Any good AH novels?

Robert Conroy's 1901 and 1945 are my favorites.
Red Inferno is probably my third favorite, but after that his books are really hit-or-miss.

In the Presence of Mine Enemies and Ruled Britannia are solid stand alones by Turtledove.

If we start moving in more ASB territory, then the Clockwork Century Series by Cherie Priest is pretty good.
Heavy on the Steampunk/ASB side, given that Bigfoot and Zombies are real.

In the presence of mine enemies is actually my favorite turtledove novel. I found it to be a very plausible Nazi Germany. The silly love story aside.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Turtledove

In the presence of mine enemies is actually my favorite turtledove novel. I found it to be a very plausible Nazi Germany. The silly love story aside.

My parents enjoyed that one.

Ruled Britannia was very well done.

I still like Guns of The South and How Few Remain though the former is rather dated these days

The original Worldwar trilogy was fun, it probably seems like a cliche now, but that's because its seeming like a cliche of itself

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I'll second the recommendation on Trinity's Child. It's a good choice: the movie they did based on it (By Dawn's Early Light) is great; one of the best WW III movies made.

Back then, they were considered "future history" but Sir John Hackett's The Third World War: August, 1985, and The Third World War: The Untold Story, can now be called Alternate History. Both are excellent. Harold Coyle's Team Yankee (set in the Hackett novels), plus Sword Point (a U.S-Soviet conflict after a Soviet invasion of Iran), and the books that follow, also fall into AH nowadays.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'll second the recommendation on Trinity's Child. It's a good choice: the movie they did based on it (By Dawn's Early Light) is great; one of the best WW III movies made.

I really like that film! Fantastic performances from Rip Torn, Powers Boothe, James Earl Ray and Rebecca de Mornay.

Would I be right in assuming the torpedo that hits the carrier is a nuclear torpedo? Since it seems assumed that its sinking, I was surprised one torpedo could do that

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

The fact that the carrier sent a Mayday after being torpedoed argues against a nuke. It was likely the Type-65 650-mm conventional torpedo...the one the USN calls "Long Lanceski." One version is a wake-homer, the others are passive homing. 1000 to 1200-pound HE warhead. And probably more than one hit the carrier.

I'll second the recommendations for Fatherland, How Few Remain, Resurrection Day, SS-GB, and The Peshawar Lancers.

Fatherland offered a creepy and well executed interpretation of a surviving Nazi Germany.

How Few Remain is an excellent take on the Confederate victory AH trope. It, and the rather lackluster series that followed, presented a rather dystopic North America where the dark side of jingoism and nationalism runs rampant. Unfortunately the series jumped the shark with the whole 'Confederate Nazis' thing. (IMO that was Harry not taking 2000 very well.) But the first book is one of Turtledove's best.

Resurrection Day features an underused POD (the Cuban Missile Crisis), offering a rather dark take on '70s America. Only the continued existence of western Europe in the presented scenario really stretches one's sense of disbelief. Otherwise it's a good story.

SS-GB is arguably the best 'successful Sealion' story ever written, mostly because it simply skips past the affair and begins in a rather bleak post war world.

The Peshawar Lancers is probably Stirling's best. IMO he should have written a sequel to that rather than that ASB takes the tech away series of his. That or more stand-alones like it.

Some good well-known ones, like Fatherland and Resurrection Day, have already been mentioned, so let me promote another one:

The Summer Isles, by Ian R. MacLeod

The story is set in an ATL 1940 in which, following a Central Powers victory in World War I, Britain has been the country which has been set on the road to radicalism. The story is set in a fascist Britain, and the protagonist is a gay Oxford history professor who is living with his closeted sexuality in this authoritarian society, and has a mysterious connection to the British dictator.

It's a combination of pure alternate history and a well-written novel with good characters. Consider checking it out.

I would recommend Fatherland, Robert Conroy's 1901, 1920: America's Great War, The Man in the High Castle, Axis of Time, The Guns of the South and Timeline-191.(I never understood 191's bad reputation on this site.)