An Ausonian Tale: the Kingdom of Naples in the XIX century

I am very sorry, but I have to put a stop to this TL: I tried to revive it, but at the moment my interests have drifted to the middle ages, and, as my time is limited and I cannot work on multiple TLs, I don't want to keep you waiting for an update that is unlikely to come.
Maybe in future I will do a remake, but for now An Ausonian Tale is put on indefinite hyatus. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks to all who followed and gave useful comments and suggestions.

Announcement!

This Timeline is going to be rebooted!

So, I am asking for your suggestions and comments on what you would like to be different in the new and improved edition.

One thing that I will spoil is that the POD will be different, namely Joachim dying in early 1814 and leaving the Kingdom to his rather more political-savy wife, Caroline Bonaparte-Murat.

I was very tempted lately to try my hand at a 1848 unification, mainly because that would be closer to the time of ironclads :), but I realised that the only chance would be to have a Piedmont-lead unification and I really dislike the later Savoyard Kings.

Instead Napoleonid Naples offers the opportunity of developing the "continuity break" introduced by the French administration. In the end, the North can develop just fine on its own, but for Italy to do better, an improved management of the South is needed.

Last edited:
It's a big change for sure, although I am not able to understand why the early death of Murat would benefit Naples: the political savvy of Caroline would be available anyway. Murat's death opens the door to a longish regency, since Achilles would be just 13 and his brother 9. Worse than that, Achilles growing up without a father became very eccentric (some unkind person might say worse than that): growing up in Naples as the future king would certainly be much better than growing up in Austria with little money and under suspicion, but still he may not end up as a full functional adult. Anyway you're the author, and I suppose you'll explain the narrative reasons for this surprise.

As far as the Savoys are concerned, I do fully understand and share your distaste. There are however ways to change OTL succession, and spin the wheel: Vittorio Emanuele might die in September 1822 when his nursery was consumed by a fire, and in such a case the succession would go to Ferdinando, who was born in November 1822 (the death of his infant son might also send Carlo Alberto over the bend, since he was already depressed, and open the door to a very long regency, but maybe it would be too much of a feuilleton); another possibility is that Umberto I does not marry his bloody first cousin Margherita, who had a very bad influence over him: I suppose there is some other princess who might be chosen, and whoever she is it would be a major improvement.

It wouldn't be a regency, as the Bayonne Statute provided for Caroline to succeed Joachim, male primogeniture would become the rule only starting with the next generation. Caroline has the disadvantage of being related by blood to Napoleon, and of being a woman obviously, but the chief reason for having this change is that I feel that changing the personality of someone who was already an adult is one of the least plausible PODs. In my opinion Caroline as a ruler would be considered much less threatening than Joachim and has higher chances of being left alone.

Not sure if I need a no hundred days solution as a secondary POD, it would help to ensure Napoleonid survival in Naples, but would also cause a much quicker divergence from otl, which could be problematic.

Achille was a bit peculiar in otl, yes, this will be played with a bit in the TL, maybe, but he will certainly be much different from the Floridan extravagant gentleman that he would become in real history. The responsibility of rule and a military schooling should be enough to make is intellect more focused than IOTL.

No comment on Carlo Alberto ;)

A Bonaparte on a throne after the 100 Days? Not threathening?
Re CA: Grand Guignol coming, I see

Mmm... this needs some thinking.
Even keeping Joachim alive I feel that a POD in 1814 might be needed: when Murat started his war against Austria during the 100 days his situation was already compromised. I also want to avoid the conflict with Sicily as that seems a bit forced and not so realistic.

I am starting to think that a no hundred days situation is needed for Murat to keep Naples. The problem is that then the TL should be more on the effects on Europe as a whole than on the Kingdom of Naples.

What about having Murat get seriously sick in 1814? By the time he recovers, he will have avoided the brush up with the Austrians, and the 100 Days too. Bonus point is Caroline having an opportunity to prove her political skills, without becoming a reigning queen (she might head a council of regency), because I am not convinced that a Bonaparte queen might survive in the post-Vienna Europe. Caroline may come into her own by slow steps, and this should have long lasting effects even once Murat eventually recovers. Another bonus point is that this long sickness might also change for better Murat's personality and mellow him a bit, by confronting him with the very real possibility of an early death.

This way you can avoid introducing a second major POD, and European landscape is not changed other than by having a surviving Murat dinasty in Naples.
The invasion of Calabria can be avoided, although it was an interesting read and did wonders to firm up the army and the general support of the dinasty. However there must be some reasons for keeping up an independent Naples, and I do believe that Russia must play a role in the diplomatic game to achieve this.