America stays out of World War One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Wolf

Donor
If the USA remained out...ah, I've said all this before

OK, to those who doubt it - can you find me the following ?

- Credits given to the Allies before US entry and afterwards (by month or by year will do)

- Manufacturing paid for in the USA that the Allies did not have access to before the US entered the war

- Manpower increases for :-
--frontline troops
--aerial formations
--logisitics

- Whether the Allied ability to reinforce the Italians, or make a push out of Salonika is feasible without someone to replace the units on the Western Front ?

Grey Wolf

Actually to raise one point (there's others I'll get back to when I've time), you could argue that one factor in American entry was simple geography. Both sides were trying a strategy of blockade. Britain,forced by its location to become a highly developed naval power, could enforce a surface blockade. Germany had to resort to submarine warfare. One seized ships, the other had to sink them. With the obvious potential for civilian casualties in the second, it's no wonder that feeling rose against Germany.

Another aspect of a neutral US in WWI- how would the civil rights movement been affected, if at all ? Would the Jim Crow system have been less challenged in this ATL had there not been 200,000 African-American soldiers sent to France who came back unwilling to accept the traditional inequality they'd always been subject to ? .

Yes the civil rights thing would have developed differently.

& a Few other points:

The US Army would have not had its defficiency in staff skills/training revealed in such a humiliating manner. Neither would the Army have gained any experience in large scale mobilization. Essentially the US Army would have been hard pressed to break out of the mind set of the Frontier Constabulary. Even if the leaders wanted to it is unlikely the politicians would have funded major reforms.

Lacking the experience of the 1917-18 mobilization there would have been no organized reserve of officers/NCOs and the State Militias would have remained near worthless. Nothing like the National Guard would have come into existance.

Bottom line is when the US does eventually stumble into a war, say against Japan, the Army will suffer severe embarrasment.

Politically the US will remain alone on the world stage. Not entirely isolationist but apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.