Alternate North American Names

For the Mexican state of Jalisco:

Xalisco-Spelling used prior to 1836.
Guadalajara-Of course the name of the capital. In 1786, as part of the Bourbon Reforms, Spain reorganized what is now Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Nayarit and Colima into the "Intendancy of Guadalajara," so it has historical precedent.
Nueva Galicia-Regional subdivision of New Spain during the colonial period, centered in Jalisco.

Nayarit:

Tepic-Name of the capital, as well as the name of the territory prior to statehood.

Tamaulipas:

Nuevo Santander-Name prior to independence.

Michoacán:

Valladolid-Name of capital prior to independence (today it's Morelia).

Also, various states employ the names of independence leaders and the like (such as Hidalgo, Morelos, Quintana Roo and Guerrero from OTL). Other prominant leaders without a state named in their honor include Allende, Iturbide (if he gets a batter rap post independence), Guadalupe Victoria, etc. Of course exercise caution when using names, don't throw them around unless there's good enough reasoning a state would be named as such (of course this can apply to any other country).

Last edited:
New York = New (Nieuw) Amsterdam

New Amsterdam? I don't know. I've already got New Netherlands.

one that i came up with recently for Nuevo Leon in Mexico was simply "Monterrey" after its capital and largest city

For the Mexican state of Jalisco:

Xalisco-Spelling used prior to 1836.
Guadalajara-Of course the name of the capital. In 1786, as part of the Bourbon Reforms, Spain reorganized what is now Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Nayarit and Colima into the "Intendancy of Guadalajara," so it has historical precedent.
Nueva Galicia-Regional subdivision of New Spain during the colonial period, centered in Jalisco.

Nayarit:

Tepic-Name of the capital, as well as the name if the territory prior to statehood.

Tamaulipas:

Nuevo Santander-Name prior to independence.

Michoacán:

Valladolid-Name of capital prior to independence (today it's Morelia).

Also, various states employ the names of independence leaders and the like (such as Hidalgo, Morelos, Quintana Roo and Guerrero from OTL). Other prominant leaders without a state named in their honor include Allende, Iturbide (if he gets a batter rap post independence), Guadalupe Victoria, etc. Of course exercise caution when using names, don't throw them around unless there's good enough reasoning a state would be named as such (of course this can apply to any other country).

Added! :)

I'm just saying if it lasted for the English to take it over instead of taking it over from the Dutch who took it over.

Hmm, okay. However, New Sweden would perhaps be a better name for New Jersey.

What about adding New Sweden for Delaware? Or Lenape(hoking), for that matter, since the indigenous people known as the Delaware are more correctly called the Lenape?

What about adding New Sweden for Delaware? Or Lenape(hoking), for that matter, since the indigenous people known as the Delaware are more correctly called the Lenape?

I already have New Sweden for New Jersey. New Sweden didn't cover a lot of today's Delaware territory, so I really don't think it'll be plausible in any way.

Lenape[hoking] is added, though. ;)

How about Newcastle then for Delaware?

What's the etymology?

I already have New Sweden for New Jersey. New Sweden didn't cover a lot of today's Delaware territory, so I really don't think it'll be plausible in any way.

Lenape[hoking] is added, though. ;)
With due respect, I disagree. The seat of New Sweden was in Delaware, and the bulk of New Jersey at the time was effectively an extension of New Netherland. Fort Christina, the first Swedish outpost in the area, is also in Delaware.

500px-Nieuw_Nederland_and_Nya_Sverige.svg.png

How about NJ as (North) New Sweden and Delaware as (South) New Sweden?

What's the etymology?
It's the Northernmost county in Delaware. It is home to Fort Casimir, later known as New Castle, a former Dutch outpost in the state.

In my The Fox and the Lillies TL, I have "Brendan Island" instead of Baffin Island, since its European discoverer was a fan of the idea that the island belonged to one of the faraway northern lands discovered by Saint Brendan of Clonfert, the fabled Irish seafaring monk. And North America is called "North Occidentia" in that TL. No stealing, guys and gals, the TL is still being written ! ;)

Alabama
– Catawba

Alaska
– Aleutia

Alberta
– Grampian

Arizona
– Colorado
– Yavapaya

British Columbia
– [New] Rothesay
– [New] Argyll/Argyle

California
– Sierra

Colorado
– Rococima (a faux Spanish word roughly meaning “rocky peak” that I created for CoHE)

Idaho
– Paluice/Palouse
– Boise

Maine
– Penobscot

Michigan
– Cadillac
– Pontchartrain

Nevada
– Ponderosa

New Brunswick
– Guelph

North Dakota
– Pembina

Saskatchewan
– Carlton

South Dakota
– Oyatah

Tennessee
– Cumberland

Utah
– Wasatch

Washington
– Tahoma
– Oregon

West Virginia
– Allegheny

Wyoming
– Indiana

With due respect, I disagree. The seat of New Sweden was in Delaware, and the bulk of New Jersey at the time was effectively an extension of New Netherland. Fort Christina, the first Swedish outpost in the area, is also in Delaware.

How about NJ as (North) New Sweden and Delaware as (South) New Sweden?

That's fine.

Thanks. :)

Alabama
– Catawba

How would Alabama be called Catawba?

Alaska
– Aleutia

Alberta
– Grampian

Aren't the Grampian Mountains in Scotland?

Arizona
– Colorado
– Yavapaya

I already have [South] Colorado.

British Columbia
– [New] Rothesay
– [New] Argyll/Argyle

The etymology, please?

California
– Sierra

Again, the etymology?

Colorado
– Rococima (a faux Spanish word roughly meaning “rocky peak” that I created for CoHE)

I don't think that's very plausible.

Idaho
– Paluice/Palouse
– Boise

Isn't the Palouse in Washington?

Maine
– Penobscot

:cool:

Michigan
– Cadillac
– Pontchartrain

The problem with the Cadillac Lake is that it is located away from the coast. Therefore, it would not be the first thing the Europeans would come in contact with, and it isn't very plausible.

Nevada
– Ponderosa

El etymology, por favor?

New Brunswick
– Guelph

Wikipedia tells me that Guelph is in Ontario. Etymology?

North Dakota
– Pembina

:)

Saskatchewan
– Carlton

The etymology, please?

South Dakota
– Oyatah

See above....

Tennessee
– Cumberland

;)

Utah
– Wasatch

:)

Washington
– Tahoma
– Oregon

What's the difference between Tahoma and Tacoma?

West Virginia
– Allegheny

:cool:

Wyoming
– Indiana

Why would Wyoming be named Indiana when Indiana had already been named that 80 years ago?

You know, several states share their names with Pennsylvania counties. Perhaps the trend becomes more widespread? Imagine a state called Juniata or Lycoming. There very nearly was a Franklin, and Allegheny was certainly an option for West Virginia.

You know, several states share their names with Pennsylvania counties. Perhaps the trend becomes more widespread? Imagine a state called Juniata or Lycoming. There very nearly was a Franklin, and Allegheny was certainly an option for West Virginia.

Oh yeah. Imagine a "Potter" state. :D