Alternate Cars' registration plates thread

Thande

Donor
The last one is quite nasty. :p

That is the actual motto they put on their existing license plates.

DC_2001_SAMPLE.jpg

Thande

Donor
I guess it is a bit amusing, seeing as they've decided to omitt "no".

No, that's the joke. Residents of Washington DC can't vote in some elections (I can't remember which ones) because they're a district and not in any state.

Thande

Donor
Aaaah.

That is awesome.

I found details on the Infallible Genocide...

Citizens of the District of Columbia have no voting representation in Congress. They are represented in the House of Representatives by a non-voting delegate, Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C. At-Large), who may sit on committees, participate in debate, and introduce legislation, but cannot vote on the House floor. D.C. has no representation in the United States Senate. Unlike U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico or Guam, which also have non-voting delegates, citizens of the District of Columbia are subject to all U.S. federal laws and taxes.[132] In the financial year 2007, D.C. residents and businesses paid $20.4 billion in federal taxes; more than the taxes collected from 19 states and the highest federal taxes per capita.[133]

A 2005 poll found that 78% of Americans did not know that residents of the District of Columbia have less representation in Congress than residents of the 50 states.[134] Efforts to raise awareness about the issue have included campaigns by grassroots organizations as well as featuring the city's unofficial motto, "Taxation Without Representation", on D.C. vehicle license plates.[135] In a show of support for the city, President Bill Clinton used the "Taxation Without Representation" plates on the presidential limousine; however, President George W. Bush had the tags replaced to those without the motto shortly upon taking office.[136]

There is evidence of nationwide approval for DC voting rights; various polls indicate that 61 to 82% of Americans believe that D.C. should have voting representation in Congress.[134][137] Despite public support, attempts to grant the District voting representation, including the D.C. statehood movement and the proposed District of Columbia Voting Rights Amendment, have been unsuccessful. Opponents of D.C. voting rights propose that the Founding Fathers never intended for District residents to have a vote in Congress since the Constitution makes clear that representation must come from the states. Those opposed to making D.C. a state claim that such a move would destroy the notion of a separate national capital and that statehood would unfairly grant Senate representation to a single city.[138] District residents were barred from voting for the President of the United States until 1961; the Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution grants the District three votes in the Electoral College.

Yes they put "Taxation without representation" on their plate. I've seen it myself. :cool:

VulcanTrekkie: They will come sometime. :p

Thande

Donor
What would be ironic is if the US europlates actually all bore the presidential seal on the left, but everyone had taped stickers over it showing their states' seals...like what happens with the EU flag on British numberplates.

Thande

Donor
Ooh, I've just found there's an exact reversal of the one I found before, where U.S. armed forces with NATO in Germany used europlates...

This is used by the British Army in Kuwait apparently.

gb_15km28.jpg

This is for you, VulcanTrekkie!

MAliscenceplate.jpg

Massachusetts.

PAliscenceplate.jpg

Pennsylvania. (ATL they use an actual Coat-of-Arms, not the only state to do so.)

EDIT: Curse you, Tuvaluan license plate makers!!!!

Thande

Donor
Those are great plates, D-man.

After you've done the US, maybe we'll pester you to do some for other places that deserve a bit more distinctiveness than they get. ;)