Alternate Automotive Layout Developments?

With OTL automotive technology, they would drive to Jutland, then perhaps take a ferry across. Or alternately, drive to an airport, fly, and then rent a car.

In ATL automotive technology, they would drive to a local station. There they would disengage the engine, attach their coach to a train pulled by an engine as if it were on rails, and ride a kind of segmented bus composed of their own coach and other coaches to Jutland. There the train of coaches would board a ferry. The engine remains behind after it loads the train on the ferry to make a return trip. The train of coaches travels on the ferry to Oslo, or for the sake of argument, Christiania. There it is unloaded by an engine specific to the purpose, and a service there rents engines, attaching different ones to each coach. The family then drives north on its own scenic tour.

What's gained is some of the efficiency of train travel, with one engine pulling multiple loads in a kind of combination train/tractor trailor/bus. But you also get the versatility of the automobile, with the family on vacation reaching its destination able to split off and travel in their own direction, not having to follow a set of rails, meet a schedule, or sleep while on a moving train (which Mutti just can't do).

The real advantage of a train is the steel on steel wheels. Here, the ONLY advantage you have is a possibly more efficient puller - but then you have to be able to hook the coaches up in series, which seems like unnecessary extra complication.

I don't see this as being at all practical, sorry.

The real advantage of a train is the steel on steel wheels. Here, the ONLY advantage you have is a possibly more efficient puller - but then you have to be able to hook the coaches up in series, which seems like unnecessary extra complication.

I don't see this as being at all practical, sorry.

Yeah, I see the problems. Although I think there is the possibility for greater efficiency. After all, the mass of an engine does not increase proportionate to its pulling power. So one engine pulling multiple vehicles has superior efficiency to one engine per vehicle.

That said, there are problems that happen when one vehicle pulls multiple others. The possibility for jacknifing, or for mishaps when backing up, is very great. I was thinking perhaps this could be solved by having two tongues for the "cabs" instead of one, perhaps mounted on circular platforms that would still permit greater flexibility in turning, but not so great that the front of the rear vessel could hit the front vessel. If that makes sense.

Of course Driftless (thank you, btw!) is giving me ideas for permutations of the idea that could work.

Also, I've been thinking about possible locomotion ideas: in Tony Jones's Gurkani Alam in particular, I remember reading that, ITTL, pneumatic tires were somehow never invented at all(no offense meant, but this seems somewhat implausible, TBH), and instead, something akin to mini tank-tracks became the standard. Quoting from his site:

http://www.clockworksky.net/gurkani_alam/ah_mughal_scitech.html#transportation_technology

Instead wheels have individually sprung segments, rather like a circular tank track, with a rubberised 'foot' on the end to reduce noise and road wear. Each segment has its own shock absorber (or sometimes two), and often a flexible link with adjacent segments to keep dirt from getting between them. This gives suspension, smoothes the ride and gives immunity to punctures and other damage.

Could this really work out? Or is it just too impractical to see widespread use?

Driftless

Donor
Also, I've been thinking about possible locomotion ideas: in Tony Jones's Gurkani Alam in particular, I remember reading that, ITTL, pneumatic tires were somehow never invented at all(no offense meant, but this seems somewhat implausible, TBH), and instead, something akin to mini tank-tracks became the standard. Quoting from his site:

http://www.clockworksky.net/gurkani_alam/ah_mughal_scitech.html#transportation_technology

Could this really work out? Or is it just too impractical to see widespread use?

Like the Pedrail wheel, or not quite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedrail_wheel

008.jpg

ped+5.JPG

Last edited: