Air Force roundels and markings thread

Dorozhand

Banned
Rohirrim Airforce :D

Rohan Air Force.png

Rohan Air Force.png

Yeah, almost forgot that this is not a recent work. :) Sorry if I sounded a bit too pedantic in the previous post. :eek:

No worries. After your comment I went and had a look through the notes I had for the TL and found no explanation, so I guess it just seemed appropriate at the time.

In the same vein of belated cross-postings, this is from not too long ago:

Darlanist France.png

Dorozhand

Banned
Air Force Roundel of the Free City of Constantinople (1923-1941) A state that was formed in the aftermath of a decisive Greek victory in the Third Greco-Turkish War. It was invaded and reconquered by a revanchist Ottoman Empire which joined in the Second World War on the side of the Axis.

Const. Airforce.png

Const. Airforce.png

Oh my... :eek: What happened to France ? :) I know who happened, but I also want to know what.

The basic idea is that I'd read that apparently Darlan was considering taking the Fleet and continuing the fight when France signed the armistice. These are the *Free French of TTL, but with better legitimacy, control over virtually all of French territory outside of Europe, and a fairly decently sized military, with the navy leading the way. The flags and roundels are temporary, designed to be sufficiently different from the pro-Nazi Vichy regime that when they face each other in combat - which they do - each can identify friend from foe. The naval ensign is designed to resemble the British one to enhance recognition. The flag is based on an ensign used during the revolutionary wars.

There is a civilian government and administration and so on, but Darlan is definitely the man calling the shots.

Roundels during Sino-Soviet War, 1986.
We assume the Aircraft painting to be grey.
The Japanese Volunteers Corps (Land and Aerial) in question were helping China since the beginning of the war.
When the Soviet invaded Japan as well (this invasion progressed far better than the invasion of China, and the entire country was occupied within a matter of days), the Volunteer's Corp became Japanese Restoration Army(日本光復軍), "Army (軍)" means armed forces.
Japanese.PNG

Japanese.PNG

Last edited:
Republic of Maryland Air Force (ROMAF)

Actually it's just the SSI of the MD ARNG. ;)

Guess OTL is not so dull after all. :D :cool: Maryland has generally one of the best flags and insignia of all existing US states. They are traditional and look historic at the same time.

Roundel of the Falangist Free State of Silesia, from the Sparrow Avengers universe.

The FFSS was established after the succesful coup d'état against the monarchy in the mid-1930s. Falangist Silesia was an ally and virtual puppet regime of a then-rising fascist, highly revanchist regime in Germany (no, not the Nazis, but someone almost as bad). The roundel of FS reflects this, taking cues from the new German regime's flag (black iron cross in a white circle on a red field), while paying lip service to the traditional vexilological/heraldic colours of Upper Silesia and Middle Silesia and the Silesian heraldic eagle (to which they added their falangist symbol anyway).

Falangistické Sliezsko.png

Last edited:
Pretty cool. The flower design on the PLAAF roundel reminds of me of South Korea's coat of arms. :)

200px-Emblem_of_South_Korea.svg.png
I always thought it's a cool emblem.
In this TL, when the Chinese counter-attack and push the Russians back to Siberia, the South Koreans may have a chance to unify their country. Depends on how the Great Leader reacted to Russian Occupation of China.

Roundel of the Democratic Republic of Orava and Kysuce from the Sparrow Avengers universe.

(The republic covers the area of the Orava and Kysuce regions. Despite the ominous undertones of such an official name, it's actually a functioning democratic republic, albeit with a few flaws. These are mostly due to a weaker economy when compared with those of its richer southern neighbours. The aerial component of the armed forces is the Orava-Kysuce Air Guard, OKAG for short.)

Výsostný znak DR Oravy a Kysúc.png

The Orava-Kysuce Air Guard's roundel is nicknamed the jedlička ("little fir tree") by the air guard's pilots and personnel.

letov-lz-395-krkavec-vo-farb%C3%A1ch-drok-png.207259

Czech-produced Letov L-395 Krkavec ("Raven") fighter of the Orava-Kysuce Air Guard (vzdušná stráž). A mainstay in the 1930s OKAG.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to criticque my roundels, boohoohoo... :( :eek:

Aww.

Quick crit then - they mostly have rather complex devices in the centre, which I imagine would be difficult to pick out at several hundred kph. They're also all discs, which isn't necessarily bad, but there are other options out there. Other than that, they're all quite nice.

Aww.

Quick crit then - they mostly have rather complex devices in the centre, which I imagine would be difficult to pick out at several hundred kph. They're also all discs, which isn't necessarily bad, but there are other options out there. Other than that, they're all quite nice.

Thank you. :)

The most complicated of the ones I've posted so far is the falangist Silesian roundel - but that's deliberate. Those guys don't care for practicality, they only care for intimidation and "sending a message" to their potential adversaries. The rest of the roundels mostly try to avoid any hard-to-paint shapes or charges, though I admit that the tree in the latest one might take some time to paint. But it's meant as more of a template for the charge on other specimens of the roundel, it doesn't have to be the exact same shape, outside of a few details. That country uses planes with lighter camo colours and doesn't have that much aircraft anyway, so the roundel's visibility isn't that affected, despite its darker colours. The tree charge doesn't appear in other local air force roundels either.

While I've mostly used cocade roundels up until now, I've also used a square, a pentagon and tetragon. Don't worry, at least half of the roundels in the setting will have more unique shapes than a circular one.