Air and Space Photos from Alternate Worlds.

Should have made one of those Saturn Vs out in the colors of the Vatican Strategic Rocket Force.

I, playing a diplomatic game as Pakistan, sold Strategic nuclear rockets to the Vatican ... but those damn godless Commies sunk several of my transports ...

It was a seriously dystopic world ... IIRC included a ( successful ) Mexican invasion of the US and a cold war between Turkey ( not Ottoman, Turkey ) and Japan ...

Australian Army United Nations peacekeepers on patrol duty in the streets of the city Los Angeles, California, in support of the United Nations Assistance Mission in the United States of America (UNAMIUSA), arrest and detain an American man suspected of looting. The man pleads with the soldiers, claiming that he was not looting. Photo by the Associated Press, taken on August 1st, 2007.

Neat photo, and it's certainly alternate history, but I think you meant to post it in the other thread, not this one, since it doesn't have anything to do with air or space that I can see...?

not bad, but mine are BAD ASSED!:cool:

and the best part is most if not all of these are from real world propsoals,
the ones with the Titan stages.

(pic found in a random google image search.)

Upper left: S 1B lower stage, upper stage...is there one?
Middle: Saturn V modification with F-1 based LRBs, not sure how many engines per but it looks like they may be essentially modified S1Cs. It'd be amazingly loud, for sure.
Upper Right: Saturn V modification, no SIVB, looks like Shuttle SRBs.
Lower Left: Pretty sure that's Jarvis
Lower Right: Saturn 1B-derived lower stage, maybe. The uppers...agena? I dunno, but they're pretty small-diameter.

Am I anywhere close?

Middle: Saturn V modification with F-1 based LRBs, not sure how many engines per but it looks like they may be essentially modified S1Cs. It'd be amazingly loud, for sure.
Lower Right: Saturn 1B-derived lower stage, maybe. The uppers...agena? I dunno, but they're pretty small-diameter.

Am I anywhere close?

Upper left: not sure about that one.
Middle: modifed S1-C's (common core booster concept taken to the max!)
Upper Right: Saturn 1B with Titan 3 SRB's
Lower Right: Saturn 1B 1'st stage with a Titan 2 as stage 2 & 3!
Lower Left: that is a new one for me, but it looks like it has a S-IVb second stage and a maybe 2 F-1 engine first stage.

the titan/saturn one's i have seen or heard of before of, the others i am guessing at.:)

they would make some bitching models to build:D

Am I anywhere close?

Upper left: Looks like a baseline Saturn I to me. The S-IV was a bit smaller than the S-IVB, IIRC.

Middle: Looks like that one Boeing proposal to lash four S-ICs and four S-IIs together into a booster that could deliver 500 metric tons to LEO. Of course, such a thing would mean rebuilding the VAB, probably heavy modifications to the crawlers, a whole new LC, and the relocation of Kennedy Space Center to a distance of at least ten kilometers because imagine what would happen if that abomination failed on launch.

Upper Right: Look like 260-inch motors to me. See the CGIs I posted on the page before.

Lower Left: that is a new one for me, but it looks like it has a S-IVb second stage and a maybe 2 F-1 engine first stage.
It's Jarvis, I'm pretty sure. The first stage is indeed a 2xF1 kerolox, the second stage is J2-based hydrolox but not actually a SIVB (8.38 m diameter, not 6.6, and about 30 tons more fuel), the third stage is 8xR4D N2O4/MMH. It was a Hughes study in the mid-80s, capability to orbit of 38 metric tons.

Upper left: Looks like a baseline Saturn I to me. The S-IV was a bit smaller than the S-IVB, IIRC.
Yeah, you got it. For comparison:

Saturn_I_profiles.jpg

Middle: Looks like that one Boeing proposal to lash four S-ICs and four S-IIs together into a booster that could deliver 500 metric tons to LEO.
Can't be. Look at it, the 10 m diameter on the core continues up past the boosters. It's a cluster of 5 S1Cs with the standard 1xSII and 1xSIVB on top. A lot of lift, sure, but not 500 tons. It'd still need tons of pad mods.

Upper Right: Look like 260-inch motors to me. See the CGIs I posted on the page before.
I'm not sure, they don't look wide enough in comparison to the 10 m S1C core. 260-inch is 6.6 m, so it should look similarly sized as the SIVB would, and those don't. I think Wingman's got it and those are 7-seg Titan solids.

I'm not sure, they don't look wide enough in comparison to the 10 m S1C core. 260-inch is 6.6 m, so it should look similarly sized as the SIVB would, and those don't. I think Wingman's got it and those are 7-seg Titan solids.

[blinks]

Huh. I thought those were around an S-IC/S-II combo. But you're right, they are about the right diameter to be Titan III Solids if the core is a 6.6 meter stage. EDIT: And they have that tell-tale nozzle angle and N2O4 tank.

[blinks]

Huh. I thought those were around an S-IC/S-II combo. But you're right, they are about the right diameter to be Titan III Solids if the core is a 6.6 meter stage. EDIT: And they have that tell-tale nozzle angle and N2O4 tank.

it had me fooled for a bit anyway. i have allways wondered about a Saturn 1 or 5, with shuttle type SRB's whold have done.

( i have belived that the Saturns should have been devloped a bit further, maybe alongside shuttle.)

(this would have been so kool to see!)

5_scr_21_3.jpg

Ah...Saturn variants. What should have been if not for LBJ ordering the Saturn tooling destroyed, and Nixon not countermanding the order once he got into office. Some of those Saturn variants are very similar to what Stephen Baxter had in his novel Voyage, about a TL where there's no Shuttle, and Apollo derived hardware is the backbone of the program, with a U.S. human landing on Mars in 1985.

Ah...Saturn variants. What should have been if not for LBJ ordering the Saturn tooling destroyed, and Nixon not countermanding the order once he got into office. Some of those Saturn variants are very similar to what Stephen Baxter had in his novel Voyage, about a TL where there's no Shuttle, and Apollo derived hardware is the backbone of the program, with a U.S. human landing on Mars in 1985.

ya mean this?

(I LOVE THIS ONE!!, i have got to get the book sometime, :D)(someone has to build a model of this!;))

youtube link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbvM5HuQRE

Ares-SaturnVB.jpg

Pretty close, but I recall Baxter's Saturn VB (that's what he assumed NASA would designate it) had two SRBs instead of four. The whole Mars vehicle took nine launches with Saturn VB to assemble in LEO before the tenth launch, which had the crew and then departure: a Venus flyby for gravity assist before going to Mars-after a failure with a NERVA-powered Apollo in LEO (all three crew killed).

Petike

Kicked
9_1_b1.jpg

9_1_b1_a1.jpg

Bf-109 of the Imperial Republic of Britain, an ally of the Reich (ASB TL where Mosley pulled a succesful coup in the late 1930s, abolished the monarchy and made Britain join the Axis). :p

3_1.jpg

And here's another American Messerschmitt. This one comes from the universe of The Man in the High Castle.

Pretty close, but I recall Baxter's Saturn VB (that's what he assumed NASA would designate it) had two SRBs instead of four. The whole Mars vehicle took nine launches with Saturn VB to assemble in LEO before the tenth launch, which had the crew and then departure: a Venus flyby for gravity assist before going to Mars-after a failure with a NERVA-powered Apollo in LEO (all three crew killed).

No, it had four:

Voyage said:
The five liquid rocket engines of the Saturn VB booster's first stage, the MS-1C, had ignited a full eight seconds ahead of the enhanced Saturn's four Solid Rocket Boosters

(bolded for clarity). The mission plan was a pretty standard opposition-class plan, there were plenty of those in the '70s and '80s OTL; they've just disappeared from the scene since Zubrin, more or less. The move towards ISRU and the scientific advantages of the conjunction-class plans (you get something like 20 times the surface duration for a 20% increase in overall duration) means they died out.

(bolded for clarity). The mission plan was a pretty standard opposition-class plan, there were plenty of those in the '70s and '80s OTL; they've just disappeared from the scene since Zubrin, more or less. The move towards ISRU and the scientific advantages of the conjunction-class plans (you get something like 20 times the surface duration for a 20% increase in overall duration) means they died out.

Indeed. Even in the latest Design Reference Mission, despite an (IMO) excessive size increase (seven Ares V rockets and NTR?), NASA is keeping to the principles of Mars Semi-Direct.

Here's a rocket design that's been getting on my nerves. I've seen only this one drawing on Astronautix, and no other source.

titnwing.gif

It's a Titan rocket (not sure if it's a Titan I or II) landing on a runway.

Does anyone here know what it is?

The reason I ask is because, having read Heppenheimer's "The Space Shuttle Decision," I wonder what NASA's development would have been if it had adopted Titan III derivatives, perhaps with this sort of reusability as time went on, instead of Shuttle or Saturn after Apollo.

EDIT: Found it. It only appeared in some Popular Magazines in 1960 (according to the fellow who writes the Astronautix site). Here's another shot:

titnwin1.gif

Can't tell if it's only the first stage or both stages that have wings.

How plausible could this design have been, anyhow?

Found it. It only appeared in some Popular Magazines in 1960 (according to the fellow who writes the Astronautix site). Here's another shot:

titnwin1.gif

Can't tell if it's only the first stage or both stages that have wings.

How plausible could this design have been, anyhow?
Looks like just the first stage with wings there in the second image, and the upper stages seem to lack wings in the full-vehicle first drawing. I could believe there's enough wing area there to sustain flight, the question is whether they'd have enough structural integrity and thermal protection to sustain the deceleration to landing speeds.

Looks like just the first stage with wings there in the second image, and the upper stages seem to lack wings in the full-vehicle first drawing. I could believe there's enough wing area there to sustain flight, the question is whether they'd have enough structural integrity and thermal protection to sustain the deceleration to landing speeds.

Thank you.

Assuming that the wings and turbojets could survive reentry, might it have been possible to develop fly-back first stages for Titan II and III (and potentially III-L)? Assuming a similar set of wings on the solids?