AHC: Non West /North Germanic , Non Brittonic , Non Romance England

With any POD after Caesar have a significant of the population of Britain ( England ) speak a language that isn’t West Germanic , North Germanic ( Nordic) (east germanic is allowed), Insular Celtic ( Belgic and Gaulish are allowed. Pictish is not allowed ) or a Romance Language. Basically suggest an Interesting and radically different Linguistic situation in England.

Inspired to post due to this Excellent Map made by @zalezsky .

Interesting idea . How would a gothic Britain come about though?
The Goths go westwards into the North Sea/Channel area, and then by boat? Instead of into Ukraine and then into the ERE and finally to the WRE.

Germanic peoples moved around a lot during the Migration Period, after all.

How does a Iranic England sound?

lw1trolg4vz61.png

How does a Iranic England sound?

lw1trolg4vz61.png
I remember seeing this in r/imaginarymaps . Intersting Scenario , which could be made even more interesting by having them colonize Iceland so that both the Northernmost and Southernmost IE languages are Indo Iranian ( Alans and Sinhalese).
Why wouldn't they?
Depends on when they start their Westward Migration , their time in Ukraine and Romania kinda defines them as Goths , thus the point I made. Also the Heruli , who are likely East Germanic and were at Denmark during Hadrian.

With any POD after Caesar have a significant of the population of Britain ( England ) speak a language that isn’t West Germanic , North Germanic ( Nordic) (east germanic is allowed), Insular Celtic ( Belgic and Gaulish are allowed. Pictish is not allowed ) or a Romance Language. Basically suggest an Interesting and radically different Linguistic situation in England.

Inspired to post due to this Excellent Map made by @zalezsky .
For a POD after Caesar, I can only imagine a population of Finns strong enough to expand into Norway, and then set sail for the British Isles. Why they would do that is beyond me. I can't see Basque reaching there, regardless of the reputation of the Basques as sailors.
Had you suggested a POD before Caesar, that would have been easy enough - have the stonehenge natives resist the Celts in a better way.

For a POD after Caesar, I can only imagine a population of Finns strong enough to expand into Norway, and then set sail for the British Isles. Why they would do that is beyond me. I can't see Basque reaching there, regardless of the reputation of the Basques as sailors.
The Norwegians IOTL did that, so presumably TTL's Finnish *Vikings move to Britain for the same reason, i.e., good farmland, better climate, more space.

The Norwegians IOTL did that, so presumably TTL's Finnish *Vikings move to Britain for the same reason, i.e., good farmland, better climate, more space.
I misspoke. What I actually meant was "Why and how would the Finns expand into Norway, in order to get to the British Isles in the first place?" Perahps an offshoot Lapp population would be more realistic, moving south and becoming less nomadic, and then, after several generations of living by the coast and earning seafaring experience, setting out for the islands.

I misspoke. What I actually meant was "Why and how would the Finns expand into Norway, in order to get to the British Isles in the first place?" Perahps an offshoot Lapp population would be more realistic, moving south and becoming less nomadic.
You'd probably need to increase the Finnish population, so that they have both the incentive and the means to displace the Germanic inhabitants of Norway (or else stop Germanic-speakers from settling in Norway in the first place), though I'm not sure how that might be done. Somebody inventing an improved farming technique of some description?

The Norse in Vinland manage to get a permanent settlement on Anticosti Island around 1000 AD, though they don’t expand off it. They introduce European diseases to the Americas given the increased presence, over the next few centuries they become endemic across the continent and the native American population rebounds to where it started. The Norse in Vinland never manage to expand their permanent settlement but do retain some links+contact across the Atlantic with Europe. Shipbuilding skills spread around to neighboring people.

Meanwhile, some endemic American diseases grow deadlier thanks to mutations.

Columbus lands in America in 1492 as in reality, and takes some Taino people back to Spain after. The American disease rapidly spreads across Europe and has a devastating effect, killing 95% of the European population and spreading beyond Europe too.

The crippled and near-uninhabited European continent is resettled by Native Americans, including Taino people settling the Spain area and the British Isles being settled by Inuit, Mikmaq, and Beothuk.

A Para Germanic Britain

Pre Germanic people reach Britain ca 1500-800 BC. They assimilate the natives and their language becomes a sister branch of Germanic languages

Any realistic non - IE suggestions.
Fenno-Samic Britain

Magyar Britain. The Norse defeat the Kingdom of Wessex and annex all of England. The Magyars are told they would get England if they convert and defeat the Norse. An army is gathered which invades England and defeats the Norse in battle. A British branch of the Arpad dynasty is established. Implausible yet not ASB

Last edited: