AHC: Most Culturally Americanised post-surrender Japan

With a PoD no earlier than 16 August 1945, make Japan as culturally Americanised as possible; everything else is fair game, though I would never say that I specifically asked for bloodthirsty scenarios.

Korean war never happens and US and British occupation forces stay longer. The Korean war actually ended the occupation sooner than planned and enabled politicians like Kishi to return back to power

The most obvious POD would be a greater number of conversions to Christianity-especially American style Evangelical Christianity-among Japanese. I don't see Japan becoming as Christian as OTL South Korea (25% Christian) but perhaps somewhat more successful missionary efforts especially in the immediate postwar occupation period could bring it up to say 5 or 10% of the population by the present with Christian churches largely supplanting the "new religions" that came to popular in OTL.

More Americans settling on Japan?

Hard to pull off but encouraging military and civilian personel to actually settle in Japan is a good way to achieve that

The most obvious POD would be a greater number of conversions to Christianity-especially American style Evangelical Christianity-among Japanese. I don't see Japan becoming as Christian as OTL South Korea (25% Christian) but perhaps somewhat more successful missionary efforts especially in the immediate postwar occupation period could bring it up to say 5 or 10% of the population by the present with Christian churches largely supplanting the "new religions" that came to popular in OTL.
Nope, There a reason why that didn't worked OTL, Japan already have an hostile history with Christianity since the tokugawa era so nope.

Nope, There a reason why that didn't worked OTL, Japan already have an hostile history with Christianity since the tokugawa era so nope.

As did Korea, where the government fiercely persecuted Catholic converts during the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. I think there are possible underlying cultural factors but simply attributing it to Edo period persecutions is simplistic.

As did Korea, where the government fiercely persecuted Catholic converts during the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. I think there are possible underlying cultural factors but simply attributing it to Edo period persecutions is simplistic.
I've talk with Japanese, Japanese Muslim even, Japan religious history is a minefield to put it simple but he say that Muslim got it easier as have less stigma Christian used to be.

I've talk with Japanese, Japanese Muslim even, Japan religious history is a minefield to put it simple but he say that Muslim got it easier as have less stigma Christian used to be.

Japan has had 8 Christian Prime Ministers despite them constituting a tiny percentage of the population.

Korean war never happens and US and British occupation forces stay longer. The Korean war actually ended the occupation sooner than planned and enabled politicians like Kishi to return back to power

My favourite William Gibson non-fiction quote:
And then that enemy, their conquerors, the Americans, turned up in person, smilingly intent on an astonishingly ambitious programme of cultural re-engineering. The Americans, bent on restructuring the national psyche from the roots up, inadvertently plunged the Japanese several clicks further along the time line. And then left, their grand project hanging fire, and went off to fight Communism instead.

marathag

Banned
"Japanese will be only spoken in Hell'' Adm. Halsey
Massive re-education camps from 1945-1950, with the start of the Korean War.
Until that point, the US goes full on like the Spanish did to the Aztecs

"Japanese will be only spoken in Hell'' Adm. Halsey
Massive re-education camps from 1945-1950, with the start of the Korean War.
Until that point, the US goes full on like the Spanish did to the Aztecs
Commies are going to have a field day with this

With a PoD no earlier than 16 August 1945, make Japan as culturally Americanised as possible; everything else is fair game, though I would never say that I specifically asked for bloodthirsty scenarios.
Overthrow the Monarchy and replace it with an American Style Democracy/Republic, Longer occupation, maybe until the 1960s when the new regime is more stable

If South Korea's anything to go by, many of those nominally Christian churches will be as cult-like as South Korea's own; and, given the fascination the Japanese entertainment industry seems to have for pseudo-Gnostic motifs, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to pop up in some cult or another several decades ahead of schedule. :p

America decides it’s not worth risking Japanese independence and goes for the option of Japan becoming US states instead

The US somehow gets the Japanese to undergo the same process that the Philippines went through for education, (neo-)colonization and other cultural indoctrination programs, which would then heavily influences their current society to this day.

Maybe prioritizing English as the primary language, and make them somehow much faster in developing their own variant of the language to be spoken and written by the Japanese? Only use English for laws, courts and official documents? Together for higher education, cultural affairs, print and broadcast media, businesses as well - through subsidizing the English-speaking/written versions of these as well over the Japanese ones?

Heavily outsource Japanese workers to the US and make them heavily dependent on them, forcing them to learn American language, culture and values and then apply that as they go home - something like what the US did for the Filipinos with OFWs. With that then, you'd finally get the Japanese yandering around whatever they really like and want off American culture and society as much as the Philippines and Israel does in OTL, perhaps even more if they're really successful with it.

EDIT: Fixed some formatting.

Last edited: