AHC: More linguistic diversity in America

The United States (or other nation) would need to be structurally-different as to prevent English-language assimilation. I think a combination of a French Louisiana that soon joins/gets conquered by the United States, a more state-oriented government which allows state-level official languages as per each state's constitution (already mentioned in the thread), and the lack of an American expansionalist mentality, like the one that promoted Manifest Destiny and the spread of mainstream American culture to ethnically-different lands (a bit paradoxical considering the previous point), and I think the proposal of more linguistic diversity in the Americas would work.

Yes. You can still find newspapers from various states dating back to the 1920s and 30s with published letters to the editor demanding the police raid convents to find women who were forcibly inducted into being nuns. It was in many ways similar to modern anti-Muslim sentiment, in dressing itself up as humanitarian or nationalist/security based, though more openly expressed in society.

One of the factors which explained Al Smith's failure to the 1928 Presidential election was his Roman Catholic faith, which some publicly decreed as being "foreign" and "un-American"; Protestant minister openly warned their congregants Smith was going his marching orders directly from the Vatican.

Even in the 1960s, Kennedy candidacy was marred by accusations of being subservient to the Holy See.

Yes. You can still find newspapers from various states dating back to the 1920s and 30s with published letters to the editor demanding the police raid convents to find women who were forcibly inducted into being nuns. It was in many ways similar to modern anti-Muslim sentiment, in dressing itself up as humanitarian or nationalist/security based, though more openly expressed in society.

That's nothing, I've seen newspaper article from my one state where Native US citizens used dynamite to blow up two mills as protest against French-Canadians (it was a Sunday though so nobody was hurt.)

Morty Vicar

Banned

Are those the Magdalene Asylums? To be fair they actually did hold women who had become pregnant out of wedlock against their will. That said the Mormons forced women and girls into marriage, and I don't think they received the same scrutiny.

Are those the Magdalene Asylums? To be fair they actually did hold women who had become pregnant out of wedlock against their will. That said the Mormons forced women and girls into marriage, and I don't think they received the same scrutiny.

The Mormons, whose founder was consistently persecuted and eventually shot to death?