AHC: Mass conversion away from Islam to non-religion or secularism during the 1600s to 1700s

This may sound like ASB, but another member of this forum who knew a lot about Islamic history from what I understand stated that it was indeed possible. Your challenge is to figure out a way for mass conversion away from Islam to non-religion or secularism during the 1600s to 1700s.

One idea I had was for the contradictions within classical, medieval Islam during that period to have become so self-evident and tiresome that people simply popularly revolt. Perhaps a movement for a strong sort of Tawheed al-Haakimiyyah whereby Sharia is applied stringently on all sorts of matters (so, for instance, scholarly consensus during that period is obeyed like prohibitions on music, no taxes, etc.) without any sort of flexibility. And, also, we could pair this with a very, very destructive Shi'a-Sunni conflict that breaks apart the Ummah with so much fighting that people get tired of it. The contradictions, rigidity, and hypocrisy should become so self-evident and widely known that people should begin to hate their religions significantly.

Basically, I want something like a combination of the breakdown of Catholic religious order and increase of skepticism we saw in the early Modern period in Europe mixed with the Islamic equivalent of the Hundred Year War that destroyed feudalism and European social orders as we know it. From there, even if Islam persists, it will be so different and fundamentally split apart that we couldn't call it the same religion even more. There would be more continuity between modern Islam OTL and medieval Islam OTL than there would be modern Islam ATL and medieval Islam ATL.

Those are my ideas. What about you guys?

destpop

Banned
It could work if you continue the Islamic golden age to that time. For the fall of faith or the establishment of new one's critical thinking is the most important tool and it was the cause religious reforms in Europe.

If things truly get so bad but the rational development continue just like it did in Europe then yes. There will be secularism popping up quiet quickly.

Sooner or later the wave of revolution might spread to the entire Muslim world.

Who knows maybe even the center of islam, Arabia itself might be engulfed?

It could work if you continue the Islamic golden age to that time. For the fall of faith or the establishment of new one's critical thinking is the most important tool and it was the cause religious reforms in Europe.
The Islamic golden age did continue. Most of the major achievements in Islamic science occurred after the Abbasids. Ibn Khaldun and various other scholars after the "Golden Age" advanced Islamic science considerably laying the groundwork for sociology, bases for lots of mechanical engineering principles, anatomy, medicine, etc. Turks invented muskets in the 1400s, as described by European and Chinese historians and chroniclers, and Mulla Sadra for instance laid the groundwork for religious existentialism.

I would not say that mere development of critical thinking, of which has already been prevalent in that period at least in scholarly circles, would constitute the rise of religious reform. I wouldn't even say that it allowed religious reform to rise in Europe either, though it was but a part of it. What we can say, looking at the Islamic world, is that scholasticism is a necessary component of but not the main component of driving societal change and revolution.

Who knows maybe even the center of islam, Arabia itself might be engulfed?
Arabia throughout most of Islamic history was not the center of Islam nor a very big strong hold for "orthodox" Islam. It was rampant with heretical ideas such as a soft form of polytheism (with people prostrating to stones or trees who were believed to have parts of Allah embodied within them), ghulat Shi'a beliefs such as Fatima, Ali, and Hasan being divinities, etc. This persisted even into the 19th century. The association of the Arabian Peninsula with being the "center of Islam" is something that is completely modern rather than historical.

destpop

Banned
The association of the Arabian Peninsula with being the "center of Islam" is something that is completely modern rather than historical.
So what could be considered the center of islam by that time ? Persia? Because it was the one to drive the Islamic golden age by bringing ideas from Asia and in many cases Europe to be later improved in the Muslim world.
I would not say that mere development of critical thinking, of which has already been prevalent in that period at least in scholarly circles, would constitute the rise of religious reform.
Well then what really could? Even in the Islamic world there were many instances of faith and science clashing, Same things happened in Europe but on a much larger and better scale.

The modern day secularism in Europe is a direct result of the reforms during the "recovery period" of Europe.

Unlike european, the Islamic world really doesn't have any heritage to revive as most wasn't lost.

Yes, if there is a massive expansion of art, sculpturing, paintings and musics in the Islamic world then this could lead to the rise of secularism.

Another reason behind european secularism was the rise of nationalism and regionalism across Europe in the same time.

Another was the constant interference of church in the matters of the state and the general dissatisfaction of the urban classes (that were rising in that time) against the clergy.

Protestant reformation was also a reason as it directly contributed in increasing rationalism and various regional identities.

So if we really want the Islamic world to become secular then a massive rise of nationalism and regionalism must occur across the Islamic world with various non religious institutions or otherwise "hertical institutions" must show a rapid growth. This can be achieved via a very large period of unstablility in the Islamic world with clashes between various ethno religious identies occuring like the turks but on a much much larger scale.

Maybe Shias can act as protestants of the Islamic world? I mean there policies usually are far more lax then that of Sunnis alreday in Otl, just a little bit more push towards regionalism and rationalism could help a lot.

So what could be considered the center of islam by that time ? Persia? Because it was the one to drive the Islamic golden age by bringing ideas from Asia and in many cases Europe to be later improved in the Muslim world.
Not really sure there was any specific place. I am still not sure what "center of Islam" means in this context.

Well then what really could? Even in the Islamic world there were many instances of faith and science clashing, Same things happened in Europe but on a much larger and better scale.
Such as what?

Yes, if there is a massive expansion of art, sculpturing, paintings and musics in the Islamic world then this could lead to the rise of secularism.
But all of that was still there in the Islamic world and it didn't lead to secularism. I'm not sure how mere art, sculptures, paintings, and musics leads to secularism. Europe and the Islamic world both had plenty of that prior to the rise of secularism so I don't see how that alone creates secularism spontaneously.

Another reason behind european secularism was the rise of nationalism and regionalism across Europe in the same time.
I disagree that nationalism and regionalism caused secularism. My suspicion is that nationalism and secularism were caused by the same factors and social breakdowns that occurred in Europe but they did not cause each other.

Another was the constant interference of church in the matters of the state and the general dissatisfaction of the urban classes (that were rising in that time) against the clergy.
That may be the case but I don't know if this is true. Do you have any historical research or articles on this specific topic?

So if we really want the Islamic world to become secular then a massive rise of nationalism and regionalism must occur across the Islamic world with various non religious institutions or otherwise "hertical institutions" must show a rapid growth. This can be achieved via a very large period of unstablility in the Islamic world with clashes between various ethno religious identies occuring like the turks but on a much much larger scale.
The Sunni-Shi'a conflict was very destructive to the Islamic world at a scale comparable to any European war of religion (though I may say this out of complete ignorance). Iraq was reduced to such a state that it is still recovering from today and failing to at that due to this conflict. I do not believe this is alone the cause.

The Islamic golden age did continue.
No, you had figures like Kaldun, who was the most important historian of the Islamic world. But academic power was never recovered to the same level. Perhaps if the idea of Avicennism and later Averroism had won against the works of Al Ghazali. In OTL Certain sectors continued to advance but never at the same speed.
Turks invented muskets in the 1400s,
Are you sure about that? As far as I know, the first true musket was created by the Spanish in the 16th century (there is also the theory that German craftsman and inventor, Johann Schmidl was responsible for this. But the most accepted is in Iberia). It is now undeniable that Turks becoming leaders in this regard. But they didn't create the musket, maybe you are confused with another firearm.
Mulla Sadra for instance laid the groundwork for religious existentialism.
As far as I know, the father of this sector of philosophy/religion is Saint Augustine of Hippo, and another important figure is Pascal who was born after Mulla (so I don't know how much the work of one is related to the other).
What we can say, looking at the Islamic world, is that scholasticism is a necessary component of but not the main component of driving societal change and revolution.
Scholasticism or critical thinking is something that took hold in the West since God has fixed rules about the world vs. the post-Ghazali view of the Islamic world in which the world is flexible and its rules depend on God's will.
The only reason the region is important is because of mecca and Medina. All Islamic centers in regions with greater value such as Iberia, Egypt, Persia, etc.

destpop

Banned
Such as what?
Various antheists and questionnaires of islam existed at the time, had a good following and were tolerated.The clash happened but well it wasn't really that big unlike Europe.
Europe and the Islamic world both had plenty of that prior to the rise of secularism so I don't see how that alone creates secularism spontaneously.
Nothing alone does anything. The philosophy behind it was the reason for secularism. Various arts were well pretty much things that shouldn't really be considered moral under religious laws. Such as paintings that described a world view that was opposite of Christianity. Arts such as non religious music that really leaded to new forms of interests being created that were against religious norms. The Islamic world lacked severely in arts that questioned societal norms. Yes, there were many good ones from Egypt and even iran but they didn't leave a bigger mark on the society of the entire region unlike the ones in Europe did.

The architecture that was revived was from ancient Roman times which was sometimes mixed with the new european architecture and the old ones, while many times entirely new things were established. Roman sculpturing was usually quite.."open".

In terms of literature a lot was circulated that could get you executed on spot at best or well I won't talk about the worst.

The Sunni-Shi'a conflict was very destructive to the Islamic world at a scale comparable to any European war of religion (though I may say this out of complete ignorance). Iraq was reduced to such a state that it is still recovering from today and failing to at that due to this conflict. I do not believe this is alone the cause.
It was far less then that of Protestant catholic ones, death toll was lower and it forced some reforms in Sunni society. Yes it was terrible but the amount of blood shed and damage Europeans caused each other was still less then the one that happened in the Islamic world.
that nationalism and regionalism caused secularism. My suspicion is that nationalism and secularism were caused by the same factors and social breakdowns that occurred in Europe but they did not cause each other.
Well it is wrong on many levels. Various revolutions in the European society happened as a direct result of the oppression caused by the clergy and the amount of influence religion as a whole wielded in the European society. One reason behind secularism itself was that various Christian groups wanted to be separate from the identity of Christiandom that the church enforced in the name of we all are servants of the lord.
That may be the case but I don't know if this is true. Do you have any historical research or articles on this specific topic?
Well my schools history book had this reason.
You can search on Google you might some

destpop

Banned
The only reason the region is important is because of mecca and Medina. All Islamic centers in regions with greater value such as Iberia, Egypt, Persia, etc.
So Persia could be considered the center of Islamic economic and cultural stuff in this time ?

No, you had figures like Kaldun, who was the most important historian of the Islamic world. But academic power was never recovered to the same level. Perhaps if the idea of Avicennism and later Averroism had won against the works of Al Ghazali. In OTL Certain sectors continued to advance but never at the same speed.
Nah that just is contradicted by all the various thinkers and advancements made afterwards. Khaldun was more than just the only one. Academic power persisted and inquiry also persisted. Al-Ghazali was not nearly as important as people portray in terms of academics.
Are you sure about that? As far as I know, the first true musket was created by the Spanish in the 16th century (there is also the theory that German craftsman and inventor, Johann Schmidl was responsible for this. But the most accepted is in Iberia). It is now undeniable that Turks becoming leaders in this regard. But they didn't create the musket, maybe you are confused with another firearm.
Here:
Musket—The Turks were the first to invent guns known as muskets in 1465.[309] Evidence for this is corroborated by external sources outside of Europe who meticulously documented the history of the device, whilst being fully aware of both the Western and Turkish variety.[309] Substantial evidence was collected and chronicled by medieval Chinese historians such as Chao Shih-Chen, who wrote of the muskets history in the "Shen Chhi Phu" (or the "Handbook of the Magically Efficient Tools [Muskets]"; 1598).[309] In it, he chronicles that the Ottomans had extensive contacts with China, and had made a number of important diplomatic missions; and of those missions, 1524, 1526, 1543, 1544, 1548 and 1554 were especially pivotal.[309]

The source comes from Needham's work:

Joseph Needham (22 January 1987). Science and Civilisation in China: Volume 5, Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Part 7, Military Technology: The Gunpowder Epic. Cambridge University Press. pp. 455–456. ISBN 978-0-521-30358-3.

As far as I know, the father of this sector of philosophy/religion is Saint Augustine of Hippo, and another important figure is Pascal who was born after Mulla (so I don't know how much the work of one is related to the other).
Whose the father isn't really what I am talking about, I don't know when either of those figures were around, but me bringing up Mulla Sadra, who was around in 1572 well after the Golden Age, was to point out how the Islamic world was still developing.

Scholasticism or critical thinking is something that took hold in the West since God has fixed rules about the world vs. the post-Ghazali view of the Islamic world in which the world is flexible and its rules depend on God's will.
That's not really aligned with al-Ghazali's actual ideas. Al-Ghazali, and no Muslim scholar, argued that the world does not abide by specific rules. That's nonsensical and contradicted in the Qur'an. What was disputed was a completely different issue over createdness and itjihad. Not whether the world abided by specific natural laws. That was scholarly consensus for the entire Islamic world.

That I agree with.

So Persia could be considered the center of Islamic economic and cultural stuff in this time ?
I wouldn't say Persia is the center at all since other regions made plenty of contributions, Egypt being a major one basically defining Islamic chivalry during the Mamluk period. Iraq also remained important despite diminishing in importance after the Mongol and Zanj rebellions.

Various antheists and questionnaires of islam existed at the time, had a good following and were tolerated.The clash happened but well it wasn't really that big unlike Europe.
Which ones? Who are the specific thinkers you believe questioned Islam? There is only one arguable atheist that we know of during the Islamic period but that does not imply a mass movement.
Nothing alone does anything. The philosophy behind it was the reason for secularism. Various arts were well pretty much things that shouldn't really be considered moral under religious laws. Such as paintings that described a world view that was opposite of Christianity. Arts such as non religious music that really leaded to new forms of interests being created that were against religious norms. The Islamic world lacked severely in arts that questioned societal norms. Yes, there were many good ones from Egypt and even iran but they didn't leave a bigger mark on the society of the entire region unlike the ones in Europe did.
I disagree that Islamic world lacked arts which questioned societal norms given that Islamic societies, especially Iran, depicted human beings in their art which was literally illegal under Islamic law. This occurred as early as the Umayyad period. Moreover, music has been considered by scholarly consensus for several centuries to be haram yet entire musical forms have developed throughout the Islamic world. Wine was also popularly consumed. Homosexuality, to some extent, was tolerated (Abu Nuwas was a very well-known poet who was gay). There is a lot of stuff contrary to Islamic law which was tolerated. Yet none of that actually create any sort of secular movement.

It's not clear to me how mere art constitutes any sort of rise of secularism. I am relatively convinced since you haven't really explain the causal connection of how seeing non-religious art is going to lead you to question religion. For the record, most art during the Renaissance did not question religion or criticize religion. Similarly, this is the case in the Islamic world. From what I can tell, truly atheistic art only emerged after the rise of secularism rather than before it. And also this isn't even getting into how most art was inaccessible to the vast majority of people outside of the wealthy or rich. You'd have a better argument that the printing press helped lead to secularism than art.
The architecture that was revived was from ancient Roman times which was sometimes mixed with the new european architecture and the old ones, while many times entirely new things were established. Roman sculpturing was usually quite.."open".

In terms of literature a lot was circulated that could get you executed on spot at best or well I won't talk about the worst.
I'm still confused about how reviving Roman architecture or taking inspiration from it somehow leads to secularism.
It was far less then that of Protestant catholic ones, death toll was lower and it forced some reforms in Sunni society. Yes it was terrible but the amount of blood shed and damage Europeans caused each other was still less then the one that happened in the Islamic world.
Again, I know nothing about European wars of religion.
Well it is wrong on many levels. Various revolutions in the European society happened as a direct result of the oppression caused by the clergy and the amount of influence religion as a whole wielded in the European society. One reason behind secularism itself was that various Christian groups wanted to be separate from the identity of Christiandom that the church enforced in the name of we all are servants of the lord.
Again, I would like some sources for this.
Well my schools history book had this reason.
You can search on Google you might some
I wouldn't trust school history books.

So if we really want the Islamic world to become secular then a massive rise of nationalism and regionalism must occur across the Islamic world
There is a thread talking about Umar ibn Hafsun's revolt in Iberia. If you combine this and the bizarre form of Islam muladi (a mixture of Islam and Christianity) we have a good chance of having a place for it. As a whole it was a revolution of local converts against Arabs and Berber (so a proto nationalism). Adotption of Averroism by the local elite we have something interesting.
I consider it one of the biggest centers.
Khaldun was more than just the only one.
he was the biggest one
Academic power persisted and inquiry also persisted. Al-Ghazali was not nearly as important as people portray in terms of academics.
I disagree, we have piles of evidence showing the impact of his philosophy. Before Al-Ghazali, Islamic intellectual and academic production was characterized by a flourishing tradition of rational inquiry, particularly influenced by Greek philosophy and logic. Scholars like Al-Farabi, Ibn Sina (Avicenna), and Ibn Rushd (Averroes) sought to reconcile Islamic theology with Greek philosophy, particularly Aristotelianism. Al-Ghazali's work, The Incoherence of the Philosophersifa, marked a turning point in Islamic intellectual history. He criticized the philosophical underpinnings of the rationalist tradition, arguing that reason alone cannot provide ultimate truths and that knowledge of God and religious truths can only be attained through spiritual experience and revelation. This critique had a profound impact on the intellectual landscape of the time and led to a decline in the influence of rationalist philosophy in Islamic academia.
Following his critique, a shift occurred in Islamic academic production. The dominance of rationalist philosophy waned, and scholars increasingly turned their attention to Islam's theological and mystical dimensions. The study of Islamic law, Quranic exegesis, Hadith, and Sufism, gained prominence during this period. Scholars focused on exploring the inner dimensions of faith, spiritual purification, and the development of ethical character. This is due to how well made his arguments were and while he alone was not responsible for Islamic academic and scientific retardation he is a key figure
the technology of the arquebus and the matchlock originate with the Ottomans. The text also says that the Gas Mask was created by Jafar in 800, in addition to the torpedo by a Muslim in 1275 and the first Coordinated Fire of cannons in 1444 (which is ridiculous as cannons have been used since the 12th century).
I have contracted sources such as https://www.britannica.com/technology/musket
was to point out how the Islamic world was still developing.
The entire world produces academic work, the fact that they say the Islamic golden age is over is due to the quantity and focus of the work. The 57 Muslim/Islamic states' contribution to science globally amounts to no more than 1 percent now and is generally of lower quality. Spain produces more scientific literature than all of the Muslim countries combined. Claiming that Islamic academic power remained does not make sense. You have a scientific decline in the Islamic world that only increases over time when compared to the Christian world.

he was the biggest one
He's the one Westerners' remember, and one which many contemporary people in the Islamic world, but he is not the "biggest" just because more people today care about his work. That doesn't mean his work was the only influential work for the rest of Islamic history (even if it was influential). You can't determine the scientific contributions of some region of the world on the basis of the contemporary popularity of its thinkers. And when the conversation is overall contribution, "bigness" doesn't matter as much as quantity.

the technology of the arquebus and the matchlock originate with the Ottomans. The text also says that the Gas Mask was created by Jafar in 800, in addition to the torpedo by a Muslim in 1275 and the first Coordinated Fire of cannons in 1444 (which is ridiculous as cannons have been used since the 12th century).
They invented both. Chinese historians, as such mentioned earlier, stated that the weapon emerged from the Ottomans Turks and taught them how to replicate the technology. The article I cited also states:

Western historians initially found these claims bizarre until the pre-eminent Oxbridge historian/scientist[310][311] Joseph Needham (1900—1995;[312] who extensively documented many inventions and discoveries throughout his academic career; and who carries significant weight in historiography) pointed out that it doesn't, noting that "the true musket" was believed to have been "developed from the match-holding serpentine arquebus a little before 1475 in the West", but evidence "has proven that the Turks" already had muskets in their possession first in 1465.[309]

And:

Needham also ends this revelation by noting that "if we are right (cf. pp. 573-6) in regarding the Islamic culture-area as the principal way-station between China and Europe in the transmission of all gunpowder weapons, an early Turkish expertise in portable firearms would be natural enough. So perhaps Chao was not so far wrong after all".[309] Importantly, the Chinese received matchlock guns from the Ottoman Turks in 1510, decades before receiving the first Western ones, highly indicative that the Ottomans developed the matchlock and musket first.

So I am inclined to believe Needham here and not deny existing historical works that prove this to be true. Maybe Materia Islamica was wrong about its other claims but I don't see why Needham is wrong about this specific claim.

I disagree, we have piles of evidence showing the impact of his philosophy.
Philosophy sure but not all critical thinking skills. That is completely reductive since kalam was still used after the fact and itjihad was not nearly as progressive as people portray (since Islam is still legalistic and there is still scholarly consensus on specific matters that are uncontestable).

Before Al-Ghazali, Islamic intellectual and academic production was characterized by a flourishing tradition of rational inquiry, particularly influenced by Greek philosophy and logic. Scholars like Al-Farabi, Ibn Sina (Avicenna), and Ibn Rushd (Averroes) sought to reconcile Islamic theology with Greek philosophy, particularly Aristotelianism
Sure, Greek philosophy somewhat diminished in importance not just due to Al-Ghazali but also because the scholars influenced by them diminished in political influence (like the Mut'azila) but A. synthesizing Greek philosophy with Islam did not necessarily lead to any critical thinking or secular thought (the Mut'azila were more stringent and puritan than many radical Islamist groups today) and B. rational inquiry still persisted after Al-Ghazali so it cannot be said that Al-Ghazali ended rational inquiry just because Greek philosophy's influence was downplayed. And of course, even Greek philosophy's influence was not of the sort that really increased questioning of authority.

Following his critique, a shift occurred in Islamic academic production. The dominance of rationalist philosophy waned, and scholars increasingly turned their attention to Islam's theological and mystical dimensions
I completely disagree otherwise figures like Mulla Sadra, Ibn Khaldun, Mir Damad, Averroes, Qotb al-Din Shirazi, Rumi, Ibn Arabi, Suhrawardi, and other scholars after Al-Ghazali who engaged in ijtihad and scientific or rational inquiry would not have existed. You overstate his impact and the specific beliefs he held.

The entire world produces academic work, the fact that they say the Islamic golden age is over is due to the quantity and focus of the work
Of course if you're ignorant of the large quantity of works produced after the period called "the golden age", you might think it waned or disappeared. Scientific inquiry and abundance of works still persisted, of a similar velocity, after the so-called "golden age". The golden age is basically just a myth. The Islamic world continued to persist in its inquiry and growth. The reality is that this was not enough to produce anything resembling European secularism.

You can't determine the scientific contributions of some region
Of course I can, after all, I didn't claim that he is the greatest according to academia. I said he's the greatest in my opinion.
They invented both.
Matchlock, as far as I know, were created by Portuguese people. Then again, its creation is generally attributed to several inventors working independently or building upon earlier designs.
The article I cited also states:
and those I read disagree that the weapon the Turks had could be classified as the musket.
I don't see why Needham is wrong about this specific claim.
Perhaps the problem is the classification of what a musket is, if one group considers one thing to be a musket and another group another, the inventor will vary.
itjihad was not nearly as progressive as people portray
progressive for the time, not when compared with the Western idea of progressive
You overstate his impact and the specific beliefs he held.
Everything I read uses him as one of the central figures, if you have any articles or texts against this I would love to read about it. Because based on what I read this doesn't seem to be true.
The golden age is basically just a myth. The Islamic world continued to persist in its inquiry and growth.
So in your opinion, what made the Islamic academic world shrink (or was it always small compared to other academic centers), is today being minuscule when compared to the rest of the world.
The reality is that this was not enough to produce anything resembling European secularism.
In this I agree, an Islamic state cannot be secular because authority is something inherently religious.

Of course I can, after all, I didn't claim that he is the greatest according to academia. I said he's the greatest in my opinion.
Ok but your personal opinion isn't what dictates whether a region continued to engage in rational and scientific inquiry after some period of time. You can't go "well this one thinker existed that I like so no other thinkers or advancements were made". I like Da Vinci. Does this mean Italy produced no advancements after him? You're basically saying that, besides him, no other thinkers or works of science and inquiry occurred on the basis that you like Ibn Khaldun. Since this position makes no sense it is possible you've lost track of the conversation.

Matchlock, as far as I know, were created by Portuguese people. Then again, its creation is generally attributed to several inventors working independently or building upon earlier designs.
It is entirely possible the mechanism was developed independently however the musket appears to have been created by the Turks.
and those I read disagree that the weapon the Turks had could be classified as the musket.
What were the articles?
Perhaps the problem is the classification of what a musket is, if one group considers one thing to be a musket and another group another, the inventor will vary.
Not really. It was a gunpowder weapon with a matchlock mechanism that fired slugs or bullets. There is very disagreement over what constitutes a musket. No one is confusing a musket for a handgonne or Mysorean rocket. What is being disputed is not what is a musket but who made it first and the historical consensus appears to be that it emerged with the Turks. At the very least, those familiar with sources outside of Europe are aware of this.

progressive for the time, not when compared with the Western idea of progressive
Itjihad isn't a thing you could call "progressive" as though it were a sect or something. It's a practice of independent reasoning on matters of Shari'a (which is still done today). But the entire problem with calling it "progressive", not in the Western sense or for the period but for the purposes of the thread which is to spur secular thought, is that there is widespread consensus on matters of Islamic law. And that consensus is on matters which are fixed and well-established. Moreover, what was debated in the past during times of itjihad is not even major positions or the laws of Islam but rather specifics.

Lots of people, especially in the West, think itjihad is some kind of superpower which can allow you to do bid'ah and completely rewrite the Qur'an or Islamic law if they so choose to mean whatever it is they would like to mean and engage in all sorts of loose interpretative practices to do so. That's not true. And so the closing of the door of itjihad did not actually prohibit rational or scientific inquiry (it is not as though religion can create secularism anyways) nor prevent the Islamic world from becoming secular but rather something else more oppositional which I have not managed to identify.

Everything I read uses him as one of the central figures, if you have any articles or texts against this I would love to read about it. Because based on what I read this doesn't seem to be true.

I don't have any specific articles but the evidence is that there were famous Islamic philosophers hundreds of years afterward who still engaged in their own independent thought and did science. I listed some of them.

So in your opinion, what made the Islamic academic world shrink (or was it always small compared to other academic centers), is today being minuscule when compared to the rest of the world.
Probably the decline of the Ottoman Empire. And also there is an extent to which this is all relative. Europe accelerated in the realm of sciences, for a slew of factors, way beyond the Islamic world. If the Islamic world was the baseline, Europe went from not producing that much to producing way more. The Islamic world has been relatively constant with its production until the faltering of the Ottomans.
In this I agree, an Islamic state cannot be secular because authority is something inherently religious.
Not entirely and people tend to overstate this.

The thing about Islam is not that secular authority and religious authority are synonymous in the sense that rulers can dictate the religion or that the religion of the population is dictated by the ruler. The closest an Islamic state has come to this were the Safavids who viewed Shah Ismail I as a sort of living God who can transmit revelation directly from him and whom Muhammad and Ali prostrate towards. But they were a complete minority and also highly ghulat Shi'a so heavily heterodox in their Islam.

Rather, Islam does not even require a state or secular authority but rather simply adherence to God's law and nothing else. The extent to which a ruler is necessary is, at most, to enforce the law and maybe defend Islamic territories. But Islam is pretty hands-on and imposes some strict limitations on governments if you operate by scholarly consensus (such as no taxes, for instance).

So I wouldn't say it is relevant here. The big problem with regards to secularism is that you can't make new laws which violate God's law or change God's law. You're forced to abide by only Islamic law (i.e. Allah is the only judge).

Issue is Islam as a political religion pretty heavily clamps down on the development of institutions that aren’t beholden to the state. This was a stumbling block that limited Islamic economic development from achieving the same kinds of organisational developments that facilitated the creation of the European trade companies that would fuel the Great Divergence, in my opinion at least. The only exception is really the the Islamic Religious orders which somewhat did fill the niche that the mercantile companies would usurp within the Indian Ocean.

The end of the “Golden Age of Islam” isn’t really justified by the Great Divergence unless you want to argue everyone else ended their golden ages just in time for Europe to conquer. Personally I’d say the Islamic golden age ended at the start of the 18th century. But that’s me being facetious about the whole discussion about it in the first place.

Non-religious organisations will struggle to develop since Islamic Law limits corporate development. Western Christendom is unique in that the oldest corporation in existence is literally the Papacy which inclined it to that sort of development.

Heretical institutions battled with mainstream religious ones in Islam quite a lot historically. The Shiites became practical masters at building up counter-institutions via “Shadow Provinces” in Sunni (and even other Shia in the case of the Ismailis) Islamic realms over time.

Secularism in the Ottoman Empire (tanzimat) came from emulation of the Europeans due to a belief of the failure of the state. Then Islamic revivalism occurred in the post-colonial era as a result of the failure of secular-Arab nationalism in the post colonial era and then after the most recent wave Islamic revivalism in the form of the puritanical “restorationist” forms gestated during European colonisation, we’re back to secularism and irreligiousity.

All this is to say I actually have no idea how to answer the OP since historically Islamic sects were going sicko mode on each other for a while and it didn’t result in the same effects that the European wars of Religion did. My theory is that there was less of a United identity to be broken and torn apart from such fighting as there was with the Protestant-Catholic split and similarly Islamic sects have since the beginning in-built theological mechanisms for “false/hidden-conversions” so there was no real equivalent of the religious fatigue caused by Germans converting 5-6 times depending on who they got conquered by and what religion their prince was.

Last edited:
Issue is Islam as a political religion pretty heavily clamps down on the development of institutions that aren’t beholden to the state. This was a stumbling block that limited Islamic economic development from achieving the same kinds of organisational developments that facilitated the creation of the European trade companies that would fuel the Great Divergence, in my opinion at least. The only exception is really the the Islamic Religious orders which somewhat did fill the niche that the mercantile companies would usurp within the Indian Ocean.
Ehhhh, I completely disagree. That's a problem caused by specific dynasties but nothing about Islam necessitates any sort of statism. For one, you don't even need a state for Islamic law to be obeyed (and multiple Mut'azila scholars discussed those possibilities) and actual mainstream Sunni scholarship maintains that a state would face significant restrictions (for example, taxes are prohibited in Islam along with other limitations on state power). The actual problem is precisely that the law cannot be changed by political actors and also that Islamic dynasties have idealized and organized themselves around large, all-encompassing centralized empires that failed to really centralize but were constantly trying to centralize.

All this is to say I actually have no idea how to answer the OP since historically Islamic sects were going sicko mode on each other for a while and it didn’t result in the same effects that the European wars of Religion did. My theory is that there was less of a United identity to be broken and torn apart from such fighting as there was with the Protestant-Catholic split and similarly Islamic sects have since the beginning in-built theological mechanisms for “false/hidden-conversions” so there was no real equivalent of Germans converting 5-6 times depending on who they got conquered by and what religion their prince was.
Is there any specific reason given, with good historical evidence, for what led to secularism in Europe in the first place? That might help us figure out how to secularize the Islamic world. I want more than just speculation. I've looked through /r/AskHistorians but to no avail. Is there any literature to read on this topic?

Ehhhh, I completely disagree. That's a problem caused by specific dynasties but nothing about Islam necessitates any sort of statism. For one, you don't even need a state for Islamic law to be obeyed (and multiple Mut'azila scholars discussed those possibilities) and actual mainstream Sunni scholarship maintains that a state would face significant restrictions (for example, taxes are prohibited in Islam along with other limitations on state power). The actual problem is precisely that the law cannot be changed by political actors and also that Islamic dynasties have idealized and organized themselves around large, all-encompassing centralized empires that failed to really centralize but were constantly trying to centralize.
You know what? Valid. I don’t actually disagree with you there.

I said Islam as a political religion but what I should’ve said was Islam as an imperial religion. Though I disagree about Islamic law not being changed by political actors. Islamic Law only really ossified in the 11th century of which the closing of the gates of Ijtihad is a neat and tidy but more obfuscating than revealing example. Since that was more a final nail in the coffin of Islamic legal flexibility caused by the growing weight of previous Islamic rulings and the development of the Islamic fiqh that derived legitimacy from earlier scholars than the death itself.

Even then though Islamic rulers would often just pressure the clergy under their rule to make the rulings they want. Islamic law being a decentralised legal system did admittedly mean there was a limit to how these rulings transmitted past the capital regions. Though I suppose that doesn’t matter too much to your average ruler that just wants an excuse to drink alcohol beverages.

But still I admit my mistake. I definitely should’ve been clearer with my wording and you’re a hundred percent right that imperial Islam isn’t the only Islam but they are the only real relevant variants of Islam unless you massively shift the development of Islam from its inception.

Heck I probably should’ve been even more clearer in saying that the centralising impulses of Imperial Islam that had it opposed to the development of corporate structure and non-state institutions that could be the foundation of secularism come from the nature of the Caliphate’s Roman inheritance (being a quick usurpation of territories held by an extant eastern empire) vs the West wherein feudal anarchy and the dissolution of Western Roman administrative structure into fractured forms that were then coopted meant non-state institutions like guilds could have a lot more relative power and independence than those in the Islamic world.

Is there any specific reason given, with good historical evidence, for what led to secularism in Europe in the first place? That might help us figure out how to secularize the Islamic world. I want more than just speculation. I've looked through /r/AskHistorians but to no avail. Is there any literature to read on this topic?
Hah good luck with that. People have been arguing about that for a while. There is a lot of literature on the subject. There’s no real clear answer. Most attribute the roots of secularisation to the Reformation though differ in the specific cause about it. Personally I agree (insofar as I’ll acknowledge there were traces in theological development preceding the Reformation such as the concept of worldly affairs being in isolation of god originating in the 13th century) that the Reformation is a good place for secularism’s story. The Protestant realms experienced a movement of economic resources from religious institutions to secular ones as a result of the seizures of church land which itself originated from the breaking of Catholic monopoly on religious legitimacy which strengthened the power of secular rulers because they could get much better deals in the “marketplace of religious legitimacy” from the Protestants. I’ll link the paper I read that on this post.

I suspect (I can’t remember the specifics paper I read it from so can’t give it to you as a fact) that this increase in relative secular power was what allowed the push during the Enlightenment for secular rulers to “Rationalise” their realms on the basis of eradicating feudal holdovers which then further limited church power relative to the ruler.

And I don’t really suspect this sort of phenomena is applicable to the Sunni realms since Sunni clergy generally were a lot easier to subjugate and make obey the state line but I can see a variant of this occurring with the twelvers. Though even then as the Safavids show, Twelver rulers have a way of sidelining the orthodox twelver clergy by simply using sufi religious orders for their religious legitimacy instead.

Generally it’s a fairly good start researching the Enlightenment and causes for it to look into Secularism but secularism like religion means a lot of different things depending on the context. And secularism is a lot easier achieved than outright irreligiousity. Islamic philosophy has had a lot of interesting and weird branches which could resemble Islam-derived atheistic or deist ideas but they didn’t tend to get much traction due to historical circumstance.

I said Islam as a political religion but what I should’ve said was Islam as an imperial religion. Though I disagree about Islamic law not being changed by political actors. Islamic Law only really ossified in the 11th century of which the closing of the gates of Ijtihad is a neat and tidy but more obfuscating than revealing example. Since that was more a final nail in the coffin of Islamic legal flexibility caused by the growing weight of previous Islamic rulings and the development of the Islamic fiqh that derived legitimacy from earlier scholars than the death itself.
Yeah I agree with that overall tendency. And it isn't as though itjihad was particularly innovative. Lots of Westerners, and some liberal Muslims, think that itjihad is a halal way to do bid'ah but that's not true and a lot of what was being reasoned through during that period, at least in Sunni Islam, was not particularly progressive or transformative. Why, the Muta'zila, who used itjihad the most, were very stringent and inflexible with regards to the application of Shari'a.

Even then though Islamic rulers would often just pressure the clergy under their rule to make the rulings they want. Islamic law being a decentralised legal system did admittedly mean there was a limit to how these rulings transmitted past the capital regions. Though I suppose that doesn’t matter too much to your average ruler that just wants an excuse to drink alcohol beverages.
I disagree that alcohol was ever considered legal or that there were scholars who would excuse this. Closest we got to something like this was an implicit qiyama (or aborgation of Islamic law) by the Ottomans through the ideology of the World Pole and the assertion that the Ottoman Caliph constitute a temporal qutb. But that isn't a case of finding imams who sign off on whatever laws they like but rather that religious authority was vested in the sultan himself as a sort of implicit "Pope" so to speak. I have not seen a case where a ruler would find an imam to validate laws passed to support their vices and other such things. Alcohol still remained prohibited, at least on paper, for thousands of years in the Islamic world.

Heck I probably should’ve been even more clearer in saying that the centralising impulses of Imperial Islam that had it opposed to the development of corporate structure and non-state institutions that could be the foundation of secularism come from the nature of the Caliphate’s Roman inheritance (being a quick usurpation of territories held by an extant eastern empire) vs the West wherein feudal anarchy and the dissolution of Western Roman administrative structure into fractured forms that were then coopted meant non-state institutions like guilds could have a lot more relative power and independence than those in the Islamic world.
Well we need to clarify things further.

My contention is not necessarily that Islamic empires were centralized. They were obviously not. Especially the Caliphates and the Ottomans, whose domains were so vast and diverse than any sort of centralized government a la France or even China was nothing more than a fantasy. The Abbasids, for a significant stretch of time, was nothing more than a loose coalition of constantly fighting warlords who received de jure governorship from the Abbasid Caliph in proportion to their de facto power. In many respects, the Islamic world for most of its life, was heavily decentralized to a significant degree. This obviously differs from polity to polity (with smaller polities like the Buyids obviously being more centralized relative to monsters like Timur's empire) but the general reality is that the empires were decentralized. I see no reason to view the HRE, for instance, as uniquely decentralized when the Abbasid central government was at the whims of its own supposed "governors" and dealt with constant rebellions.

What I am really talking about is an ideology and I believe that this constitutes the main distinction between the anarchies of Europe and the Islamic world. The Islamic world inherited the Iranic-Roman institution and concept of a universalist, centralized government in which authority emanates from that authority and encompasses the world. The institutions and governmental structures inherited from the East Romans and Sassanids by the Arabs during their initial conquests were oriented around maintaining that sort of empire (despite the diversity and the geography of the region not facilitating, until the modern era, centralized control). Moreover, one of the many holdovers from pre-Islamic Arabian traditions was a sort of strong belief in domination hierarchy; the notion that the "strong", whatever that means at the time, should be obeyed by the "weak" and, if positions change, it goes the opposite way as well. This creates a culture of opportunism where even ones own governors could be depended upon as they may have their own ambitions and strike you when they seen an opportunity as we saw with, for instance, Salah al-Din's rise to power or the rise of his father.

So, even if one were some kind of small warlord managing Damascus, you would try to run your government with the ideology that you were strong and that you had to heavily centralize your control to the best of your ability, using institutions such as centralized tax collection and governorships to maintain your centralized empire. This ideology was both unsuccessful just due to sheer practical considerations and prohibited the rise of non-state institutions. Moreover, it led to intense instability as only one person can have universal authority and strength is something that varies from context to context, often depending upon charisma more than anything meaningfully physical. When there was no "top dog", so to speak, the Islamic world became highly unstable due to the ideology of its rulers and authorities.

In contrast, Feudal Europe operated very differently. It was highly legalistic in the sense that authority was derived and solidified through reciprocal duties and obligations between lords and their vassals, codified through oaths, written documents, and oral transmission. Moreover, this reciprocity was generally, though obviously more volatile than that, obeyed and supported by the nobility and other authorities. Feudal lords, rather than seeing other authorities as competition which must be destroyed or made to submit unilaterally to them, sought to vassalize them through forming various different contracts and agreements with them (i.e. see the reaction to the rising fortunes and power of urban areas in Europe with charters and alliances such as the Lombard League or the ways in which some lords vassalized tribes). This provided nobles and other polities within this patchwork of treaties and agreements a measure of autonomy while also maintaining connections or relations to other nobles. And so this was an anarchy that, ironically, created a stability of borders that was never seen in the Islamic world for instance.

While Feudal Europe was a society of warlords bound by the law, the Islamic world was a society wherein warlords saw each other as mutually exclusive competitors. To use international relations terms, Islamic warlords saw authority as indivisible while feudal warlords did not.

However, I doubt that is the source of secularism. Feudalism was basically destroyed after the Hundred Years' War, from what I understand, and it was shoddily reconstructed afterward in the centralized monarchies that followed (something like venal offices in the French ancien regime could never exist in the High Middle Ages for instance). Secularism followed soon after but the source still evades me.

Hah good luck with that. People have been arguing about that for a while. There is a lot of literature on the subject. There’s no real clear answer. Most attribute the roots of secularisation to the Reformation though differ in the specific cause about it.
When I mention "secularism", I am not talking about separation of church and state (which is already a mainstay of Christianity anyways). I am talking about, as the OP mentions, atheistic ideas. That is to say, a lower enthusiasm or reliance upon religion and less of an ideological commitment to it. This happened in Europe, which may have made true separation of state from church a more popular desire, but it did not happen in the Islamic world. The challenge of the OP is to find a way for that mass conversion to happen as early as the 1600s to 1700s (relatively around the same period when it started to happen in Europe).

Not really sure there was any specific place. I am still not sure what "center of Islam" means in this context.

Reading The Formation of Islam, which I highly recommend. It offers no easy answers (and after all professional historians generally shouldn't), but does argue much of what we think of as Islam was developed in Syria and Iraq based on dynamics and relationships (for example between Arab conquerors and Mesopotamian Jewish populations) that Arabia didn't have.