AHC: Make college rather than high school the popular setting for media within academic settings or focused on academic protagonists

We've all watched many shows or read books which took place in school or high school settings and thought, due to the maturity or autonomy of the characters and circumstances, "this would work make way more sense if this were in college". Your challenge is to fix this by making more shows that would otherwise take place in or focus around high school, take place in universities or colleges. Bonus points if you accomplish this for anime.

Off the top of my head, you’d have to make the college setting fulfill a distinct niche from a highschool one. Highschool is ultimately a nigh-universal experience for people in developed countries, unlike college. Thus, you wouldn’t be able to hit nearly the same degree of universality. You could still probably finagle things so that a college setting is more popular than a highschool setting in media/entertainment, but I don’t think it’s possible to cleanly substitute one for the other.

Off the top of my head, you’d have to make the college setting fulfill a distinct niche from a highschool one. Highschool is ultimately a nigh-universal experience for people in developed countries, unlike college. Thus, you wouldn’t be able to hit nearly the same degree of universality. You could still probably finagle things so that a college setting is more popular than a highschool setting in media/entertainment, but I don’t think it’s possible to cleanly substitute one for the other.
I think this is key, most people attend high school, not everyone goes to university or college. Id also argue the stories in both are fundamentally different, movies in school tend to be about navigating the social environment of puberty. Movies set at college and university tend to focus on the period of life where you are generally navigating independence from parents for the first time.

I think this is key, most people attend high school, not everyone goes to university or college. Id also argue the stories in both are fundamentally different, movies in school tend to be about navigating the social environment of puberty. Movies set at college and university tend to focus on the period of life where you are generally navigating independence from parents for the first time.
Seinfield and Friends would fit or Cheers in fact the new Frasier is set in college. I meant if we're being honest in Wicked Shiz is more a high school/british boarding school than a university.

Maybe make a show set in a University setting focus not on the students but on a Professor? He or she would have to be fairly(but not, I think, TOO )young, just starting out @ the school, learning the ropes, learning how to teach, learning to get along(or NOT getting along)with his or her colleagues. We could- would- show him dealing with politics as they infringe on the school(like, where do you stand re the Mid-east? CRT? What if students want to stage a drag show but a new state law prohibits such productions on school property?) One thing I would NOT do is have the Prof get “involved” with one of his students- it’s just too easy, too much of a cliche!

Last edited:
Maybe make a show set in a University setting focus not on the students but on a Professor? He or she would have to be fairly(but not, I think, TOO )young, just starting out @ the school, learning the ropes, learning how to teach, learning to get along(or NOT getting along)with his or her colleagues. We could- would- show him dealing with politics as they infringe on the school(like, where do you stand re the Mid-east? CRT? What if students want to stage a drag show but the a new state law prohibits such productions on school property?)
and with politics in the academy like how historically the German academy and atheist controversy. Or how methodology in academics effects politics and vice versa. or how their students will take their work and extend it ie if your published work has this position you have to have these politics like Arendt and Sartre famously with Heiddegger or Jacobi with Lessing.s

Last edited: