AHC: Beardless Ancient Near East

As a fun thought experiment, I would like to know how it could be possible for the rather extravagant beards of the ancient mesopotamians and achaemenid persians to be replaced with a clean shaven face as the male standard of beauty!
Bonus points if body hair removal is included :p

The Pod must be 700 BC (BCE) or later

GO!

As a fun thought experiment, I would like to know how it could be possible for the rather extravagant beards of the ancient mesopotamians and achaemenid persians to be replaced with a clean shaven face as the male standard of beauty!
Bonus points if body hair removal is included :p

The Pod must be 700 BC (BCE) or later

GO!

So... Egyptian beauty standards basically? Have Middle Kingdom Egypt become a pan-Middle East hegemon that sets the standard for diplomatic and court ritual. If the Assyrians catch on, the Medes and then Persians will too. The hard part is getting Egypt to project power that far, though this old Atenist Egypt TL features just such an outcome.

Wait. Do we even have a shaving device that would make clean-shavenness reliable? So even peasants could reliably shave every day or at least every few days?

Wait. Do we even have a shaving device that would make clean-shavenness reliable? So even peasants could reliably shave every day or at least every few days?

Tweezers, straight knives, etc-- it's going to take work but you can at least achieve beardlessness among the nobility. And while the title does imply a completely beardless population, the most "extravagant" beards would have been the ones immortalized in stone-- so even if only that segment of the population gets rid of their beards the challenge is basically fulfilled.

Associate hairy bodies with primitivity, institute a cultural norm of epilation. Use shells as tweezers.

Doable, I believe Enkidu was depicted as very hairy in the Epic of Gilgamesh... but he was also a "noble savage" so this could go either way. Maybe Ur III could compel hairlessness as part of a cultural reaction against Gutian influence.

How would could such an association be made?

Some particularly shaggy invaders viewed as barbaric, maybe?

I have a cousin with a condition that made all his hair fall out as a child. It would have been seen as a bad omen initially, but could have driven a prince to be the best of the best. And if he conquered those shaggy invaders, hairlessness could be seen as a sign of the gods' favor.