AH Cliches from Alternate Worlds

There are those obsessed with the idea of Woodrow Wilson as president. How that would be possible in the real world, I cannot begin to imagine. Let's put it this way: if Theodore Roosevelt convince the American electorate in 1908 that Elihu Root would be a worthy successor (the problem, as we all know, was not Root's competency--his ability as an executive/lawyer/administrator was well established--but his Wall Street connections), he could make a case for his return to the White House with little or no trouble, as we all know he did in 1912, handily defeating Wilson.

The points of departure for a Wilson victory are always based on some sort of Republican schism, and we all know little could be farther from the truth given the unifying efforts of Roosevelt, Root, Lodge, Hughes, and Hadley. But there are those who would ignore that and have a crypto-Southern university professor in the Oval Office...and nearly always they have the relatively minor Austro-Serbian crisis of June/July 1914 degenerate into a full-scale conflict. That, I suppose, has to be a consequence of an unknown / foreign affairs dilettante in the White House as opposed to TR.

Oh, well...you can always read those for laughs.

Not only does England stay a monarchy up to the present day, pretty every author imagines his own country as a constitutional monarchy as opposed to a republic : Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, Spain, Thailand... even Japan... They all are still ruled by a hereditary monarch how anachronistic this may be. Even more: They are functioning democracies and in many ways more socially advanced then the republics surrounding them.

I mean, King William VI of The Netherlands affirming gay rights ten years before France or Germany? Sweden having voting rights for woman before the USA? The Kingdom of Great Britain having universal healthcare? In 1920? Get real, guys...

Last edited:
When Hitler dies, Goering always takes over, and they have a boring, "Not So Evil Nazi Party" that makes all the right moves, and none of Hitlers disastrous ones. I personally find this very annoying.

I recently read a scenario where Cyprus end up being Greek instead of Hittite as in OTL. Although I really liked the plot, I admit that I was disappointed with the PoD; Cyprus, which is nearer to Cilicia than Greece, would end up Hellenized? Oh, come on!?!

(okay, is this tread still going?, let's try of we can get some fresh ideas here)

Despite the fact that United Germany is a purely economic union, and politically closer to Scandinavia then to central Europe, almost every TL has it at some point become ultra-militaristic and eventual going to war with its neighbors, especially with France and England.

One very outrageous timeline even has it invading France with an almost watch like regularity every forty years. No matter none of the invasions ever last and in the end Germany is defeated and demilitarized, forty years later they're back again... And then another fourth years later just as well...

The United States winning the space race....every....damn....time. Also the stupid one about rugby evolving into some sort of popular sport.

Last edited:
.... Also the stupid one about rugby evolving into some sort of popular sport.

Even worse: There are some timelines where the US has its own form of American Rugby that is played by no other nation then the US but over there is a megamilion industry even with its own TV channel.