Across the high frontier: a Big Gemini space TL

French leaders like Valéry Giscard d'Estaing ?
Who try to terminate the Ariane Project in 1975, because it was to big for Great France
after French industry, ESA member Government ask "what hell are you doing ?", he change his mind...

Europe, Zubrin, and Mars

Archibald

Banned
"After an updated presentation of the post-Apollo project by a NASA team, the first meeting of the Joint Group on US-European cooperation was held in Washington from 30 November to 2 December 1971.

J.P.Causse and J.Dinkespiler acted as spokesmen for the European delegation which was composed of members of the ESC Secretariat as well as of experts nominated by the Member States, while Charles Matthews headed the NASA group.
As far as the space tug was concerned, the time did not seem ripe for a definite decision because it was so early in its development. It nevertheless seemed a logical area for European participation since it was an easily separable item with a relatively clean set of interfaces; moreover,ELDO in close cooperation with NASA, had elaborated a Phase-A work statement.

ELDO intention was to start a phase A tug study at about October/November 1971. For this study ELDO has begun together with NASA to discuss the task definition and to define the input documents with respect to interfaces, safety, operations and shuttle performance. Following this study it would be possible to enter into phase B during 1972 and to enter into phase C during 1973.

This timescale would fit very well into the present shuttle schedule which assumes a first shuttle flight for April 1978 and an IOC for mid-1979. It would give Europe time enough for a development start on the tug as a contribution to the Post-Apollo program up to 1975 when DOD and NASA want to decide whether to select an existing upper stage as expendable tug as an interim solution or to go with their European partners right from the beginning.

The described preparation in Europe shows that the problem has been seriously considered and that the project picks up speed in accordance with the shuttle project in the United States.

"When University of Rochester space biologist Wolf Vishniac says he's going south for the winter-he really means it. This past winter, Vishniac and graduate student Stanley E. Mainzer led what is believed to be the first Rochester expedition to Antarctica.

The two explorer-microbiologists spent six weeks alone in the Dry Valley region, about 800 miles from the South Pole, where they studied soil bacteria and tested instruments and techniques planned for the Viking unmanned landing on Mars in 1976.

On December 10, 1971 , the Rochester Antarctic expedition set out, only to grind to a three-day halt in Hawaii: plane trouble. There was another delay in New Zealand, and a final one at McMurdo Station, the main U.S. station in Antarctica and the operational base of National Science Foundation activities in the area.

The team returned January 26, 1972, convinced that the trip had opened up additional areas for future study. Both hope to go back some day. Despite delays, frustrations, cold, and wind, they strongly recommend going south for the winter."

Wolf_V._Vishniac.jpg

Wolf Vishniac: a good friend of Carl Sagan.

December 5, 1971
Headquarters of the British Interplanetary Society
London
Owen Gordon had returned to England, perhaps for the first time since the end of World War Two.
In his days at Avro Canada he had known and befriended many British engineers, notably from Rolls Royce (the Arrow, at least initially, was to be powered by advanced British turbojets). His space background also helped - he somewhat knew Philip Bono, since both worked at McDonnell Douglas.

“… the Black Arrow worked superbly, and it’s a shame the government jettisoned it the day after it orbited Prospero. One of the reasons advocated was the payload is too small, although there is much room for improvement.”

David Andrews showed the assembly a photo. It featured a very recognizable Avro Vulcan bomber with its immense delta wing. On the belly was some cruise missile.

Very ironically, the Black Arrow Gamma engines were developed for the Blue Steel cruise missile. The space launcher, however, did not used the full potential of these engines – the Stentor, which features eight combustion chambers. By salvaging Blue Steel missiles, thrust of the Black Arrow might be doubled.”

Another reason given for cancellation was cost, and sure enough Woomera is half a world away. But we couldn’t launch from Britain… unless, of course, the Black Arrow or its improved variant would be air launched from an aircraft. In 1965 the French had a study of a Diamant air launched from a Vulcan bomber, and the Black Arrow is smaller thanks to H2O2 density.

Of course the Stentor variant would be heavier, exceeding the bomber capacity. In this case, we suggest to cut into the internal fuel to restore the payload. Range isn’t needed for air launch, and even if it was, the Vulcan could be refueled in flight, even just after takeoff, like the SR-71 or A-12 which tanks are leaking so much…”

David Andrews presentation ended and was followed by a barrage of technical questions. After all it was the cream of British (and American) rocketry that was gathered there today. The meeting had been introduced earlier in the morning on a mixed mood.

"Forty months ago in this very place I welcomed George Mueller, the father of the space shuttle concept - although he did not liked that title. It was a hot day of August 1968; a shiny future in space awaited us at the corner." Val Cleaver, who spoke those words, was not called the british Von Braun for nothing.

Kenneth Gatland continued the speech. "We had a glance at that future through Stanley Kubrick and Arthur 2001"

Kenneth Gatland nodded at Arthur Clarke, that stood beside him "2001 that was airing at the time, complete with Orion III, rotating space stations and nuclear-electric space cruisers flying to Jupiter and Saturn. That day of August Mueller disclosed what looked to be the first step in that future; NASA own Orion III, the space shuttle.”

There were evident regrets in Gatland voice...

“Forty months later it seems that the future will have to wait a little. Gentlemen, we are here to discuss the future of the shuttle and, at large, of reusable launch vehicles."

Clarke took over.

"Before the 70's had ended the cost of space travel had been slashed tenfold (...) The brief age of the rocket dinosaurs, each capable of but a single flight, was drawing to its close.
Instead of the thousand-ton boosters whose bones now littered the Atlantic deeps, men were building far more efficient aerospace planes-giant rocket aircraft which could- climb up to orbit with their cargoes, then return to Earth for another mission.
Commercial space flight had not yet been achieved, but it was on the horizon.”

This is a part of my 2001 novel I did not retained in the final cut. I think it is still pertinent today.

In 1969, a year after Mueller communication to the BIS, Kenneth wrote a wonderful book called Frontiers of Space. He co-authored it with an American engineer which is present today; his name is Philip Bono."

In the room were the said Bono, and a pair of American engineers, Robert Salkeld and Gary Hudson. Veterans Gatland, Clarke and Cleaver hosted a whole generation of British rocket scientists: Alan Bond and Bob Parkisnson, Peter Conchie, David Ashford and David Andrews.

All these men all shared Clarke, Gatland and Mueller dream of a space airliner; a machine that could lift-off from a standard airport and climb to orbit and land at another ordinary airport. It was the astronautics Holly Grail as much as landing a man on Mars. Still, there were many ways leading to that Holly Grail; and each of the five men symbolized a different path.

Bono and Hudson went together pretty well. Gordon had known Bono for a very long time since they both worked at Douglas on reusable launch vehicles. He had been present the day Bono had presented his Rombus to the AIAA - the meeting at been held at Los Angeles infamous Ambassador Hotel later of The Graduate and RFK-assasination fame.

But so far the future of astronautics looked dire.

Not only NASA suffered from the lost of the shuttle. Europe space program had hit rock bottom, too.

The British government had canned David Andrews Black Arrow the very day it had succeded placing the Prospero satellite into orbit; Great Britain had been the sixth country in the world to achieve that notable feat, only to give up immediately !

The French hanged on to their Diamant, but it had been crippled by a failure.

Worse, the pan-european Europa based on Alan Bond and Val Cleaver Blue Streak, had also failed in a rather miserable way. With the british space program dead, Andrews and Bond (among others) had to work for the nuclear industry. Although the American party was more fortunate, the death of the shuttle meant a decade or more would be spent doing low-level studies.

But Cleaver and Gatland went unabated.

There was a luncheon afterwards, and Gordon was placed not too far away from Clarke.

The conversation was delightful; beside impeccable technical credentials, members of the British Interplanetary Society had a typical reputation of eccentricity.

Clarke was no exception, and the assembly had a very good moment learning of his - failed - efforts to recruit legendary writters C. S. Lewis and Tolkien (the very J. R. R. Tolkien of Lord of the Ring and Hobbit fame) into the BIS, in 1954.

"Go figure" Clarke said. "I managed to recruit the grand old George Bernard Shaw, aged ninety-one, but not these two. I did try to convince Tolkien and Lewis about the respectability of space travel, but in the end we fell appart over our respective opinions on christianity and faith."

Val Cleaver laughed. "I was there with Arthur, Tolkien and Lewis, in a famous pub. What a meeting that was."

"Surely, that was memorable. And my second meeting with Tolkien was equally good. With a glance at his diminutive publisher Stanley Unwin, he whispered in my ear - guess where I found idea for hobbits ?"

There was an eruption of laughter across the room.

During the luncheon a lot of informal ideas were exchanged. That brainstorming forged relations and friendships that would span for decades. The dream of the space airliner - with its prophets Bono, Salkeld, Bond, Andrews and Hudson and many other across the world - would not die.

University of Rochester, the same day

Robin Zubert was short of its twenty years and a sophomore pursuing a B.A in Mathematics. He also a deep rooted fascination for the space program, more specially for the planet Mars.

Well, over the last weeks he had been a happy young man. On November 14 Mariner 9 had disclosed a stunning world made of colossal volcanoes and canyons. To Robin surprise there had been a lot of informal meetings and discussions over the mission, as if Rochester University had a special connection to the space program.

Robin inquiry led him not too far from his mathematics hall, at the nearby biology department. There, he was told, was professor Wolf Vishniac, and the man had nothing less than a biology instrument to be flown to Mars surface aboard the Viking lander !

Before that, however, Vishniac and a student were preparing an expedition to Antarctica, because that place was Earth closest thing from Mars environment. Zubert did his best to made him useful to the incoming expedition. Antarctica and Mars - he loved that.

Last edited:
Battle for the space shuttle (16)

Archibald

Banned
final battles for the shuttle...

Washington DC
December 14 1971

Tensions between NASA and the Bureau of Budget had never been so latent. Low and Fletcher had been battling the BoB for five sterile weeks, and the situation was now explosive.

Low had gone to the Flax Committee fourth meeting, and drawn a diagram on a blackboard, demonstrating why the TAOS was now NASA preferred option.

Fletcher then sent a copy to the White House, with a cover letter.

"All of these configurations of the Shuttle can be developed for costs substantially below those we planned six months ago. We have progressed to the point where a decision to proceed with the shuttle in connection with the FY 1973 budget process is definitely in order. “

Alas, the elements of a consensus were nowhere in sight. The Flax committee was firmly against Mathematica's shuttle whatever booster it used. The orbiter was just oversized, period.
Fletcher recommended the Mark I/Mark II orbiter with the parallel-staged pressure-fed booster and four J-2S engines burning at liftoff – later replaced by SSMEs – with Mathematica TAOS as backup plan.

Flax bluntly answered Fletcher that in their opinion the Mark I/Mark II concept had never been more than an artificial stratagem to reduce peak funding by stretching out the development, while accepting serious compromises in design.

This tactic evidently irritated the hell out of Flax and its committee. Flax complained of NASA general attitude to Weinberger and the White House, and this made matters worse.

A moment of decision had apparently come on December 2, as the BoB sent Nixon a Memorandum for the President. It dealt with space policy, covering a range of issues.

The memo included a two-page discussion of the Space Shuttle, and presented the BoB's recommendation: "over $1.5 billion for developing the Big Gemini capsule and the Titan III-M, along with approximately $2.25 billion in recurring operational costs. This is the way to go.”

With a stroke of his pen, Nixon would grant his consent:
1. Initiate low-cost manned capsule program
2. Conduct Soviet docking mission
3. Conduct other manned earth-orbital missions – including a follow-on to the Skylab program
4. Apollo 16 and 17
- Cancel both missions
- Cancel just Apollo 16
- Reschedule Apollo 16 and fly both

The BoB's Memorandum for the President acknowledged NASA's recent design revisions, noticing the shift toward Mathematica's shuttle. It however called on the agency to accept a manned spacecraft that would be much less costly

Last year NASA was proposing a $10-12 Billion Shuttle. In response to questions from BoB and OST about whether the benefits justified such a large investment, NASA has since designed a $5.5 B Shuttle which can do all the missions of the larger, more expensive one because it has exactly the same payload capability. (We think both costs are underestimated, perhaps by 50%, i.e., cost overruns are likely on both but more likely on the more expensive version.)
In either case, NASA would plan to replace all of the U.S. expendable booster programs with the Shuttle. Thus, one program, the Shuttle, would dominate NASA for the coming decade, as did Apollo in the 1960's. This would make efforts to reorient NASA to domestic pursuits more difficult, and tend to starve unmanned earth applications missions for resources.
The Shuttle alternative that is chosen must balance costs, benefits and subjective considerations.
What are the Options? NASA, NASA contractors, OST, PSAC and the Bureau of Budget have all given consideration to alternatives to NASA's large Space Shuttle proposal. In summary these alternatives run the gamut from: large systems with partially reusable powered orbiters and boosters ($6 B) to small systems with a capsule and a Titan III non-reusable launch vehicle ($2.5 B).

The BoB proposal stated explicitly that the nation was to "retain the reliable Titan III expendable booster." Nixon took about a week before he read and accepted the OMB memo. Interestingly, he stroke 3. and insisted on this point.

This Saturday, December 11, Fletcher and Low met with Rice, David, and Flanigan.
Rice welcomed them with the following words.
"Felicitation, you saved America’s manned spaceflight program. President Nixon tell us yesterday he appreciated your efforts and the resulting TAOS concept. However he decided to go with a capsule, perhaps that Big Gemini or some uprated Apollo, together with an extended Skylab program."

Fletcher was shocked.

"I just can't accept this decision. We need the shuttle, even in reduced form. We brought with us many TAOS variations – pressure-fed or solid boosters, J-2S or SSME, varied payload and bay sizes. We summarized these variants into the following table" he added "Look at this !" he showed Rice a document

A visibly uninterested Flanigan briefly looked at the table, then said calmly

"You don't understand. We told you again and again that Titan III was cheaper that any shuttle; and Big Gemini or Apollo will preserve manned spaceflight for the future. Because they are less expensive than any shuttle, the President tell us that he wouldn't oppose a manned space station to complement the capsule. What's wrong with these proposals ? Why can’t you accept that ?

"We don’t accept that because our mantra is cutting cost to orbit, not having a space station. Thus I can't accept such a decision - I want to see the President by myself". Fletcher insisted, his face like a tombstone.

"You can't and won't change his opinion " Rice answered, glacial. An enraged Fletcher finally left the room, warning he would fight for the Shuttle "to the end".

George Low now faced Rice, David and Flanigan alone. Flanigan voice was full of ice as he just said "He can't see the President like this." Low shivered. There was something decidly wrong with all the president men.

The Nixon White House

"He said WHAT ?" Nixon shouted in the phone
"He told us to go to Hell" Flanigan said
"You mean James Fletcher, a Mormon ?"
"Yes."

Nixon hanged the phone and took a reflexion.

"Damn those Mormons. I knew something was definitively wrong with them when I met George Romney in '68" Nixon cackled. "What a jerk"

George Romney was a strong supporter of the American Civil Rights Movement.
He briefly represented moderate Republicans against conservative Republican Barry Goldwater during the 1964 U.S. presidential election.
He requested the intervention of federal troops during the 1967 Detroit riot.
Initially a front runner for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in the 1968 election, Romney proved an ineffective campaigner and fell behind Nixon in polls.
Then there was that remark that his earlier support for the Vietnam War had been due to a "brainwashing" by U.S. military and diplomatic officials in Vietnam
Unsurprisingly his campaign faltered even more and he withdrew from the contest in early 1968.
After my election as president, I appointed Romney as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Romney's ambitious plans for housing production increases for the poor, and for open housing to desegregate suburbs, were modestly successful but often thwarted by me.

"Whatever, the shuttle is surely as dead as door nail. That, and that Lockheed bailout that passed only by the slimmest of margin."

Last week when I arrived at the Azores on the Spirit of '76, a Boeing 707, I saw parked in front of me a Concorde which had carried the President of France Georges Pompidou. Our Ambassador to France, Mr. Watson, pointed out that he had come from France at a speed three times as fast as we had come from the United States. I do not speak in envy; I only wish we had made the plane ourselves.

Made the plane ourselves ? or better ?

Preisdent Nixon took up the phone and dialed "John ? John Magruder ? how is that Boeing SST revival going ?"

Last edited:
So much for the Shuttle it seems now. And Fletcher too by the way he's acting.

Btw, I think you mean "Robert Zubrin", not, "Robin Zubert".

Archibald

Banned
spot on ! Glad you noticed it. It was deliberate.
I did some research about Zubrin early life - I needed the context in which he imagined Mars Direct in the late 80's.
ITTL Zubrin destinee will change from 1972 onwards, long before Mars Direct. At the university of Rochester the young Zubrin will find a Mars connection through Wolf Vishniac, himself a friend of Carl Sagan.

Mind you, the battle between OMB and NASA as described here was very, very complicated. I cut a lot of twist and turns.
NASA and the OMB literally splitted hairs again and again, arguing bitterly over shuttle payload bay sizes and payloads, whether the shuttle would be a "fat dynasoar" (an umpowered glider). It was very much a dialogue between two deaf and stubborn people.
Even a mormon like Fletcher nearly lost his temper at times. (more on this later). :p

Last edited:
So by by Shuttle and also for James Fletcher, if he insist on STS...

For the Shuttle is not so bad
NASA estimate $5 billion for Shuttle program in end it became $10 billion nightmare
SSME had costly R&D, the Heat shield had serious problems, only solved by invention of new glue for tiles

Big Gemini/Titan IIIM is with $2.5 billion only 1/4 of OTL Shuttle budget
they could even save cost if Titan IIIM is build together with USAF for there Glider program.
NASA could run under current annual budget and have even a Space station launch by Titan IIIM or F
original bevor Shuttle had NASA administration play with Idea to buy unmanned version of Titan IIIM: the Titan IIIF.
This would have launch various payload with diverse Upper stages from Agena to Centaur.

next to that was also put option to put 4 solid booster on Titans

Last edited:
Battle for the space shuttle (17)

Archibald

Banned
things are going downhill pretty fast... :(

Washington DC.
December 28, 1971

In the end it had been Caspar Weinberger, who was not present at the earlier, tense11 December meeting, that attempted to stop Fletcher.

George Low, puzzled, listened the heated phone conversation between the two men.

Weinberger evidently tried to reason Fletcher; but it was obvious at the same time that he wouldn't change his mind - he was fixed on his October 22 point of view. For half an hour the heated phone conversation continued over and again, with Fletcher and Weinberger arguing bitterly.

Finally a visibly pissed-off Weinberger said

The President wants NASA to look at a manned capsule, period. You have to bit the bullet, and hang on." Weinberger insisted one more time.

And then, unexpectedly and to Low surprise, the usually polite James Fletcher went out of control.

Go to hell !” he shouted. He hanged up the phone and furiously threw the document entitled Logistic spacecraft system evolving from Gemini on his desk.

Look at the future of NASA. Enlarged Geminis. Apollo hardware. Expendable boosters. Thanks bastard Weinberger for that !” he shouted.
What do we do next?” the NASA deputy administrator asked, puzzled.

Fletcher stared outside for a long moment. When he finally turned toward Low, his voice was as cold as the Washington winter.

What can you do, George… I’m retiring. I don’t think I can politically survive this mess. I did my best to obtain the shuttle, and failed.

We will have to wait for years, maybe decades, before lowering the cost of transportation to orbit.”

Fletcher voice was all regrets. “And you’ll be my successor.”

As the acting administrator, of course.” Low was uncertain of what to say.
Oh, it’s much more than that. To get out this shuttle mess we need a person with a strong technical background, a person who'd exercised technical judgement over many years in a wide variety of areas.
I spoke to Thomas Paine some days ago, and he explained me the exact reasons why two years ago he made you his deputy administrator. And he convinced me you’re the right man to succeed myself.

I mean, not as acting administrator. So good luck George. You already handled NASA for a short period. You’re the right man for this agency. Do you best with what those fucking bureaucrats give you.”

Thank you.” Low had difficulties believing what he had heard. "But I can't accept. I won't be the next NASA administrator. What you don't know is, before they chose you last February, I was among the list of contenders. And I refused. Yes, I refused to be the administrator a year ago, and my opinion has not changed to this day."
"But you've been a competent deputy administrator, and did an honest transition. The agency you handle me was quite in a good shape." Fletcher said. But Low just shook his head negatively.

"All I did was to immerse myself fully in day-by-day work. As an interim caretaker administrator, I did not wish to preempt my successor as administrator, since Nixon was expected to nominate a new administrator almost any time. Besides, campaigning for a space project, talking to members of the government and to the public, establishing personal contacts with congressional committees, and interacting on a personal basis with those who felt responsible for this nation space program, are definitively not my cup of tea.

To put it more bluntly: above all I'm an engineer and manager; I'm not good dealing with all the political garbage."

"So you refused."
"So I refused. I'm ready for yet another interim, if possible shorter, and to remain the deputy administrator after that."
He shaked Fletcher hand.

“We have to move forward. I don’t think any capsule will create as much jobs as the shuttle would have had…”

It won’t. Even Big Gemini – I hopes you realize the name is a sale gimmick from Douglas – will break no ground in technology. It will be ready faster and cheaper than the shuttle would have, probably around 1977.

You’ll have to find another program in the medium term. Whatever happen, Marshall and North American will take a severe hit.”

Without shuttle, emphasis will inevitably switch to a space station." Low stated. "That’s the only Space Task Group option we can reasonably hope for in the next future, now that Mars and the Moon are out of question and NERVA postponed sine die. Nixon needs to preserve jobs in California aerospace industry, that's why he mentioned a space station, a follow-on to Skylab."

"So you give up, George ? Won't you fight more for the shuttle ?" Fletcher sighed.
"It's not against you, James. Look, we can't change the presidential decision. I had doubts over the shuttle future since the day the OMB capped our budget to $3.2 billion per year for the next future and forced us to the one-billion-per-year shuttle. In my opinion the Glider, the "fat Dynasoar", was our fallback option if things went wrong with the OMB - and they did.
We failed when did not considered that fallback option seriously. We were left with nothing but Big Gemini or perhaps a block III Apollo - a manned capsule.

I see. And the fucking military were sceptical on the shuttle since the beginning. Don’t expect any help from them” Fletcher was all rage.“The other day I discussed the Shuttle with the Director of defence Research and Engineering (DDR&E) - John Foster. Did you know what his opinion is ?”
No”
Well, Foster insists that the Shuttle had to be built along with a place to go: a space station. You have an ally there !” Fletcher said dryly.

Well James, as much as I love the shuttle, the best we can do would be a mixed fleet – a 10 000 pounds-payload shuttle with Titan for heavier payloads.”
That won’t work. Mathematica told us the shuttle needs 60 flights per year or burst. To achieve the flight rate we have to get ride of every expendable outside Scout – not only Titan, but also Atlas and Delta and Saturn."

Fletcher shook his head in disbelief.

"Now just consider this fact. If we go with Big Gemini, it will be the first time in the history of manned spaceflight that there won’t be a bidding contest. Be ready to face major opposition, notably from North American and many other contractors: Lockheed has the Corona, Northrop a couple of lifting body shapes. Martin Marietta will certainly want to complete the Titan with its own lifting body, a X-24 derivative. Boeing and Grumman have nothing yet, but scaled-down shuttles may be attractive, too, with all the work already done on the orbiter.”
And DynaSoar.” Low added.

The two men felt silent. George Low knew that he would have to assume NASA leadership again – albeit he was not sure how long his stint would last this time. Finding a successor to James Chipman Fletcher might be a rude task for those concerned.

After the visibly broken Fletcher left George Low eye was caught by one of the documents on the desk next to him.

It was a tentative list of names supposedly better than the bland "space shuttle" moniker.

Earlier piloted spacecraft had carried names such as Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo, but they were unsure whether the new one would break with this practice or not. Low reminded that himself, Fletcher and Willy Shapley had prepared a list that included Pegasus, Hermes, Astroplane, and Skylark.

Flanigan had passed this list to White House staffers, who picked the name Space Clipper, which resembled Lockheed's Star-Clipper, the very concept Mueller had pitched to the British Interplanetary Society that day of August 1968, starting the space shuttle enchilada.

And now the list stood there, perfectly unuseful. A broken dream, the symbol of a spaceship that would never be.

There was another document on the desk, another broken promise.
It was a memo concerned with potential space shuttle launch sites - outside of Cape Kennedy and Vandenberg AFB, California.

The Space Shuttle Launch and Recovery Site Review Board, as it was known, had been chaired by Floyd Thompson, a former director of NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia.

The Board got its start on 26 April 1971, when Dale Myers, NASA Associate Administrator for Manned Space Flight, charged it with determining whether any of the candidate sites could host a single new Shuttle launch and landing site as versatile as KSC and VAFB were together. The consolidation scheme aimed to trim Shuttle cost by eliminating redundancy.

The board had reviewed no less than 150 candidate Shuttle launch and landing sites in 40 of the fifty U.S. states !
A few were NASA-selected candidates, but most were put forward by members of Congress, state and local politicians, and even private individuals.

The proposed Space Shuttle launch and landing sites were a motley mix. Many were Defense Department air bases of various types (for example, Patuxent Naval Air Station, Maryland), while a few were city airports (for example, the Lincoln, Nebraska Municipal Airport).

Texas proposed two sites at the Big Bend of the Rio Grande River and Wyoming offered 11 of its 23 counties.

KSC and VAFB were on the list, as were NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, and Ellington Air Force Base in Houston, Texas, which had as its chief function to serve NASA’s Manned Spacecraft Center.

In its efforts to cull unsuitable sites, the Thompson Board focused most of its attention on the effects of sonic booms. Based on this and other criteria, the Thompson Board had recently trimmed the list of candidate single Space Shuttle launch and landing sites to just seven.

These were: KSC; VAFB; Edwards Air Force Base, California; Las Vegas, Nevada; Matagorda Island, Texas; Michael Army Air Field/Dugway Proving Ground, Utah; and Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho.

Before Weinberger cancelled the shuttle mid-October, many uncertainities remained with the booster, however - not only was it no longer reusable, it was also unpiloted or even unguided.
Pinpoint landings would be accordingly difficult, restricting the launch sites to desertic areas. Worse, some booster concepts could not even hard land - they would have to splashdown in the Atlantic, eliminating all non-coastal launch sites.

In the end the only site beside Kennedy and Vandenberg that presented all the booster safety requirements was Matagorda Island, Texas.

The Thompson Board then compared the cost of building and operating a single new Space Shuttle launch and landing facility at Matagorda Island, 65 miles south of Houston, Texas, with the cost of modifying and operating both KSC and VAFB.

It was impossible to launch in polar orbit from the Cape, for the simple reason that any launch north of 62 degree overfly populated areas.

Hence the need for Vandenberg. Matagorda had no such limitations. Matagorda Island however had no spaceflight infrastructure already in place - in fact it has no infrastructure at all !

Roads, railways, an electric grid, a harbor, an airport, waste treatment plants, and a water system would all need to be built new or expanded. Thousands of workers would need to relocate to the area in less than five years, placing enormous strain on local housing, schools, and what few amenities existed in the immediate area. At the same time, the communities around KSC, already under pressure as the Apollo Program drew to an end, would suffer catastrophic job losses. Needless to say, the Matagorda plan was found to be unacceptable !

Last edited:
Europe in space (5)

Archibald

Banned
Why no European deep space probes in the 70's, 80's ? Because...

(One can ask why Europe didn't become the third major space power - why didn't the Europeans send probes to the Moon, Venus, Mars, the asteroids ?)

20 December 1971

Two sessions of the fourth meeting of the European Space Conference, on 22-24 July and 4 November 1970, did not succeed in reaching an agreement on the critical issues of launcher development and relationship with the United States.

The latent crisis that had for some years characterised the European space activities burst out at the second meeting, where "the disunity between the countries favouring a 'coherent policy' including an independent European launcher effort and the others reached such a magnitude that the meeting broke up".
By the end of the year 1970 all plans for a unified European organisation receded and the future itself of Europe in space appeared rather grim. Denmark and France went as far as to denounce the ESRO Convention in order not to incur financial obligations extending beyond the first eight year period.

The new Chairman of the Council, the Italian physicist G. Puppi, former Chairman of the ESC's Committee of Senior Officials, was given the task of negotiating a suitable compromise in order to drive the Organisation, as smoothly as possible, to its new institutional obligations in the application field and, at the same time, to offer European space policymakers new ground for negotiations.

After one full year of intense negotiations and several Council meetings, in December 1971 the compromise was worked out and it became known as the "first package deal".

The main aspect of the deal is the decision that ESRO should finally cease to be an organisation solely devoted to scientific research and undertake three application satellite programmes with different sets of Member States involved (optional programmes).

Here the four major Member States, Britain, France, Germany and Italy agreed to participate in three applications satellite programmes, thus establishing the backbone of what became known as the first package deal.

It took another six months, however, for delegates to agree on all the interlocking components of this package deal in which the science programme, along with its various components – satellites, sounding rockets (at ESTRANGE in Kiruna, Sweden) and basic research (at Esrin in Frascati) – was the major loser.

The final resolution on the reform of ESRO was, in fact, only adopted by the Council at its 44th session on 20 December 1971.

The 1971 package deal marked "the beginning of a new period in the life of ESRO".

The Organisation was definitely transformed into a space agency mainly devoted to application satellites with only a minor fraction of its jobs and funds devoted to science.

During the laborious negotiations which led to the compromise, "the whole scientific programme was put in some doubt", the chairman of the STC reported.
In the first draft of Puppi's package deal, in fact, it was suggested that the scientific programme should be made optional from 1974, a position strongly supported by France, and only with a drastic reduction of funds had it been finally agreed to keep it mandatory.

The sum of 27 MAU, however, fell quite short of scientists' expectations. The statement concluded that "the minimum level of funding required for a truly viable scientific satellite programme lies between 43 and 47 MAU".

Whatever, the budget was to stay flat at 27 MAU for a decade or more - imagine if NASA robotic exploration program was capped at 20 million dollar annually !

M.A.U = Million Accounting Unit
1 M.A.U = 0.75 dollar

Last edited:
China in space (1)

Archibald

Banned
meanwhile in China...

(source; Sino-defense blog)

http://sinodefence.com/2015/07/22/china-manned-space-history-1/

...China briefly attempted to launch an artificial Earth satellite into orbit in 1958, but the programme was cancelled in early 1959 due to the country’s economic hardship.

By the early 1960s, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) had instigated a series of corrective measures to recover from the disastrous results of the ‘Great Leap Forward’ campaign of the late 1950s.

By the mid-1960s, the country’s economy was back on track and the space programme was once again back on the agenda.
On 2 August 1965, the Central Special Committee chaired by Premier Zhou Enlai formally approved the China Academy of Sciences (CAS)’s plan for developing the country’s space technology, including scientific experimental satellites, application satellites, and manned spacecraft.
In March 1966, the National Defence Science & Technology Commission (NDSTC), which oversaw China’s nuclear weapon and missile programme, hosted a closed session conference in the military-run Jingxi Hotel in Beijing. The purpose of the conference was to develop the concept for a manned space mission.

A working group was set up during the conference to include Cai Qiao, Vice Director of the Academy of Military Medical Sciences; Bei Shizhang, Director of the Institute of Biophysics of the China Academy of Sciences; and Shen Qizhen, Director of the China Academy of Medical Sciences.
After some 20 days of intensive debates, the working group came up with a high-level plan for the manned space mission, including the launch of biological satellites or sounding rockets carrying animals to test the effects of microgravity and space radiations on humans.

The discussions then went to wider audience. During a conference in May 1966 for drafting China’s ten-year satellite development plan in 1966—75, Jia Siguang (Academy of Military Medicine) made a presentation to all conference delegates on the purposes of manned spacecraft. Xu Liancang (Institute of Psychology of the China Academy of Sciences) presented a plan for developing the manned spacecraft.

The ten-year development plan envisaged a three-step roadmap: to use scientific experimental satellites to validate the various technologies; to further develop application satellites for Earth-observation, communications, missile early warning, navigation, and nuclear test detection roles; and to develop a manned capsule based on the recoverable satellite technology.
Biology Sounding Rocket Launches

In 1963, the CAS Institute of Biophysics proposed the use of the two-stage T-7A sounding rocket for biological and high-altitude medical research. The Shanghai Institute of Machinery and Electronics (SIME) modified the rocket’s payload compartment into a pressurised capsule, equipped with onboard camera, oxygen supply, and electrocardiogram telemetry systems.

On 19 July 1964, a T-7A-I biology rocket carried a group of white laboratory rates for a suborbital flight that reached 70 km altitude. The rats were successfully returned to Earth alive. This was followed by two more successful suborbital flights also carrying white laboratory rats in June 1965.

In October 1965, the Institute of Biophysics proposed further suborbital flights carrying more advanced animals. The SIME made further modifications to the T-7A rocket, including an enlarged payload nosecone 600 millimetres in diameter and improved tracking and telemetry systems. The rocket also carried additional propellants, increasing its take-off weight to 1,325 kilograms.

On 14 July 1966, a T-7A-II biology sounding rocket was launched from the Guangde Launch Site. Its passenger was China’s first space dog Xiao Bao (“Little Leopard”), who was selected from a pool of 30 experimental dogs through a strict training and screening process. The dog was trained to accept confinement, spacesuit, noise, vibration and physiological sensors. The rocket reached an altitude of 100 km, before returning the passenger capsule safely to Earth. Two weeks later a second launch was conducted on 28 July, sending space dog Shan Shan into space and then safely recovering.

In August 1966, the Institute of Biophysics and the SIME began the preparation for new missions to send monkeys into space onboard the T-7A biology rocket. However, the project was soon brought to a halt by the political turmoils of the Cultural Revolution that began in that summer. With the scientists and engineers working on the biology sounding rocket denounced and even persecuted, the space monkey mission had to be abandoned.

Under the instruction of the Seventh Ministry of Machinery Industry (Ministry of Missile Industry), in March 1967 the Shanghai-based 8th Academy formed a team headed by Wang Xiji to develop a manned spacecraft. In September of the same year, Wang and his team drew up the concept of a one-man capsule based on the Fanhui Shi Weixing (FSW, “Recoverable Satellite”).

However, the design was vetoed by the Vice Minister of the Seventh Ministry Qian Xuesen on the basis that the one-man crew arrangement glorified ‘individual heroism’ — something unfavourable under the political climate at the time. Wang’s team went back to the drawing board and produced four revised designs with one, two, three, and five crew members. Qian also named the manned capsule Shuguang (“Dawn”).

In 1968, the Shuguang development programme was reassigned to the 501 System Design Department of the newly formed China Academy of Space Technology (CAST, a.k.a. the 5th Academy). As the design department voted most of its resources to the development of the Dongfanghong 1 satellite, little progress was made on the development of the manned capsule over the next two years.

In November 1970, the NDSTC and the Seventh Ministry hosted a conference to discuss the development plan in the next stage of China’s space programme. The 5th Academy presented to the conference the design proposal for Shuguang 1, a two-man capsule capable of flying in low Earth orbit for up to eight days. A full-scale mockup of the capsule was also displayed during the conference.

Shuguang 1 was similar in size and design to the U.S. Gemini vehicle. The spacecraft consisted of two parts — a habitable Crew Module at front and a Service Module at back. The Crew Module, also serving as the re-entry capsule, contained the pressurised crew compartment with two ejection seats and a control panel. In front of them was an equipment compartment housing the various flight instruments, radio equipment, the parachute and four retrofire rockets. The crew could control the vehicle using a control sticker handle. The aft Service Module would accommodate the orientation rocket engine, propellant tanks, batteries and communication antennas.

Like the Recoverable Satellite, Shuguang 1 would first jettison its Service Module prior to the re-entry, and then make an unpowered descent through the atmosphere, before lowering its velocity to an acceptable level using its parachute. The two crew members would then use their ejection seats to bail out the capsule before landing.

On 27 November 1970, the NDSTC submitted its plan for the development of the Shuguang 1 manned spacecraft to the Central Military Commission (CMC) and the Chinese Communist Party’s Central Committee. The spacecraft was to be launched atop the Dong Feng-6 (DF-6) intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) under development at the time.

The first unmanned test flight of the spacecraft was scheduled for 1973, followed by the manned mission in 1974.
Under the suggestion of Qian Xuesen, the Institute of Cosmos Medicine & Engineering Research (or 507 Institute in its code name) was formed on 1 April 1968 out of the Institute of Biophysics of the CAS, Unit 236 of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA), and the Military Work Physiology Research Institute of the Academy of Military Medicine.

Primary responsibilities of the institute included conducting researches in space medicine and leading the selection and training of Chinese astronauts for future manned space missions.

In October 1970, the PLA formed a selection committee responsible for recruiting astronaut candidates. The committee first worked with the PLA Air Force to identify potential candidates from active-duty fighter jet pilots. The pilots were screened for their physical conditions such as age, height, weight, medical history, service records and performance, as well as their political loyalty and family background.

Out of the 1,918 pilots who were regarded as qualified, 88 were picked for further detailed medical examinations in Beijing beginning in January 1971.

The selection process lasted for several months and was conducted in extreme secrecy. The pilots were housed in the Air Force General Hospital in complete isolation, with no contact with the outside or their families allowed. Even the pilots themselves were not told what the selection process was for, and many assumed that they were being selected for flying an advanced fighter jet. The candidates were eliminated one by one through ten formal screening steps.

Eventually 19 candidates were chosen from the 88 to take part in the training programme to become astronauts.

In April 1971, the plan to develop and launch China’s manned spacecraft was officially approved by the Chinese political leadership, including Chairman Mao Zedong and his deputy the Defence Minister Lin Biao.

The 5th Academy was instructed to begin with the Shuguang 1 development. The PLA Air Force was ordered to collaborate with space institutions to establish an astronaut training group. The programme was given a code name “Project 714” to commemorate the date.

In April 1971, over 400 space professionals and officials from 80 research institutions across the country gathered in Beijing to evaluate and finalise the details for the manned spacecraft. The conference kicked off a series of researches including spacecraft materials and heat protection in the following months.

On 13 May, the PLA Air Force activated a 500-man unit headed by Xue Lun (Commander of the 24th Air Division) to provide support for astronaut training. The unit headquarters, known as Project 714 Office, was situated inside Building No.49 of the Air Force College.

The 19 astronaut candidates were asked to report to the unit no later than November to commence a two-year training programme. In the next few months, Xue and his team rushed to build training facilities and develop training plans in preparation for the upcoming training programme.

In August 1970, construction work began in the mountains near Xichang, Sichuang Province in central China for a new rocket launch facility to support the manned space mission. The site is situated on 28°N latitude, much closer to the Equator than the existing launch site at Jiuquan (42°N) in order to gain the maximum payload advantage from the Earth’s rotation speed.

On 13 September 1971, China’s number two leader and Chairman Mao Zedong’s chosen heir, the Defence Minister Lin Biao fled the country and died in a plan crash in Mongolia en route to his defection to the Soviet Union, following an alleged unsuccessful coup to overthrow Mao. China once again descended into political chaos. In the aftermath of the incident, Lin’s closest supporters including the Air Force Commander were purged systematically for taking part in Lin’s plot.

The investigation also extended to lower levels of the military apparatus. Xue Lun and other members of Office 714 were detained for sustained interrogation that lasted for nearly a year.

The 19 astronaut candidates reported to the office in November 1971 as required but could not begin their astronaut training. Soon the astronaut group was disbanded, with the pilots returned to their original units.

Construction of the new launch site at Xichang had been progressing very slowly due to unclear and frequently changed objectives. By late 1971 the 12,000 engineering troops had stopped the building work while waiting for new instruction from the military headquarters in Beijing.

Faced with no budget and enormous technical difficulties, the Shuguang 1 development also slowed down and eventually ground to a halt in early 1972. The cancellation of the DF-6 ICBM development in 1972 was another major blow to the programme as Shuguang 1 lost its proposed launcher rocket.

Half of the design team were reassigned to the Shi Jian 2 satellite development. By late 1973 the development became unsustainable and the programme manager had no choice but to release his staffs. Soon there was only one person left in the entire design team.

On 23 October 1974, the Seventh Ministry and the NDSTC jointly reported to the CMC on the status of the manned space programme. Heads of the two departments admitted that the Shuguang 1 development had made little progress since its launch in 1970, and called for ‘necessary adjustment’ to the programme by postponing the first launch to the late 1970s.

Unlike its grand launch in 1970, there was no definitive ending to Project 714. Since the project was personally approved by Chairman Mao, nobody would dare to ask it to be cancelled. The programme simply died out as a result of the country’s weak economic strength, poor industrial capabilities, and unfavourable political climate. Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai was later quoted saying that China shouldn’t join the Soviet Union and the United States in their space race, and that the country should focus on things on Earth first.

index.php

Last edited:
CHAPTER 3

Archibald

Banned
1972 is coming ! Brace yourself for an eventful year in NASA history...

“…Yet another extrapolation is what McDonnell Douglas call the Advanced Skylab. Using the back-up orbital workshop as one component of the new design, NASA would need to convert a redundant S-IVB stage for mating to the existing tank of the Skylab craft at the forward end.

The docking adapter and airlock module of the current spacecraft would be deleted and a supply module, delivered by a Big Gemini, would provide a longer lifetime than the present design, where consumable items are the limiting factor.

Obviously this particular proposal, unlike the previous suggestions, is ideally suited to succeed the cancelled shuttle, and the annual financing is reduced owing to the slower pace of development.

There are many virtues to such a proposal.

It would provide genuine multi-national participation in scientific experiments and support a broad spectrum of Earth orientated investigations.

It would also enable good use to be made of existing hardware at minimum cost by providing a continuation of Skylab experience on the basis of missions already planned.

But even more important, it would provide valuable experience for astronauts and cosmonauts in working together in space, cementing the very best in international co-operation.

In all these major proposals, however, the continuation of manned space operations is the driving force. There is much to be said for allocating a small portion of the budget to a well-balanced investment in a continuation of manned orbital flight.

Many influential and knowledgeable scientists endorsed the NASA plans to invest so much of its funds in a reusable transporter. But the ending of flights could be unwise at a time when NASA is hard-pressed to retain the nucleus of an experienced team in these financially lean years.

Nevertheless, not all the equipment, although man-rated, need be used for costly missions. By incorporating redundant hardware into planetary, astronomical and Earth-science research, the remaining, mothballed heavy launchers of the Apollo era can be used to lift valuable payloads to space.

For example, both the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the Ames Research Centre have expressed great interest in a Jupiter orbiter mission. Both organisations are heavily committed to supporting planetary exploration, being responsible for the Mariner and Pioneer fly-by spacecraft respectively.

Using a Saturn IB/Centaur/ Burner-II combination the space agency could launch a 2,3001b Mariner spacecraft toward Jupiter in September 1978. Thirty months later the spacecraft would go into orbit around this giant planet to continue the exploration begun with Pioneers 10 and 11. The only other launch vehicle suited to such a mission is the Titan IIID/Centaur/ Burner II, which would require expensive uprating to perform the flight.

Astronomical sciences are to be served by the Large Space Telescope, a 20,0001b-25,0001b craft which will be placed in a 350-420 nautical miles orbit at a 28-5° inclination. It had been assigned to one of the early shuttle flights; with cancellation of the project, the LST might be launched by a Saturn IB without modification, and housed at launch within a conventional 260in diameter Skylab shroud.

The only other suitable launch vehicle is the Titan III, but the weight in this case would be limited to 18,0001b and the circular orbit reduced to 330 nautical miles, reducing the experiment payload within the spacecraft and shortening its life.

Skylab launchings are scheduled from November, 1972, to May, 1973, and the project will likely get about $500-million in next year's budget-up from $405-million in fiscal 1971.

Much of the increase NASA seeks for the unmanned part of fiscal 1972 budget will be carved out for the Viking program. Viking, on which Martin Marietta Corp. is prime contractor, could receive about $185-million next year, up from $28-million.

Even when the shuttle was alive, NASA did not stopped planning capsule missions - if only to use remaining Apollo hardware. Skylab and the joint flight with the Soviets will expend four Apollo ships; yet three more remain. They are, respectively a Skylab rescue vehicle and two lunar spacecrafts build for the cancelled Apollo 19 and Apollo 20 landings.

What to with these ships has been the subject of interesting brainstormings.

The remaining Apollos could perform more flights to Skylab - either a fourth to Skylab A, or three to the backup vehicle known as Skylab B.

Alternate joint flights with the Soviets have been considered, involving Salyut or Skylab itself, or a combining of Apollo, Soyuz and the two aforementioned space stations.

It has also been proposed Apollo flew alone - on remote sensing missions. In this case the Apollo would carry multispectral cameras into the SIM bay, an instrument recess on the side of the service module.

An alternate fly-alone mission would have tested shuttle hardware, for example the robotic arm. It would have been carried on the service module, and could even have been flown on the internaional flight. In this case the arm would be used to remove the docking module from Apollo nose.

An Apollo moonship could also test the shuttle thermal protection system - made of ceramic tiles - or even fly precursor "sortie modules".

The sortie lab is a pressurized canister carried into the shuttle payload bay, essentially a surrogate space station for which Europe shows some interest. Which in turn bring the concept of european astronauts flying aboard an Apollo, a somewhat fascinating prospect.

It remain to be seen whether one of these concepts may return, one way or another... put together they form a viable nucleus for a non-shuttle manned spaceflight program.

Source : ADVANCED SKYLAB ? Flight International, January 20 1972

Last edited:
1972: NASA hell of a year (1)

Archibald

Banned
1972 - NASA at crossroads

"Large Space Telescope systems, such as power supplies, data storage units, and transmitting equipment, as well as components from the telescope itself, must be extremely reliable over a long period of time (...)

In view of the cost and magnitude of the initial installation, the telescope must be capable of full operations for many years.

To meet these requirements, manned servicing of the facility seems unavoidable.

The presence of man, at least at intervals, appears essential for three many functions: initial alignment, adjustment, and checking of the telescope and of the scientific and support equipment; maintenance of the equipment, including periodic inspection and repair, and modification of the system, particularly replacing replacing and updating the instrumentation as the scientific program demand.

If man is considered essential to the long term operation of the LST, the telescope should be designed so that all its components can be maintained, replaced or repaired in orbit. Further, since precision work is extremely difficult in a space suit (...) a manned space station nearby, with full life support equipment, would probably be required also. "

(Excerpt from: Scientific uses of the large space telescope National Research Council - Space Science Board Ad-Hoc Committee on the Large Space Telescope - 1969)

“What kind of program can we run?” Joe Muldoon asked Phil Stone. He riffled a pile of photostats, journals, and books on his desks.

“If I could eat proposals, I’d be a fat man; the one thing we’re not short of is ideas.

Should we go back to the Moon and start mining it for minerals?

Or maybe we should capture an asteroid, toss it in Earth orbit and mine it for rare metals.

Maybe we can build colonies at the libration points of the Earth-Moon system.

Maybe we should have factories in space, making crystals, or drugs, or perfect, seamless metal spheres.

Maybe we could build huge hydroponic farms in space, where the sun always shines.

Or maybe we ought to put up square miles of solar arrays, for clean power.

Maybe we could mine the Earth’s upper atmosphere for lox…”

NASA wasn’t short of visionaries, and new ideas, and proposals of all sorts. But there was no unity.

(Stephen Baxter, Voyage)

Last edited:

Archibald

Banned
A little bump - the National Reconnaissance Office just declassified a staggering amount of technical documents and pictures of the MOL.
http://www.nro.gov/foia/declass/MOL.html

There are some fascinating hindsight about DynaSoar cancellation late 1963.

Also, MOL and AAP-Skylab parallel developments over the decade of the 60's
meant that at some point in their stories - 1965 -to 1967 there were efforts to blend the two programs as they were considered redundant waste of (happy) taxpayer money.

Some MOL pictures looks as if taken straight out of a sci-fi movie.

It's really interesting what they blacked out. Room for decent speculation there.

oh yes
like a Remote Maneuvering Unit. To evaluate the astronaut's ability to control the Remote Maneuvering Unit (RMU) the rest of sentences is blacked out

most stuff blacked out is Optical system because it was use on later Spy sat generation
and NRO internal business, like the guy responsible for MOL program label as NRO controller, his name is blacked out in all 825 documents

Next Gemini they look in to option of using Apollo Hardware for MOL !
http://www.nro.mil/foia/declass/mol/63.pdf
http://www.nro.mil/foia/declass/mol/74.pdf

And also here Study of advance Titan IIIC what let to Titan IIIM
http://www.nro.gov/foia/declass/mol/138.pdf

1972: NASA hell of a year (2)

Archibald

Banned
dawn of a new era

January 24, 1972

George Low rapidly rattled through the pile of notes and technical memorandums that had landed on his desk. He worked his way rapidly through the documents, analytic. And what the notes were telling him, the conclusions he made, smelled bad.

The situation was overly complicated.

NASA had too much large projects on its plate. Competing were the space shuttle, the space station with a crew capsule and the NERVA nuclear rocket, all for manned flight; unmanned spaceflight was no better, with Viking, that Grand Tour, and a new start: the Large Space Telescope.

Six large projects ? Hell no. The shuttle's already dead. First casualty, and it might not be the last.

Viking was essentially safe, although it had been pushed back by two years, to 1975. Serious difficulties and cost overruns plagued, not the entire program, rather a part of it: the life seeking package. They would probably have to cancel one out of five experiments, infuriating many scientists in the process…

The Large Telescope was only beginning, so it was not a problem yet.

The real competition opposed a large unmanned project, the Grand Tour, to the manned spaceflight next big thing - be it the shuttle or a more balanced combination of Space Station and manned capsule.

The Grand Tour consisted of four bleeding-edge technology probes to be send across the outer solar system, from Jupiter to Pluto.

And, to complicate matters further, a third large project came on the heels of Grand tour and manned spaceflight: that NERVA nuclear rocket could push altogether Grand Tour-like probes to the outer solar system or manned expeditions to the Moon or Mars !

Politics made things even more murky. The Senate had had a dedicated committee devoted to space; its chairman, Clinton Anderson, was a die-hard fan of NERVA. Not that nuclear energy or spaceflight mattered much to him: the harsh truth was that the nuke employed many peoples in New Mexico, the very state Anderson was senator.

Another supporter of NERVA was the Nevada senator, nothing surprising again since the nuke testbeds were located high on the desert there. And there was also representative Chester Holifield, a nuclear lobbyist and representative of California altogether. Holifield massed as much power as Anderson, reigning supreme over the Atomic Energy Commission and its big nuclear labs - Oak Ridge, Livermore and Los Alamos.

Low knew that better than anybody else. A year before the nuclear lobby in Congress had grilled him over the agonizing NERVA.

"Now, let's get to this question that you have raised that the shuttle is the only vehicle that could launch the NERVA. The NERVA was not originally proposed as a part of the shuttle program, was it?"
"When NERVA was originally planned, and until about 2 or 3 years ago, NERVA would have been launched into space using a large conventional booster like the Saturn V. However, we have now made a decision, which we discussed with the committee last year, to suspend production on the Saturn V. We only have enough Saturn V's available for Apollo, Skylab, plus two spares beyond that. So the only vehicle in our planning in NASA today for NERVA is the shuttle.
"But this committee last year told you to take whatever action was necessary to try to match up the shuttle with the NERVA,
"And that has been done.
"Yes; but that is not the only alternative. It would still be possible to launch NERVA on an upgraded Titan III, would it not?
"I do not know whether an upgraded Titan III could lift the NERVA engine. I will have to ask Milton Klein on that.
"Well, Mr. Klein, then?

"Senator Cannon, it does appear that an upgraded Titan would have the weight lifting capability to launch the NERVA engine. It would require a modular approach similar in nature to that we are planning in conjunction with the shuttle mission and program standpoint, there are, of course, other factors which make the shuttle the attractive."

Damn the congressmen, and damn the politics. Low just hated that stuff, it was the core reason why he had refused the job of administrator.

He had also heard a rumour that NASA best ennemies Walter Mondale and William Proxmire were bracing themselves for another anti-shuttle campaign - although, as far as Low was concerned, they would now beat a dead horse. He had no issue with that provided that kept them away from the space station.

Now another actor had entered the shark pool of politics: NASA own center, Marshall, apparently had decided to play the wild card.

Eberhard Rees had been von Braun right arm and immediate successor at the Redstone Arsenal. Rees obviously wanted as much work as possible for its center, rightly fearing it might been closed after Apollo wound down.

Rees had all too well understood how all the six large endeavours – the shuttle, the space station and its capsule, the NERVA, Grand Tour, Large Telescope, and Viking – weighed over, and in far greatly exceeded, the NASA budget for the next fiscal years.
So Rees had cooked its own recipe from these elements, and lobbied Low hard to impose his solution, enraging many people in the process.
According to Rees, Marshall could play a major role in every of the six big programs.
If NASA ever build the shuttle, Marshall could play the card of its sophisticated engines – after all they had certified Apollo F-1 and J-2.
If NASA ever build a space station, well, Skylab was already a nice foray in this direction, wasn't it ?
Marshall also proposed a smaller NERVA as a space tug and, of course, upper stages of a new batch of its cherished Saturn boosters. The fact that NASA had been forced to use the Air Force Titan made Rees mad: he couldn't believed Saturn would not ultimately won the day.
With a nuclear upper stage a Saturn could either boost a heavier Large Space Telescope to a very high orbit, or launch the Grand Tour probes onto very, very fast trajectories toward the outer planets or even boost all three Vikings to Mars into a single launch !

Rees message was crystal clear.

Can't you see ? Marshall can fold every big space project you want into a single, coherent program. The very objective the Space Task Group failed miserably at in 1969

The problem was that Rees was going over many asses doing that, angering a lot of peoples in the process.

Johnson was furious since Marshall intruded into its manned spaceflight turf.

Goddard was furious since Marshall intruded over the space telescope business.

JPL was furious because Marshall interfered with Grand Tour and Viking altogether, probes that had already booked their ride to space a top Titan rockets.

The space telescope thing was worrisome. Truth be told, Goddard had way too much projects on its plate; the center was seriously overloaded with science and applications satellites. So Marshall had proposed itself, not only for the future telescope, but also for a near term forerunner, the HEAO – High Energy Astronomical Observatories.

In 1969 Marshall had been made lead center for that program, but since then and under Rees influence, HEAO had become four huge, expensive satellites: yet another expensive program on NASA plate.

So Low had now to deal with Marshall fierce activism, along with the sheer weight of seven large scale projects that together busted the limits of NASA shrinking budget.

There will probably be no real winner, he thought.

The shuttle was already dead, NERVA was moribund and would probably not survive for long. The space telescope and Viking would probably not be affected, being, one too early, the other too late, in their respective developments. The space station decision had not been made yet, only a dumb capsule that would probably weight very little over the next three years.

That made the Grand Tour a notable winner; it was, however, a pyrrhic victory. The National Academies Woods Hole meeting, held in August 1971, had recommended a downscaling of the project to a couple of improved Mariner probes, with an eventual third, backup probe to be launched later, completing the earlier mission.
Downscaling the Grand Tour meant that the funds earn there could go to Viking; perhaps they could stuck with the five life-seeking experiments planned earlier. The Space telescope could also be accelerated, perhaps tied to the space station for limited on-orbit servicing since there would be no shuttle to retrieve it and bring it back to Earth for checkout, maintenance and uprating…

Another urgent problem was that Low was essentially driving NASA alone since Fletcher departure. He had already made a stint as acting administrator a year before, filling a seven months gap between Tom Paine and Fletcher. He very much doubted Nixon would undergo again the excruciating, painful task of finding another external administrator.

But he didn't wanted the job.

And then the phone rung. President Nixon himself.

"We reviewed again the short list of potential NASA administrators we had a year ago – minus Fletcher of course. You, Jameson of Teledyne, and my under-secretary of transportation, are the top-ranking candidates.

We don't like Jameson very much – too aggressive and arrogant, he might be a new Tom Paine.

So that let you and the other man. We want you, since you've been at NASA for such a long time… say yes, and you'll be administrator."

Here we go again.
"I can't accept. But I think James Beggs is the right man."
There was a very brief silence on the phone. Yes, I knew the name of your undersecretary of transportation, mister President...
"I swear you refuse, then ?"
"Indeed. But I'm quite sure Beggs can do the job, and I'll remain his deputy administrator as long as needed."
Nixon spoke for a minute, then the conversation ended.

So it would be Beggs. Good luck to you. With NERVA agonizing and the Shuttle dead, it was obvious that unmanned spaceflight had won the day.

What was left of manned spaceflight ?
Skylab, the last two Apollo to the Moon, and a new manned capsule that ensured future of manned spaceflight, perhaps packaged with a new, modular space station. While the shuttle costs did not allowed any space station beyond Skylab, the much less expensive Big Gemini did.

Big Gemini ? It occurred to Low that even that one was nothing but secured. North American Rockwell had protested loudly, and they had been heard by Congress. A new bidding process would be held; the Request For Proposal had already been send to the contractors.

Sure enough, the year to come promised to be a difficult one. NASA was starved of political support; they desesperately needed new allies in Congress to secure a project bigger than Big Gemini or any capsule - probably a space station.

But the space station, much like the shuttle before it, lacked apeal in Congress. By contrast the NERVA, agonizing as it was, still had a very robust political base. Perhaps they should try to play that political card; perhaps they could try and sell Congress a small NERVA as a nuclear space tug to push satellites into geosynchronous orbit... later that tug would be a backdoor to future manned missions to the Moon.

Low had heard a rumour according to which Ames director Hans Mark and Wernher von Braun himself were leading a desesperate charge to save the space shuttle, arguing it was paramount to man presence into space.

In turn, von Braun pledged that people were absolutely essential if NASA was going to conduct really sophisticated space operations. There was no real substitute to human judgement and imagination on the spot, and only people can take advantage of unexpected opportunities and deal with emergencies.

All good arguments, George Low felt, but not receivable at the time. It was too late for the shuttle, but there was still hope for man in space - if only because of Weinberger pledge of August 1971.
Von Braun was on the way out of NASA, to a post at Fairchild. As for Hans Mark, if he wanted to save his head and his center programs he would have to tune down the rethoric. The fact was that Ames could have made some interesting contribution to the shuttle, and the loss of it would be heavily felt there.
The center had very diverse programs - aircraft laboratories, the Pioneer planetary probes, and a thing called PAET - Planetary Atmosphere Experiments Test, a capsule to be boosted by a Scout rocket on a dress rehearsal of future planetary entry probes. That was damn expensive for a single test, so Hans Mark searched for spinoffs.
Ames Pioneer once competed with JPL Mariners, but the two were expensive, so the Pioneer program was being cut instead into a low-cost probe to complement JPL expensive space Cadillacs.

In 1968, the Academies had recommended that NASA initiate now a program of Pioneer/Interplanetary Monitoring Platform-class spinning spacecraft for orbiting Venus and Mars at each opportunity, and for exploratory missions to other targets.

Which meant that Ames Pioneer no longer competed with JPL Mariner but with Goddard Explorers satellites that went farther and farther (the Interplanetary Monitoring Platforms), some of them as far as lunar orbit. Which in turn made Goddard a new competitor in the planetary race !
So the low-cost probe competition would boil down to Goddard IMP versus Ames Pioneer. A universal planetary bus, following a Delta launch, could deploy a variety of scientific payloads, including atmospheric probes, landers, or orbiters.
Low felt Hans Mark did not fully supported the Pioneer program. Perhaps von Braun had convinced him robots were crap and only men could do a proper job. If this is really the case, Low thought, I ought better shut down Pioneer and give the low-cost planetary probe to Goddard. But then I'll have to found a new spinoff to that PAET.

Perhaps the space station crew could drop experiments down to Earth aboard diminutive PAET capsules - lots of them. Kind of space courrier. That would please Mark anyway, since the job would imply astronauts.

Mark had in fact send Low a memo where he made clear he wanted to shut down the Pioneer probe program.

He gave three reasons for that.

The memo first went on to say “in the last decade, the United States has spent on the average a half a billion dollars on space science. I personally find it difficult to believe that we have a cultural or intellectual justification for continuing our space science effort at the same level for the indefinite future. The results of space science to date have not been of major significance.”

The second reason followed “I see space exploration as a luxury that may soon be canceled due to the though times we currently live in. So I think my center should embrace military missions. Defence isn't a luxury.”

The last reason was obviously Von Braun himself, a man that greatly impressed Mark. Von Braun liked men in space, something the Pioneer robots were definitively not.

Well, ok, Hans, if you think shutting down the Pioneer is fine, let's do it. But that may give JPL a complete monopoly over robotic planetary exploration...

Last edited:
Am I correct in recalling that the proposed Titan LV being pitched for NASA use is NOT the "standard" Titan upgrades but the four-engine "enhanced" Titan concept?

If so OMB absolutely HATED that idea from the start as no matter how the AF "massaged" the number the plain fact was it shared almost NO commonality with the actual production Titan and therefore wasn't in any sense "cost-effective" as compared to... Well anything really, even the Shuttle came out on top in the analysis.

The other major factor against Titan as a manned LV was that it was ONLY used for Gemini because it was fast and available. NASA was aware how toxic it was sitting on the pad and never considered it again for manned operations for that reason. OMB and any budget considerations aside NASA will stand (and be absolutely correct for doing so) on that point no matter what.

Point of fact is that in this scenario NASA doesn't need the Air Forces support and it would in fact be detrimental considering the AF WILL push for a Titan variant in order to force "cost-sharing" with the NASA budget. It would make much more sense for NASA to push for re-opening Saturn-1B production in this case if they can't get the Shuttle.

(While I really doubt anyone at this point is even going to recall the fact let alone bring it up publicly NASA actually has a good number of "points" built up with arguments FOR the Shuttle which would apply to the Saturn-1B as the vehicle WAS originally designed with the possibility of recovery in mind and in fact there was documented testing of recovery and refurbishment of the H1 engines themselves before the Lunar program took over.)

Randy

RanulfC, it was several raison that NASA not wanted to use Titan II anymore.
the Toxic Bandwagon was not much of issue on that, see what for fuel was in Apollo CSM...

it was USAF property and launch from Cape Canaveral AFB, not NASA launch complex north of that AFB
USAF "handling" the Man-rating of the Titan II for Gemini flight.
the Titan Gemini flight had several POGO problems.
several Safety issues like electrical plug that dropped out what let to launch abort of Gemini 6A

Main Reason for NASA to drop the Titan II as Launch vehicle
The Gemini Program was over and heavier Apollo CSM needed the NASA Saturn Family to be launch.
That's main reason why Gemini ended up at USAF als Manned Orbit Laboratory (MOL)
Yes USAF look into use of Apollo Hardware for MOL in 1965
but NASA had priority for Moon race and Apollo CSM was not tested yet
while Gemini program was terminated, but Hardware was still there and Flight proven
and it was already adapted for USAF Titan Launcher

Of curse USAF learned the Lesson on Titan Gemini LV and worked hard on Titan IIIM
until the MOL program was canceled do budget reason in 1969

now with Big capsule as winner, the Titan IIIM is back in the Race.

Archibald

Banned
Am I correct in recalling that the proposed Titan LV being pitched for NASA use is NOT the "standard" Titan upgrades but the four-engine "enhanced" Titan concept?

If so OMB absolutely HATED that idea from the start as no matter how the AF "massaged" the number the plain fact was it shared almost NO commonality with the actual production Titan and therefore wasn't in any sense "cost-effective" as compared to... Well anything really, even the Shuttle came out on top in the analysis.

The other major factor against Titan as a manned LV was that it was ONLY used for Gemini because it was fast and available. NASA was aware how toxic it was sitting on the pad and never considered it again for manned operations for that reason. OMB and any budget considerations aside NASA will stand (and be absolutely correct for doing so) on that point no matter what.

Point of fact is that in this scenario NASA doesn't need the Air Forces support and it would in fact be detrimental considering the AF WILL push for a Titan variant in order to force "cost-sharing" with the NASA budget. It would make much more sense for NASA to push for re-opening Saturn-1B production in this case if they can't get the Shuttle.

(While I really doubt anyone at this point is even going to recall the fact let alone bring it up publicly NASA actually has a good number of "points" built up with arguments FOR the Shuttle which would apply to the Saturn-1B as the vehicle WAS originally designed with the possibility of recovery in mind and in fact there was documented testing of recovery and refurbishment of the H1 engines themselves before the Lunar program took over.)

Randy

This certainly makes some sense, but unfortunately the OMB doesn't care. Their reasonning is that NASA will use the Titan III because it is available (off-the-shelf), period.
Such thing already happened to Voyager - Viking back in 1969 - the Saturn Centaur lost out to the Titan IIIE.

Last edited:
1972: NASA hell of a year (3)

Archibald

Banned
tying up the loose ends - Mathematica, Heiss, and Morgenstern

January 28, 1972
Princeton
Klaus Heiss looked exhausted.
Damn, how many times since the man did not slept ?

Oskar Morgenstern worried about the young Austrian economist.
Heiss was evidently on the brink of collapse. He had spent every drop of energy defending his economic case for the shuttle – to no avail.

The full report was to be issued this very day of January, but it was dead on arrival, just like the shuttle it defended.
"I face a brick wall." Heiss complained. "Fletcher is out, and George Low is not the right man – guess why he refused the job ? He is not a political wizard like James Webb. And now fucking Walter Mondale is campaigning again, with its usual load of angered space scientists – frustrated astronaut Brian O'Leary, frustrated Apollo scientist Tommy Gold, and of course the grant old James van Allen. Damn them all ! That, and you have to figure than even within our ranks there are vibrant critics. Do you remember that bright engineer we hired for the technical side of our study, since you and I are economists, not rocket scientists ?"
"Hell, yes. James Preston Layton."
"Yeah, Pres Layton. Well, can you believe it ? He picked up some holes in my analysis !"
"What kind of critics ?"
"He told me I was naive, that although my calculation were by themselves right, the raw data I worked from was wrong.

Listen: when NASA Bob Lindley committed ourselves - Mathematica - to an analysis of the shuttle economics, I told him I needed data.

So Lindley turned to the Aerospace Corp., which had strong ties to the Air Force and was widely known as a center of expertise.

Lockheed, builder of the Corona spacecraft, took charge of work on payload effects. My analysis is based from these companies data. Well, Layton told me that data I used was incorrect at best.
Takes Lockheed, for example: they told me rides on shuttles would be so much smoother than expendables that satellites may be build from very ordinary components - not space-hardened.

Preston Layton told me this was foolish. Similarly, Pres had its own inquiry with Comsat and civilian satellite builders, and according to him they are not very interested in retrieve and repair of their birds. So I went to my NASA supervisor Robert Lindley, told him about Layton worries, and he just laughed in my face.

So what should I do ?"
"Well,Klaus, we are working for NASA and not for Layton. No ?"
"My point exactly. But Layton took it pretty bad – our friendship stopped right there."

Heiss had regrets in his voice. What a mess.

"And then come the AIAA – the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. With the SST and the shuttle dead, and Lockheed on the brink of bankruptcy, they decided to be more active, and to conduct technical assessments of big projects.

Guess what they chose to assess first ?"
"Let me try. The space shuttle ?"
"Correct. And, as you probably understood, they picked up our very Pres Layton to conduct that assessment. He is a prominent member of the AIAA, you see.
"But the shuttle is on hold for three months now. Will the AIAA really beat that dead horse ?"
"Hell, no. They have apparently given up."
"So, what's the problem with Pres ?"
"Oh, in the process he enlisted Jerry Grey, and together they picked up some disgruntled anti shuttle people that feel free to talk now that is had been cancelled. Last week NASA put juicy Phase C contracts – when you actually start to cut metal – on hold indefinitely.

Meanwhile while doing preliminary work on that doomed AIAA assessment Grey find NASA own Pres Layton - the whistleblower no one listen.

Adelbert Tischler – that's the man. Together they dropped the technical assessment in favour of a popularly-written book to be published as soon as possible. Their enterprise is made easier by the shuttle cancellation, since aerospace workers no longer fear to damage a now cancelled program.
I can tell you that this Grey - Tischler - Pres Layton trio might be devastating especially if it intersect with Mondale own anti shuttle campaign. And all those bastards are throwing shit at my shuttle analysis !" Heiss shouted, his face twisted in disgust.
Morgenstern spoke quietly.
"Klaus, you're the brightest economist I've seen for a long time. I won't betray you. Yes, the shuttle is lost. But you still have to defend yourself and all the work you've done.
The reality is that NASA is a pain in the ass to deal with. Plus, who can really prove your analysis wrong ? For God sake, you were the first to tackle an awfully difficult economic case - trying to determine the break haven point between expendables and reusable space launch vehicles. Noone did this before you !"
Heiss looked at his boss, his morale evidently higher.
"Indeed. Damn the shuttle, and damn NASA; it doesn't matter. The truth is, the core of this analysis show that the RLV thin line is around forty flights or payloads a year.

Below, you need expendables; above, reusable launch vehicles works better.
Until my last breath I'll never change a line of the analysis there, on your desk." Heiss thumped on the pile of volumes with his fist.

"Whatever amount of shit they throw at me, I have the conviction that the work was done correctly. It was NASA that didn't knew what they wanted."
"And don't forget they loathed us from day one" Morgenstern tone was glacial. "It was Weinberger bureau of budget that committed NASA to ourselves. Don't you remember ? before October 1971 they didn't cared about our work, obsessed as they were by their Shuttle – Saturn hybrid.
"And then, suddenly, when Weinberger chose Big Gemini, they panicked, and hurried toward our shuttle – the cheapest full-size orbiter in town" Heiss answered. "What a bunch of assholes. It's kind of funny they ended trapped with what they loathed so much – another dumb capsule !"

He laughed, evidently relieved. Morgenstern was also smiling.
"Klaus, still interested by that job at the Morgan Bank ?"
Heiss took a deep breath. Despite all the suffering he had endured doing the damn shuttle study, space was still appealing him. Space, yes, but not NASA. Enough was enough. Geronimo.
"Count me in !" He shaked Morgenstern hand.

51Dv5DBgNyL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Grey - Tischler - Layton OTL (1979) book, Enterprise. Highly recommended.

Insider

Banned
So let me get this straight... for last 5 pages it looked like NASA is running in circles, but not going anywhere. So it is like the crisis that had hit NASA after 1990's had hit it in 70ties... It seems that they are willing to burn money on projects and designes, but never build these machines, don't mention even flying them.