A Soccer TL - Thoughts/Butterflies

I'm thinking about making a TL based on the growth of soccer into a major sport in the U.S., with the POD being that the battles between USSF and the ASL and FIFA between 1924 and 1930 were settled in a way that didn't make people think that soccer was a sport where the rules came from on high by Europeans. I'm trying to think of some things that might turn into major butterflies, to either prevent or run with them, and would like y'all's suggestions before I write.

Possible butterflies:
Would the USSF standing up to FIFA when FIFA was still very young, lead to more countries bucking FIFA, or maybe even FIFA breaking?

Would a more important soccer lead to a more powerful NFL? As both sports could share stadiums without making the ugly cookie cutter bowls of the 60's, soccer owners might also consider getting into the business of football.

Would integration happen before the 1970's, and would America ever be a place where it's black players wanted to play? The Negro leagues were big because no one else wanted to play baseball, but black soccer players could play in a number of places, most notable for the TL in an more progressive Brazil for teams like Vasco da Gama. 50 years of the best black players heading south could lead to it being an unbreakable tradition.

Expansion and Relegation: Even baseball was only had 16-20 teams until the 60's when better air travel led to an explosion of teams. The NASL expansion moved up a few years could take that place, but how would so many teams form a league?

Bumping this because I really like the idea of a TL where soccer becomes a major sport in the USA.

I don't know a whole lot about the period in question, so I can't offer anything more substantive. One guess I will venture is that promotion/relegation is unlikely to take root in a US soccer league. It was never used in any other American league AFAIK, and if the American soccer league works anything like the NFL, the owners would be unlikely to accept it.

I don't know too much about why American footie declined after the 1920s, but I have been thinking of doing a football mini-timeline of my own where the US makes the World Cup Final in 2002 after the referee in the US-Germany quarterfinal gets the infamous Torsten Frings handball decision correct.

I don't know too much about why American footie declined after the 1920s, but I have been thinking of doing a football mini-timeline of my own where the US makes the World Cup Final in 2002 after the referee in the US-Germany quarterfinal gets the infamous Torsten Frings handball decision correct.

That would have been interesting, as Brazil probably would still have been in the match against them. If the US could have pulled off the 1998 Gold Cup magic again (with Friedel instead of Keller), I may have been butterflied away due to recklessly running and screaming like a madman into traffic.

As to the OP's question, if FIFA breaks then possibly the World Cup itself could be butterflied away. Or you'd have competing world championships or just regional competitions.

I posted this scenario once several years ago but I couldn't really come with with a proper POD. I suspect that for football to become as big Stateside as it is in the rest of the world one of the big three - basketball, baseball or (American) football - has to somehow fail to catch on over there.

It appears that one Walter Camp was pivotal to the development of the American version of the game. If he is removed from the timeline then the *NFL will be a very different organization.