A more powerful Curtain Call - The Australasian Federation and World War 2

MV Australasia before conversion to an aircraft carrier

300px-Britannic_%28III%29.jpg

Last edited:
The new year had dawned on 1895, and Sir Henry Parkes was a happy man. The Federation of Australasia, or the Commonwealth of Australasia had been in existence for some six months. It had been a trying time but they had finally achieved their objectives. The first elections were now only six weeks away, as the royal wedding had been only six weeks in the past.

Parkes, however, would not be contesting the elections. Only himself, his wife and his doctor were aware of the cancer inside him. It was time to step down from carrying the burden and let others take up the cudgels.

Most of the changes had been done, some were more evolutionary. Although he did not know it at the time, it would not be until 1.1.1901 when a separate Australasian Navy and Army were formed, not until 1.1.1910 until tariffs were fully abolished, not until 1906 that a separate coin issue was released, not until 1.5.1911 and the introduction of penny postage that a separate stamp issue was issued for Australasia, the famous KKCC(Kangaroo, Kiwi, Crocodile and Coconut) Series of 19 stamps from 1/2d to 5 pounds and indeed not until the death of King George V on 20th January 1936 that Australasia celebrated it's first monarch, Christian 1st.

Last edited:
Given that Australasia apparently has a Queen by WW2, Christian apparently has a short reign. Still, that means that the monarch as of WW2 was born in Australasia.

What this was later to translate to in 1936 was a succession of Victoria being followed by her son Albert Edward(Edward V11) and his son George V.

Edward Verse:11 - my favorite book of the Bible.

I know you are selected 'Christian' was the King's name, but Victor would harken back to Queen Victoria and the state of Victoria. There is already a degree of recognition and connection with Australasia.

Not sure but Christian 1st might be the son of thevPrince. If it is the Prince he would be almost 70. I will wonder if the new Queen will be daughter or granddaughter of the Prince. I also will wonder who will be the Consort and if he will be a Royal or a commoner.

Pangur

Donor
Many thanks for the updates. A few comments & observations

Ernst Heinkel; in this t/l as he an Aussie it would seem likely at least that the Gremans wont have a He-111 or more to the point a He-111 lookalike. If so what replaced it?

In the Aussie of this t/l I would have expected that aircraft development would have had a huge focus on range.

Thinking some more about requirements I would have expected that in 30`s that the need for a long range transport (civil) would have come up which would then open the door to a military version of it and then a bomber and recce/anti submarine version

Surely flying boats would get a look in- after all nature has already built the runway and its a decent length!

Earlier there was mention of ANZAC, I am curious as to how you can have ANZAC in this t/l as New Zealand and Aussie are one nation with the Fuji etc in the mix as well.

Carrying on from that point did Gailippoli happen in this t/l?

Errolwi

Monthly Donor

Earlier there was mention of ANZAC, I am curious as to how you can have ANZAC in this t/l as New Zealand and Aussie are one nation with the Fuji etc in the mix as well.

Good catch, that one slipped by me. We can have fun thinking up suitable short forms (as Australia and Australasia are easily confused)

Aussies - > Fanzies? Drop the New to get ZAFs?
Just could get a bad as the Irish not liking being called Brits!

Many thanks for the updates. A few comments & observations

Ernst Heinkel; in this t/l as he an Aussie it would seem likely at least that the Gremans wont have a He-111 or more to the point a He-111 lookalike. If so what replaced it?

In the Aussie of this t/l I would have expected that aircraft development would have had a huge focus on range.

May actually help the Germans by allowing them to focus more on the Ju 88. Of course you may see more Do 17's, which were a worse design so swings and roundabouts.

Thinking some more about requirements I would have expected that in 30`s that the need for a long range transport (civil) would have come up which would then open the door to a military version of it and then a bomber and recce/anti submarine version

Yes bombers and so on for transport have been the focus. The Anson has been their major aircraft

Surely flying boats would get a look in- after all nature has already built the runway and its a decent length!

There are currently 4 flying boat squadrons but one was acaught in England in Sep 1939 and had not returned home.

You can't have ANZAC, at least not under that name. may have to alter the name of one of the DD's....However, Gailippoli is still likely.

Carrying on from that point did Gailippoli happen in this t/l?
No reason to suggest it will be that different to OTL in this timeline.

Thanks for the feedback-keep it coming

Pangur

Donor
Good catch, that one slipped by me. We can have fun thinking up suitable short forms (as Australia and Australasia are easily confused)

Aussies - > Fanzies? Drop the New to get ZAFs?
Just could get a bad as the Irish not liking being called Brits!

Quite! May be best to keep it simple and go for AAC (Australasia Army Corp) or the AEF, (Australasia Exhibitionary Force)

Re MV Australasia, I guess it will end up in service as the Australasia however the Taipan would be sweet name :D

Thanks for all the line drawings, pictures of the Federations ships, and updates. A possible colloquism for the nes nations troops could be simple Feddies, Azies, or something different. Regardless of the title, I am sure it will have its supporters as well as something that others will label them that will be hated.

Quite! May be best to keep it simple and go for AAC (Australasia Army Corp) or the AEF, (Australasia Exhibitionary Force)

Re MV Australasia, I guess it will end up in service as the Australasia however the Taipan would be sweet name :D

That actually was the name of one of the Special Ops junks used by Z Force.