A Italian candidate for HRE crown

why was there no serious attempt to create an Italian pretender to the imperial crown during the Middle Ages ?

in particular between Arduino d'Ivrea and Frederick II of Swabia ( who is rightly considered a local emperor in Italy )

then we all know that HRE was something very complex in its juridical-institutional functioning, without wanting to get too entangled in the questions of how it came to this ( starting from the Carolingian empire, its weakening and subsequent dynastic collapse, division into three parts, royal elections of new dynasties in said kingdoms, the Imperial title closely linked to the control of the kingdom of Italy and the defense of the papacy, finally passing to the Ottonians who obtain the title by marriage and conquest ) after all this very brief summary, I want to finally get to the my question : why there was no representative of the Italian kingdom to compete for the imperial crown during the first centuries ( ie when the elective process was not yet so consolidated and codified as instead after the XIII / XIV century )

I know why no one thinks of introducing an Italian representative in the golden bull ( because at the time it had become the practice for the future aspiring emperor to be chosen from among the German nobility ) but in the first centuries it was not so solid as a procedure, given that it was necessary to be recognized and crowned king of Italy ( it was not always enough ) to then be consecrated by the pope as Caesars

was it perhaps the fault of the papacy ? or there weren't serious princes capable of such madness and with a strong area of power behind them to make their ambitions more reliable ( such as the usual Canossas for example )

just as he did not consider the emperors purely prior to Otto I's first campaign ( therefore no Berengar II and co )

@John Fredrick Parker @pls don't ban me ( I think this discussion might interest you )

Last edited:
why was there no serious attempt to create an Italian pretender to the imperial crown during the Middle Ages ?

I know why no one thinks of introducing an Italian representative in the golden bull ( because at the time it had become the practice for the future aspiring emperor to be chosen from among the German nobility ) but in the first centuries it was not so solid as a procedure, given that it was necessary to be recognized and crowned king of Italy ( it was not always enough ) to then be consecrated by the pope as Caesars

was it perhaps the fault of the papacy ? or there weren't serious princes capable of such madness and with a strong area of power behind them to make their ambitions more reliable ( such as the usual Canossas for example )

Most likely the second - after the 10th century, most landed magnates that Italy had weren't significant enough to pose a real claim to the crown, and the power vacuum produced by that was eventually filled by the communes, the bishops and the papacy. The Canossas might have had a chance of pulling that if the line had lasted longer, but that didn't happen, and by the time you have princes with large territories reappearing in the Italian scene, it was too late to think of Imperial claims.

Most likely the second - after the 10th century, most landed magnates that Italy had weren't significant enough to pose a real claim to the crown, and the power vacuum produced by that was eventually filled by the communes, the bishops and the papacy. The Canossas might have had a chance of pulling that if the line had lasted longer, but that didn't happen, and by the time you have princes with large territories reappearing in the Italian scene, it was too late to think of Imperial claims.

actually you are right, already during the first years of the Salians dynasty, the development of the concept of commune took place in Italy which will later see its complete maturation in the XII century and then evolve into the city states / lordships that we all know

as regards the Canossas it would have been useful if Matilda's father was not killed by an angry vassal of hers with an arrow or if she had a son with her first husband Godfrey the hunchback ( certainly it would have been a legacy of the Lorraine dynasty rather than a true continuation of the Canossas, but could have created a serious contender in the future for the imperial title or role of prince-elector )

Last edited:
I think the reason essentially is, 'it wasn't to anybody's advantage'.
While an unified Imperial conduction helped the German Kingdom prosper against the eventual threats coming from Poland and Hungary, Italy was under a lower level of stress where people very much liked the Emperor to be far away, not actively breathing down their necks; and most especially not trying to take young, able-bodied men away and into a far-away land where they'd have to forge many new political connections in order to perhaps achieve a temporary grasp of something that was bigger and more populated in absolute numbers, and thus pretty hard to keep.
Much, much better to accept nominal Imperial suzerainty and do their best to rebuff Imperial requests whenever they didn't feel like going through with those.

Was the House of Savoy powerful/influential enough to get the crown at some point?

I'm assuming they are your best bet.

the Savoys became truly relevant / important players in the Italian political landscape only after around 1250 ( before they were partially overshadowed by the marquises of Monferrato, and they were satisfied with a more secluded or secondary role, also given their interest in French affairs which did not allow them to concentrate exclusively on Italian affairs ) and they also obtained the ducal title only in 1418 ( although they already had the right to vote in Reichstag prior to this period, even if the first important signs of this were already seen before the government of Amedeo VIII )

Last edited:
Was the House of Savoy powerful/influential enough to get the crown at some point?

I'm assuming they are your best bet.

Of course, it depends on whether you'd consider them Italian to begin with. Remember that until 1562, their capital was in Chambéry, and before the 15th century, they were just as involved (if not even more so) in the French scene than in the Italian scene.

Of course, it depends on whether you'd consider them Italian to begin with. Remember that until 1562, their capital was in Chambéry, and before the 15th century, they were just as involved (if not even more so) in the French scene than in the Italian scene.

centered point, I would like to add that it would be more correct to consider them
part of the decayed kingdom of Arles / Burgundy ( not to be confused with the duchy ) with interests in both kingdoms ( France and the empire ) it was only after 1650 that they decided to concentrate mainly in Italy

The Papacy certainly had no interest in an Italian candidate holding the imperial crown. It was better for the emperor to be far away beyond the alps, and certainly the Hohenstaufens coming to hold the imperial crown on top of the crown of Sicily caused great anxiety amongst the Papacy. Initially, the Hohenstaufens were allowed to inherit Sicily on the condition that no one who held the crown of Sicily should become Emperor, but we see how that unfolded.

Funnily enough, this proscription against the union between Sicily and the Empire was later used against Charles V. Both Francis and Pope Leo X attempted to claim that Charles V could not become Emperor because he held the crown of Naples, which remained a papal fief in the loosest terms.

Also dynastically speaking- from the very beginning there was strong preference for male line primogeniture, and if not a direct descendant of the last emperor, you’d at least want someone whos a close relation- Italian lords simply weren’t as connected to the imperial dynasties.

in particular between Arduino d'Ivrea and Frederick II of Swabia ( who is rightly considered a local emperor in Italy )

then we all know that HRE was something very complex in its juridical-institutional functioning, without wanting to get too entangled in the questions of how it came to this ( starting from the Carolingian empire, its weakening and subsequent dynastic collapse, division into three parts, royal elections of new dynasties in said kingdoms, the Imperial title closely linked to the control of the kingdom of Italy and the defense of the papacy, finally passing to the Ottonians who obtain the title by marriage and conquest ) after all this very brief summary, I want to finally get to the my question : why there was no representative of the Italian kingdom to compete for the imperial crown during the first centuries ( ie when the elective process was not yet so consolidated and codified as instead after the XIII / XIV century )

just as he did not consider the emperors purely prior to Otto I's first campaign ( therefore no Berengar II and co )

I have decided to try to revive this discussion, in particular in light of the new knowledge I have gained on the subject in recent months, in particular I believe that instead of looking for an Italian candidate for the imperial crown, I should opt for a candidate for the role of prince elector of the HRE, let me explain better, from the 13th to the 15th century, well-defined political ideologies were born in the peninsula among the local political and cultural elite, which subsequently became clear aspirations of the main noble families, these
aspirations had as their objective the obtaining of direct integration into imperial affairs, but without having to continuously require the presence of the sovereign on site, to put an end to the war between Guelphs and Ghibellines, which is why the proposal for a Golden Bull ( which circulated for a long time before Charles IV, it was already being discussed under Henry VII and Ludwig IV ) which also included the peninsula was highly anticipated and encouraged, because it was seen as a way to be able to have a say on imperial questions, make use of the institutions and laws connected to it, but without these being imposed by force, in practice they argued that for the good of the imperial institutions it was necessary
that a local potentate could have his say, directly in the imperial elections, representing the kingdom of Italy, since for the official confirmation ( in their minds ) of a candidate for the imperial throne, Rome's consent had to be sought whether it validated it or not the entire process ( understood in its Ghibelline acceptance, i.e. gaining the consent of the people of the Urbe, on the Palatine Hill as an alternative to standard papal confirmation ( 1 ) in simple terms they wondered whether HRE was actually composed of the kingdom of Germany ( from which the ruling dynasty usually came ), the Church ( with the pope as the last step ) and Burgundy and Italy ( because the latter could not have a voice have any say in who will be the next Caesar ? ) in the political thought of the time it was a good way to allow us to have a representative who exercised the Emperor's power by proxy but who was also capable of orienting himself in Italian politics without depending on the support of German resources, but who also allowed him to have his say on the choice of the future sovereign,
therefore only required a more equal distribution of the Electors ( to be precise, their goal was to obtain an expansion of the roster, and we know that Ludwig was actually playing with this idea ) , furthermore this was also seen as a competition to legitimize one's government in the eyes of imperial laws, for example in the case of Milan it served to further consolidate the Visconti dynasty and to protect its conquests, so as to be able to resist the revanchist ambitions of its neighbors, because believed that the simple title of imperial vicar was a mere sop ( since during the 14th/15th century it changed hands several times ), the same thing can be said for the Verona of the Scaligeri family, or for the projects of Giovanni di Vico ( Ghibellines very rooted in the papal territories ), that is, the small cities between Venice, Milan and Florence that do not want to be incorporated by the latter

in fact Charles IV was considered an incompetent Emperor and not capable of daring for the good of the State ( something Cola di Rienzo also accused him of ) especially in a very delicate moment where his influence could be decisive, being technically king of Italy, given that the person who was usually responsible for monitoring the balance of power in the region was, due to circumstances, absent or unable to act ( the Pope ) in particular because his government was obviously compared to that of his predecessors ( in particular Henry VII and Ludwig IV ) who, in addition to having had a long stay both in Italy and in Rome itself ( 2 ), were considered skilled guardians of the Italian public good

1 ) see Ludwig IV, Robert of Naples and Henry VII who were all "acclaimed by the Roman people" on the Palatine, first of all they were proclaimed Patricians/Senators of the Urbe, with the people then subsequently requesting the start of a procession towards the first useful church of the city ( usually one of the 3 major churches free from Guelph control ) and finally, after the coronation, the procession arrived at the Palatine to officially open and preside over the imperial court, where the Emperors held their court for months in which they were in the city, but it must be kept in mind that this process of acclamation by popular consensus was only possible because Rome was not under papal control, but almost in limbo between a civil war between the Guelph and Ghibelline factions, and at the same time was crossed by important municipal experiences in imitation of other Italian cities ( the so-called third Roman republic, after that of the 12th century ) furthermore it was necessary to find an alternative to the normal custom of the papal coronation in Lateran/St. Peter ( in this period was under the control of the Guelphs ), so it was congenial for the Emperors to find a way to get around the problem of the lack of papal approval for their elevation to the title of Caesar, therefore largely referring to ancient customs or to one of the methods for recognizing a pontiff ( after all, until not even 80 years earlier the Pope could be elected by acclamation/popular vote ) complete with the official minting of coins depicting the popular acclamation of the new Caesar, and subsequent procession along the most important monuments of the city along the lines of a classical triumph, which culminated with the imperial coronation in San Giovanni in Laterano, and the creation of new Roman patricians and senators

2 ) if we compare the period spent as Emperor by Charles in Italy with that of his predecessors we see that it is decidedly shorter, take for example Louis IV who remained in Italy for more than 3 years, Charles barely exceeded 5 months ( considering that he certainly did 2 trips to the peninsula ), another example is their period spent in Rome, the first more than 7 months, the second only a week

@DrakeRlugia @hirsch91
@Averious

Last edited:
The main problem i see with an Italian elector is that none of the Italian principalities were really strong enough for the role: Milan kept trying but all the surrounding powers also kept ganging up on them and pulling them done; Venice is not part of the HRE and doesnt want to be, still has the kinda sorta membership in the ERE so out of jurisdiction; the Papal States/the Pope has his own role in the process and doesnt seem likely to accept a lesser one in its place or in addition too; Naples is outside the HRE; Ferrara, Mantua, Florence, and Siena are all too small to hold down the role of imperial vicar let alone elector; Savoy is part of Arles so not in the running, Genoa might be strong enough, but its a republic(ish) so probably not welcome.

Naples would be interesting- as Duke of Spoleto and ruler of Provence, the king of Naples does hold important territory within the empire- an electorate of Spoleto might be a good way to tie Naples and especially Provence closer together to the empire, and perhaps might eventually fácilitate a reconquest of the dauphine.

Apart from spoleto, Milan is your best bet. Could the emperors embark on a war of aggression meant to deprive Venice of much of its terra firma to make mantua a more self sustaining electorate? I do agree though, unless Venice is really beaten so that it can’t see itself as running an independent foreign policy, it won’t accept membership in the kingdom of Italy.

The main problem i see with an Italian elector is that none of the Italian principalities were really strong enough for the role: Milan kept trying but all the surrounding powers also kept ganging up on them and pulling them done; Venice is not part of the HRE and doesnt want to be, still has the kinda sorta membership in the ERE so out of jurisdiction; the Papal States/the Pope has his own role in the process and doesnt seem likely to accept a lesser one in its place or in addition too; Naples is outside the HRE; Ferrara, Mantua, Florence, and Siena are all too small to hold down the role of imperial vicar let alone elector; Savoy is part of Arles so not in the running, Genoa might be strong enough, but its a republic(ish) so probably not welcome.

we must look at the question of an Italian electorate in the period in which it was thought of for the first time and also forcefully requested, to be precise in the midst of the Avignon captivity, that is, when the power that notoriously acted as arbiter in Italy is missing, it is therefore this power vacuum is exploited by all the political actors of the peninsula to try to obtain substantial gains, it is in this climate of uncertainty that the Italian elite requests a greater presence of imperial authority ( even in an indirect form ) also to being elector princes does not seem to me to be necessary to be the strongest princes ( see the electorates of Trier, Mainz, Cologne and the Palatinate ) but rather the most prestigious and useful ones for the emperor, therefore a Visconti Milan or a Scaliger Verona ( widely considered by Ludwig IV as possible main candidates for the role, is largely booming at the time ) would be perfectly capable of meeting all the requirements, because they find themselves in an important strategic position, control considerable territories and are loyalists of the Ghibelline faction, unlike a Guelph Florence or the "minor" Italian potentates ( such as the Monferrato, the Estensi lands, Siena, Aquileia etc )

Naples would be interesting- as Duke of Spoleto and ruler of Provence, the king of Naples does hold important territory within the empire- an electorate of Spoleto might be a good way to tie Naples and especially Provence closer together to the empire, and perhaps might eventually fácilitate a reconquest of the dauphine.

Apart from spoleto, Milan is your best bet. Could the emperors embark on a war of aggression meant to deprive Venice of much of its terra firma to make mantua a more self sustaining electorate? I do agree though, unless Venice is really beaten so that it can’t see itself as running an independent foreign policy, it won’t accept membership in the kingdom of Italy.

certainly the King of Naples as Elector ( as Duke of Spoleto ) would be really intriguing, but I don't think the papacy would be very okay with that, but maybe we can find a solution to this problem, using Provence which legally was part of the kingdom of Arles, elevating it to an electorate, therefore an Emperor who deems it important enough to obtain the support of Naples can use this trick to gain the favor of the Angevins and at the same time have a representative of the third constituent kingdom of the HRE among the most important imperial princes

certainly the King of Naples as Elector ( as Duke of Spoleto ) would be really intriguing, but I don't think the papacy would be very okay with that, but maybe we can find a solution to this problem, using Provence which legally was part of the kingdom of Arles, elevating it to an electorate, therefore an Emperor who deems it important enough to obtain the support of Naples can use this trick to gain the favor of the Angevins and at the same time have a representative of the third constituent kingdom of the HRE among the most important imperial princes
The Habsburgs were planning to recreate the Kingdom of Arles via Clementia of Habsburg and Charles Martel of Naples, the claimants of Hungary IOTL.

Also dynastically speaking- from the very beginning there was strong preference for male line primogeniture, and if not a direct descendant of the last emperor, you’d at least want someone whos a close relation- Italian lords simply weren’t as connected to the imperial dynasties.

in this case the only ones who really had these ties were the Canossas, it is enough to remember that Matilde had grown up at the court of Henry III, and was related to his successor ( Henry IV ) or the Este family ( in the case in which Otto IV and the family Welf retain control of the HRE ) obviously I'm not considering a more permanent Staufen house, because then things change drastically ( technically the Aleramici of Monferrato were also related to both the Swabians and the Salians ), unfortunately I don't have any other families with similar relatives coming to me at the moment

Last edited:
I personally favor the Gonzaga lords of Mantua as the Italian Elector, centrally located in the Po valley, Louis the Bavarian already liked Ludovico, naming him vicar and he is still alive at the time of the OTL Golden Bull. He has not got a league formed against him, like the Scaligers, he is traditionally linked with the Visconti, another Ghibelline principality but the Gonzagas are lacking in prestige as they are fairly new on the throne in the 1350s, still capitano delle populo so there is that negative.

If I remember correctly, Trier is the elector of Arles, as chancellor of Gaul/Arles so if Naples/Provence is setup as another elector, then would we need a 2nd Italian one?

I personally favor the Gonzaga lords of Mantua as the Italian Elector, centrally located in the Po valley, Louis the Bavarian already liked Ludovico, naming him vicar and he is still alive at the time of the OTL Golden Bull. He has not got a league formed against him, like the Scaligers, he is traditionally linked with the Visconti, another Ghibelline principality but the Gonzagas are lacking in prestige as they are fairly new on the throne in the 1350s, still capitano delle populo so there is that negative.

If I remember correctly, Trier is the elector of Arles, as chancellor of Gaul/Arles so if Naples/Provence is setup as another elector, then would we need a 2nd Italian one?

after all, although the original nucleus of the electoral college was consolidated in 1230 ( with the Sachsenspiegel, a collection of institutional regulations of Germany ) and then ossified during the great interregnum ( with the official inclusion of Bohemia in 1289 ), there was nothing that established it at the imperial level as a fundamental constituent law of the HRE ( at least until the Otl Golden Bull ) therefore I don't see why a subsequent imperial reform that would to update it couldn't happen ( there were also many within the Reich who requested its modification, including the Emperors themselves after Charles IV, given that it was pointed out that the bull had been deliberately incomplete in some parts ), because the objective of the Italian ruling class was to expand the number of elector princes, by adding a representative for Italy, it's another choice between Arles or other German family ( usually the favored candidate for the role was the Welf ) , in this discussion we are mainly talking about the period preceding it ( pre Otl 1356 ) so there is nothing that prohibits it

Yes Trier was the vicar of Gaul, but royal Burgundy / Arelate was a totally separate entity so there were possibilities to allocate an electorate to them, as regards an electorate to the Gonzaga family, even if it is a curious idea, I see many obstacles in realizing it, given that in this period they would only be lords of the Mantuan countryside ( and this they would only obtain in 1328, therefore during Ludovico 's first stay in Italy ) but they would be totally surrounded by much more threatening potential adversaries, paradoxically it would be more useful for our Caesar to seek an alliance with Robert of Anjou, since he had considerable possessions in northern Italy ( he was the third largest lord of territories in the region behind Milan and Verona )

@Andristan and @Madhukar_Shah I hope I have answered your questions adequately

Last edited:
after all, although the original nucleus of the electoral college was consolidated in 1230 ( with the Sachsenspiegel, a collection of institutional regulations of Germany ) and then ossified during the great interregnum ( with the official inclusion of Bohemia in 1289 ), there was nothing that established it at the imperial level as a fundamental constituent law of the HRE ( at least until the Otl Golden Bull ) therefore I don't see why a subsequent imperial reform that would to update it couldn't happen ( there were also many within the Reich who requested its modification, including the Emperors themselves after Charles IV, given that it was pointed out that the bull had been deliberately incomplete in some parts ), because the objective of the Italian ruling class was to expand the number of elector princes, by adding a representative for Italy, it's another choice between Arles or other German family ( usually the favored candidate for the role was the Welf ) , in this discussion we are mainly talking about the period preceding it ( pre Otl 1356 ) so there is nothing that prohibits it

Yes Trier was the vicar of Gaul, but royal Burgundy / Arelate was a totally separate entity so there were possibilities to allocate an electorate to them, as regards an electorate to the Gonzaga family, even if it is a curious idea, I see many obstacles in realizing it, given that in this period they would only be lords of the Mantuan countryside ( and this they would only obtain in 1328, therefore during Ludovico 's first stay in Italy ) but they would be totally surrounded by much more threatening potential adversaries, paradoxically it would be more useful for our Caesar to seek an alliance with Robert of Anjou, since he had considerable possessions in northern Italy ( he was the third largest lord of territories in the region behind Milan and Verona )

@Andristan and @Madhukar_Shah I hope I have answered your questions adequately

now technically in a scenario in which Ludwig IV or even Henry VII decided to make the official prince elector members, we know a good part of them ( if it were under Henry VII they would be quite similar to Otl, except for some last minute surprises ) but I don't think that Ludwig would have granted the electoral title to the Palatinate, but rather would have assigned it to Bavaria or ( and here I am risking a lot ) to his dynastic possessions in Flanders ( it could happen that it was even both, since he played with the idea of more than 7 electorates, considering he wanted to add at least 2 more respect Otl, although I am not sure that the rest of the imperial princes would be happy with this ) so there remains the slot for Italy ( which I believe to be a deal purely between Milan and Verona, with Monferrato and Savoy to follow ) while for the last possible electorate, the competition would be very open ( if Ludwig cannot put his Dutch estates, he will probably aim to promote a central German dynasty that can play against Bohemia, always remembering the Jolly of Provence to make an ally of the Angevins in Naples ) what do you think of this ?

Guys, I would be curious to hear your opinion on the matter if possible : @Kellan Sullivan @Valena @isabella @Vitruvius @Janprimus

Last edited: