A Continent Asunder, an alternate World War 1

sharlin

Banned
Sorry about the mix up, I tend to think of the Gangut's as battlecruisers, they were called Baltic Battlecruisers in some circles at the time, armour similar in thickness to a Lion/Tiger class BC (9 inch belt etc) just much more extensive light armour elsewhere and a fairly high speed (24 knots) which is a knot slower than the first RN's Battlecruisers. Sorry for the confusion :)

Re the Russian armoured Cruiser formation, they'd probably take the 3 surviving Bayans and the Rurik as their flagship. That last ship bares some special attention she was roughly equivalent to the Germans Blucher, more a battlecruiser than armoured cruiser in terms of scale, armament and protection. Save the Blucher she was probably the finest example of her kind ever made and also one of the last, she's well armed, 4 x 10 inch guns and 4 x 8 inch guns on a broadside. The Germans were always wary of that ship in the OTL WW1. She's faster than any of the AC's the Germans have in the region unless they pull the Scharnhorst and Gnisenau in but they are half a world away and the Blucher's with the 1st Scouting Group.

The Bayans are old but rugged designs (supprising for a French designed ship of that period) and roughly similar to the RN's Cressy/Good Hope class in terms of weapon lay out (and number) and protection but they are old and fairly slow at 21 knots, but thats fine as the Rurik could only do 21 knots although she touched 23 on trials when fully loaded, although no one likes forcing tripple expansion engines for long periods of time, very bad things tend to happen to the machinery (but thats only if you force them for a multiple hour time period and then don't give them a thorough check up afterwards.)

Last edited:

sharlin

Banned
Or you could just say they were sped up because its your story.

If they are not available the Russians have 4 pre-dreadnoughts available, two were very good semi-dreadnoughts but the others were...well less than good, especially the Slava. The Borodino class she was the only survivor of (4 sunk by the IJN at Tsushima) are viewed as being the worst ship of their type for the time.

Or you could just say they were sped up because its your story.

If they are not available the Russians have 4 pre-dreadnoughts available, two were very good semi-dreadnoughts but the others were...well less than good, especialyl the Slava. The Borodino class she was the only survivor of (4 sunk by the IJN at Tsushima) are viewed as being the worst ship of their type for the time.

I can see a good way that the POD could have sped things up, (Russia IOTL was planning their baltic navy on facing whats left of the German navy after a decisive battle between the KM and the RN, in this this story with less British diplomatic support Russia isn't confident of British involvement so speeds up the fleet) but I'd have to rewrite some of the earlier stuff to make it more obvious that Britain wouldn't be involved so I won't do that instead rewriting the battle.

The pre dreadnoughts were actually a bit slow for what I was intending but it could work if they weren't in Helsingfurs. There are sensible locations where they could have been on patrol.

I'll have to change the German battlegroup because there is no way Russia would send four predreads against two dreads. Too risky.

I've ideas that I'm plotting out in my head.

Rewrite if you truly wish, but I think it would be ok that the construction of the Ganguts were sped up. Otherwise I would not think the Russians would risk pre-dreds against German battleships.

sharlin

Banned
Rewrite if you truly wish, but I think it would be ok that the construction of the Ganguts were sped up. Otherwise I would not think the Russians would risk pre-dreds against German battleships.

Aye they'd not, just handwave it that the Ganguts are built if you want this to happen its not like its a massive policy change or anything :)