A Blank Map Thread

Hi, wondering if anyone might be able to help me out...

I am using Gimp to make a map at the moment and I have the Paintbrush tool selected. I am trying to do black. But as I fill in borders and make new ones like 3-5 different colors keep appearing... I don't know how to undo whatever it is I did. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Hi, wondering if anyone might be able to help me out...

I am using Gimp to make a map at the moment and I have the Paintbrush tool selected. I am trying to do black. But as I fill in borders and make new ones like 3-5 different colors keep appearing... I don't know how to undo whatever it is I did. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
Do you have anti-aliasing enabled on the bucket fill tool? If it's on, then this kind of thing will happen. When mapmaking you want it to be off.

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 00.07.19.png

Last edited:
Do you have anti-aliasing enabled on the bucket fill tool? If it's on, then this kind of thing will happen. When mapmaking you want it to be off.

View attachment 846537
Hm, I turned that off and it is now doing something else weird. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it seemed to just revert to everything I had before, which is weird. It won't do black on the first brush stroke on the paintbrush but I have to do it like 3 or 4 times before it makes black.... Hmm...

Hm, I turned that off and it is now doing something else weird. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it seemed to just revert to everything I had before, which is weird. It won't do black on the first brush stroke on the paintbrush but I have to do it like 3 or 4 times before it makes black.... Hmm...
Wait, are you using the paintbrush? If you want clean lines you need to use the pencil.

Wait, are you using the paintbrush? If you want clean lines you need to use the pencil.
Sorry, the pencil. When black or another color is selected it basically makes it a darker shade of the background color. So like a pink background and I select black on the pencil it makes it a purple-ish color. On yellow it makes it like a light brown. And I have to go over it multiple times to get it darker, but on some colors it never really gets black black, just like really dark blue.

Sorry, the pencil. When black or another color is selected it basically makes it a darker shade of the background color. So like a pink background and I select black on the pencil it makes it a purple-ish color. On yellow it makes it like a light brown. And I have to go over it multiple times to get it darker, but on some colors it never really gets black black, just like really dark blue.
Is the opacity at 100%?

Morning all!
Is there floating around in this thread a blank map of Egypt, Anatolia, the Levant and Mesopotamia? Preferably with rivers but sans borders if at all possible. I want to see exactly how terrible Amunhotep V's bordergore is ca. 1142 BCE. 🤣

Morning all!
Is there floating around in this thread a blank map of Egypt, Anatolia, the Levant and Mesopotamia? Preferably with rivers but sans borders if at all possible. I want to see exactly how terrible Amunhotep V's bordergore is ca. 1142 BCE. 🤣
Will this do? It's amended from a Wikimedia Commons map, so I don't know what the projection is, sorry.
Outline_map_of_Middle_East_cropped_no_borders_2255x1975.png (click the thumbnail for the full-size image)
Map created by FriendlyGhost using inkscape.
This image is licensed under the CC BY-SA 4.0 licence (see details below). In accordance with the attribution terms of that licence and the licences noted below, you are free to use it, including adaptation, as long as you give attribution (in case of a conflict, the most limiting licence applies). On this site (alternatehistory.com), just @ my username. On other sites, link to my profile page here, where a message would also be nice, so I can see where my images are used.
This image was amended from this publicly available image: Outline map of Middle East by Виктор_В, free for use and adaptation under the CC BY-SA 2.0 licence; borders removed, cropped.
Licence details:
Creative Commons
CC BY-SA 4.0: Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International
CC BY-SA 2.0: Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic
Details of applicability/compatibility of each licence

Will this do? It's amended from a Wikimedia Commons map, so I don't know what the projection is, sorry.
View attachment 847908 (click the thumbnail for the full-size image)
Map created by FriendlyGhost using inkscape.
This image is licensed under the CC BY-SA 4.0 licence (see details below). In accordance with the attribution terms of that licence and the licences noted below, you are free to use it, including adaptation, as long as you give attribution (in case of a conflict, the most limiting licence applies). On this site (alternatehistory.com), just @ my username. On other sites, link to my profile page here, where a message would also be nice, so I can see where my images are used.
This image was amended from this publicly available image: Outline map of Middle East by Виктор_В, free for use and adaptation under the CC BY-SA 2.0 licence; borders removed, cropped.
Licence details:
Creative Commons
CC BY-SA 4.0: Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International
CC BY-SA 2.0: Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic
Details of applicability/compatibility of each licence
Perfect! Thank you so much! 😁

Could someone point me to a good QBam with rivers and at least first-level national divisions? My computer crashed recently and I lost a lot of map files.

Ah, so close, but no cigar. The second one here is nice, but I'd much prefer black and white and one less level of divisions. (S0 much to erase).
How about this then? I took the 1st-level divs and rivers basemaps from post 3647 in the QBAM Improvement Thread and combined them. Credit of course goes to the original mapmakers.

Edit: two files now uploaded on postimage; one with rivers overlaid on 1st-level divisions; the second vice-versa. Click the thumbnails to go to / download the originals.

Last edited:
Ended up doing it myself. I'm not used to making maps, but I'll leave it here in case anyone needs it in the future.
South cone borders and waters.jpg