This is an idea I had today that's really weird, but is honestly stuck in my head. I kinda want to do a TL based on it eventually but worry it'll get in the way of my current project.

The basic idea is a timeline that lacks a specific point of divergence or inciting incident, but rather gradually gets more and more disconnected from the way things happened in our world.

It's going to be heavily 90s-themed, and serves as both a love letter and a scathing critique of the decade before I was born. I also intend it to be a little weird and almost dreamlike, with a lot of things that happened in our timeline just... not happening in this one without explanation, though things just happening that didn't in our timeline are relatively rarer.

Here's a basic outline of what to expect from the TL, in no particular order:
  • 9/11 doesn't happen and the 2000s are basically just a continuation of the 90s because of this.
  • Al Gore is elected president in 2000 instead of Bush.
  • Russia remains a (very dysfunctional and corrupt) democracy. This will be important later. No spoilers.
  • A lot of people in the West in the 1990s and early 2000s believed the economic liberalization of the People's Republic of China would coincide with political liberalization. In this timeline they're somewhat correct, but it is a very long and rocky road to true democracy in China...
  • A lot of music genres that died out in the late 90s or early 00s... don't.
  • The 2008 financial crash happens a few years later than 2008.
  • With America less directly involved in the Middle East, efforts at democratization are somewhat more successful in the 2000s. Whether democracy-minded Middle Easterners are able to build on this success or all their work is undone in the 2010s remains to be seen.
  • In the United States, the Reform Party and the Libertarian Party play a bigger role in politics than OTL
  • I want South Africa to become a major player but I'm not sure how or what role they'll play.
  • Because I'm the girl writing the timeline, expect LGBT rights - especially trans rights - to play a major role in this timeline.
  • Most of these are things that happen in the 2000s because the 2010s are a huge turning point in this timeline. While I feel like in our timeline, every decade after the 90s was things gradually getting worse little step by little step and most of us had at least started to wrap our heads around it by the time the pandemic hit, in this timeline things go from the 1990s' "Things are only looking up and we are living in the end of history" mindset to the OTL!2020s' ethos of "HOLY SHIT EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE WHAT THE FUCK" almost overnight and stay like that for basically the entire decade, whereas maybe this is wishful thinking but I actually feel like things are getting better in our timeline and it's only 2023.
Idk I just figured I'd give y'all a teaser of my next project since you like the current one so much.

Because I'm the girl writing the timeline, expect LGBT rights - especially trans rights - to play a major role in this timeline.
I’m pro-transgender rights and acceptance, because I’m pro-human rights, and I’m all in favor of people being their true selves and being able to live authentic lives in accordance to what feels most right to them.

The anti-trans backlash is bigger than pretty much any anti- backlash I’ve observed in my adult life and I’m 60 years old. And if people knew the youth suicide rate among transgender youth, they’d be ashamed of themselves!

I think there are just too many juicy memes, and middlebrow “disproofs,” and just too much mind candy especially on so-called “conservative” media [which should be about being left alone]. For example, the idea that I could simply want into the HR “Human Resources” Department and just announce that I now self-identify as a woman. Probably wouldn’t work any better than telling the truth! Meaning, if I’m being unfairly blamed by a boss, or scapegoating by co-workers, I’m probably on the way out the door regardless of what I do. Time might heal, but no gambit I play is likely to work.

What people need to understand is that HR exists to protect the company, not you!

I may not be entirely correct about my theory of “middlebrow” and “mind candy,” but I think there’s something like that going on.

Anyway, I compliment you on your timeline, and I love the concept and word “Feverdream” ! ! ! 😀

Last edited:
I’m pro-transgender rights and acceptance, because I’m pro-human rights, and I’m all in favor of people being their true selves and being able to live authentic lives in accordance to what feels most right to them.

The anti-trans backlash is bigger than it should be and bigger than any kind of rational anything. And if people knew the youth suicide rate among transgender youth, they’d be ashamed of themselves!

I think there are too many juicy memes, and middlebrow “disproofs,” and mind candy. For example, the idea that I could simply want into the HR “Human Resources” Department and simply announce that I now self-identify as a woman. Probably wouldn’t work any better than telling the truth! Meaning, if I’m being unfairly blamed by a boss, or scapegoating by co-workers, I’m probably on the way out the door regardless of what I do. Time might heal, but no gambit I play is likely to work.

What people need to understand is that HR exists to protect the company, not you!

I may not be entirely correct about my theory of “middlebrow” and “mind candy,” but I think there’s something like that going on.

Anyway, I compliment you on your timeline, and I love the concept and word “Feverdream” ! ! ! 😀
Why, thank you! 💕🏳️‍⚧️💕🏳️‍⚧️💕🏳️‍⚧️

This is an idea I had today that's really weird, but is honestly stuck in my head. I kinda want to do a TL based on it eventually but worry it'll get in the way of my current project.

The basic idea is a timeline that lacks a specific point of divergence or inciting incident, but rather gradually gets more and more disconnected from the way things happened in our world.

It's going to be heavily 90s-themed, and serves as both a love letter and a scathing critique of the decade before I was born. I also intend it to be a little weird and almost dreamlike, with a lot of things that happened in our timeline just... not happening in this one without explanation, though things just happening that didn't in our timeline are relatively rarer.

Here's a basic outline of what to expect from the TL, in no particular order:
  • 9/11 doesn't happen and the 2000s are basically just a continuation of the 90s because of this.
  • Al Gore is elected president in 2000 instead of Bush.
  • Russia remains a (very dysfunctional and corrupt) democracy. This will be important later. No spoilers.
  • A lot of people in the West in the 1990s and early 2000s believed the economic liberalization of the People's Republic of China would coincide with political liberalization. In this timeline they're somewhat correct, but it is a very long and rocky road to true democracy in China...
  • A lot of music genres that died out in the late 90s or early 00s... don't.
  • The 2008 financial crash happens a few years later than 2008.
  • With America less directly involved in the Middle East, efforts at democratization are somewhat more successful in the 2000s. Whether democracy-minded Middle Easterners are able to build on this success or all their work is undone in the 2010s remains to be seen.
  • In the United States, the Reform Party and the Libertarian Party play a bigger role in politics than OTL
  • I want South Africa to become a major player but I'm not sure how or what role they'll play.
  • Because I'm the girl writing the timeline, expect LGBT rights - especially trans rights - to play a major role in this timeline.
  • Most of these are things that happen in the 2000s because the 2010s are a huge turning point in this timeline. While I feel like in our timeline, every decade after the 90s was things gradually getting worse little step by little step and most of us had at least started to wrap our heads around it by the time the pandemic hit, in this timeline things go from the 1990s' "Things are only looking up and we are living in the end of history" mindset to the OTL!2020s' ethos of "HOLY SHIT EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE WHAT THE FUCK" almost overnight and stay like that for basically the entire decade, whereas maybe this is wishful thinking but I actually feel like things are getting better in our timeline and it's only 2023.
Idk I just figured I'd give y'all a teaser of my next project since you like the current one so much.
What's pop culture like ITTL?

such as more music in the “Seattle grunge” style, perhaps?

Grunge was already fading by the late 90s andbeing replaced by Post-Grunge and Alternative; but I would totally support a timeline where the popular music scene remains awesome in the 00's (maybe I'm just tapping into my college-self, but I started college in 00 and was so excited by what I thought would hapen with music and then .... yeah. Not so good - at least in the option of 19 year old me! LOl :D )

Some of these tropes happened ?

So, can we get a better animation renaissence age?
Stop Eisner at the right time. He both created that age, because of competing with Bluth, how he ran the company and his slights with Katzenburg leading to DreamWorks, and almost killed the company.

His need to compete with everyone and ego lead Disney into markets and mediums it had no right to be in, which hit the company finances very hard (Euro Disney, DisneyQuest, etc). The direct to video sequels with subpar stories and 2000s television level animation were the only thing keeping that company going during their time. And then digital CGI animation took over.

There's a fine line between smart or lucky risk paying off and bad risk and assumptions failing.

Last edited:
Stop Eisner at the right time. He both created that age, because of competing with Bluth, how he ran the company and his slights with Katzenburg leading to DreamWorks, and almost killed the company.

His need to compete with everyone and ego lead Disney into markets and mediums it had no right to be in, which hit the company finances very hard (Euro Disney, DisneyQuest, etc). The direct to video sequels with subpar stories and 2000s television level animation were the only thing keeping that company going during their time. And then digital CGI animation took over.

There's a fine line between smart or lucky risk paying off and bad risk and assumptions failing.
Right.