2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
A look ahead to the 2018 London Mayoral Election.

London Mayoral Race 2018

Current Conservative incumbent Henry Reed isn’t term limited (London Mayor doesn’t have any term limits) but he has ruled out running for a third term. Here are some of the likely contenders for the two main parties.

Conservative

There is no Conservative Deputy-Mayor, as Reed appointed an independent, and one each from Labour and the Liberal Democrats. We believe that they are likely three serious big hitters that could get into the race.

Michael Graty (Maureen Graty’s son) MP for Ilford North and currently Chairman of the 1922 Committee. Graty knows that he is no chance for ever being a Cabinet Minister, but he is very popular with local party associations, and his name alone is a draw. Ben Walker, MP for Uxbridge and currently the Attorney General is also to be under taking soundings over a possible run. Now the other third name is likely to shock some people and that is the Home Secretary Nigel Jay. Jay is regarded is the rising star of the party and clearly has a passion for local Government, having pushed through the County Governor reforms in 2012/2013 as Secretary of State for Local Government, and is a former Hertfordshire County Councillor elected at just the age of 22. He became in November 2013 the youngest Home Secretary since Winston Churchill in 1910 at the age of thirty Five and is still now only thirty eight. We understand though that he doesn’t want to be Prime Minister and is looking very seriously at London Mayor. Although he does represent a seat just outside London in St Albans; he does live inside the current Boundary of Greater London within the Borough of Barnet.

Of course other than Graty, Walker and Jay two or three no-hopers will run for the nomination but it will not likely be serious enough to take on Graty, Walker or Jay.

Labour

After the disaster of 2014 and the awful campaign of Malcolm Sinton, Labour will need some real serious and heavyweight candidates if they are to stand any chance of winning back City Hall for the first time since 2010. The former Chancellor Daniel Lamont could run again, running on the idea that he was right in 2014, and Sinton would lose as he did. The other two names I think could run would be Fred Dawes MP for East Ham a veteran backbencher and maverick, he knows his seat is in play at the next General Election with a majority of 2,322 so he might decide to get out and run for Mayor instead. The other names we believe that are looking at running are Gerry Harrison MP for Tottenham and currently Shadow First Secretary of State and Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office. He probably knows that he is never going to be Labour leader, and could well decide to go for the next best job, London Mayor. He has been a very decent Minister and Shadow Minister, and does have a strong following both within the PLP and outside. Chris Greenaway MP Edmonton, was sacked by Andrea Benn from the Shadow Cabinet back in January is said to be ready to run and like Fred Dawes he will only be defending a small majority at the next General Election just 304. The other contender is Dominic Eames, the former Deputy Leader and MP for Vauxhall, lives in Tulse Hill, he was moved to Party Chairman from the Shadow Chancellor job one in which he was regarded as a failure and his public school background clearly did not help him in running for Labour Leader in 2014, but it could well be a big advantage in winning back those Labour voters that voted for Henry Reed twice in large numbers, they are more likely to be attracted to him then say someone like Lamont or Dawes.

Other than those three expect the usual no-hopers as well, maybe the current Deputy-Mayor under Henry Reed, Geoff Ryan the former Leader of Camden Council, a popular moderate, and probably a local Councillor from a Labour held Council such as Southwark or Hackney.

Last edited:
List of London Mayors
Ben Stanley Labour 1998 to 2006
Sir Gerald Fox Labour 2006 to 2010

Henry Reed Conservative 2010 onwards

*Next Mayoral Election due on Thursday May 3rd 2018.
*Mayors are not term limited but Henry Reed has already indicted that he will not seek a third term.

Last edited:
NBS.COM
Tuesday July 12th 2016

Governor Rudden campaigns with Carluke in Indiana Senate race

Indiana's incumbent Republican Governor Emily Rudden was out campaigning with Senate candidate, State Senator Gibson Carluke. Carluke is locked into a virtual deadheat in an attempt to unseat Democratic incumbent Damon Matteo who is running for a second term. With the Republicans trying to win the Senate back at the first attempt, that fight looks to be settling onto ten key races, Indiana clearly one of them.

Rudden is highly popular in the state, having swept to re-election two years ago and many within the party wanted her to run for the Senate but she declined. Many believe that she does have eyes set on a Presidential run but not until either 2020 or 2024.

"Senator Matteo has done zero for this state in six years, he has done what the special interests that supported him have told him to do" adding "we need to send different kind of man into bat for us in Washington, a man that knows this state inside out, that understands main street, and that man is Gibson Carluke".

The rally held in South Bend attracted a far bigger crowd than expected, with reports putting it at over 8,000.

Last edited:
NBS.COM
Sunday July 17th 2016

Governor Carner campaigns with Senator Conroy in 'next door' state

Montana Governor Kurt Carner campaigned with North Dakota Senator Harry Conroy. Carner is believed to be looking at rising his national profile ahead of a possible 2018 Presidential run.

Carner who has won twice as Governor in a state that is a normally a safe Republican state was lending his support for Conroy in the neighbouring state of North Dakota. Senator Conroy is locked in a desperate battle with North Daokota Lt Governor Matt Chantler.

STAR TRIBUNE.COM
Sunday July 17th, 2016

Addison invited to Florida by Gov. Ritchie.

Luverne: Glenn Addison announced today that after the GOP convention in Rochester he wil be going to Florida to meet with Governor James Ritchie. Addison said he was invited by the Governor to be sized up, as Addison said.

Addison plans to go after the Convention in Rochester. Addison's father, Duanne, stated he is happy his eldest son has a great shot sy being governor and is thrilled that James Ritchies is seeing him as such. He did hope his son bought a map of Tallahassee, as Duanne said, "My son got lost in the Mall of America more time than you can shake at.

BBC.CO.UK/London
Wednesday July 20th 2016

Leaked "Fox commission" report on London Borough's proposes extending Greater London to within the M25 with new Borough's and merges

A leaked draft of the "Fox commission" report on the London Borough's has been published on-line.

The commission which is headed by the former Labour Mayor of London Gerald Fox has made some very radical proposals according to the draft published on-line. For example it suggests that the flagship Conservative Council of Wandsworth should merge with neighbouring Richmond Council to it's west, but lose the area around Clapham Junction and Battersea to a new combined Lambeth & Southwark Council. Because of the merger, some of the existing Southwark Council area would form a new Borough " Camberwell & New Cross" which also take areas currently under Lewisham Council. It suggests that Lewisham & Greenwich should merge as well, with most of the southern area of the current Lewisham Borough given to Bromley Council. Those areas of Lewisham not given to either the new Borough of "Camberwell & New Cross" and "Croydon" would merge with Greenwich, which itself would lose some to areas to a new Borough of "Woolwich & Bexley Heath".

The report also suggests as did the Governments dropped 2014 plan of a new Borough called "Docklands" which would take in much of the Thames side part of Tower Hamlets & Barking & Dagenham.

It is also recommends as expected that all areas that currently within the M25, and also within the Transport for London travel zones should also become London Boroughs, this includes Watford in Hertfordshire, Loughton in Essex, Dartford in Kent & Epsom & Ewell in Surrey (Epsom was almost included in the 1965 Borough's but was taken out by the House of Lords). It does suggest that in these areas, that there should be a public vote to confirm the changes.

Last edited:
NBS.COM
Thursday July 21st 2016

Grissom takes aim at Boone over religion and children

Democratic gubernatorial nominee Michelle Grissom launched a personal attack on her Republican opponent, incumbent Governor Sean Boone at a speech to the Spokane Chamber of Small Business.

In what is expected to be a close election, Grissom is shown by the latest opinion polls to be narrowly behind Boone and she decided to take some personal shots at her opponent. "I am a proud parent, I have four wonderful children, but unlike someone else I could mention, I didn't have them to try and save my political career" which drew some grasps from the non political gathering, and she went further adding "I might be a bit boring or dull compared to Governor Boone, I know I don't fly a plane, or do kick-boxing but I also don't pretend to be the chosen saviour of the state of Washington" and she ended with a further dig at Boone's well known lack of attending church "I am in church every Sunday, I pray to God most days, I wonder what god Governor Boone prays to".

TV.COM
Tuesday July 26th 2016

"1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" attacked for series finale as fans and critics ask has it jumped the shark?

NBS "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" has been a favourite ever since it's launch back in 2007 with its depiction of the White House and Presidential campaigns but fans took to twitter and the web on Monday night as the ninth series came to a climax.

The series which is set in alternate 2016 where the election years didn't get changed and we have seen over the last series the fight for the Republican and Democratic presidential nominations. Last week we saw the Republicans nominate millionaire businessman Ronald Taylor who is running on a anti-immigration platform he clinched the nomination despite have never run for office before. Last night the Democrats finally nominated former Secretary of State and Former First Lady Hannah Dillon, despite her being investigated by the FBI for having a private e-mail server installed when at the State Department. She had narrowly defeated a 72 year Senator from Vermont Daniel Stevens for the nomination.

"I think the show has run it's course now" one viewer posted one-line "it's so over the top, a basically racist republican nominee and for the Democrats, a scandal riddled Former First Lady and Secretary of State, yeah like that would happen in real life". Another said "The show has basically jumped the shark now, it's so over the top and basically your worst nightmare, thank god we live in the real world".

NBS.COM
Tuesday July 26th 2016

Clark steps up election appearances with trips to Iowa and New Hampshire

Vice-President Elizabeth Clark is stepping up her campaign appearances as the mid-terms elections approach in November. Clark who is now almost certain to run for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2018 is certainly raising her profile.

This week she is campaigning with Republicans in New York, New Hampshire, Iowa and Nevada. The visits to New Hampshire and Iowa which are to campaign with Senate candidates, Ellie Wilkins and Bryce Bradley are also laying down a clear marker for 2018 with Iowa and New Hampshire being the first two states in the primary race.

TV.COM
Tuesday July 26th 2016

"1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" attacked for series finale as fans and critics ask has it jumped the shark?

NBS "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" has been a favourite ever since it's launch back in 2007 with its depiction of the White House and Presidential campaigns but fans took to twitter and the web on Monday night as the ninth series came to a climax.

The series which is set in alternate 2016 where the election years didn't get changed and we have seen over the last series the fight for the Republican and Democratic presidential nominations. Last week we saw the Republicans nominate millionaire businessman Ronald Taylor who is running on a anti-immigration platform he clinched the nomination despite have never run for office before. Last night the Democrats finally nominated former Secretary of State and Former First Lady Hannah Dillon, despite her being investigated by the FBI for having a private e-mail server installed when at the State Department. She had narrowly defeated a 72 year Senator from Vermont Daniel Stevens for the nomination.

"I think the show has run it's course now" one viewer posted one-line "it's so over the top, a basically racist republican nominee and for the Democrats, a scandal riddled Former First Lady and Secretary of State, yeah like that would happen in real life". Another said "The show has basically jumped the shark now, it's so over the top and basically your worst nightmare, thank god we live in the real world".

I wonder what other over the top events have happened in the "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" universe? I wonder if there is Mikey Rabbit doing a thread on it? ;) :D

I wonder what other over the top events have happened in the "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" universe? I wonder if there is Mikey Rabbit doing a thread on it? ;) :D
The election of a Afro-American President in 2008, who won re-election in 2012 against a Mormon Republican from Massachusetts.

NBS.COM
Monday August 1st 2016

Former Minnesota Governor Jack tells Senator Roscoe "Re-join the Republicans"

Former two term Republican Governor of Minnesota Michael Jack has meet with Independent Senator John Roscoe and urged him to re-join the Republican party.

Senator Roscoe elected in 2012 declared himself as an "independent" in 2013 after a serious of disagreements with the then Republican leadership. Roscoe has been meting with Senate Minority Leader and the States other Senator Jack Hunter to try and get him to re-join the Republicans.

Jack, a friend of Roscoe and one who supported him for this 2012 run when many in the party wanted Jack to run instead said over the weekend to NBS "I have told Senator Roscoe privately that he should re-join the party, that he believes in the Republican platform of smaller Government, strong national defence and continuing to get the budget deficit down, all things that the Democrats don't believe".

With the fight for the Senate likely to be very close, Senator Roscoe as an independent could be vital to both sides, if as very possible, the Republicans end on 50 seats and the Democrats on 49, if Roscoe decides to caucus with the Democrats it would leave a deadlocked Senate.

nbs.com, Tuesday August 2nd

Baseball Star Admits Political Interest

In a remarkable interview yesterday Mason Keaton, the recently retired Major League Baseball pitcher admitted that his political interest could expand beyond his surprise attempt to become Mayor of Cleveland this November.

Keaton confirmed he would run after disgraced Democrat Mayor Gill Marks resigned after her arrest for accepting illegal gifts and payments from lobbyists. The Cleveland native who ended his career with his hometown Indians two years ago at the age of 42 jumped into the race after Marks’ deputy David Bosch who was also embroiled in corruption charges confirmed he would run.

In the aftermath, a draft Keaton movement developed and his outsider, anti-corruption campaign has really taken off. He has picked up bi-partisan support and Republican candidate Don Banks has hinted strongly that he will drop out and throw his support behind the Baseball star.

Mr. Keaton made his first national appearance with an interview on Taylor Reid Sunday last weekend, surprising many with command of some key issues and also hinting that he felt he may be able to contribute beyond Cleveland in future, should his campaign be successful. As well as criticising Democratic Governor Charlie Tate for refusing to condemn Marks and Bosch he suggested that money in politics was a curse that spread beyond his city and state. “You can see contenders gearing up for 2018, building war chests from special interests – I’m raising my money via small donors only and a few generous friends.”

Last edited:
NBS.COM
Tuesday August 2nd 2016

New Mexico Governor Vansen to endorse Independent Andrew Long for Texas Governor

The nations only Independent Governor New Mexico's Rudi Vansen will today endorse Andrew Long for Texas Governor.

Long who is running a self-funded independent campaign is polling far better than most believed he would, with many polls having him narrowly ahead of the Democratic candidate Lt Governor Ralph Gomez but behind Republican Adam De Haan.

Vansen who was first elected New Mexico Governor as a Republican before becoming a independent after being accused wrongly of being involved in corruption by his many in his own party back in 2010. Vansen has become a strong critic of the "two old parties" attacking a "corrupt cartel" and will say today that "American needs more independent people in front line politics that are not tied to special interests and the old ways of doing things".

townhall.com, Tuesday August 2nd

Elderton Brothers Trip to New Hampshire Sparks 2018 Speculation

A trip but Governor John Elderton and his Senator brother Mark to a fundraiser in New Hampshire last weekend has kick started speculation that one of the brothers is considering throwing their hat into the ring for the Republican Presidential nomination.

Speculation would likely centre on elder brother John who is likely to cost to re-election this November, freeing him to focus on mounting a long shot bid for the White House. The brothers both denied that the trip had any other reason than supporting local GOP candidates but potential Presidential candidates rarely travel to the Granite State without an ulterior motive.

The Republican field is widening as we approach this November’s mid-terms. Florida Governor James Ritchie, whose father was defeated by President Bartlet in 2002 is thought to be the narrow front runner but Vice-President Liz Clark and former White House Chief of Staff Henry Shallick are also laying the ground work to run. Either Elderton would join a host of lesser known second tier candidates such as Minnesota Senator Jack Hunter, Louisiana Senator David Morrison and North Dakota Governor Jamie Muller who are thought to be considering their options.

With President Walken’s continuing to enjoy strong approval numbers and the economy continuing to perform well the candidates are likely to be jostling for the position as his natural successor and the best placed candidate to carry on his agenda.

Former Missouri Governor and Walken’s former Chief of Staff is already staking out his position as the continuity candidate – talking up Q2 GDP growth whilst campaigning for Pennsylvania Governor Morgan Mitchell in Scranton on Saturday.

NBS.COM
Wednesday August 3rd 2016

Norton-Stewart wades into Marks arrest row

Ohio Republican Senate candidate Congresswomen Ruth Norton-Stewart has wadded into the row over the arrest of Democratic Mayor of Cleveland Gill Marks for corruption.

Norton-Stewart is locked into a basically dead-heat race with Democrat candidate former State Senator Justin Willis for the open Ohio seat caused by the Democrat Hayden Straus not seeking a second term.

"Governor Tate has refused to condemn Mayor Marks, and so I ask my opponent to do it. The problem many in the Democratic party are to scared for their own party to say anything, well I am too scared to stand up for the people of this great state, and that's actually what I will do once I am elected to the United States Senate".

nbs.com, Wednesday August 3rd

White House Confirms Journalists Death

The Walken administration has confirmed in the past few moments that the online footage of the murder of two US journalists is authentic and that Islamic Bahji, based in Qumar have claimed credit for the actions.

The journalists, who have as yet not been named, are believed to be Scott Fry and John Clayborn – who were reported missing in the region in June this year. The footage, which is extremely, graphic features a mask man with a Bahji flag in the background calling for the withdrawal of US forces from the region immediately.

White House Press Secretary Kate Moore is expected to field question on the issue at 2pm EST. The Los Angeles Daily News whom the journalist were employed by have thus far been unavailable for comment.

abcnews.com, Wednesday August 3rd

Qumari Prime Minister: “Bahji Threat is Under Control”

Quamari Prime Minister Reza Kassem appeared on state television this afternoon to condemn the murder of two US journalists by the Islamic Bahji group and stressed that his government had the organisation “well under control”.

Kassem expressed his sorrow towards “his American allies” and said that they would ensure those responsible were “brought to justice”. The move is seen as pre-emptive measure against possible US retaliation towards the group – many US analysts have been suggesting for months that the Bahji were growing in strength and were expanding beyond their traditional base in Salalah in the south of the country.

Mr Kassem, the official spokesman for the Qumari royal family took the unusual step of speaking from the Sultan’s palace in Jabal Nafusa, rather than from his traditional residence in nearby Jatara suggesting this was a direct plea from the Sultan.

The Walken administration have been increasingly frustrated since the arrest of Ahmed Bin Talal, that the Bahji have been allowed to regroup and of the royal family's refusal to deal with the situation.

BBC.COM

August 3rd, 2016

BREAKING NEWS!

China to release ten of the PETA Prisoners.

Beijing: Just announced moments ago by the Chinese Premier, ten of the sixteen PETA prisoners are being released today to thier respective governments embassy's. The Chinese are keeping six foreigners as they have "extermely great evidence" to prove they had intention to harm people in operating the "Shop of Horrors" as the Chinese Media has dubbed the PETA shop. The Chinese Government has also formally announced that the People for the Ethnical Treatment of Animals is now considered a terrorist organization.

The Chinese announced which of the ten were released. One of the released was Lily Upperton of Oxford.

The rest of the released PETA members are:

Grant Michaels, US
Dale Southern, US
Tim Edwards, US
Robert McIntosh, Australia
Breanna McConnell, Canada
Constance Bonnet, France
Luuk Guhnen, Netherlands
Maria Mazzara, Italy
Koji Shiba, Japan

All released PETA members are banned from entering China for the rest of thier lives.

Diane Lin, the leader of this plot is currently facing 25 years imprsionment. The Chinese have stated that Miss Lin is in good health, being held at the most modern of their prisons. She is being kept in isolation and is watched around the clock. Diane Lin has stated she hoped to shock the Chinese to stop using the brutal methods they use in fur making and other methods. She called President Qian's attempts at reform half hearted and not far reaching enough.

Her number two Denis Suchet, is facing three to five years in prison. Mr. Suchet a French citizen who has worked in special effects for films has been charged with creating the horror shop.

The Chinese have enough evidence to hold these three; Rachel Danforth, US, James Cazzanno, US, and Mark Berkhoff, Germany for a year in prison. They all have willingly confessed and sadly have evidence against them to charge them for subversive activity and intent to harm the public safety.

washingtonpost.com, Wednesday August 3rd

The Mix, Senate Line

The battle for control of the Senate appears to have shifted significantly in favour of the Democrats. With two races all but certain Democrat pick ups the GOP would need to win five other races and hold real tough battles in Nevada and Maryland to stand any chance and whilst there are real pick up opportunities in Ohio, North Dakota and Iowa amongst others it looks like they’d need to run the table to avoid Arthur Breech continuing as Senate Majority leader.

10. Iowa (D): There are so many competitive races that former State House Speaker Bryce Bradley’s consistent lead over Rod Kasey only gets him to no.10. There is little doubt that Kasey needs to change the conversation but Bradley is getting a huge push from national Republicans – especially former neighbouring state Governor Henry Shallick who along with his wife Laura are almost becoming locals.

9. Colorado (D): The US Senate’s single French Senator is in real trouble. She’s long been a prominent member of the progressive caucus but many of her votes and occasional obstructionist behaviour are coming back to haunt her as her opponent, former Secretary of State Carlos Carbrera continues to hammer her almost hourly. Carbrera still needs to close the gap to his right as his support of amnesty has burned him with some conservatives, but he’s been able to make his positions look acceptable when held up against Aubry’s. Early in her term this was expected to be a straight forward re-elect for Aubry, it’s now anything but.

8. North Carolina (D): Senator Brett Logan said in 2015 that his dream opponent was a “socially conservative extremist” like Barbara Layton. It seems Logan should have been careful what he wished for. Layton is running a strong campaign and has closed the incumbents lead to well within the margin of error. Logan’s attacks have landed flat mainly as Layton is already a well known figure, he needs to regroup – his vote to confirm Howard Weston was a shrewd move that alienated Washington Democrats but probably was his only choice in light of a very close race.

7. Pennsylvania (R) – It took a long time for the state GOP machine to kick into action but they’ve finally gotten behind Travis Hoyt with a vengeance. With support from soon to be Senior Senator Carlin Cassidy, Hoyt is driving a jobs first agenda that has been hugely successful for the GOP in recent years. The biggest issue for Hoyt may well be that the state party’s apparatus is heavily focused on securing a second term for Governor Morgan Mitchell and has let Congressman Matt Clausen, the Democratic nominee seize the initiative.

6. Ohio (D): The race has certainly tightened in the Buckeye State, but Republican candidate Ruth Norton-Stewart played a trump card last week securing the nomination of Ohio State coach Urban Meyer. Norton-Stewart, a Buckeye alum, has shamelessly played her college background against Northwestern graduate Justin Willis. She retains a small lead over Congressman Willis but the race will likely come right down to the wire.

5. North Dakota (D): Matt Chantler may have had a disappointing NFL career but the former North Dakota State Bison has taken to politics like a duck to water. He spent last week in Philadelphia enjoying a host of photo-ops with new Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz and a host of Bison who’d travelled north to see their former star in action. In the meantime Deputy Majority Leader Harry Conroy has become embroiled in an argument over a paper he wrote in the 1980s opposing fracking, that has further harmed his chances.

4. Nevada (R) Howard Weston’s elevation to the Supreme Court was in some part secured by the opportunity to turn his seat blue. Placeholder appointee Brent Carter has no interest in the permanent post and Congressman Matthew Spencer is already the Democrat nominee. He looked set to give Weston a run for his money and will definitely like his chances against former Gubernatorial candidate Jay Cano. The Silver State is no a prime pick-up for Democrats.

3. Maryland (R): Dan Kalmbach has always been one of politics’ great survivors. A five term Senator in a state that has long lent against him, he would likely have been out of office in 2010 but for the troubles of Congresswoman Andrea Wyatt but it looks increasingly like his luck might be about to run out. Former Governor Joe Derrick has pulled into the lead and is showing no signs of letting up. Much like Tom Landis in Delaware and Matthew Skinner in Vermont, Kalmbach is a victim of blue states turning bluer.

2. New York (R): All the evidence suggests that Jay Cruger is already exploring post Senate options. His campaign had to deny that he was taking meetings regarding resuming his talk show career. Get used to saying Senator Tim Burrell.

1. Vermont (R): Polls look grim for incumbent Matthew Skinner. He was always in a tough spot when popular State House speaker Martha Nerlinger threw her hat into the ring but those close to the Senator thought his appeal as a “Log Cabin” Republican would give him a fighting chance. Latest numbers though suggest that Nerlinger has a double digit lead that’s only growing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.