1960 Nixon Triumphs

Xen

Banned
Bob Dole was sworn into office in 1989 as what has become known as the New World Order came into being. Dole continued warm relations with the Communist powers not wanting to rekindle the Cold War. Through his Secretary of State George H.W. Bush, the Afghan War ended with a Soviet withdrawal scheduled in 1990, and tried to negotiate an end to the Syrian-Iraqi War. Communism took its first hit in July of 1990 as China dissolved into Civil War. Both Tibet and Uighuristan declared independence from Beijing. India occupied Tibet to keep China from reclaiming the area. For the first time in decades, the Dali Llama returned to a welcoming crowd. Britain and Portugan sent troops to protect Hong Kong and Macao.

A hardliners coup overthrew Gorbachev in the summer of 1991 resulting in the secession of Georgia, Armenia, Ukraine and the Baltic States. Chaos followed in Russia after the coup, Boris Yeltsin was killed by a sniper. The Soviet military refused to acknowledge the coup, and replaced it with a counter coup, declaring Martial Law, the Soviet military gripped the livelihood of Russia around its fingers.

The counter coup resulted in Azerbaijan, Turkmenstan and other central Asian republics to secede from the USSR. In places like Kazakhstan, communist hardliners remained in power.

In other parts of the world, the United States was involved in Somalia where they successfully established a new government in Mogadishu although they did suffer 11 casualties in their operation to the east african nation.

The Chinese Civil War ended in 1992 with the military controlling much of the country and warlords controlled pockets of the mainland. The nationalist from Taiwan had exercised its influence in southern China and firmly held parts of the mainland for the first time in over 40 years. Tapei and Beijing began tense negotiations over the status of China and possible re-unification.

Though he had finally got to live his dream of being President of the United States, Bob Dole lost his re-election campaign to the liberal Michael Dukakis. Dukakis was blessed with a booming economy throughout his term, but also a rising GOP. When the atrocities of Rwanda reached Dukakis he ordered the 82d Airborne into the landlocked African country. The 82d had the air support of US Navy F-14 Tomcats and were later joined by allies from Britain and France. Unfortunatley the allies became prime targets of the rebels leading to over 350 deaths of allied forces, 140 American, 70 British, and 90 French, with 50 other UN troops being killed bringing peace to Rwanda.

Rwanda would set the tempo for the military for the rest of the 1990's, congress continually downsized America's armed service. The Soviet military agreed to gradually turn control over to a democratic civilian government until complete in 1999, marking a great victory after the turmoil of Rwanda for the Dukakis administration.

Quebec seceded from Canada in 1995 causing political chaos in Americas friendly neighbor to the north. The Canadian dollar dropped in value, and continued to decline through the 90's until the adoption of the US dollar in 2000. The growing distance between New Foundland and Ottawa opened the doors for another secession in 2001, which was followed by the maritimes leaving Canada in 2003 forming the Republic of Acadia, like Quebec, Acadia was a member of both the Commonwealth and the Francophone, unlike Quebec it has yet to join NATO. Fearing things are getting ripe for American annexation due to the fall out between West Canada and Ontario, the Ontario Independence party is seeking to leave Canada as well leaving western Canada to its fate, either serving as an independent nation or annexed by the US.

Republican Senator Newt Gengrich tried to take the Presidency in 1996 but was defeated in a landslide by the incumbent president. Gengrich attempted to capitalize off of the Somali government, a US ally being toppled by religous fanaticals supported by the Saudi millionaire, and fighter in the Afghan war Usama Bin Laden. For his part in toppling the Somali government, the Saudi's agreed to US demands and banned Usama from Saudi Arabia. Bin Laden was given refuge in Somalia.

Afghanistan became a quagmire for the nations of the world to figure out, Pakistan and Iran agreed to support the return of the King, and aside from a few warlords that support the King, most of the country outside the cities is run by warlords. The combined strength of the Iranian and Pakistani air forces has kept Khandahar from being over run by the Taliban.

Saddam Hussein was killed by an assassin in 1996, Anarchy quickly enveloped Iraq as various generals and secretaries attempted to upsurp power. The most organized part of Iraq was the South with the Shi'ites quickly setting up their own regional government, hoping the UN would recognize their independence from Baghdad. The Kurds in the north fought eachother, as did the Arabs in the central region. The brothers Hussein at first at war with eachother made an alliance and seized control of Baghdad and claimed Iraq. Odai was President and Quasay Prime Minister, Iraq awoke from the nightmare of Saddam to face the nightmare of his sons. Due to evidence of atrocities against the Shi'ites and later the Kurds, the UN occupied Southern Iraq and the Kurdish region.

In spite of his reluctance to use the military after Rwanda, Dukakis did support the Balkans Campaign with his NATO allies. In 1999, the hammer and the sickle was lowered for the last time and the old Russian flag of white, blue and red took its place. Russia still had a long way to go, and was fighting campaigns against the Chechens and the Tatars who were seeking independence.

Usama Bin Laden sought his revenge against the US and Israel by blowing up their embassies in Turkey and destroying the US embassy in Ethiopia. An angry US demanded Bin Laden to be turned over to their custody. The Mogadishu government didnt want to invoke the wraith of the US (who is still popular among the common people) handed the terrorist leader over after a gun fight with him and his henchmen. Bin Laden was severely wounded during his capture and died in US custody. His son has sworn revenge against the US and Mogadishu.

Arizona Senator John McCain defeated Dick Gephardt in the 2000 elections becoming the next President of the US. McCain is popular at home and abroad, enjoying a wide degree of success, even with a slumping economy. In 2002 North Korea declared war on the US and South Korea for placing sanctions on their country. Their attack on American and ROK troops caused heavy casualties but was ultimatley a failure. Several rockets was launched toward Seoul, most were shot down by Patriot missiles, unfortunatley those that hit caused hundreds of deaths, and thousands of dollars in damage. The US led campaign began with the air war in the first six weeks, followed by the ground war. North Korean citizens welcomed the Americans and ROK troops, concentration camps were found throughout the country. When the battle of Pyongyang ended the allies found the North Korean leadership dead from apparent suicide. Although the war was over a few pockets of resistence were still encountered. International aid poured in to the occupied north, rebuilding infrastructure and given the citizens proper health care and food. Politicians in Seoul welcomed the liberation of their brothers in the north, and prepared for unification, which the UN set the deadline at 2006.

Pope John Paul II died on New Years Day on 2004, many Catholics and spiritualists considered the Popes death on New Years day to be a bad oman. Well respected for his roll in the final days of the Cold War, and his achievements in life, John Paul II was mourned by the world at large. His successor would assume the name John XXIV.

Going into the 2004 campaign President McCain will go against the Democratic Governor Howard Dean. Early polls show McCain well in the lead over the defiant Dean and is expected to win big in November.

Grey Wolf

Donor
What happens to the Chinese nukes ? If there's any semblance of central power remaining I would think that they would chuck them at the Indians if they dare invade Tibet.

Initially I did wonder why a hardliner coup would have the Baltics and Ukraine successfully secede, as it seems more likely to me that the hardliners would send the army in to prevent this. Even in the Caucasus, the loss of Baku is going to be a blow economically so the hardliners may well try to hold on there too. But, as you say, if most of the army refuses to obey orders and launches a counter-coup things will probably go more along the lines that you say :)

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
Grey Wolf said:
What happens to the Chinese nukes ? If there's any semblance of central power remaining I would think that they would chuck them at the Indians if they dare invade Tibet.
Grey Wolf

Basically, Im thinking along the lines of a survivalist in power in Beijing. In midst of a Civil War, you dont go making new enemies. Its like Lincoln said in the 1860s one war at a time. Now we could see some nutcase in Beijing who takes the mentality if I die, Im taking the world with me. I just went with the saner guy.

can Chinese ICBMs be so easily retargeted? I thought I'd read somewhere that their silos were tilted at just the right angle to send them on trajectories to cities in America and Russia... do they have any lined up towards India?

Grey Wolf

Donor
David Howery said:
can Chinese ICBMs be so easily retargeted? I thought I'd read somewhere that their silos were tilted at just the right angle to send them on trajectories to cities in America and Russia... do they have any lined up towards India?

Oh, I would have thought they had some aimed there since they went to war with them in the 1950s - perhaps not many, but some

Grey Wolf

Xen said:
Basically, Im thinking along the lines of a survivalist in power in Beijing. In midst of a Civil War, you dont go making new enemies. Its like Lincoln said in the 1860s one war at a time. Now we could see some nutcase in Beijing who takes the mentality if I die, Im taking the world with me. I just went with the saner guy.

I tend to agree, particularly since India also has nukes. Tibet is no worth losing Beiging over.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Brilliantlight said:
I tend to agree, particularly since India also has nukes. Tibet is no worth losing Beiging over.

Did they have them in 1990 ?

Would they have them in this ATL ?

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
I dont have India having Nukes in TTL, unless theyve had them all along and kept them a well hid secret, which I sort of doubt. But still nuking India would be bad for the government in charge of China, all the worlds governments would likely side against them and start supporting the rebels, not to mention it would likely piss India off, and they can join the rebels.

Xen said:
I dont have India having Nukes in TTL, unless theyve had them all along and kept them a well hid secret, which I sort of doubt.

India's pursuit of nuclear weapons was first spurred by a 1962 border clash with China and by Beijing's 1964 nuclear test. India conducted its first nuclear detonation, described by India as a "peaceful nuclear explosion," on 18 May 1974. So, they don't necessarily have to have nuclear weapons in TTL.

Interestingly, China doesn't have to have them, either. Although research began in the 1950's, the going was extremely slow, especially after the USSR pulled its support in the late 1950's and early 1960's. China exploded its first atomic bomb (October 16, 1964), launched its first nuclear missile (October 25, 1966), and detonated its first hydrogen bomb (June 14, 1967), all within a space of two years. So, they don't necessarily have to have nuclear weapons in TTL, either.

Would Nixon being pres in 1960 have resulted in his being able to implement many of his positive strategies OTL during the VW, at an earlier stage, such as fullscale B52 bombing of the North thru Op LINEBACKER, and a greater level of 'Vietnamisation' among the ARVN ? Also, wouldn't he have been very favourable towards instituting a COINTELPRO-like program at this earlier stage against both civil rights and black radical organisations like the NOI, and against the Klan and similar white supremacist groups ?

I think that the Bay of Pigs would still have failed even with bombing.

I think that he would have taken military advice in October 1962.

I think I would be incinerated along with most of the populations of Europe and the Soviet Union and much of that of the US

Grey Wolf

Donor
Derek Jackson said:
I think that he would have taken military advice in October 1962.

I think I would be incinerated along with most of the populations of Europe and the Soviet Union and much of that of the US

Yes, that is definitely something to remember - Nixon came from a different background to JFK, the idea of rejecting military advice because he knew better is unlikely to be so prominent, and without a Bobby to give moral support even if Nixon was so minded its probable he would have caved in.

On the other hand, if Bay of Pigs succeeded you would get no Cuban Missile Crisis, but as Derek asked has enough been done to ensure its success ? Not being a military expert I don't know enough (I seem to be saying that a lot recently !)

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
Ahh sure thats no biggie, the Bay of Pigs isnt slaughtered and wins an initial victory and holds the beach head. They are reinforced by the US Marine Corps and from there Cuba falls, Castro is killed in the Battle of Havana. Nixon doesnt have to use the exact plans presented to Kennedy.