1948 SA Election: Smuts Wins. What next?

Oh excellent, with no legal bar then it becomes merely an electoral issue. I guess it really then depends on how badly the United Party would expect the idea of roughly equalised constituencies to be taken in the countryside - would they be able to successfully argue it on its merits of fairness or would it annoy even the moderate Afrikaners and see people complaining about it forty years later. I honestly don't know enough about South Africa of the time to say.

Another thing that struck me was wondering how united the United Party was, whilst they might have been to the left of the Nationalist Party they appear to have contained a range of views. The party winning the election is going to cause enough knock-on effects as it is, would no introduction of 'grand' apartheid and Nationalist Party gerrymandering be enough to keep them united, no pun intended, and avoid things like the Schwarz breakaway?

Another thing that struck me was wondering how united the United Party was, whilst they might have been to the left of the Nationalist Party they appear to have contained a range of views. The party winning the election is going to cause enough knock-on effects as it is, would no introduction of 'grand' apartheid and Nationalist Party gerrymandering be enough to keep them united, no pun intended, and avoid things like the Schwarz breakaway?

It probably depends on how far they go to getting rid of racial discrimination. Not sure we would see a Schwarz breakaway in this TL, but may possibly see a hiving off of more conservative UP members to the NP.

How they handle increased agitation from black people for rights will be extremely interesting. A UP victory likely butterflies away Sharpeville in 1960, but not sure what will happen to the ANC and SACP in this TL.

If there is a slow expansion of the franchise to black people, we may see a split in the ANC, with some moderates being prepared to be part of the system.

Herman Giliomee, a South African historian, said that he believed that franchise would have been extended to all coloureds after a victory in 1948 for the UP. This would mean that it would be very difficult for the Nats to win any future election. We could thus see a very slow expansion of the franchise to other race groups, such as the Indians in Natal, and black people in other parts of the country.
How do you think the expansion might have gone? One idea I've seen thrown around was minimum education and/or income levels having to be met for black voters under the idea that it could be sold to the white electorate as a slower expansion and to the more 'civilized' natives. You've also got the, white, black representatives that represented them in parliament to play with.

It probably depends on how far they go to getting rid of racial discrimination. Not sure we would see a Schwarz breakaway in this TL, but may possibly see a hiving off of more conservative UP members to the NP.
I was wondering if we might see potentially three main groups develop - the Nationalist Party on the right, a new 'Schwarz' party for want of a better term on the left, and a remaining Nationalist Party somewhere between them made up of remaining members that leaned more right and moderate Afrikaners who leaned more left and were attracted over from the Nationalist Party post-1948 general election.

How do you think the expansion might have gone? One idea I've seen thrown around was minimum education and/or income levels having to be met for black voters under the idea that it could be sold to the white electorate as a slower expansion and to the more 'civilized' natives. You've also got the, white, black representatives that represented them in parliament to play with.

Well, coloured people were already on the common voters roll in '48. Not sure what the requirements were at the time, but the UP may have loosened these restrictions, letting more coloured people vote.

This would make almost all Cape seats safe for the UP, I would think.

I was wondering if we might see potentially three main groups develop - the Nationalist Party on the right, a new 'Schwarz' party for want of a better term on the left, and a remaining Nationalist Party somewhere between them made up of remaining members that leaned more right and moderate Afrikaners who leaned more left and were attracted over from the Nationalist Party post-1948 general election.

Yeah, I think that could happen, although a Schwarz party is likely to be far smaller (at least initially) in this TL. We may see a left breakaway postponed to the 1970s possibly. Perhaps in this TL we will see a breakaway but of the right, with some Afrikaners going 'home' to the NP.

Political parties are always more complicated than they look though. South Africa having four provinces, each province having a regional party structure and each province having a different weighting of large urban area to rural; as well as English and Afrikaners. So it perhaps is slightly harder to categorise one party being left, one party being right.

I would imagine that the UP would have had, right until the late 1950s, a substantial number of rural Afrikaner MPs/electorates, who would, no matter how moderate they might be, represent the interests of rural Afrikaners.

More importantly, despite the growing urbanisation of the Afrikaner population, both the UP and NP/etc would recognise they are fighting over the swing rural seats. So the interests of rural Afrikaners would be key at all points.

Now coming back to NZ briefly, when we had FPP Labour often won rural seats, as many of them were based around small rural towns who had left wing/centre swing voters. I would imagine that South Africa was the same.
My rural electorate used to be a marginal electorate as whilst it was massively rural, the local town of 12,000 was usually more Labour than not, so whilst National would win it more often than not, in a big Labour swing year, they would lose it.

Political parties are always more complicated than they look though. South Africa having four provinces, each province having a regional party structure and each province having a different weighting of large urban area to rural; as well as English and Afrikaners. So it perhaps is slightly harder to categorise one party being left, one party being right.

I would imagine that the UP would have had, right until the late 1950s, a substantial number of rural Afrikaner MPs/electorates, who would, no matter how moderate they might be, represent the interests of rural Afrikaners.

More importantly, despite the growing urbanisation of the Afrikaner population, both the UP and NP/etc would recognise they are fighting over the swing rural seats. So the interests of rural Afrikaners would be key at all points.

Now coming back to NZ briefly, when we had FPP Labour often won rural seats, as many of them were based around small rural towns who had left wing/centre swing voters. I would imagine that South Africa was the same.
My rural electorate used to be a marginal electorate as whilst it was massively rural, the local town of 12,000 was usually more Labour than not, so whilst National would win it more often than not, in a big Labour swing year, they would lose it.

Yeah, that's true.

Would be interesting how the Nats would fair in Natal if they start trying to position themselves as the party of the farmer. Farming is big in Natal, but English-speaking whites are in the majority there. English-speakers only started supporting the Nats in any significant numbers in the 1970s and 1980s.

That said, Natalian English-speakers have always been more conservative than their counterparts in Johannesburg and the Cape, which could mean they would be more amenable to a Nat platform of not exapnding the vote to non-whites, especially considering the large number of Indians that are in Natal.

I recall reading Ian Smith's memoirs where he was of the opinion that if Smuts won the 1948 election it was very probable that (Southern) Rhodesia would join South Africa.

If you like I can try find the exact quote. Of course, this will completely alter the voting demographic and put the Afrikaners at a significant disadvantage.

Looking further at immigration, it looks like there were a lot of debates in 1947-48 on the topic. Malan/NP types were focusing on the dilution of the Afrikaner Race by other whites.

There I think were clear plans by the government to have a sponsored immigrant scheme that would target about 50,000 per year. This created a lot of worry/angst. In any event, the figures are below, apparently sourced from the relevant Year Books.

1947 – 28,000
1948 – 35,000

88% were British subjects and would be able to vote by 1951. If we contrast that to the 1948 turnout, where 1023663 people voted, the addition of 83,000 new voters, who are likely to not vote for NP/AP, is a massive issue for the latter.

I recall reading Ian Smith's memoirs where he was of the opinion that if Smuts won the 1948 election it was very probable that (Southern) Rhodesia would join South Africa.

If you like I can try find the exact quote. Of course, this will completely alter the voting demographic and put the Afrikaners at a significant disadvantage.

I find that hard to believe, I'd like to see that quote. Why would Southern Rhodesia decide to join South Africa when they had declined to do so in 1922? Think You might be misremembering that quote.

I find that hard to believe, I'd like to see that quote. Why would Southern Rhodesia decide to join South Africa when they had declined to do so in 1922? Think You might be misremembering that quote.

It isn't so mad though is it?

Southern Rhodesia was likely in a vulnerable position immediately after the war. A bit poor, like all the others, with Britain looking weak and distracted. Further, the massive British population growth of Rhodesia had not occurred as yet. There would be a fair amount of wartime camaraderie as well.

In any event, I could see the United Party doing a grand bargain and taking in SW Africa and S Rhodesia on generous terms (like the former was in 1949). The argument being the addition of the former balances out the latter.

150. The King, with the advice of the Privy Council, may on addresses from the Houses of Parliament of the Union admit into the Union the territories administered by the British South Africa Company on such terms and conditions as to representation and otherwise in each case as are expressed in the addresses and approved by the King, and the provisions of any Order in Council in that behalf shall have effect as if they had been enacted by the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I just found Bitter Harvest: Zimbabwe and the Aftermath of its Independence by Ian Smith on Google Books (where it can be previewed) and he says, early on, that he attended a lecture by Sir Geoffrey Huggins on the topic of SW Africa where the issue of its incorporation was being discussed. Huggins recounted, according to Smith, the desires by certain (unamed) by powerful Rhodesians to revive incorporation.

I'll look for it tomorrow and post it on here as its quite late at the moment. Be assured if I'm wrong I will man up to a mistake.

I just found Bitter Harvest: Zimbabwe and the Aftermath of its Independence by Ian Smith on Google Books (where it can be previewed) and he says, early on, that he attended a lecture by Sir Geoffrey Huggins on the topic of SW Africa where the issue of its incorporation was being discussed. Huggins recounted, according to Smith, the desires by certain (unamed) by powerful Rhodesians to revive incorporation.

That's the book I recall the quote from, though that's not the exact quote I recall. IIRC he specifically mentioned the 1948 elections and Jan Smuts. I remembered it at the time because it seemed like a good POD.

EDIT:

In any event, I could see the United Party doing a grand bargain and taking in SW Africa and S Rhodesia on generous terms (like the former was in 1949). The argument being the addition of the former balances out the latter.

Is there any scope for incorporating Bechuanaland (Botswana) too? It does seem like this would be a South Africa wank, but it does make a certain amount of sense.

abc123

Banned
Herman Giliomee, a South African historian, said that he believed that franchise would have been extended to all coloureds after a victory in 1948 for the UP. This would mean that it would be very difficult for the Nats to win any future election. We could thus see a very slow expansion of the franchise to other race groups, such as the Indians in Natal, and black people in other parts of the country.

There will definitely be greater white immigration to South Africa, which will further shore up the UP's position in future elections.

I know that this is off-topic, but could we compare that with Obama's policy in the United States about illegal immigrants?

I'll look for it tomorrow and post it on here as its quite late at the moment. Be assured if I'm wrong I will man up to a mistake.

That's the book I recall the quote from, though that's not the exact quote I recall. IIRC he specifically mentioned the 1948 elections and Jan Smuts. I remembered it at the time because it seemed like a good POD.

EDIT:

Is there any scope for incorporating Bechuanaland (Botswana) too? It does seem like this would be a South Africa wank, but it does make a certain amount of sense.

Indeed. I think Botswana would be a bridge too far really. Britain is unlikely to agree to it under a Labour government anyway and I suspect the window of opportunity would need to be 1945-1950, when things were more fluid. I also get the impression that the Allied Powers/UN were getting really sick of Smut's raising of the issue of SW Africa/Mandate. He seemed to think there was a clear promise during the war that he'd get it. It also seems that voters thought he was overly concerned with such issues and international affairs after the war.

Anyway, I suspect that many Afrikaner voters would be annoyed, re dissolution of their primacy if Southern Rhodesia was admitted, but if SW Africa was admitted at the same time, then that might be enough. Noting of course Rhodesia had a small but prominent Afrikaner minority too.

Without a NP victory it is possible that Southern and Northern Rhodesia could join the union. After the war the legislative assemblies in both colonies debated the pros and cons of joining the union, and it seems that the verdict was that the colonies must either be joined together or join the Union of South Africa. The British Parliament was debating the issue as late as 1952 on whether to federate the two colonies together or have them become part of the Union. In the end, they both entered a federation together and were forced to take on Nyasaland as part of the deal.

By 1946, both colonies had a large proportion of their European populations born in South Africa (over 30% of the total), and around 15% of Southern Rhodesian whites were of Afrikaner descent, in Northern Rhodesia that number was closer to 20%. Even with the post-war immigration from Britain, South African-born whites still outnumbered British-born whites in both territories according to the 1951 census. Even as late as 1969, South African born whites were nearly equal to British born whites in Rhodesia.

As for Bechuanaland, it might be amalgamated as a separate territory, whereas the Union would govern it much as Australia governed Papua and New Zealand governed Western Samoa and Nauru. Basutoland and Swaziland could possibly fit into that mould too, but only if the respective rulers agree to transferral of power from Britain to the Union, which is unlikely.

Barotesland would probably be separated from Northern Rhodesia, although a part of the protectorate, it was governed separately from the rest of the territory, even during the federation years. Europeans were not allowed to enter the territory without consent of the British Resident and the ruler there would not acquiesce to amalgamation. This could force Britain into creating a completely separate protectorate in the guise of the High Commission Territories. Similarly, North-Eastern Rhodesia would most likely be incorporated into Nyasaland protectorate, as this was proposed in 1952-1953 should Northern Rhodesia become part of Southern Rhodesia or South Africa. Northern Rhodesia would consist of the central part of the country along with the Copperbelt, where most of the Europeans, and one-third of its African population lived.

As for Southwest Africa, the Union may try to incorporate, but they would have to do this early on. The lack of apartheid may make it more palatable to the UN (even though South Africa never transferred the League Mandate over to the UN). Regarding debates on the subject in 1946, it seemed that even non-western countries at the time such as Mexico and Syria were willing to go along with the incorporation. This of course would radically change by the 1960s. As the European population in the territory was overwhelmingly Afrikaner (60%) and German (33%), it could be a way of mollifying Afrikaner opposition to the Rhodesias joining.

Finally, if the UP remains in power they keep their policy of assisting and encouraging large numbers of Europeans immigrants to settle in the country, only helping their cause. Once the NP won, they sold the South African government's fleet of liners to Australia and limited European immigration, while trying to attract more Dutch immigrants. The result was that immigration tumbled in 1949, and it was only in 1961 that the NP decided that it needed more Europeans.

Without a NP victory it is possible that Southern and Northern Rhodesia could join the union. After the war the legislative assemblies in both colonies debated the pros and cons of joining the union, and it seems that the verdict was that the colonies must either be joined together or join the Union of South Africa. The British Parliament was debating the issue as late as 1952 on whether to federate the two colonies together or have them become part of the Union. In the end, they both entered a federation together and were forced to take on Nyasaland as part of the deal.

Do you have a source for that? Sounds fascinating but I've never heard that before.

Bechuanaland was actually considered part of a greater South Africa I think. I saw an election poster from the 1924 election where a man with two heads (Hertzog and Cresswell) is trying to push South Africa into the abyss, with Smuts stopping them. South Africa is depicted as including SW Africa and Bechuanaland. I'll see if I can find the book I saw the poster in and post it here.

Smuts was also interested in Southern Mozambique I believe. I am open to correction but I believe he toyed with the idea of trying to buy it from the Portuguese.