The Policeman's Truncheon: A Collaborative TL

Deleted member 87099

Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.

- Spiro Theodore Agnew

----

Hello and welcome to a new collaborative timeline! This one will work like my old ones and other previous ones on this forum. You are encouraged to contribute to the timeline in anyway possible, but please try to keep it to the format that you will see in my first post below. Other than that, just remember two rules; 1) Don't do anything crazy or ASB, 2) Don't jump too far ahead, for instance, if we're predominantly still working on the 70s, try to avoid writing about the 2010s. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this and have fun!

----

April 13, 1972 (POD): President Richard M. Nixon is assassinated by loner Arthur Bremer in Ottawa, Canada, while walking to his motorcade from the Lord Elgin Hotel. Bremer fired five shots, two of them would hit the President, one in the right shoulder and one in the head. Nixon would be rushed to a nearby hospital but would be declared dead at the scene after an attempt at revival. Bremer would be arrested shortly after the assassination.

April 13, 1972: Vice President Spiro Agnew is quickly rushed from the Vice President's Residence to the White House soon after receiving word of the assassination of Richard Nixon. There, Agnew is sworn in as the 38th President of The United States of America. Later, in an evening address, President Agnew pleads for calm from the nation and declares that April 14, 1972 will be a day of mourning.

Conversation between President Spiro Agnew, White House Chief of Staff Bob Haldeman (April 14, 1972)

Agnew: "So, um... the President's funeral is in a couple days."

Haldeman: "Yes, sir, er... the First Lady told me about the arrangements."

Agnew: "I... I understand you and the President were, um... rather close."

Haldeman: "I... I suppose we were."

Agnew: "If, if you'd like to take some time off-"

Haldeman: "No... no, I don't think President Nixon, er... would've preferred that."

Agnew: "Very well."

Conversation between President Agnew, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover (April 15, 1972)

Agnew: "Tell me, Edgar... how many of these other, um... lone-wolves are out there?"

Hoover: "Well... the hard truth is that they're everywhere... a bunch of radicalized youngsters, drugged up on LSD and whatnot... wanting to 'contribute' to their so-called 'revolution.'"

Agnew: "I see... what about the... the Weathermen, and such organizations?"

Hoover: "They'll quadruple as a result of this heinous crime... which is why you should consider my recommendation."

Agnew: "Being?"

[Approximately seven minutes of tape were erased. There have been no conclusive reasons why.]

Agnew: "... right, I'll sleep on it."

An anonymous source in an interview with Bob Woodward of the Washington Post (March 25, 1985)

Source: "It's... it's still fresh in my mind, what happened... only a couple weeks before the bastard-"

Woodward: "Director Hoover?"

Source: "Yeah... only a couple weeks before he, um... passed... when he made the proposal to the President... now, I wasn't in the room... but later, we gathered in the Oval, and the President explained."

Woodward: "What was your, er... your feelings regarding?"

Source: "To be frank, it... wasn't something that I, I cared for... it would've gotten in the way."

Woodward: "Of re-election?"

Source: "Exactly."

April 17th, 1972: 10,000 people march in Washington DC against the Vietnam War. The police respond in force and it quickly descends into a riot. 54 people are arrested and about 20,000 dollars worth of damage is sustained.

Recorded Discussion between Bill Ayes and Huey Newton later that day

Ayes: You hear about the March in Washington?

Newton: Yeah? What about it?

Ayes: Well it gave me an idea.

Newton: What are you thinking about

[Several minuets of hushed conversation]

Ayes: Get your guys ready. If it's gonna work we gotta move on it soon.

Newton: *chuckles* Your one crazy sonofabitch Bill.

Conversation between President Agnew, White House Chief of Staff Haldeman (April 18, 1972)

Haldeman: "Sir, the... the latest poll put your approval rating at, um... well, thirteen points ahead of McGovern or any other potential Democratic, er... nominee."

Agnew: "I would've expected no less."

Haldeman: "Of... of course not. Sir, I... I suggest that you take into account the latest events, and... and start taking a more... more firm anti-crime stance."

Agnew: "In what way?"

Haldeman: "Well, perhaps a bill... something along the lines of public security or... or something like that."

Agnew: "Well, I don't want to write legislation for the sake of it."

Haldeman: "Of course not, sir."

Agnew: "Hmm... OK, I'll call Justice. We'll come up with something."

The Public Safety and National Policing Act of 1972:

"To provide agencies and bureaus of law enforcement the ability to proceed with investigations into criminal activities and the pursuit of criminal fugitives without obstruction from councils of government, through bureaucracy or otherwise."