The Policeman's Truncheon: A Collaborative TL

And this is the wrong way to reduce crime as well. There are reasons people become criminals, and those reasons need to be eliminated, or at least reduced.
Crime must be dealt with by a combination of prevention (addressing the root causes) and punishment (since most crimes are committed by a small percentage of criminals).

Crime must be dealt with by a combination of prevention (addressing the root causes) and punishment (since most crimes are committed by a small percentage of criminals).

Well, not so much punishment than rehabilitation (punishment can be part of rehabilitation), but I agree.

July 20th, 1972:
Weathermen and Black Panthers begin to hold rallies across the country.

July 21st, 1972:
An anti-war rally in Atlanta, GA hosted by the WU and protected by Black Panthers draws large crowds.

Last edited:
July 20th, 1972:
Weathermen blend into a protest against Vietnam in Birmingham, Alabama. When the police come out to meet the protest, uniformed Black Panthers come out against them. A scuffle ensues and the Weathermen inside the crowd take advantage of the chaos to attack Bull Connor. He is hit in the head with a brick which knocks him out cold. He would die three days later in the hospital due to the head trauma inflicted. The police respond by attacking the remaining protesters, Weathermen and Black Panthers. 70 arrests, 5 injuries.

July 25th, 1972:
Bull Connor's funeral is attacked by Black Panthers and Weathermen. The police guard are able to keep them from the funeral but in the chaos 2 policemen and 4 Black Panthers/Weathermen are injured.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, since we're only in late April

The Public Safety and National Policing Act vote:

Senate: 51 for, 48 against, one abstain

House: 220 for, 217 against, one abstain

"ANTI-WAR DEMONSTARTION IN FRONT OF WHITE HOUSE TURNS VIOLENT"
Dozens of protesters arrested
Washington,D.C.- During an anti-war protest held on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House, several protesters instigated a fight that eventually exploded into a full riot. Many protesters were beaten down by police, and several Secret Service agents intercepted protesters that had breached the White House fence. Reports state that an unconfirmed twenty three people were arrested, and fifteen were injured as a result of gunfire.President Agnew, who had been in Congress to announce his nominee for Vice President, promptly postponed his announcement and condemned the actions of the protestors.
-Excerpt from The New York Times, 7/25/1972

"I have to say that, that I was disappointed by the decisions of some of my colleagues... to vote in favor of this bill."

-Senator Barry Goldwater

"I am glad that this Congress... has chosen to act wisely and allow our police forces to act without obstruction."

-Senator Strom Thurmond

"ANTI-WAR DEMONSTARTION IN FRONT OF WHITE HOUSE TURNS VIOLENT"
Dozens of protesters arrested
Washington,D.C.- During an anti-war protest held on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House, several protesters instigated a fight that eventually exploded into a full riot. Many protesters were beaten down by police, and several Secret Service agents intercepted protesters that had breached the White House fence. Reports state that an unconfirmed twenty three people were arrested, and fifteen were injured as a result of gunfire.President Agnew, who had been in Congress to announce his nominee for Vice President, promptly postponed his announcement and condemned the actions of the protestors.
-Excerpt from The New York Times, 7/25/1972

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves

"Good Evening America.

Under the terms of Section 2, within the 25th Amendment, following the shocking assassination of President Richard Nixon nearly a month ago, it falls upon me to nominate a successor to fill the vacancy in the office of Vice President.

I will be nominating, incumbent Governor of New York, Nelson Rockefeller. I have thought about this decision long and hard, coming to the conclusion that Rockefeller, is a the right person for the job, bringing along his executive expertise to the administration

I hope that both Houses of the Congress will agree with my choice and confirm it in a vote."

President Spiro Agnew, short message to the public on May 11, 1973.

OOC: I chose to have Rockefeller, being nominated for the VP due not only to his experience but also due to him originally being Agnew's mentor in the moderate wing of the Republican Party.

I couldn't imagine, Agnew, working well with one of the conservative members such as:
Barry Goldwater
Ronald Reagan
Jesse Helms
George H. W. Bush
Trent Lott
Donald Rumsfeld

"Governor Rockefeller is a fine choice for Vice President."

-Senator Ted Kennedy, May 12, 1972

"Looking back... I would've much preferred that the President selected... selected someone rather than Mr Rockefeller."

-Secretary John Connally, June 10, 1976

Conversation between President Agnew, White House Chief of Staff Haldeman (May 2, 1972)

Haldeman: "Sir, something, um... something happened."

Agnew: "What?"

Haldeman: "Director... Director Hoover is dead."

Agnew: "Are you sure?"

Haldeman: "Yes, sir."

Agnew: "OK, we've got to move fast... Get Gray on the line, and tell him to find the [CENSORED] documents."

An anonymous source in an interview with Bob Woodward of the Washington Post (March 25, 1985)

Source: "You know about the files, um... the Personal and Confidential Files... well, as soon as the President found out Hoover died, he... he had Gray made Acting Director and told him to find them."

Woodward: "But, he... he didn't?"

Source: "We don't know what happened to them... we think his secretary, destroyed them... yeah, `cause he didn't trust anyone else with them, even in death... although, suppose no one would."

"... trust that Mr Gray will carry out his duties as efficiently and diligently as his predecessor, who will be missed..."

-President Agnew's official statement, May 2, 1972