Banned

The Arduous March:
North Korea From 1997
A Timeline by Japhy

The Journey of A Thousand Miles

Somewhere in South Hamgyong Province
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Sometime in Early Autumn, 1997.

Senior Colonel A looked around the command center of the Fifth Artillery Corps, and looked over the carnage. Three guards and one staff officer who had risen from his desk with a service pistol in hand were dead. None of the Colonel’s men were even hurt. And the other three men in the room, all of the headquarters staff that was still in uniform were sitting at their desks looking uneasy under the gaze of lean faces and Kalashnikovs.

This was too easy... Song started to think to himself but stopped. The only easy thing was going too far. The easy thing now is to just surrender and be executed while our families get sent to the camps.

This was crazy.

This was treason.

This was the only way.

Two of the Sergeants, one of whom was still supposed to be part of A’s units Political Cadre, came up to him dragging by their shoulders the Old Man. Even having taken what looked like a rifle but to the stomach he looked as dignified as he must have the day he got his uniform somewhere north of the Yalu, when he’d turned from an orphan to a soldier of the People’s State. He looked up at A and sounded like the dictionary definition of the word “Gruff”.

“Well A, I guess you’ve decided you don’t have to take orders from me anymore?” The Vice-Marshal smiled thinly.

“You want me to surrender food supplies to you? The last supplies I have? I’m not going to follow your orders to let my men starve to death.” A had trouble, especially now, trying to keep himself under control.

“You were to keep food for yourself A. And then come here and join my staff. We have to keep things together here, and the men are expendable in this fight. Our ability to lead is not. You were supposed to come here. I need you, I need you more than I need most of the staff here. That's why I sent everyone else home.”

A wasn’t surprised by that. The Division HQ the other week, when he’d gone begging for rice was nothing except a Major General and his driver. It seemed everyone was sending troops home. Easier to have them try and make it to their villages with official passes. Easier to insure the deaths of their families than to try and do their jobs, care for the men.

“I’m not going to starve my men so that you can be there for the next restructuring, Sir.”

“That’s fine A.” Said the Marshal. “Then you and your men are going to be shot. Just like you’re going to shoot me. What the hell do you think you’re doing? You think you’re going to save your men? There’s no food. Anywhere.”

“Oh, there’s food sir. There’s a whole world of food out there. And I intend to get it.”

The Marshall eyed him warily, and then took a deep breath. A knew the man well enough to know that he was going to try and give a reprimand from the gallows.

“You’re nothing but a bandit A. You---”

A shot him four times. It was clear from the fact the first one was done with the muzzle right in the center of the old man’s forehead that it had done the job, but that didn't matter. A was mad. At the Vice-Marshal, at the whole army, at…

He looked up at the two portraits that were on the wall to his left. Above the big board that showed the whole east coast of the People’s Republic and marked where there troops and batteries of the corps were. The two smiles looked down on him.

He was mad at them most of all. It was they who had brought them to this point.

He turned and walked away from the corpse on the floor.

“Find me some fucking fuel for the generators, I want the radios on and transmitting before sunset!”

------

A short note: 1997 was the peak year of the 1990's Famine in North Korea, with the failure of Chinese crops and the Asian Economic Crisis, the last doors of aid for the maintaining of the Stalinist system closed, leading to somewhere between 750,000 and One Million Deaths that year. At no point since 1950 was the regime closer to its own destruction. We know that between 1996 and 1998 there were small scale attempts at violent and non-violent protests in the DPRK. There are accounts and rumors that have made it to out of the Hermit Kingdom that for at least a day, one Army Corps HQ was the sight of such a mutiny, but that it was crushed. As we don't know where it happened and who led it, I have created the stand-in that is Senior Colonel A.

------

That disclaimer aside: Thoughts, comments, and criticisms, as always, are welcome.

Last edited:

Japhy

Banned
The Judgement of Heaven

Office of the National Defense Commission
Three Days Later, Autumn 1997

Colonel General Ri Young Mu kept his peace as the meeting of the National Defense Council dragged on. The First Vice-Chairmen was already dead. The Marshal of the Republic had ordered his removal when he admitted that the Armored Column sent to South Hamgyong had gone over to the side of the rebels. No one, not even Ri questioned the execution. One did not bet one’s life on smashing such treason with such a small force.

The talk had since turned to airstrikes the Army wanted, and how few the Air Force was capable of launching.

In response to the long rebuttal that the People’s Air Force lacked the fuel and parts to send up enough bombers the Commander of the People’s Navy noted that cowardice and disloyalty were always the hallmarks of the air service. Since then there’d been no meaningful discussion, only screaming and threats of shootings between service heads, then and there in the room. Ri was only half-following now, as was the rest of the NDC.

Even The Center seemed more disinterested. A good sign considering what he’d ordered not twenty minutes ago.

Things droned on this way for some time. Eventually though an aide came into the room and handed the Second Vice-Chairmen a message. Both service commanders stopped, their hands still on their holsters and turned towards the Marshal.

“Well?” Asked The Center, in a calm silky voice that sounded of privilege and streams of blood. It was the first thing he’d said since he’d ordered the Chairmen taken out to the courtyard.

“The Vice-Marshal of the 50th Armored Corps is dead. The Wreckers seized control of his Headquarters as he was organizing his force for a full on offensive into South Hamgyong Province. They have apparently begun open transmissions using the regional radio stations, calling for the militia to join them in a ‘Front of National Salvation’.”

“The headquarters wasn't located at the regional radio station.” Said the Minister of State Security. “You’re saying this HQ revolt was able to take a radio station 45 kilometers away?”

“It does seem that way.” Said the Vice-Chairmen.

The Navy and Air Force commanders finally sat back down. The Air Force commander spoke first. “So they've taken control of a significant stretch of the coastal highway. That means it’s not just the Headquarters.”

The Vice-Marshal held up the message “The report doesn't say that their are other units joining the traitors.”

“Then the report is missing data.”

Everyone turned to look at The Center, who rose from his seat at the head of the table with his arms planted firmly on the corners.

“Any man in the 50th Armored Corps, or the 5th Artillery that is not, at this very moment,” He raised his right hand and smacked it down on the table for emphasis “fighting against these traitors is part of the rebellion. Obviously many have already gone over. They lack the courage to fight for the Fatherland. Lacking the courage to stay the course on this long trek. Obviously any who shirk from their duty of destroying traitors will join them. This must be crushed, and this must be crushed now.”

All the men at the table nodded. Containment wouldn’t work if the thing was spreading so quickly. Brute force was needed on the east coast.

“All Mechanized corps away from the DMZ are to move into South Hamgyong, from both coasts. Every tank that can be loaded onto transport will do the same.” The KPA Quartermaster-General moved to speak, but thought better of it and waited. “They will be joined by at least one Corps worth of Infantry taken from along the whole length of the DMZ.”

“We may just be throwing more volunteers over to the traitors though. Commissars have proven less than useful so far.” Noted the old, somewhat scruffy looking veteran who commanded the Ministry of People’s Security. He wasn’t afraid of interrupting.

The Center nodded respectfully. “You speak truths Minister. Yes, loyalty will be a problem. That is why you and your counterpart,” He gestured to the Minister of State Security “will assemble suitable cadres to join the forces moving forward as supplemental political forces. We’ll also take the cadets from the training schools to fill the same role. They will have the authority to execute anyone as needed.”

“And what about fuel? We don’t have the necessary surpluses…” Spoke the Quartermaster-General finally.

“Then we shall use the strategic reserves on the DMZ. The Americans and their lapdogs won’t act quickly enough to the situation to cause trouble. We’ll make sure of it, lest they lose their precious talks in Geneva.”

General Ri frowned at that. The talks in Geneva weren’t the American’s issue, but the Republic’s. Without them there was no chance of food aid reaching the necessary numbers. He wasn’t the only man thinking about stomachs though. The Quartermaster-General spoke again.

“And how sir, will this army eat? They can’t fight on water.”

The Center paused for a moment before he answered. “The People will have to provide.”

Nothing else of note was said for the rest of the conference.​

------
See, Real People, now Vice-Marshal Ri continues to sit (We think) on the NDC to this day, as Second (Now of Three) Vice-Chairmen, having been sidelined from the first rank in April 2014. He's one of only two members of the Committee not to make it onto the board after Kim Jong Un's ascension to power. He's also the only member of this highest body in the state to have fought in the 1950-1953 war.

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed. Good writing, compelling place, under-explored subject.

Looking forward to more

I doubt Kwannam is what you think it is...
Nobody uses that term nowadays; southern Hamkyong province will be sufficient, I think.

Anyway, very interesting TL, if you need help or opinions please PM me! :D

Japhy

Banned
This should be good. :cool:

I'm a huge North Korea buff, so I'm waiting with baited breath! Your portrayal of Kim is excellent!

Looks interesting. I'll keep on eyes on this.

Very interesting indeed. Good writing, compelling place, under-explored subject.

Looking forward to more

I doubt Kwannam is what you think it is...
Nobody uses that term nowadays; southern Hamkyong province will be sufficient, I think.

Anyway, very interesting TL, if you need help or opinions please PM me! :D

First things first, thank you all for the support. Its nice to get this kind of immediate response when its rather early in the day over here.

And Zeppelinair, if its the wrong term for the region I'm glad to use the right one. Wikiing the subject shows me your point so its to be fixed now. Thank you for that. I'll be sure to take up your offer too.

I am reading this with great interest. Nice to see a Japhy narrative TL. I agree that Kim is a great portrayal - a quiet terror exists in his basic language.

Japhy

Banned
Equal and Opposite Reactions

The Road to Sinpo
Four Days Later, Autumn 1997

“What do you think Sarge?”

Senior Colonel A passed his binoculars to the man who had once been his platoons Political Commissar. Each man trying to keep his head as low into the grass as they could. The reason for that was at the other end of their line of vision.

“Looks like Guards Infantry. Hell, a few of them look like State Security Goons.”

“I want you to try and get a Machine Gun section up on that rise over there. When you can blast as many officers as you can in the opening volley, do it. The rest of us will be in the tall grasses below you, so don’t undershoot. Got it?”

The NCO nodded, and didn’t ask why they weren’t skimming around the larger unit. Then he headed over to grab as many gunners as he could and head up the hill, all while staying hunched over.

Now we just have to hope we can end them all quick.

The officers and NCO’s of this column, what would have been considered an oversized company a few years ago were all from different units of the Fifth Artillery or from the first column that had been sent to try and crush the rising, were quick to respond to orders. They all worked together In the past that would have been trouble, too much bull having been built up to keep everyone isolated, against each other for supplies, promotions, privileges.

Looking at them now though, everyone was equal. Looking the same will do wonders for that sort of thing A thought. He hadn’t looked in a mirror lately but he knew he had the same gaunt face as the rest of them, and that his shoulders weren’t what they’d once been in his uniform.

United in Hunger, he amused himself by trying to slap it with the old propaganda tones, we can commit treason together. For the Fatherland! He almost laughed but just thinking the word made his stomach rumble. And was this really for the Fatherland? Maybe he was just being an actual Wrecker. This might just be all for himself.

Stop it.

No time.

They're coming.

Need their food.

Two Jeeps with machine guns came first, before the men on foot.

“No fuel for trucks.” Whispered a Captain next to A.

“Fine by me.” Said A. “Makes this part easier.” Part of him had hoped for dramatic effect the Machine Guns overhead would start going off then. But instead there was just nothing but the trampling of boots and the quiet rumble of crawling motors.

A looked around one more time. Was it just for him? No, these kids were all going to starve if he hadn’t gone along. Captain Wang would never have even been able to take the Corps HQ had not found out about the plan.

He felt his stomach rumble again, the acid bubbling up, looking for food, it was a powerful contrast to fear of another moment of combat and slaughter.

And then came the buzzsaws. Over the sound of a dozen of them going at once, the men on the Jeeps and the men walking in two ragged columns down the road started dropping,

He looked at their faces as they dropped. And then looked at them down the barrel of his AK-74 as he squeezed the trigger and made more of them die too. Some of them screamed. Some didn’t. He almost felt bad.

By then the first of the Guards started firing back. A looked at the next man, this one getting his rifle up to his shoulder and A squeezed the trigger again. Feeling bad almost happened again, but then something else went though A’s mind. Their cheeks are too full.

He didn’t mind killing them anymore.

That night they got to eat a full meal of rations. Ignoring the bullet holes in at least some of the tins.​

Last edited:

Japhy

Banned
This is looking very promising, keep it up!

Indeed this is most promising :) Keep it up :)

Interesting. Good so far.

I am reading this with great interest. Nice to see a Japhy narrative TL. I agree that Kim is a great portrayal - a quiet terror exists in his basic language.

More Praise for the Praise God! :)

Thanks folks. The interest greatly appreciated.

And thanks Meadow, and Nazi Space Spy. I was afraid my dialog for Kim was going to come off stupid. I'm glad I did better than that.

And in regards to this being a narrative TL, I'm not sure if its the best way to go about covering the whole project in this style, but since the feedback has been good and since I enjoyed writing it, I'm loath to abandon it for the original idea of more TLIAD-style overview posts. At the very least I'd like to have the South Hamgyong Mutiny be done in this style.

Though the next update isn't in the Land of Well Fed Peasants and Workers.

Both the premise and the writing of this story are amazing, and thus far it does a great job of filling in between the lines of the historical record. More, please.

Japhy

Banned
Both the premise and the writing of this story are amazing, and thus far it does a great job of filling in between the lines of the historical record. More, please.

I'm honored Jonathan. I had some real questions about using A but I figured you'd done very well with Pablo Abacar, so a stand-in for those who didn't make it into History can do a good job for what's needed.

Good post! Hopefully they're one of the many looking out for food and bringing the regime to its knees!