WI: Ferdinand VII of Spain was born female

The throne of Spain will go to the arch conservative Don Carlos, his rule WILL be a disaster. Expect some kind of Spanish revolution at some point during his rule.

The throne of Spain will go to the arch conservative Don Carlos, his rule WILL be a disaster. Expect some kind of Spanish revolution at some point during his rule.

Would it be any worse than OTL's Ferdinand VII? I mean Ferdinand VII was a pretty bad king of Spain!

Would it be any worse than OTL's Ferdinand VII? I mean Ferdinand VII was a pretty bad king of Spain!

Yes. Definitely. Again, he was Arch conservative religious fanatic who lead what was basically the catholic equivalent of the Taliban IOTL. I very much doubt he'd be better than his brother.

Yes. Definitely. Again, he was Arch conservative religious fanatic who lead what was basically the catholic equivalent of the Taliban IOTL. I very much doubt he'd be better than his brother.

Ferdinand was an incompetent conservative
Carlos was a somewhat competent religious ultra uber arch conservative. He would Inquisition the hell out of Spain (or try to) and then reverse every sinle policy that was liberal looking. Spain would be a police state and soon enough revolution would occur. However I don't see him being the sort to consort with Napoleon, so most likely he wouldn't get captured in the beginning and instead being captured leading an army. Or maybe small Spanish guerrillas shoot him in the back, because he's a dick. If that happens we see Francesco ascend the throne and then we will see Carlos III Mk.2

Carlos, the Count of Molina is actually a weird figure. On one hand, some of his views would make people here groan - particularly amongst most of the Spanish AH.commers. On the other hand, however, if one understood the old Carlist motto "Dios, Pátria, Fueros, Rey", it's the "fueros" word that would leave people scratching their heads. Unlike in Latin America, where the conservatives were generally centralist/unitarian and the liberals were federalists (thanks, no doubt, to the US), in 19th century Spain it was the liberals that were centralist/unitarian whilst the conservatives were more or less federalist as exhibited by the medieval fueros, or charters. This was especially important for a good segment of the Basque community who had their fueros trampled on and led onto the Carlist Wars. The shift away from this could largely be traced to the First Republic, where soon liberal = republican = federalist, which thus caused in the conservative movement all but the Carlists to back away from the federalist idea. So maybe, just maybe, if the fueros were reinstated under the Count of Molina, things would be different in so much as there would be an inconsistent application of what some people are predicting. Yes, in the central areas the liberal-looking policies would be defeated. But in the peripheries, things would probably look rather different. The Balearic Islands, for example, would probably interpret things differently from, say, Galicia, or Asturias, or Puerto Rico, or the centre.