Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

A long history of experimentation in electric lighting came to fruition in the golden 1870s when several inventors chanced upon the graphite filament for incandescent lighting. With this innovation in hand, the rush was on to provide electric illumination to the masses. Early models of providing electric power beyond local production started with the classic direct current means of electric production, but quickly it became obvious that alternating current production would allow for a wider and more effective transmission of electrical power. President Poe was an early proponent of central electrification and Washington would become one of the earliest cities in the world to develop an electric grid and to provide electric street lighting (some wags claimed that Poe was afraid of the things that might live in the dark). Not to be outdone in their intercity rivalry with the nation's capital, neighboring New York City soon followed suite, led by industrialist financier Steven Van Der Werken. Soon, all of New York State and then the Northeast would be swept up with a wave of electrification, with Van Der Werken in association with Ontario businessman Etienne DuBois sponsoring the largest hydroelectric production operation of the age at Niagara Falls. By the turn of the century, all major American Cities would claim at least some level of electrical grid.

While Paris had played with early electrification prior to the Global War, it was in the rebuilding of Europe that the electrification craze would start in earnest on that continent. Victor and vanquished alike would find generous terms for support from the Poe administration for the Europeans to electrify their cities (using American expertise and manufacturers, of course). The Germans and Prussia-Poland would embrace electrification the most vigorously in the post-Global War period, but all of Europe would soon follow as well.

4566553456_578106c679_z.jpg

A long history of experimentation in electric lighting came to fruition in the golden 1870s when several inventors chanced upon the graphite filament for incandescent lighting. With this innovation in hand, the rush was on to provide electric illumination to the masses. Early models of providing electric power beyond local production started with the classic direct current means of electric production, but quickly it became obvious that alternating current production would allow for a wider and more effective transmission of electrical power. President Poe was an early proponent of central electrification and Washington would become one of the earliest cities in the world to develop an electric grid and to provide electric street lighting (some wags claimed that Poe was afraid of the things that might live in the dark). Not to be outdone in their intercity rivalry with the nation's capital, neighboring New York City soon followed suite, led by industrialist financier Steven Van Der Werken. Soon, all of New York State and then the Northeast would be swept up with a wave of electrification, with Van Der Werken in association with Ontario businessman Etienne DuBois sponsoring the largest hydroelectric production operation of the age at Niagara Falls. By the turn of the century, all major American Cities would claim at least some level of electrical grid.

While Paris had played with early electrification prior to the Global War, it was in the rebuilding of Europe that the electrification craze would start in earnest on that continent. Victor and vanquished alike would find generous terms for support from the Poe administration for the Europeans to electrify their cities (using American expertise and manufacturers, of course). The Germans and Prussia-Poland would embrace electrification the most vigorously in the post-Global War period, but all of Europe would soon follow as well.

4566553456_578106c679_z.jpg

Thanks, Glen, that was awesome as usual. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Indeed, this was a very illuminating update (a-thankyuh, I'll be here all week :p). It seems that the USA is shaping up to be quite the modern industrial powerhouse; of course, it was IOTL at this time anyway.

Glen

Indeed, this was a very illuminating update (a-thankyuh, I'll be here all week :p). It seems that the USA is shaping up to be quite the modern industrial powerhouse; of course, it was IOTL at this time anyway.

Yes, and the reasons for that are even more so ITTL than our own.

In some ways, TTL's USA is like a giant Switzerland.

Not sure why it should be shocking - I typically have to go underground for several months every year to catch up on real life. Glad it is pleasant to you, though.

No surprise, it was just the best electricity related pun I could think of - as always, keep up the good work Glen!

Glen

The Western States of the United States of America were added at the beginning of the 20th century. Some speculate without generousity that the Federalists held up as long as they could admission of these states who would undoubtably fall in the Democratic camp. Others claim that the lag behind when many of the territories began to petition for statehood and actual admission was to give further time for the settlement of natives into an American pattern of life or on the long, long transport north to the vast Hudson territory, where natives could still live as they saw fit. Most of the southern natives chose assimilation (though not without some bloodshed in clashes with the Legion of America) whereas a significant portion of the northern tribes chose to migrate to the North to continue their way of life unhindered by the ways of the Americans.

The first three new states of the 20th century were admitted in 1901. The Plains Territory was divided in twain, with the southern half being named after the native tribe that had been preeminent prior to becoming a state, Cheyenne. The north half of the territory was harder to name, as the previous 'Plains' territory name was decidedly uninispired, and its major waterway, the Missouri, had already given its name long ago to a US state. However, a classics fan referred back to the origin of the term Prairie, the latin term for meadows, and came up with the name Pratorum for the new state. The third state to be admitted in 1901 was the southern half of the Jefferson territory, and kept the name of the territory for its state's name. The remainder of the territory above the Snake River would need a new name, and as it was a mountainous region it seemed logical to take the newest naming convention to the east of it for inspiration and was named the Montium territory.

In 1905 the Shulze territory was granted its long awaited statehood along with Montium, bringing the count of States in the Union to 42.

North America 1910.png

Nice update on state admission; interesting how two of the new states have been given Latinate appellations, perhaps betraying a continuing neo-Classical slant in American culture?

Glen

Nice update on state admission; interesting how two of the new states have been given Latinate appellations, perhaps betraying a continuing neo-Classical slant in American culture?

Yep, plus its a compromise between the Anglophone majority and Francophone minority as Latin is seen as a joint heritage.

Interesting new states shape wise, Especially Adams and Cheyenne. I wonder how we will eventually carve up the Canadian Prairie provinces - hopefully into 7 more states, so that with Alaska, we still have 50 ;) Unless the USA finds a few more elsewhere to fill the gap of course :D

Aaaaaah, the map's been updated finally! :D And interesting shapes on the states. Cheyenne having that bulge is logical considering the continental divide, I know, but still...

Also a nice touch on having a new naming scheme pop up for states. Or perhaps re-emerging considering the names of most of the original colonies.

I am also surprised even at the dawn of the 20th century Amerindian tribes are being encouraged to assimilate or move up north. If anything, that's an encouraging thing to know traditional tribal ways and lifestyles can still continue even to what will presumably be TTL's present day.

I agree with Thekingsguard on a need for fifty states, heh heh.

Well, Glen, I DO like the update, though.....TBH, if you don't mind the opinion, I do think there could have been better sounding, and more plausible, even, names for *Montana and *Idaho than "Pratorum" and "Montium"(especially the latter).....if you're open to any suggestions at this point, I can offer some alternatives that you could consider.

In 1905 the Shulze territory was granted its long awaited statehood along with Montium, bringing the count of States in the Union to 42.

My primary problem with this is what the heck is/are the major population centers of Shulze? Shultze is the Southern 60% of Utah, OTL Most of Southern Nevada (north Las Vegas metro!) and maybe some scraps of Southwest Colorado.

OTL Las Vegas is in the DSA, and wasn't a significant city until the 1950s. Reno is in California. All of the Salt Lake/Provo (Wasach Front) population is in Jefferson.

Glen

Interesting new states shape wise, Especially Adams and Cheyenne.

Well, they do have some geographic relations, and yet are divergent from OTL....

I wonder how we will eventually carve up the Canadian Prairie provinces - hopefully into 7 more states, so that with Alaska, we still have 50 ;) Unless the USA finds a few more elsewhere to fill the gap of course :D

Well, time will tell....

Glen

Aaaaaah, the map's been updated finally! :D And interesting shapes on the states. Cheyenne having that bulge is logical considering the continental divide, I know, but still...

It is a bit of a bulge, isn't it. I am certain there are some rude jokes ITTL about that....

On the other hand, I believe that in fact the bulge is easier to administer than the current border division. Certainly easier when it comes to interstate water rights, which is kinda a big deal in that part of the world.

Also a nice touch on having a new naming scheme pop up for states. Or perhaps re-emerging considering the names of most of the original colonies.

I am glad you like it, and yes, there is some precedent for it. Basically they ran out of non-controversial presidential names, and the older naming systems were getting harder for that region to apply, thus someone thought to come up with a different (or perhaps retro) way of doing things.

Note that Idaho and Wyoming are very low probability state names in most timelines. Montana moderately so.

I am also surprised even at the dawn of the 20th century Amerindian tribes are being encouraged to assimilate or move up north.

Ah, but what else would they do. It is a moral compromise struck by the founding fathers themselves, and quite frankly no one could come up with anything better that still allowed for American Manifest Destiny.

If anything, that's an encouraging thing to know traditional tribal ways and lifestyles can still continue even to what will presumably be TTL's present day.

Well, yes and no. They aren't fully throwbacks - cultural creep is happening up there, mostly through the Francophone north, but this will be synthesis and evolution rather than replacement. More in future...

I agree with Thekingsguard on a need for fifty states, heh heh.

Convergenists!:p