"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the sinking feeling that the attempt to bypass Henri the Heretic succeeds... but little Hercule throws a wrench in those plans by dying either before he's crowned or soon after, possibly (if not probably, given the overall tone of the TL :p) murdered by religious fundamentalists (it's really 50/50 on whether it's the Cathars or the Huguenots... the former might be crazy enough to see the whole royal family as closet protestants, and try and implement a Catholic version of OTL Cromwellian Commonwealth, while the latter might be smart [but crazy, never forget crazy] enough to realize that regicide might be a small price to pay to get one of their own on the throne).

I get the sinking feeling that the attempt to bypass Henri the Heretic succeeds... but little Hercule throws a wrench in those plans by dying either before he's crowned or soon after, possibly (if not probably, given the overall tone of the TL :p) murdered by religious fundamentalists (it's really 50/50 on whether it's the Cathars or the Huguenots... the former might be crazy enough to see the whole royal family as closet protestants, and try and implement a Catholic version of OTL Cromwellian Commonwealth, while the latter might be smart [but crazy, never forget crazy] enough to realize that regicide might be a small price to pay to get one of their own on the throne).

minifidel

Please, don't give SO ideas.:eek:;) If think something like that may happen but he could well end up doing a Henri IV anyway and at least a token conversion. The hints so far are that he will be a fairly successful king who will probably clash a fair bit with Charles of Spain so sounds like France won't explode into all out religious civil war, or at least not for long.

Steve

I'll be making ACTUAL replies eventually--but for now, something to keep you occupied--a picture of young Henri de Guise.

Henri_duc_de_Guise.jpg

Admittedly, this is probably a few years down the road, but still--there he is.

Space Oddity, I've just read your entire TL through from start to finish. The first thing I want to say is:

"Wow."

This TL is magnificent in both its wide scope and magnificently detailed intricacies. Detailing a whole world at one end of the scale, all the way down to the dozens of Guelphs, all of whom happen to be the Duke of Brunswick, at the other... The more I learn about the HRE, the more baffled I become.

I love the sarcastic way of informing us about this world as well. You have a real talent for this sort of writing, and have delivered so many killer lines that have had my girlfriend looking rather alarmed as I lose the last mouthful of tea consumed. :eek:

Some of your characters are absolutely brilliant, especially our favourite Hapsburg, Carlos. May I offer a belated thanks for getting him to the monastery in time before his Grandfather kicked the Imperial (albeit abdicated) bucket. :cool:

Once again, I will repeat "Wow", before adding a final word:

"Subscribed". :)

And don't forget, everyone, to please vote for "Now Blooms the Tudor Rose" in the Continuing Renaissance and Reformation category for the Turtledove Awards! The contest is a real nail-biter this year, and I for one would love to see Space Oddity emerge victorious :)

Brainbin

Gods, that's close, only a single vote in it when I checked. Strangely when I went through the lists the other day I didn't notice EdT's TL mentioned. Very good TL but like you would prefer to see this one win, although must admit its close.

Steve

Thank you all for compliments. Also, your votes.

And now, a picture of someone who will be important in the future, even though they haven't been born yet.

525px-CatalinaMicaelaSpain.jpg

I'll let you all go crazy trying to figure out who she is.

This was easy because the woman in the portrait is the OTL younger daughter of Elisabeth (and ITTL she is married with the eldest son of her OTL husband)

Last edited:
Ahh, hell, I see it's no use fooling your eagle eyes. You are correct--that's a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth.

Space Oddity

I see two points of importance here:
a) That the TL will last long enough that she is born and comes to adulthood. Which is excellent except that given the complexity of the updates I could be reading the TL for another decade or so.:eek::D

b) For her to be important in herself that suggests either a powerful ruling queen in Spain [or possibly a Spanish possession, such as the Netherlands or possibly even an American 'kingdom'] or that she makes an important marriage. Would guess the latter given how patriarchal most of Europe and especially Spain perhaps was at the time. Unless Carlos and Elizabeth make major changes. Possibly she becomes the only heir because of deaths in the family and you get a situation like Maria Theresa in Austria in the 18thC.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how things are developing although its likely to be a couple of decades [in TL time] and several years [in real life] before we find out.;)

Steve

Bwahahahaha! I finally caught up!

Got to say, I love the writing style, and I'm learning stuff about this period by reading it.

For her to be important in herself that suggests either a powerful ruling queen in Spain [or possibly a Spanish possession, such as the Netherlands or possibly even an American 'kingdom'] or that she makes an important marriage. Would guess the latter given how patriarchal most of Europe and especially Spain perhaps was at the time. Unless Carlos and Elizabeth make major changes. Possibly she becomes the only heir because of deaths in the family and you get a situation like Maria Theresa in Austria in the 18thC.
From what Space Oddity has told us so far, we know two things for sure:

1. Cawwos and Elizabeth are going to have at least one son, the already-born Charles Maria von Habsburg, survive to adulthood, and become frenemies with the also-already-born Arthur Tudor of Britain. This implies that he will become King of Spain; we already know that Cawwos himself will be the next King of Spain after Philip II, who died in 1598 IOTL. The question of any throne passing through a junior, female line might not be settled until well into the 17th century.
  2. Someone known as "King Carlo V di Napoli" is quoted in 1643; that would be Cawwos' regnal number if he ever became King of Naples, implying that the Kingdom (and perhaps others in the Crown of Aragon) will either be lost to the Habsburgs, or simply bypass Cawwos in favour of one of Philip II's younger children (unless Cawwos himself is still alive at about 100, that is, and has decided to forsake his other, more prestigious Kingly titles). What's interesting about this fact is that it directly contradicts what we've been seeing in recent updates, about Cawwos making overtures to the Aragonese cortes, and accordingly being quite well-received.
My personal suspicion is that she will either become an exceptionally powerful Queen Consort, or - more likely, given her descent from Catherine de Medici - Queen Dowager.

Wait, we know that Carlos will get the throne? I'd been assuming that he'd predecease his father and the throne would pass to his kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.