"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
--In Spain, Emperor Charles takes time off from his troop preparations to meet with his young grandson and namesake. The young boy is enraptured by the Emperor's tales of his wars, though rather disappointed to learn that his grandfather has lost battles, and even retreated on occasion. When he is king, young Charles declares, he shall never lose, and never retreat. The Emperor laughs, pats the boy's head fondly, and then writes to his son telling him that he has to do something about little Charles. The boy, he notes more prophetically than he realizes, is growing into the kind of man who topples kingdoms when left in charge. Philip takes his father's warning to heart, but as of yet, does nothing, as he's rather busy right now. The Emperor has just planted further seeds in what will be the great disaster of his son's reign, though he doesn't realize that, and in fact, never will.

Either Carlos is going to become king, or he's going to really, really screw up Philip's reign.

Wait, we know that Carlos will get the throne? I'd been assuming that he'd predecease his father and the throne would pass to his kid.

Either Carlos is going to become king, or he's going to really, really screw up Philip's reign.

In fact, we don't even have to rely on foreshadowing or implications within the updates; Space Oddity has outright stated that Cawwos will be King.

Rest assured, I haven't built all this up for nothing. The world will get to see what kind of ruler Charles von Hapsburg is.

Okay, technically a ruler, but still. Philip II had plenty of Kingly titles; Cawwos is bound to inherit at least one of these, and likely most (if not all) of them.

I think that's pretty consistent with Carlos being the guy in charge of some bit of the Spanish Hapsburg empire or other without succeeding his father. Notice that in the historical snippet's he's consistently referred to as "Prince." I'm willing to bet he'll never be king of Spain.

I think that's pretty consistent with Carlos being the guy in charge of some bit of the Spanish Hapsburg empire or other without succeeding his father. Notice that in the historical snippet's he's consistently referred to as "Prince." I'm willing to bet he'll never be king of Spain.

Guys

I must admit I've lost trace of exactly what's been said in so many long and complex updates. Intense admiration for those who haven't.

Wondering on the comments above whether he ends up as some sort of rebel in the Netherlands, possibly being sent there by Philip to get him away from Spain and his frustration mixing in with the locals. This would fit in with a major disaster for Philip as a result of something Carlos does. [The quoted exchange with Emperor Charles makes it sound like Carlos becomes highly inflexible on some matter which could result in him rebelling or possibly just totally fouling up a big battle somewhere with disastrous results for Hapsburg Spain.

I had been assuming that Carlos would inherit the Spanish throne but less certain now. From the foreshadowing above he has some dramatic impact while his father is still alive and king.

Steve

Steve

I had to admit I find all this speculation amusing in the extreme, and bid you all to be EXTREMELY wary of treating anything I say too literally. For example, I have plans for a spunky Queen-Regnant named Elizabeth to appear in... oh, the future. (And rest assured she is a character who has not been born yet, and one of her parents has not been born as well.) Likewise, an upcoming plotline shall feature Prince Charles of the Asturias getting a neat new hat. And yet I must warn you all not to jump to any conclusions, on the meanings of what I just told you. You'll get there in due time.

I had to admit I find all this speculation amusing in the extreme, and bid you all to be EXTREMELY wary of treating anything I say too literally. For example, I have plans for a spunky Queen-Regnant named Elizabeth to appear in... oh, the future. (And rest assured she is a character who has not been born yet, and one of her parents has not been born as well.) Likewise, an upcoming plotline shall feature Prince Charles of the Asturias getting a neat new hat. And yet I must warn you all not to jump to any conclusions, on the meanings of what I just told you. You'll get there in due time.

Space Oddity

Right that does it then. I definitely want any eternal youth serum you're on as it sounds like you're planning to be going for a decade or two yet, real time.:D Either that our your plot involved serious problems with a Tardis.;)

Steve

SpaceOddity, like history itself, takes a L-O-N-G time to come to fruition.

The results are, with history, sometimes good and sometimes bad. With Space Oddity, they are unrelentingly entertaining and thought-provoking!

Keep uo the GREAT work, S. O.!!!!!

Ah. Now that makes sense. (In a stupid kind of way...:rolleyes:) Somebody not really sure he's doing the right thing looking for validation. It strikes me that's the act of a weak-willed person.:eek: Not the impression you get of Henry, is it? Nor, I suggest, something you want in a king.:eek:

I just thought he was fishing for arguments in favor of it to use.

You've put me in a bit of a quandry.

On the one hand, I'm trying not to subscribe to any new TLs. On the other hand, a quasi-Lutheran England is something I can't resist. Subscribed, and keep up the excellent work.

Much obliged.

No problem; any TL which holds out even the faintest hope of high Lutherans in charge of England is one I have to read. And if there's also a tantilizing hint of possible high Lutheran and Catholic rapprochement...

I'm likely to be disappointed, as in OTL, but still a nice thought.

On the one hand, I'm trying not to subscribe to any new TLs. On the other hand, a quasi-Lutheran England is something I can't resist. Subscribed, and keep up the excellent work.
Isn't that otl though?

Don't get me wrong I love the timeline but it is that in OTL that England was quasi-lutheran?

Status
Not open for further replies.