Basque/Aquitaine speaking kingdom in Central Europe

Lets assume there is something which makes the Aquitaini people leave their home and migrate eastwards, they settle down in the iron rich area of Noricum, where they replace the celtic elite, and etablish their own language.
they expand over time, and found a large central european empire.

would that be possible, or would they not be numerous enough for that ?

Lets assume there is something which makes the Aquitaini people leave their home and migrate eastwards, they settle down in the iron rich area of Noricum, where they replace the celtic elite, and etablish their own language.
they expand over time, and found a large central european empire.

would that be possible, or would they not be numerous enough for that ?

I don't think it is really possible, and I also don't think they would really have a reason to move there.

If you want a non Indo-European central Europe, you might be intrested in these guys.

however the Raeti were already declining, the POD would have to be early to allow them to dominate central europe.

Also note that even if Rhaetian was related to Etruscan, Etruscan may well have been an Indo-European language.

yeah, etruscan is definatly not indo european, nor is raetian.
anyway, so there is no chance with a 100 AD POD to have a big non indo european speaking country in Central europe ?
how about magyars or other uralic people still manage to come in this timeline, maybe being more numerous and etablish their kingdom there.

yeah, etruscan is definatly not indo european, nor is raetian.
anyway, so there is no chance with a 100 AD POD to have a big non indo european speaking country in Central europe ?
how about magyars or other uralic people still manage to come in this timeline, maybe being more numerous and etablish their kingdom there.

Eh, depends who you ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrhenian_languages#Anatolian_languages

And of course, note that Hungarian and Finnish (and its relatives) are major non Indo-European languages in Europe OTL.

ok, nvm, it doesnt have to be a non indo european language. however it should be something unique or unusual.
Maybe like this:
After the roman empire breaks apart in 100 AD, the greeks emerge as the successors. they also manage to hold some of the previous territories of the roman empire or reconquer them, however the greeks do not keep on the latinzing policy like the romans did, (latin remains a important language though) instead they try to spread the greek language. The rich province of Noricum, gets hellenized for example, many greeks settle, in order to avoid a independent Noricum, so it becomes pretty much a greek colony. however a colony which slowly surpasses the greek homeland, in terms or resources, later there wil be a war between those two.

Last edited:
It's unlikely,

But possible. See the Thais, who started moving southward after years and years in the same place in Southern China.

i see, however i am not sure if they were numerous enough to replace the celts of central europe, after all the noricans were quite advanced themselves. not sure how advanced the aquitani people were. would it be possible that greeks helenize Noricum, the region is rich in resources. so it could be resonable.

In the OTL early 5th century, have the Vascons split in two and one branch migrates somewhere else. Or if they were already divided, have a wise leader unite the tribes, but his enemies are expelled outward forming a new splinter group.

ok, a vasconian central europen realm sounds quite cool,those guys would deserve being a major great power, they were there before the indo europeans came after all.
however at the moment i am open to certain ideas, i would also like if the whole balkan, romania and central europe would be speaking a hellenic language.