Fallout UK: Any ideas?

?
[*]There could be a thriving (well, thriving by post-apocalyptic standards) trade network in the Irish Sea, ferrying goods between the Welsh republic in Anglesey; the Kingdom of Lancashire in Blackpool and Liverpool (and maybe Barrow-in-Furness); the Kingdom of Cumbria in Carlisle; the Kingdom of Mann i

ive lived in barrow-in-furness and trust me....people would prefer the apocalyptic , radioactive wastes to the best day barrow-in-furness has had...

most people havent left simply cos they cant read a map (not being offensive to people from there, jsut every kid i knew made the inbreed kids from the southern states look like einsteins)

Take that 1950's attitude and FO tech and set it inside of the UK. The first thing I see is a group like the Kings roaming around. Sadly I am thinking of the Mods, and Rockers. True it was around the 60's such groups appeared but who cares?

Mods wear the clean suits and have some good gear. I see them inside of some department store which had a basement full of "the Spring Line" suits, and a good deal of hunting rifles. Against this fortress of old cars, ruined buildings, and narrow alleyways are the Rockers. They have some leather armor, but mostly they seem like tribals whose key weapon is a rock. Sounds lame but think of being in a cramped little alley and suddenly a half dozen men are pelting you with rocks.

I see FO Uk as an interesting place. First laser weapons are rare, and robots are around but in smaller numbers. This is due mostly to the FO idea that America horded its atomic, and fusion battery systems.

If i can interfere with some Krall's ideas : i think you made a too much civilized post-apocalyptic UK.

Too many important cities just rising from their cinders, too many organised settlements.

What its interesting in Fallout, at least in West Coast (less in Eastern one) it was that cities would have likely disappered and let only tribals if the absence of rain, the desertification wouldn't have striked.

But as the major cities were almost completly destroyed and at best became sort of champ of ruins with distinctive settlement not claiming to be the heir of the pre-war city (No settlement in CW claims to be "Washington", no one in the Boneyard claim to be Los Angeles, etc.). But smallers, less interesting cities survived as Klamath, San Diego (Dayglow), Barkesfield (sort of), etc.

The only settlement that continued to claim thesmelves as the original cities are fews (i can only think of the Pitt, New Vegas or Ronto). Besides all of these cities, at the exception of the ones quoted here, not really persued their pre-war role.

Klamath is a trade center when it was more technological or small industries centered pre-war, Goodsprings was only a touristical ghost city and became a point in the tradeway because of its waters.

Aslo, for the rest, you're making too organized factions. Republics, cities states, democraties, etc. I mean maybe you can have some municipal powers (not really democratics, not really autocratic, like Junktown, Megaton or Primm), but cities states and critically republics need to be very very rares. In the known fallout-verse i can only think about the NCR, the Vault-City and maybe the BoS of Middle America as organised states (well, with the Republic of Dave too).

On the other hand you need more caricatural organisations. I don't know, City's ghoul in tory uniforms trying to rebuild the ruined business town. More seriously, the Wasteland is very practicable for organisations growing powerful and trying to gain to their cause the fews settlements.
It's how NCR passed from a small redneck village to the most enviable state in West Coast.

More ev0l ones too. Muties, BUF led by the black grandgrandson of Mosley that try to eradicate ghouls, people venerating an advert animated panel that advise them to kill people...And of course, raiders. Many raiders.

And the Wicker Man as a spreadful religion :D

I was going to comment on that but I think the UK got nuked a good bit less because it was already headed towards wastelandism before the Great War.

Aslo, for the rest, you're making too organized factions. Republics, cities states, democraties, etc. I mean maybe you can have some municipal powers (not really democratics, not really autocratic, like Junktown, Megaton or Primm), but cities states and critically republics need to be very very rares. In the known fallout-verse i can only think about the NCR, the Vault-City and maybe the BoS of Middle America as organised states (well, with the Republic of Dave too).

Depends on the time frame, by New Vegas things had really begun to settle down into nationhood or was close to it (Great Khans in some ending apparently create an empire in the Northwest with ease) in almost every known place where the weather wasn't shit or the area wasn't overrun by warring tribals.

I was going to comment on that but I think the UK got nuked a good bit less because it was already headed towards wastelandism before the Great War.
Well, if we're still in a huge confrontational "cold war" before the Ressource Wars with a face to face between USSR and USA (that would made OTL Cold War sort of schoolgirl staring contest full of giggles) it would be amazing that Europe didn't finish as even more bombed than USA. Cheap and close targets.
For the situation of pre-war UK. Honestly i don't think it would changed anything. The Great War was an absolut rainfall of nuclear missiles : there was around 90 missiles just for New Vegas. Let's say that each UK cities only recieved, well, 20 missiles...

Depends on the time frame, by New Vegas things had really begun to settle down into nationhood or was close to it (Great Khans in some ending apparently create an empire in the Northwest with ease) in almost every known place where the weather wasn't shit or the area wasn't overrun by warring tribals.
According to Fallout Bible, and except for certain few region as Zion Cañon where it isn't real one, it was no rain since the Great War. Not a drop. The weather is shit.
For the zones, i would likely think that NCR and Core Region are the big exception. Elsewhere the better you find is municipality-like organisation.

Besides, all are agreeing that the "nationhood" of NCR is really weak, and threat to collapse under its own weight. It would be interesting to see the NCR begin slowly to crumble and split on the newt FO, because it's going to happen.

Besides, all are agreeing that the "nationhood" of NCR is really weak, and threat to collapse under its own weight. It would be interesting to see the NCR begin slowly to crumble and split on the newt FO, because it's going to happen.
There is not a macro image of the word no big enough to express just how full of wrong that statement is. NCR is so damn stable that life in the Core Regions has become safe and boring and living standards are freaking Great, NCR isn't going to collapse even if the Legion won at hoover dam.

There is not a macro image of the word no big enough to express just how full of wrong that statement is. NCR is so damn stable that life in the Core Regions has become safe and boring and living standards are freaking Great, NCR isn't going to collapse even if the Legion won at hoover dam.
But each character in Mojave (that came or not from Core Region) and even NCR fellas would say the same thing : NCR have expanded too quickly and can't manage to hold all the territories. Army is unhappy (hell, Chief Hanlon was actually sabotaging his own army communications).

Both that, and the fact that NCR is slowly becoming the property of cattle's baron, that his financial system collapsed and forced them to adopt a currency based on water reserves convertible in caps (a great back by comparison of FO2 where it was no longer caps), that you have actually people fleeing NCR...

For the achievments of NCR, well...We have only the word of NCR officers to know how much the changes are importants since FO2 : things are maybe a little less enjoyable. Actually the opponents to NCR are or his foes (Power Gangers, etc) or regular fellas that sort of like NCR, but are not agreeing on his tendency to "what i want, i take it whatever you agree or not". It's even the first statement you can heard about NCR in New Vegas.

It's not collapsing right during the Mojave Events and a victory at Hoover Dam can slow the things even greater. But it would be amazing that a civil disoders doesn't occurs.

Interesting point about the future of NCR tough.

Krall

Banned
If i can interfere with some Krall's ideas : i think you made a too much civilized post-apocalyptic UK.

Too many important cities just rising from their cinders, too many organised settlements.

What its interesting in Fallout, at least in West Coast (less in Eastern one) it was that cities would have likely disappered and let only tribals if the absence of rain, the desertification wouldn't have striked.

But as the major cities were almost completly destroyed and at best became sort of champ of ruins with distinctive settlement not claiming to be the heir of the pre-war city (No settlement in CW claims to be "Washington", no one in the Boneyard claim to be Los Angeles, etc.). But smallers, less interesting cities survived as Klamath, San Diego (Dayglow), Barkesfield (sort of), etc.

The only settlement that continued to claim thesmelves as the original cities are fews (i can only think of the Pitt, New Vegas or Ronto). Besides all of these cities, at the exception of the ones quoted here, not really persued their pre-war role.

Klamath is a trade center when it was more technological or small industries centered pre-war, Goodsprings was only a touristical ghost city and became a point in the tradeway because of its waters.

I think you're both right and wrong in different ways. You're right that I'm definitely making the UK a bit too organised, and I'm trying to fill regions with organised states instead of wastelands. You're wrong in that you're talking as though America and Britain are analogous and would be similarly affected by the nuclear apocalypse. Britain (well, England) is much more densely populated than most of the US - there's not really a lot of room for wasteland between the ruins, and whilst new settlements may be set up whilst old ones die out, in most places they're more likely to be set up in the ruins of old settlements than just built entirely from scratch.

The number of organised factions isn't something that I think is unlikely - Britain has a population far, far larger than the Capital Wasteland or southern California and, provided that a significant portion of them survive, Britain's population after the war may still be large in comparison to those regions. A higher population in a similar or larger amount of space would logically lead to there being more factions, especially considering many of them would be unable to regularly contact each other due to obstacles between them (mountainous regions, hostile tribes, mutant badgers, radioactive wasteland, etc.).

You also say that there should be less democracies, city-states and republics, which I don't really understand. Firstly, barely any of the states I've mentioned are democracies - beyond the Welsh republic I don't think I've mentioned democracy at all. Secondly, I don't understand why you dislike city-states; they're states based around a specific population centre, which is a reasonable and logical form for primitive states to take. Thirdly, when I say "republic" I tend to use it in its most general and non-specific meaning, i.e. "not a monarchy" - no democracy, nor freedom, nor justice, is implied.

More ev0l ones too. Muties, BUF led by the black grandgrandson of Mosley that try to eradicate ghouls, people venerating an advert animated panel that advise them to kill people...And of course, raiders. Many raiders.

This I agree with - Fallout UK needs to be less of a nice place to live. I don't have a lot of stuff worked out regarding the day-to-day running of each country, but when I get round to fleshing things out I'll try and ensure that everywhere is crap in some way.

And the Wicker Man as a spreadful religion :D

Aw, hell yes. Maybe the Kingdom of Wales could adopt some twisted form of Druidism; paganism, Anglicanism and folk religion could fuse in the tribal societies that inhabit what remains of the Midlands; and I doubt anywhere apart from the Canterbury Papacy would be practising anything that could be easily identified as a form of Christianity. Presumably religions in regions with high levels of immigrants would have adopted aspects of the immigrants' religions, so there might be some form of quasi-Abrahamic faith in London taking elements from Anglican Christianity, Islam and Judaism, and tribes from the Black Country would hold beliefs heavily influenced by Hinduism, and so forth.

But each character in Mojave (that came or not from Core Region) and even NCR fellas would say the same thing : NCR have expanded too quickly and can't manage to hold all the territories. Army is unhappy (hell, Chief Hanlon was actually sabotaging his own army communications).
NCR is overstretched but not to the breaking point, The Legion is stretched to that point for sure. NCR has it's fair share of issues but The Barons and the money issues aren't nation ending issues. It's too late to go over the details but I have gone over stuff like this in other threads in other websites, NCR is doing pretty damn well considering they are fighting two wars (Legion and BOS) and god knows what in Baja. Keep in mind the Mojave is actually a minor war ( Lee's bullshitting around is mostly so he can have an epic battle so he can get glory, a simple victory wouldn't actually be all that glorious for him.

another thing you could do is revive the traveling actors...but instead of corpus christi day and religious stuff, have them play out scenes from famous british movies and pop culture

I think you're both right and wrong in different ways. You're right that I'm definitely making the UK a bit too organised, and I'm trying to fill regions with organised states instead of wastelands. You're wrong in that you're talking as though America and Britain are analogous and would be similarly affected by the nuclear apocalypse. Britain (well, England) is much more densely populated than most of the US - there's not really a lot of room for wasteland between the ruins, and whilst new settlements may be set up whilst old ones die out, in most places they're more likely to be set up in the ruins of old settlements than just built entirely from scratch.
I would like point something here. The total population in post-war Fallout-verse is likely defined not by the previous one, but by the capacity of the country to make Vaults. Almost all the population that didn't ended in Vaults was killed. Some of them ended as ghouls, or at best swampfolks.
As UK would likely not make as much vaults than US, i think it would end with a very few human population, with more ghouls than US (but still the minority)

You also say that there should be less democracies, city-states and republics, which I don't really understand. Firstly, barely any of the states I've mentioned are democracies - beyond the Welsh republic I don't think I've mentioned democracy at all. Secondly, I don't understand why you dislike city-states; they're states based around a specific population centre, which is a reasonable and logical form for primitive states to take. Thirdly, when I say "republic" I tend to use it in its most general and non-specific meaning, i.e. "not a monarchy" - no democracy, nor freedom, nor justice, is implied.
Okay for republic, i've misunderstood. For the "why" of less states-likes things in wasteland, well : settlements tends to be not very populated; or it evolves with charismatic figures (Aradesh, Darkwater, Simms, Trudy, etc.) that more or less have the role of "big men" : figures that have an authority recongized by all, but not really chosen for.
Sure it depends greatly of the kind of settlement : a "universitary organisation" would likely be collegial direction, a town with many divergent opinions would be democratic, a regular would be municipal (by municipal i mean with a "mayor-like" head not forcefully elected but recognized and with expanded powers).

NCR is overstretched but not to the breaking point, The Legion is stretched to that point for sure. NCR has it's fair share of issues but The Barons and the money issues aren't nation ending issues.
Of course, but the problem for NCR is that this issues are adding to themselves.

It's too late to go over the details but I have gone over stuff like this in other threads in other websites, NCR is doing pretty damn well considering they are fighting two wars (Legion and BOS) and god knows what in Baja.
FOr Baja, it's two opinion i've seen. The first is that the "ghosts" are real things, the second (and i've to confess, the first i've tought about) it was the rangers were chasing ghosts, not litterally but things that didn't exists (remanants of Enclave, of Master, of Legion, who knows?)
For the two wars : well the BoS thing was harsh but it's finished now (even if BoS says anything else). NCR won by having a lot of casualities.

Besides fighting a former ally and important part of NCR developments (apart from technology of course,but you have even a state named Maxson) wasn't necesserly good for morale.

Actually the Legion war is a great test of NCR but it allowed it to slow its issues : by being obviously the "good guy" even with his weakness face to the romanoblob stuff, it gives NCR a lot of credibility. The day where Legion is defeated, it would maybe backfired (as US popularity in the world that decreased the day after WWII)

I always saw the Baja ghosts as Supermutants which ran south instead of east. As the Nightkin are smarter, I always expected some cool DLC in which the Rangers need help rooting out some Mexican Warlord armed with stealthboys and supermutants. Or that the BoS had some covet unit of stealthboy users engaged in a partisan war.

Krall

Banned
I would like point something here. The total population in post-war Fallout-verse is likely defined not by the previous one, but by the capacity of the country to make Vaults. Almost all the population that didn't ended in Vaults was killed. Some of them ended as ghouls, or at best swampfolks.
As UK would likely not make as much vaults than US, i think it would end with a very few human population, with more ghouls than US (but still the minority)

Okay, post-apocalyptic America's population is definitely not determined by the Vaults. I think if basically everyone in the US was descended from Vault dwellers then they would know about it to some extent. Plus, the Vaults were never actually meant to save anyone - there were only 122 of them and they only had the capacity for 1,000 people each (though in reality the number of occupants was smaller in many places, due to the "cry wolf" effect, and due to the various social experiments requiring less subjects). Considering this, the fact that some Vaults still haven't opened, and the fact that many Vaults didn't survive (i.e. their population died out), I seriously doubt the vast majority of America's population is Vault-descended.

Okay for republic, i've misunderstood. For the "why" of less states-likes things in wasteland, well : settlements tends to be not very populated; or it evolves with charismatic figures (Aradesh, Darkwater, Simms, Trudy, etc.) that more or less have the role of "big men" : figures that have an authority recongized by all, but not really chosen for.
Sure it depends greatly of the kind of settlement : a "universitary organisation" would likely be collegial direction, a town with many divergent opinions would be democratic, a regular would be municipal (by municipal i mean with a "mayor-like" head not forcefully elected but recognized and with expanded powers).

Well, I would imagine the Kingdom of Wales would have evolved as a "big man" state, and that was basically the origin I was planning for Anglaland (so their racism and insanity is all based on the teachings of one insane racist from decades past). The Kingdom of Scotland would count as well, since it's formed by an egotistical Ugandan claiming the title and conquering his way to dominance in the Lowlands (somewhat similar to Caesar's Legion, where a little bit of command and organisational talent can go a long way).

Okay, post-apocalyptic America's population is definitely not determined by the Vaults. I think if basically everyone in the US was descended from Vault dwellers then they would know about it to some extent. Plus, the Vaults were never actually meant to save anyone - there were only 122 of them and they only had the capacity for 1,000 people each (though in reality the number of occupants was smaller in many places, due to the "cry wolf" effect, and due to the various social experiments requiring less subjects). Considering this, the fact that some Vaults still haven't opened, and the fact that many Vaults didn't survive (i.e. their population died out), I seriously doubt the vast majority of America's population is Vault-descended.
The population of post-war America was insanely low at the time of FO1.
A city like The Hub is reaching 1,000 inhabitants in 2161, 68 years after its creation and its the biggest city of Core Region at this time, with Junktown being the second.

It's approximatly the size of a vault population. But nothing indicate that the one was created by vault dwellers and the second was by a former soldier.

But The Hub settlement depended greatly from the arrival of new comers froms Vaults, as Harold who was from Vault 17 if my memory is good.

Besides, a good part the cities of Core Region are directly issued from Vaults : Shady Sands, Vault-City (duh), Arroyo, Boneyard. Maybe Dayglow too but we've not indication about it.

Of course they're other facilities that helped survival too, as and probably better than regular Vaults (as you said, they're not meant to save anyone, it's just that it happend that some saved people) : military bases (Mariposa being the "birthplace" of BoS), submarines (Chi), probably secret scientific places as the Glow (yes i know, it was completly destruct, but without continuous shots, it would likely allow survival), bunkers (Lost Hills), even caves (Little Lamplights, Slags) or handmade bunkers-like.

But as far i can see, when humans survived to the Great War outside protective facilities and not becoming ghouls, it was because they were in very isolated regions, and or founded settlements that beneficied from vaults populations bringing-in, or evolved in tribes.
As you said, in UK, the pre-war population and cities (and, therefore industrial potential) don't let many isolated lands, this kind of population may have been more reduced than USA, and would have make post-UK more inhabited by vaults dwellers or related.

Now, it's only what we know of the currently released Fallouts, so maybe UK would be differently based, but i don't think so.

Krall

Banned
The population of post-war America was insanely low at the time of FO1.
A city like The Hub is reaching 1,000 inhabitants in 2161, 68 years after its creation and its the biggest city of Core Region at this time, with Junktown being the second.

It's approximatly the size of a vault population. But nothing indicate that the one was created by vault dwellers and the second was by a former soldier.

I'm not sure where you're getting the figure of 1,000 inhabitants. I haven't played the original Fallout, but the Fallout wiki has a quote saying "The Hub was a larger city than both Junktown and Shady Sands combined. You could drop the Vault in there, and you probably would not notice." - considering the fact that the normal population of a Vault is 1,000 people, I doubt the Hub was quite that small.

But The Hub settlement depended greatly from the arrival of new comers froms Vaults, as Harold who was from Vault 17 if my memory is good.

Besides, a good part the cities of Core Region are directly issued from Vaults : Shady Sands, Vault-City (duh), Arroyo, Boneyard. Maybe Dayglow too but we've not indication about it.

Of course they're other facilities that helped survival too, as and probably better than regular Vaults (as you said, they're not meant to save anyone, it's just that it happend that some saved people) : military bases (Mariposa being the "birthplace" of BoS), submarines (Chi), probably secret scientific places as the Glow (yes i know, it was completly destruct, but without continuous shots, it would likely allow survival), bunkers (Lost Hills), even caves (Little Lamplights, Slags) or handmade bunkers-like.

But as far i can see, when humans survived to the Great War outside protective facilities and not becoming ghouls, it was because they were in very isolated regions, and or founded settlements that beneficied from vaults populations bringing-in, or evolved in tribes.
As you said, in UK, the pre-war population and cities (and, therefore industrial potential) don't let many isolated lands, this kind of population may have been more reduced than USA, and would have make post-UK more inhabited by vaults dwellers or related.

Now, it's only what we know of the currently released Fallouts, so maybe UK would be differently based, but i don't think so.

Hmm, you make some good points, and you've made me realise that there was a piece of vital background that I'd come up with, and subsequently ignored up until now.

I did say that the upper classes would be able to build their won, lavish bunkers prior to the war, whilst the lower classes would have to make do with makeshift and government bunkers, but I never actually considered what effect the upper class bunkers would have on post-apocalyptic Britain. An entire class of powerful, rich, white conservative types would have a profound impact on post-war society (since they would be in power over what remained of the lower classes, this would help to make post-war Britain more like 1950s Britain).

This also provides a pretty good background for some of the post-war states I've come up with, e.g. Anglaland could have been founded by a community of far right-wing, white supremacist aristocrats. The various other kingdoms and city states could have been founded by the upper classes who took shelter in or near those regions. Presumably Yorkshire's upper classes all took refuge in the more rural areas of North Yorkshire, after the war they then tried to dominate the lower classes in southern Yorkshire, but eventually fell apart due to attacks from whatever monsters now roam the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors. This would leave southern Yorkshire to form a state based around the lower classes, and the remnants of the upper classes to the north would be absorbed into Anglaland as vassals.

I
I did say that the upper classes would be able to build their won, lavish bunkers prior to the war, whilst the lower classes would have to make do with makeshift and government bunkers, but I never actually considered what effect the upper class bunkers would have on post-apocalyptic Britain. An entire class of powerful, rich, white conservative types would have a profound impact on post-war society (since they would be in power over what remained of the lower classes, this would help to make post-war Britain more like 1950s Britain).

wtrue that, but tis very unlikly many would stay upper class for long...as alot of 50s british upper class were well...snubs who did nothing...i cant imagine them surviving long, the majority anywyas...you could have alot of them become the new lower class or slaves of the other states, with a few supremist states with them in charge

I'm not sure where you're getting the figure of 1,000 inhabitants. I haven't played the original Fallout, but the Fallout wiki has a quote saying "The Hub was a larger city than both Junktown and Shady Sands combined. You could drop the Vault in there, and you probably would not notice." - considering the fact that the normal population of a Vault is 1,000 people, I doubt the Hub was quite that small.
It is stated by Shady Sands inhabitants, maybe Aradesh, that "The Hub is an important city, maybe 1,000 inhabitants" in the original Fallout. I think it's even a maximal estimation with 1000 is used like in greek Historica as a "wow, there's many people here". But let's say it's a correct number.

For the quote, it's one of the Vault Dweller (main character in FO1) isn't? I would likely think that, as you said Vault weren't fully populated because of "cry wolf", we're talking about a less than 1000 population.
Besides Shady Sands being really small (originated from a 1/4 of a vault that ended into civil war, i would say that 100 is a maximum, maybe 150 with a great piece of chance) and Junktown being a relative important town but with maybe the half of the Hub population (Junktown have two distinct zones, when The Hub have five), the addition of the two would be likely less than The Hub total population.

Post-apocalyptic tories? I like that.

Krall

Banned
wtrue that, but tis very unlikly many would stay upper class for long...as alot of 50s british upper class were well...snubs who did nothing...i cant imagine them surviving long, the majority anywyas...you could have alot of them become the new lower class or slaves of the other states, with a few supremist states with them in charge

Whilst many among the upper classes are/were/would be idle buggers who don't want to do any hard work, they would still be very powerful immediately following the war due to the fact that they have large, hi-tech bunkers well-stocked with food and medical supplies. Us Britons are also traditionally rather unrevolutionary and deferent, so in many places people might actively welcome the return of the established order and going back to the old status quo, if only because it's familiar, orderly, and safe.

My idea for a Fallout UK was a cross between The Dark Tower and A Song of Ice and Fire but with lasers.
Also moving the timeline to the mid-60s because I think that that period is more iconic for the UK.

The idea was:
The Royal family survive and quickly setup shop in key areas of the country. With each area overseen by a Lord who has atleast one suit of Power Armour and a stockpile of guns and ammo. Below him are his "serfs" poor people and ghouls who work for him and if need be fight for him, they would only use melee weapons whilst only the Lord and his knights use the guns. Infighting between the Lords is common.

Birmingham would be a huge metal forging city, making new weapons and armour.

Brighton would be in a state of constant war between rival tribes of Mods and Rockers.

Blackpool would be a city of vice without laws and allowed by Royal decree to inderpendent.

London would also be a warzone, where a pair of twins and a vast army are holding back the Royal families army. With Morlock-like creatures living in the tube stations. Also a slight bohemian/hippie vibe to a few areas.

Scotland and Wales would be very tribal and "uncivilised" compared to everywhere else but they still practice democracy and are a major threat to the Kingdom.

I also had the idea of Thuggee cults being about, due to the influence of Indian culture in the 60's.

Liverpool. I have no idea, but has to be some kind of Beatles reference. Maybe the Lord is slightly mad and has his men wear brightly coloured uniforms.