Dieselpunk

Call that Comunismo Metalmeccanico and make it a 1950 Italian Trade Union wank. And keep that disco punk away from me.

Comunismo Metalmeccanico has a nice ring to it...

...which brings me to...

...-and I apologize in advance for my obsession-...

Giovanni Guareschi's

Don Camilo OverDrive!!!

Don Camilo and Sindaco Peppone battle it out in two giant mechas called Gertrude et Dynamos all over the Po valley plains!

(...all right... who's been cutting my Thorazine with aspirin this time?)

Comunismo Metalmeccanico has a nice ring to it...

...which brings me to...

...-and I apologize in advance for my obsession-...

Giovanni Guareschi's

Don Camilo OverDrive!!!

Don Camilo and Sindaco Peppone battle it out in two giant mechas called Gertrude et Dynamos all over the Po valley plains!

(...all right... who's been cutting my Thorazine with aspirin this time?)

YOU
ARE
GOD

Goldstein

Banned
The Eastern Front, Late 1941:

"Mein Oberst, a radio message has arrived from OKH saying the Spanish volunteers from the Blue Division should be arriving today. But there's one thing I do not understand..."
"...yes, what is it?"
"...well, Herr Oberst, the message says they will be arriving in their own "war machines". I thought they were infantry soldiers?"
What had been a barely perceptible hum in the background of the artillery fire became a deafening roar as five mechanical men, twenty meters tall each, pass over the German positions at enormous speed...

Red berets on their heads, and what looked like thin moustaches on the ever smiling lips of these metal colossi, their torsos painted blue, on the right side of the chest in red the yoke and arrows of Falange, on the left a Sacred Heart pulsing fire and red, shooting at the Russian positions with giant hand held mortars...

And then a single one, carrying a thirty meter tall Spanish Flag, landed, planted it, did a Roman salute and after a pause with a booming voice from some unseen tannoy said:

"coño Romerales, que al que tienen que oir es a usted traduciendo lo que le diga yo al alemán, no a mi, ponga el cable en el otro agujero, ese de..."(1)

...and then in oddly accented German (2)

"Impegial salutations fgom the Blue Division! Lieutenant Genegal Agustin Muñoz Ggrandes and his pegsonal guard pgesenting themselves fog duty! Soggy for the inconvenience, the rest of the Division will be arriving in a few minutes. Long Live Fganco! Death to the Bolsheviks! Aggiva España!"

FROM INSIDE THE SECRET BASE AT THE VALLEY OF THE FALLEN,
- BUILT UNDER THE VERY NOSES OF THE INTERNATIONAL JUDEO-MASONIC CONSPIRACY-,
THOUSANDS OF MECHANICAL GLADIATORS!!!
READY TO DEFEND THE SPANISH ETERNAL VALUES
AND THE SPANISH UNITY OF DESTINY IN THE UNIVERSE
AS THE SPIRITUAL RESERVE OF THE WEST
FROM THE MENACE OF THE RED HORDE!!!

C&C:C! Red Alert 4: Command And Conquer:Caudillo!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with... FrancoPunk!

You, sir, are awesome beyond my ability to express it in english.

elpresidentepunk a.k.a. bananapunk

Stereotypical banana republic-themed alternate or fantasy worlds... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D

The most pretentious attempt at kick-starting a new something-punk was during the recent premiere of 9. The creator proposed... wait for it... stitchpunk ?! :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

As far as my own opinions and preferences go, I am willing to appreciate only 5 punks - that is, the "Holy Five", the ones that deserve it the most and are the most style-defining. And those punks are : (Post)Cyberpunk, Biopunk (the futuristic ones), Clockpunk, Steampunk, Dieselpunk (the retro-themed ones).

But I do confess, that I have recently come up with a specific term for stories set in either "feudal future" space operas or full-blown fantasy worlds - "mishmashpunk". :D Hey, historical theming and anachronisms galore, and it has a little bit of all five punks... So it counts too... :)

Last edited:
I've always wanted to do electro-punk, when you have massive Tesla coils, and levitating cars, with a late 19th century feel. Just imagine if you gave Tesla the keys to reality and let him have fun.

elpresidentepunk a.k.a. bananapunk

Stereotypical banana republic-themed alternate or fantasy worlds... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D

The most pretentious attempt at kick-starting a new something-punk was during the recent premiere of 9. The creator proposed... wait for it... stitchpunk ?! :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

As far as my own opinions and preferences go, I am willing to appreciate only 5 punks - that is, the "Holy Five", the ones that deserve it the most and are the most style-defining. And those punks are : (Post)Cyberpunk, Biopunk (the futuristic ones), Clockpunk, Steampunk, Dieselpunk (the retro-themed ones).

But I do confess, that I have recently come up with a specific term for stories set in either "feudal future" space operas or full-blown fantasy worlds - "mishmashpunk". :D Hey, historical theming and anachronisms galore, and it has a little bit of all five punks... So it counts too... :)

Never heard of this 9 thing, odd.

I'd eliminate biopunk from your list. It just doesn't really fit in with anywhere, there's never been biopunk as the predominant future imagage, its just some alternative thing that occasionally pops up.
I would add in its place atom punk- i.e. 1950s sci fi where everything is shiny and nice and atom powered.

anyone know of any good dieselpunk stories on the site, the net, or published in general?

Well, these guys can probably help you out.

I suppose you could go back to the first thing that used the name “dieselpunk,” the core rulebook for the RPG Children of the Sun. Sort of imagine it as Arcanam eighty years later, and you’ll have the idea. There’s also Isotox Studios’ Iron Grip games, which are set in a sort of Napoleonic world with WW2-level technology (most of which was drawn by the guy who did the pictures for Leviathan, by the way).

As for books, well, that’s kind of a problem. At this point, your best bet is to look for stories that deal with PoMo takes on interwar pulp, decayed industrial settings, alternate history set in the interwar-WW2 period, or fantastic reimaginings of said period.

Franco, resucita! Mecanismo te necesita.

No, de broma. Robo-Franco es mi Caudillo, siendo la union perfecta, en la imagen de la union que subsiste en la santissima trinidad, de valores hispanas espirituales y potencias mecanicas. Cara al sol y petroleo blanco!

Last edited: