Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, B_Munro! Love the map, its very very cool, I like the color choice in particular, works well. However one question, why isn't the Mississippi taken?

It was, during the initial stages of the invasion. Lots and lots of depth charges and concentrated toxins since then, and there's a mass of electrified submarine netting and a lot of very brave frogmen and bathysphere scouts with lights on the upriver side of the nets.

Bruce

Sounds like a Mary Sue to me.

This is why I wont read Lovecraft.
You know that frowny-stare face, a kind of "what did you say?" expression? My face has that exact look to it.

1. A Mary Sue is an author insert, an embodiment of wish fulfillment, an idealized person, a plethora of different things. Cthulhu doesn't meet any of those definitions besides "Mary Sue as Protagonist You Don't Like", and even then Cthulhu is not the protagonist.

2. By even referring to Cthulhu as a character, you're missing the point. Death (when not personified) is never treated as a character. It just happens. Cthulhu is never treated as a character, either. He/it/she is a goddamn force of nature, a being so vast and powerful that Lovecraft generally avoided giving a complete description of the thing in any of his stories, so as lessen perceptions of him/it being a character. Cthulhu doesn't do things. Cthulhu just happens, like thunderstorms or death.

3. Goddamn read a story and then make a judgement.

You know that frowny-stare face, a kind of "what did you say?" expression? My face has that exact look to it.

1. A Mary Sue is an author insert, an embodiment of wish fulfillment, an idealized person, a plethora of different things. Cthulhu doesn't meet any of those definitions besides "Mary Sue as Protagonist You Don't Like", and even then Cthulhu is not the protagonist.

2. By even referring to Cthulhu as a character, you're missing the point. Death (when not personified) is never treated as a character. It just happens. Cthulhu is never treated as a character, either. He/it/she is a goddamn force of nature, a being so vast and powerful that Lovecraft generally avoided giving a complete description of the thing in any of his stories, so as lessen perceptions of him/it being a character. Cthulhu doesn't do things. Cthulhu just happens, like thunderstorms or death.

3. Goddamn read a story and then make a judgement.

Basically, either Mary Sues don't work that way or Cthulhu doesn't work that way. And what's so Mary Sueish about Cthulhu? Yes he's powerful, but then again, he's a goddamn god. And even then, there's more powerful Outer Gods and Great Old Ones than Cthulhu.

Why is there a debate on H.P. Lovecraft's 'mythos' stretching over three pages on this Thread? Dear God, someone's going to bring up Ayn Rand and Memento soon, aren't they?

Just finished this today. It's supposed to be 1750 or thereabouts. Yeah, it's probably not perfect, but I've never been that great on perfecting borders. But I tried. I'm sure I misplaced all kinds of tribes, too, so any suggestions for that would be welcome too!

The World, Anno Domini 1750

(Made it a link because it really is a huge map... Map courtesy of Civfanatics.net's NES forum. They really have some great base maps for some of their games, I swear by them)

Thande

Donor
Just finished this today. It's supposed to be 1750 or thereabouts. Yeah, it's probably not perfect, but I've never been that great on perfecting borders. But I tried. I'm sure I misplaced all kinds of tribes, too, so any suggestions for that would be welcome too!

The World, Anno Domini 1750

(Made it a link because it really is a huge map... Map courtesy of Civfanatics.net's NES forum. They really have some great base maps for some of their games, I swear by them)

That's pretty nifty, and it's nice to see a different world basemap.

I agree... I've enjoyed making maps for a really long time and I've always favored larger ones over the smaller ones. I guess because you can fit a lot more details in. Especially good for the messy days of Renaissance and Baroque Europe -- Italy and Germany have never looked quite as nice.

Susano

Banned
Okay, I appreciate doing the HRE at this scale is difficult, but funnily enough you made it even more balkankised as really was :D

I've been using and advertising the Civfanatics NES map for ages :). Symphony D. has made some pretty amazing base maps, I recommend checking out the one with every city over 80k population in the world marked.

Haha, I wouldn't think that even possible, Susano :p

I guess I did go a bit crazy North of Bavaria... but in my defense it is somewhat difficult to find a reasonably good map of the HRE. I used this as a base.

Ah well, it's all in good fun! Doing Germany is actually my favorite part of any map before the Napoleonic wars.

I've been using and advertising the Civfanatics NES map for ages :). Symphony D. has made some pretty amazing base maps, I recommend checking out the one with every city over 80k population in the world marked.

Yeah, he has made some pretty cool maps... I don't really like the one with cities marked on it though... makes it look quite cluttered. I remember back before Symphony D came around, and they used the maps made by Jason -- I liked that style better for placing cities, but maybe that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.