Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietzsche

Banned
I don't know who he is...

Eh, he was a horror fiction writer of the 20s and 30s, he's the father of the Great Old Ones(Cthulhu, other such terrible things) and the Outer Gods(The things the Great Old Ones serve. Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath, Hastur and the list goes on). In his work, we, humanity, have absolutely no chance.

Why? They're litterally infinitely more powerful and...err...everything, than we are. Perceiving them is enough to cause death or madness. But, they work on time scales of millions, billions of years, and operate on an infinite number of dimensions. However, when they do decide to do something(or in Cthulhu's case, wake up when the light of certain stars are no longer poisonous to his form), we're all going to be eaten. The best hope for an individual is to be eaten first.

The map seems to indicate that that is the maxium extent of the invasion, and that we do indeed win in the end.

It says at the bottom of the map that what you see is the maximum extent of the Deep One's advance. So that means the humans do win in the end, after how long is difficult to say.

I am guessing the Deep Ones were not expecting nuclear weapons or such stiff resistance in the mountains and deserts of the surface.

The World; 1975; World War III is about to begin.

Soviet Wank 1975.PNG

Eh, he was a horror fiction writer of the 20s and 30s, he's the father of the Great Old Ones(Cthulhu, other such terrible things) and the Outer Gods(The things the Great Old Ones serve. Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath, Hastur and the list goes on). In his work, we, humanity, have absolutely no chance.

Why? They're litterally infinitely more powerful and...err...everything, than we are. Perceiving them is enough to cause death or madness. But, they work on time scales of millions, billions of years, and operate on an infinite number of dimensions. However, when they do decide to do something(or in Cthulhu's case, wake up when the light of certain stars are no longer poisonous to his form), we're all going to be eaten. The best hope for an individual is to be eaten first.

Doesn't work like that. See, just by thinking he can kill you, swallow your soul and warp time and space. We're boned.

I hate this misconception. The Cthulhu Mythos isn't hopeless because we have no chance, it is hopeless because there is no point. With enough time and technology we could indeed defeat the likes of Cthulhu and Hastur. Hell, Cthulhu is just the Space Pope when you get right down to it. But it is all pointless because someday Azathoth will wake up and the universe will pop like a soap bubble and with as much import.

OTOH, consider the atomic bombs dropped on the cities.

I'm assuming

1. If Cthulhu awakes, we're boned. [1] But he's still sleeping.

2. The Deep Ones are made of meat, as are their monster servants. The bigger they are, the better military targets they make. And their weapons are mostly of the pointy metal thing variety. There are billions of them, which does give them a bit of an advantage initially in thinly-armed areas.

3. Sure, they have black magic. But Arkham asylum and various third-world witch-doctors are on that. (Remember in the 'Shadow over Innsmouth" the Deep Ones in the Pacific were baffled by a bunch of Polynesians with star-stones).

4. Shoggoths are, admittedly, a problem - which calls for high explosives followed by flamethrower mop-up. The shoggoths that serve the Deep Ones are neither as smart nor as huge as those under Antarctica. (If they were, it would soon be by bye deep ones).

5. The eventual outcome is MAD. We can't find all their cities, and irradiating the oceans would kill us too. Also, they can summon the Outer Gods - which will kill everyone save Cthulhu and any other Great Old Ones lying about. (hey, if a half-non human hillbilly with access to a good library could do it..)

(My assumption is that a modus vivendi will be arrived at before the world is stripped clean and yanked into a violet-lit infinite abyss).

Bruce

[1] My personal no-prize theory? If the Big C just needs somebody to knock on his door for him to wake up, why all the elaborate cultist stuff? No, he slept through the rising and sinking of R'Yleh: he just grew close enough to wakefulness to kill the guys who messed up his ressurrection with a materalized dream of himself: just good ol' ectoplasm, not cosmic monster-flesh. The actual Cthulhu sneers at speedboats. :)

I hate this misconception. The Cthulhu Mythos isn't hopeless because we have no chance, it is hopeless because there is no point. With enough time and technology we could indeed defeat the likes of Cthulhu and Hastur. Hell, Cthulhu is just the Space Pope when you get right down to it. But it is all pointless because someday Azathoth will wake up and the universe will pop like a soap bubble and with as much import.

Azathoth = the anti-Brahmah? :)

Bruce

Another of my primitive Weimar Survival maps that lazily lack Saarland and Danzig. This is what I call "stereotype nightmare fuel"... by the way, I'm from Württemberg.

reichsmoral.png

Hey, B_Munro! Love the map, its very very cool, I like the color choice in particular, works well. However one question, why isn't the Mississippi taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.