Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Woo hoo, an update!

Well that's not ominous at all. Chalk me up for curious about what you have coming down the pipe here.

View attachment 388562
The price seems a bit steep... oh wait, I can get the paper back for about fifteen bucks. When I have a little extra money I think I may pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up about it.

Anywho, great update, and nice to see that the African Texan community won't be getting the shaft now that they're free. True they have a ways to go, but things are looking up.

As for future chapters, I'm curious about whats going on up in Deseret. If it hasn't already happened the big Bonanza/the silver boom on the Comstock Load should be getting its legs under it, and that will radically shake things up in the Commonwealth and in not to long after Texas as a whole, so I'd think that is worth delving into.

Eleven thousands for a hardback version?! What the heck is within that book? Even if it was autographed by the author, first edition, and in pristine condition, it probably couldn't go for more than 30 or 40 dollars. That's crazy@

I honestly do recommend that you read it if you have the chance. I had to buy it for my Texas History class and it was a really fascinating read going over an aspect of Texan life and one of the few success stories for Blacks in the Reconstruction Era that almost no one seems to know or talk about. While the chapter is obviously divergent from OTL, the Freedom Colonies did exist in the late 19th century and if you make an effort you can drive around central and western Texas and search for the remaining colonies where their descendants still live. The Freedom Colonies are an overall good thing as it had Texas become one of the better states for Blacks in the post-Confederacy with 1/3rd of the Black population owning private land in 1890. The problem is that the rest of the Black population had a far higher birth rate and thus there were fewer Blacks born into the settlements, and by the turn of the century Jim Crow was truly settling in and a combination of bureaucratic tape and the small amount of public land left prevented more colonies from being created. If you were a Black Texan living within a Freedom Colony you practically had the greatest living standard of a Black Texan until the 1960's.

I'll make sure to write an update about the Deseret soon. The Silver Boom is about to begin soon with miners really starting to swarm the Commonwealth after the war and the finishing of the railroads. This will lead to the emergence of Byran types who advocate for free silver, Texas until now relying on the California Gold. Also some interesting politics within Deseret will begin to set Texas on somewhat of a political revolution.

As others have said, good update and welcome back.

Personally, I think it'd be nice to get an update focused on France and how they're doing, and what effects a more successful Napoleon III has had on their empire building.

I've been wanting to do the Second Empire for quite a while now so I'll be sure to post something once I get North America settled.

Nice look at African Texan Civil Rights here. So the situation is poor overall, but there are bright spots with the Freedom Colonies and the coming 'Freedom Counties'. I worry a bit that the community will end up rather divided between the three groups of Rural(sharecroppers and descendants), the skilled urban workers, and the Freedom colonists.

While the lack of a majority ruling ethnicity helps the fact is also that the small percentage the freedmen make up in the population will make it easier to ignore their plight now that the controversy of slavery as an institution has been resolved.

So the situation is poor but the outlook is good for future improvements.

Surprised General Johnston lead the antislaver forces, thought he was tied down as military governor of the new territory.

As for post ideas:

1. How US Northern Culture is shaping up ITTL post civil war.

2. The state pf the British Empire, including the major colonies and places like Canada.

3. A look at how France is developing internally under this stronger Empire, and the way its colonies and foreign relations are thus coming along.

4. Post for Serbia, Montenegro, Greece and other Balkan nations.

5. State of Polynesia and Pacific.

Like you said there will be a cultural divide between the Rural Blacks, Urban Blacks, and Freedom Colonists. Each will have entirely different cultures and there won't be much of an overall Black identity within Texas like how there is within America today. The situation has its ups and downs but its not too terrible of a situation.

Due to near future events most Texans will pay notice to the social situation of the Blacks and help them out legally, but as it's said in the update fiscally there won't be any major efforts to give them high education or a bump in economic development. This isn't really out of any racial bias, but rather unintended neglect. After all if there is legislation to create something like the Freedmen's Bureau for Blacks then the Germans will want their own economic benefits, which will lead to the Tejanos wanting benefits, and the French, Czech, Indians, Chinese, etc. In order to keep racial tensions low Congress can't play favorites and the different minorities have to rely on their Congressmen to pass laws that at the very least will favor them the most alongside helping others. Here Texas' heterogeneity will have some interesting positives and negatives compared to America's homogeneity.

It's been so long I forgot about Johnston being the Governor, I switched it to Travis.

I'll be sure to do all of those ideas sometime in the near future.

If you were a Black Texan living within a Freedom Colony you practically had the greatest living standard of a

Interesting, were these towns unique for Texas or did they exist in some capacity in the southeast. Was it only because Texas had land to give in comparison to the old south?

I wonder about the fate of Siam ITTL. With the British Empire slightly weaker, and propping up Qing China, the British may not press on their Western border regions after the likely fall of Burma. France may also be less ambitious in Indochina having already invested heavily in Formosa, Hainan, and the Taiping Empire.

Also it occurs to me France after securing Vietnam may employ its seeming practice of strategic colonies and cultivating allies. Perhaps Naploeon III will in exchange for Cochinchina and an alliance against Britain help Siam develop like the French have done with Texas and the Yucatan?

Do an update on Russia. I'm rooting for the Czardom!

Sure, we'll focus on Alexander's reign and the extent that his more successful Pan-Slavism has on the world.

Interesting, were these towns unique for Texas or did they exist in some capacity in the southeast. Was it only because Texas had land to give in comparison to the old south?

Freedom Colonies were a mostly unique thing for Texas though in some of the other southern states there were some examples of autonomous Black communities, though these didn't last very long and were faced with harsher environments. The main reason it happened in Texas was because most of the state was still uninhabited in the 1860's and after the Civil War the state was giving away lands for dirt cheap. Most of the Freedom Colonies OTL existed thanks to Blacks obtaining lands that whites had overlooked or deemed to be of poor quality, spending time on the lands and cultivating them to be successful farms.

I wonder about the fate of Siam ITTL. With the British Empire slightly weaker, and propping up Qing China, the British may not press on their Western border regions after the likely fall of Burma. France may also be less ambitious in Indochina having already invested heavily in Formosa, Hainan, and the Taiping Empire.

Also it occurs to me France after securing Vietnam may employ its seeming practice of strategic colonies and cultivating allies. Perhaps Naploeon III will in exchange for Cochinchina and an alliance against Britain help Siam develop like the French have done with Texas and the Yucatan?

Siam will mostly be the same as OTL for the near future but they'll have warmer relations with the French. After the Great War, much like most other countries, it's history will change dramatically.

Another post could be a "Sunset, Sunrise" Post. Its been established Houston dies in 1865, so a post marking the deaths of the Founders along with brief descriptions of their later lives, and their respective legacies. Prince Karl, Austin and Louis Phillipe as other examples of beyond the Presidents.

And in balance to the passing of the old guard a few teasers of the figures posed top make their mark on the coming Wild West Era.

Those Freedom Colonies were something I hadn't heard of before this, and kudos for explaining it. This is an interesting way forward after slavery in Texas. BTW, like that you included Barbara Jordan, one of the more underrated Texans of OTL (and a role model for many African-American women, methinks); hope she goes further than she did OTL...

A shame about South Africa, although that was always going to be a mess in any TL...

Good chapter, and welcome back, @Kaiser Chris...

One possibility I could see for the future is Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica reforming the Union in Central America.

Even if relations are currently warm with the Yucatan things can change history has shown. Also the French occupation of Veracruz has reignited for the time fears of Colonialism in the region, and Central America recently felt the blight of William Walker. The American conquest of Cuba that has been foreshadowed may be the catalyst for such a movement to gain traction.

And it would be nice to see a stronger state in the region to avoid total Yucatan domination.

Speaking of which I am wondering if Spain would loose the Philippines in the coming Spanish American war. The USA does not have nearly the presence of OTL in the Pacific, and most of their commercial interests there are still through Texan California I believe? Especially if the Americans lack Hawai'i the Philippines may not really be on their shopping list at that point.

Maybe Manila will gain independence early?

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

How are Native Americans treated in Oregon now that they're part of the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Sitting Bull will get aid from the British if he escapes to Canada ITTL? The British seeing his people as additional forces to protect their holdings?

Happy 4th!

Hmm, given the USA's bigger investment in Liberia ITTL any chance the US would also demand Spain's Equatorial colonies in Africa after they defeat Spain ITTL?