DBWI The Crusader State of Egypt

Orieche15

Banned
The 4th crusade was one of those rare moments in history where
everything came together the crusader fleet landed in eqypt and
thanks to the disunity of the country were able to win. The fragile
state was able to continue on with the support of the Byzantine empire.
Sadly for the crusaders they never did regain the holyland, Ebypt was
the only crusader state to survive into present day. Still I have to ask
how differnt would our world be if the forth crusade had failed or worse
yet been diverted to some other end.

To call modern Egypt a 'crusader state' is stretching the definition IMO. But you are right of course - sometimes history gies down very unlikely paths. Who would have believed that a private army run by a handful of noblemen could have done what the forces of some of Christendom's greatest kings couldn't? And the appearance of the Mongols just when the armies of the Mamluke amirs were poised to retake the delta is almost enough to make you fall into the heresy of historical providentialism. If the crusade had failed, I think it's likely that Islam would still have been weakened, but it is unlikely that Europe could have profited from its weakness the same way. Neither do I think the reach of the Catholic church would be as great as it is today. On the other hand, if it found itself limited to a smaller area, it might relapse into the abuses of the Cluniac era. The consequences of that are wellnigh unthinkable.

Egypt

I don't think that the Crusaders could have held Egypt in the long term. The Venetians and Genoese would have demanded commercial concessions, as they did in other crusader states such as the kingdom of Cyprus. The Coptic population would have been hostile, because they were not Roman Catholic. The Muslim population would have been rebellious.

Orieche15

Banned
I don't think that the Crusaders could have held Egypt in the long term. The Venetians and Genoese would have demanded commercial concessions, as they did in other crusader states such as the kingdom of Cyprus. The Coptic population would have been hostile, because they were not Roman Catholic. The Muslim population would have been rebellious.

OCC I may be new to the boards but I belive a Double blind what if
suposes that a thing was successful and we write as if it has already
happened. That said just because it was successful doesnt mean that
its a super power or even a successful state. OCC