Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia as King of Spain

King Charles II of Spain was childless.
Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia was in line to succeed on account of the dowry of his great-grandmother, Infanta Catherine Michelle of Spain not being paid on her marriage in 1582 to Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy. That marriage based Victor Amadeus II's claim to the Spanish throne.
Charles II chooses Victor Amadeus as his heir.

Well, I've just read something about this person and he seemed to me an ambitious though capable general-king. I think this turn of events wouldn't avoid Spanish War of Succession(Habsburgs won't be happy about that decision), but we could see an interesting situation.(What will Phillip d'Anjou do? Which claimant will France support? and Great Britain?)
BTW, I think it's a very good PoD for a really interesting TL. If you do it, I'll be quickly subscribed ;)

This is an interesting one because VA did have a claim but really a weaker claim than Philip or Charles. However, Carlos II was annoyed about the Powers
negotiating to partition the inheritance without even consulting him. So, perhaps he anoints VA as a double snub to France and Austria.

This suits the maritime powers interest just fine as they have an independent dynasty in control and do not have to get involved in the (possible) emerging conflict between France and Austria.

However, one unintended consequence could be a Franco-Austrian detente or alliance as they agree to peel off segments of the Spanish possessions for themselves. Neither can conquer Spain by themselves but they can certainly cooperate to effect a partition.

Naples and Sicily to Philip.

Milan and the Spanish Netherlands to Charles.

I alluded to Habsburg/Bourbon marriages in the wake of this agreement in a post that went over like a lead balloon. Any ideas?

I tend to agree, that France and Austria are likely to cooperate, when both of them are passed over in favour of Victor Amadeus of Savoy.

Any arrangement could for instance also include Lorraine-Bar and Savoy-Piedmont. Victor Amadeus might be allowed to succeed in Spain, but in return has to give up his ancestral lands.

Savoy and Lorraine to France, what to Austria? Parts of Bavaria make sense. Or secularized Salzburg, Berchtesgaden. Are Venice, Venetia, Dalmatia possible at this point?

If shameless horse trading is happening then surely Austria can be bought. An alliance with France has numerous advantages including the neutralization of Bavaria and Saxony (as in after 1763) and possibly even of Prussia.

Would Austria really be on board with Piemonte going to France?

I guess not, I think Austria probably wants Milan & Piedmont. Savoy proper and Lorraine could go to France; and the Southern Netherlands might be used to compensate the house of Lorraine.

I guess not, I think Austria probably wants Milan & Piedmont. Savoy proper and Lorraine could go to France; and the Southern Netherlands might be used to compensate the house of Lorraine.

Now there's an idea....

Was the House of Carignan, that is, the junior Savoy line also descended from the Spanish Hapsburgs? If so, that presents another interesting possibility, and potentially with less horse trading.

They were, though they descent from youngest (5th) son of duke Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy and Infanta Catherina Micaela of Spain (daughter of Philip II of Spain), the Savoy claims came from this marriage.

However the French Bourbons and Austrian Habsburg will still both want compensation, so IMHO horse trading is unavoidable.

Last edited:
They were, though they descent from youngest (5th) son of duke Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy and Infanta Catherina Micaela of Spain (daughter of Philip II of Spain), they Savoy claims came from this marriage.

However the French Bourbons and Austrian Habsburg will still both want compensation, so IMHO horse trading is unavoidable.

True, but what would the Carignans be able to secure them?