Astonishing the World, Mk2: Kinda New, Somewhat Improved!!

ASTONISHING THE WORLD mk2
“Kinda New, Somewhat Improved!!”

In the year fifty-four of the nineteenth century, much of Europe descended into war. This war, known to us as the Crimean, was begun by Russia and the Sublime Porte (called Turkish Empire), and drew the Turkish allies of the British and French Empires. For a time, it seemed that all Europe would become involved in what would be the first real War in Europe since Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo, near three decades ago. However, Prussia declared neutrality in the conflict, and Austria, expected to be on the Russian side, refused to participate. Russia fell after three years as a result, and was forced to give up its claims on the Turkish lands.

But history is fickle beyond our comprehension, often seeming to sway one way before suddenly flicking to the other, or even switching onto an entirely new path. Very often, a path will emerge seemingly out of nowhere, the path having silently progressed for years. It could be described in terms of rocks on a mountain-side, collecting slowly over years, until one day a single pebble is shifted infinitesimally by the wind, and a Swiss village is wiped out as a result of the consequential landslide. Sometimes, this even could be a literal description of the course of events.

The Austrian-ruled Kingdom of Galicia-Lodomeria was notoriously unstable, mainly due to the racial tensions within the region. Just six years before the war began, in the Year of Revolution, uprisings had hit Galicia. A Polish National Council and a Ruthenian Supreme Council had been formed by nationalists in the city of Lemberg, only to be thwarted by Vienna. It would not take much to reignite these fires – a single pebble, perhaps, thrown at the wrong person at the wrong time. At sunrise the populace would be at peace, but by sunset outright war could have been declared. Riots are regrettably easy to cause. It would take some time for troops to arrive from Vienna, and by then the entire Kingdom could be enflamed in war, rising up to cast out the German oppressors. But the city was situated closely to the Russian border, and Russia had no particular interest in seeing Polish nationalists seize a kingdom. Moreover, they had troops nearby, what with the war and everything. The Tsar could agree to aid the Austrians in suppressing the rebellion in exchange for their aid in the war… And why not, after all the help Russia had leant the Habsburgs in securing their realms? The Turks would hardly be a great opponent, after all...

~~~

Well, it's back! Comments?

Last edited:
Well, its a prologue. What is there yet to comment about? ;)

Seconded, my Hessian fellow supporter of the HRE(GN)... ;)

Although... this may turn out to be an Anti-Habsburg TL, so you may have to restrain the pro-Austrian lobby... (which includes me, by the way... ;))

I'm confused. Is there a really early POD which makes Galicia different than historical? It wasn't particularly unstable in the 1850s and wasn't a kingdom. Also "racial tensions" is inaccurate and anachronistic.

Also, I'm not sure why the Hapsburgs would invite Russia to supress a Slavicrebellion they could easily handle themselves, and why they would enter a war on a side they had no common interests with.

In general, regions where rebellions or revolutions occurred and were utterly crushed are not prepared to start a second round for quite some time.

But I will say that this is extremely well-written. Very elegant prose.

Abdul - Russia put down the rebellions in 1848, and I assumed they would do likewise for the 1854, as they have troops in the area and would presumably be interested in both suppressing rebellions in the region (think Poland) and securing further Austrian gratitude. The area was put down quite brutally IOTL, and I presumed that this was rather like a rusty spring - when you take your foot of it, it has a chance of snapping back up and hurting your foot quite badly, if I may be so cruel as to butcher that analogy completely.

I think Galicia was a Kingdom - a quick Google Search brings up my own post as a source for this :)rolleyes:) and mainly Wikipedia, but also the Jewish Web Index (how wonderfully obscure!). The Wiki page has quite a few sources, and here's a contemporary map labelling the "Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria", so I'll carry on with my baseless assumption until proved wrong, at which point I will pretend I was right anyway. Such is life.

A teaser map, which may or may not be preserved as canon to the TL depending on how angry it makes people. Feel free to jump blindly to conclusions! :)

ATW - Pact of Lemberg.GIF

Oh look, another total destruction of the Ottoman Empire TL. What a shock.:rolleyes:

Abdul - Russia put down the rebellions in 1848, and I assumed they would do likewise for the 1854, as they have troops in the area and would presumably be interested in both suppressing rebellions in the region (think Poland) and securing further Austrian gratitude. The area was put down quite brutally IOTL, and I presumed that this was rather like a rusty spring - when you take your foot of it, it has a chance of snapping back up and hurting your foot quite badly, if I may be so cruel as to butcher that analogy completely.

I think Galicia was a Kingdom - a quick Google Search brings up my own post as a source for this :)rolleyes:) and mainly Wikipedia, but also the Jewish Web Index (how wonderfully obscure!). The Wiki page has quite a few sources, and here's a contemporary map labelling the "Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria", so I'll carry on with my baseless assumption until proved wrong, at which point I will pretend I was right anyway. Such is life.

A teaser map, which may or may not be preserved as canon to the TL depending on how angry it makes people. Feel free to jump blindly to conclusions! :)

MrP

Banned

Dammit, man! There's no way that the USN could defeat the RN in a war in this time period! It's ludicrous! :mad:

;) obviously. Interesting times ahead, I see . . .

Thank you for complying with my request quite so magnificently.

There are no conclusions to jump to since you carefully labelled everything. A silly map unless ASBs devour the entire populations of Britain, France, and Vienna, since this is Hapsburg suicide.

And good luck to Greece.

There are no conclusions to jump to since you carefully labelled everything. A silly map unless ASBs devour the entire populations of Britain, France, and Vienna, since this is Hapsburg suicide.

And good luck to Greece.

Ah, yes, I see the problem now. Here's the corrected map. Is that to your satisfaction? :)

ATW - Pact of Lemberg.GIF