Quirks you put in your timelines

What little AH touches do you put in your timelines even if they're not related to your POD, because they don't have a great effect on your TL?

I haven't written many TLs yet, but as long as mine are post-Mexican-American War, I'd include the U.S. annexing Baja California as a territory in mine. Even if my POD is set in the 20th century? Why? Aside from some irrational Congressional fears about Baja upsetting the slavery balance, there's no reason for the U.S. to let Mexico keep a peninsula of desert and mountains. I just have the U.S. have it as a long-lasting territory, with perhaps more Hispanic residents than most states, but not much happens from it. In any case, this is my example of a "quirk" I'd like to put in my AHs.

I always include Prime Minister Joh Bjelke-Peterson. Well, except in The Lunar Dream, but that would just be silly.

In my first TL, Province of Darwin, I included it just to show how dystopic Australia had become. In The Legacy Continues, I included it even though it was almost impossible due to the POD because, again, I wanted a backlash against the Wiradjuri. In Advance Australia, I included it because I modelled my fascist Australia on Julio-Claudian Rome, and he was the best candidate for a Caligula. And in Well May We Say...well, read on...

It's because I write dystopic or screwed up Australias as my main interest. Indonesian-occupied Australia, divided Australia, fascist Australia, civil war Australia. And so I choose the man who has been dubbed by the latte left as the manifestation of political evil: Sir Joh himself.

Hapsburg

Banned
Well, I always like to have an Israel in Eritrea scenario play out. Except in some of my TLs.
In most of my 1848-revolutions alternates, I have a united federal Germany with some kind of way to include Austria and Bohemia, while Hungary almost always goes off to form the "Carpathian Empire", and Italy unites under Charles Albert, as Emperor of a federal Italy. Those are some funny mainstays.

A fun thing I have in a lot of my TLs and mape is, somehow, the Habsburgs come out, if not on top, then pretty well-off. Especially in my 1967+ TL, where they become the Terran imperial family.

NomadicSky

Banned
I like to give Alaska to Canada along with a green version of their flag.

canadaflag.png

Well, things I often add to my scenario's and concept TL's, are developments that result in obsecure religions, sects and religious movements doing better, especially in the Middle East.

And I like to work with scenario's where the Dutch do better and where North America ends up balkanized as an indirect result of this. (in those scenario's, the survival of the New Netherlands splits the New England colonies from the southern colonies, with as a result that New England ends up as a separate independant republic. Originally I wasn't really interested in the possible consequences that the survival of the New Netherlands would have on the developments of North America, but then I saw that those consequences have some interesting AH potential.)

HueyLong

Banned
And I like to work with scenario's where the Dutch do better and where North America ends up balkanized as an indirect result of this. (in those scenario's, the survival of the New Netherlands splits the New England colonies from the southern colonies, with as a result that New England ends up as a separate independant republic. Originally I wasn't really interested in the possible consequences that the survival of the New Netherlands would have on the developments of North America, but then I saw that those consequences have some interesting AH potential.)

That was basically the end idea of my first TL attempt.

ninebucks

Banned
I always like to throw in an independent Canton. Plus, I'm usually pretty nice to Iran, especially at the expense of Russia.

I usually end up with the US being different than it is OTL, either through being broken up, bigger, or a monarchy (usually the last one).

I'm a big fan of mega-Germanies. "Revolution South" involved a German victory in WWI, the Afrikaner TL involves a liberal mega-Germany in 1848, and I think I've got another somewhere.

Faeelin

Banned
The Ottoman Empire overthrown as Russians, Greeks, and Bulgarians march on Ankara after liberating the peoples of the Balkans.

More seriously, a better China.

Last edited:
With my impressive record of two (2) big TL's, popular guys goes crazy. My Rasputin TL has FDR as a wierd dictator in Mexico and Ghandi and the lesbian motorcycle gang, well you get the picture. I think wierd TL's based on resonable POD's is funny.

Alcuin

Banned
I've only written one but I like to put things in there that look ASBish until you look closely and realise it came within a hairsbreadth of happening (such as Battista being a communist or the Israelis assassinating Konrad Adenauer). I also like using people who are famously dead after their deaths in OTL (such as having Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper as President). Oh yes, and I like L5 space habitats, so I'll always have them if they're possible.

Japhy

Banned
Not that any of mine ever get out of my notebooks and onto the internet, but Seaplane Tenders and Zepplin Carriers always last until partway through WWII as main weapons of war

maverick

Banned
-Well, I usually include people like Chancellor Franz Josef Strauss, Italo Luder as Argentinean President in the 1980s, Lloyd Bentsen/John Glenn ticket in the 1970s/1980s.
-I also used a Cuban war in 1961 in two TLs-
-Unusual presidents, such as Walton Walker, Joe Foss, etc.
-TR is always president.
-Minor amounts of pro-German bias
-Falkland war always avoided, and the RN sold piece by piece to India and Australia
-Some Catholic bias
-Michael Foot as British PM
-Peron as President
-etc...

Not that I ever put it on the internet

I always try to avoid big countries and empires, and when they do eventually pop up, I make sure they collapse within a century or two.

Now that I think about it, I beat up on Southern European nations alot. In one TL, France and Spain go fascist (until they lose a war and territory) while Italy becomes temporarily theocratic. Later, France is spilt into a couple smaller nations, including a more Germanic nation in the northeast, Brittany, an independant Communist Paris and surrounding regions, and a decidedly Mediterranean southern France.