The Franco-American War of 1798

(This is very sketchy right now, so feel free to comment and correct. Not gonna write much actual AH yet so I can see what people think about it all...)

The XYZ Affair

As the relations between the US and France worsen, news of this diplomatic insult shocks the United States. Privateer combat intensifies along with American outrage at this new act. The young nation begins to forget the lessons of Washington when France continues to attack American shipping.

The final straw comes when French privateers begin hitting US ships near major ports on the Eastern seaboard, with rumors saying there were French privateers as far out as New York.

Soon after July 7, the United States declared war on the new government of France, and began to seek British support.

MacCaulay

Banned
Give me a day or two to load this one up. Then I think I can come up with something. The US and the French were already fighting an undeclared naval war at that point. The US would probably use it as an excuse to go Indian hunting with more force, though I'm not sure how well they would have accomplished it.

MacCaulay

Banned
Straha: You'd be suprised how good it probably WON'T be. The more I researched for the Louisiana War thread, the more I realized that Americans aren't really in any shape to do anything for a long time.

And if the US declares war on France, what exactly are they planning to attack? I don't see how it does more than legalize what they were already doing with the Quasi-War.

Straha

Banned
You're forgetting that the US since it wold be against france would have royal navy support

You're forgetting that the US since it wold be against france would have royal navy support
Hm, that would probably make getting support from France harder, but wasn't Saint-Dominigue loyal during this period (and with a LOT of French troops hanging out)

MacCaulay

Banned
So...the Royal Navy...Britain decides to outfit an expeditionary force to go island hopping in the Caribbean. The US starts it's wars against the inland tribes earlier, and starts hacking away over the Appalachians in more force than in OTL.

Anyone: What were the Great Lakes doing at this point? I know the French still effectively ran alot of trading posts that were officially British.

RECONCILIATION AND RETALIATION

By 1799, America was rising to the new challenges of the war. Boxed in on the continent, with Spain and France on her borders to the south and west, the Federalists used the promise of new lands to entice the Democratic-Republicans into supporting the war efforts. Alexander Hamilton, the mastermind behind the Federalist Party, hopes to use the prospect of new lands as a way to build up support in the West.

And so, the American armies are quickly rallied around old Revolutionary era-commanders, though Washington himself does not reprise the role in the Whiskey Rebellion, he spends the last of his days ill and bedridden in Mount Vernon, where he dies on December 14.

But the Americans do find one particularly powerful friend across the Atlantic in Great Britain, which is eager to take a chunk out of France's holdings in North America. Though some in England are skeptical of letting the US become too powerful, negotiations throughout 1799 start to slowly redraw the future maps of America.

Hungry for new land but wary of the instability in Hispanola, the British launch attacks on Guadaloupe and the other French Carribbean possessions, while revolt starts to fester in Haiti. French troops are massed on the islands, and silently concede their continental territory in hopes of defending their lucrative island colonies.

But not all nations are happy with an American Louisiana. Spain, bound to France by treaty and interest, declares war on the Americans.

But the entire war exists more on the papers and pamphlets than it does in reality. Despite the Battle of Louisiana and skirmishes with Indians as American troops push into their 'new land', the Americans' actions at the time are more of an intricate land-grab than an actual military conflict.

In Florida, American militias raid Spanish troops and forts, but America doesn't have the troops to fully annex it, and Spain doesn't have the interests to devote large amounts of troops to take it.

For these reasons, 1799 is a year of political intrigue rather than military adventure in America.

In Europe, however, the war is shaping up to be something altogether different.

France was not in a good position at home. The Second Coalition, composed of the British, the Austrians, the Russians, the Ottomans, and to a negligible extent, the Americans, was pressing on France's colonies and capable of invading the French mainland itself. With promises of French victory at home and abroad, Napoleon Bonaparte stages his coup on November 2nd (the now infamous 11 Brumaire) and plots his response to the war effort. Tired of chaos at home and weak response to threats abroad, the people of France were widely in favor of their new leader, despite his less-than-democratic ascent.

MacCaulay

Banned
I'll be damned. That beats what I was thinking. I like it. I think I'm going to cook up some more 1812-esque what-ifs.

Great flow to the story!

Anaxagoras

Banned
As I recall, in 1798, Napoleon had assembled a powerful army of 30,000 in Marseilles, ready to sail for Egypt with a powerful fleet in support. If war had broken out with the Americans, perhaps he would have been sent against another target. But could the French have gotten such a force across the Atlantic?

They'd likely sail for Haiti or Guadaloupe... Whether or not the Brits let them leave the Med is a good question though.

Hamilton is a good leader to bring them through the war, and the Feds can likely lay claim to a few of the military guys who fight in it.

MacCaulay

Banned
Winfield Scott...Winfield Scott!

Winfield Scott, Andrew Jackson, and Zebulon Pike seem to be turning into my go to guys for this era.

THE OLD WORLD AT WAR
1799-1801

The effects of the new American front were first manifested here when France began to divert resources to their Carribbean colonies. But unfortunately, neither location received them. French relief was redirected from Egypt to Guadaloupe and Haiti, but instead found its end in the Mediterranean when faced with the guns of the British fleet.

Kleber, still desperate to evacuate Egypt, attempts to negotiate with the British and the Ottomans, but fails. Both of his adversaries know full well that there will be no reinforcements for him, and no hope of him putting up much of a fight if he refuses. The 2nd Coalition pushes in and defeats the French in Egypt once and for all. The new power vacuum does not last long. With the old Ottoman government gone and the new yet to arrive, Egyptians entertained thoughts for future independence.

Napoleon’s true interests lay in Europe first, and it was there where France won most of their victories. In Marengo, the French rallied to defeat the odds and the enemy, and put Brune in charge of the area while he prepared to strike at Austria. Combined with Moreau’s early summer attack across the Rhine, Austria decided to negotiate a peace. By early 1801, fighting on the continent was over, with separate peaces hammered out with other continental powers.

THE WAR IN THE WEST
1799-1802

Here, fighting still raged on. Because while the nations of Europe were satisfied; Britain was only beginning its campaigns in the Caribbean. Using superior naval power, the British strangled Guadeloupe of supplies and in 1800, it was theirs. In the smaller colonies, the British continued to win wars at sea and consolidate their power on land. And they wouldn’t make peace until that land was theirs.

Spain continued their fight with the US indirectly on the Louisiana front, for they lacked the troops to actually fight the US there. Similarly, even the US’s rapidly growing military could not march across the continent to attack Mexico. So Spain instead began providing arms and support to Indians, who knew that the farther the US advanced, the harder their lives would become.

In Florida, the US pressed on with the aid of the British navy, though their manpower was mainly militia, the Spanish did not fare much better. Throughout 1801, the fighting continued, and by 1802 it was de facto US territory.

Spain instead concentrated their forces in their Western lands and the islands, and the British moved in to dislodge them. Hispanola, however, remained firmly in French and Spanish hands. The British rallied troops to take the territory, but with news of slave insurrection growing in Haiti, nobody was quite eager to take on responsibility for the area.

In the US, even Jefferson began calling for a free nation stretching to the Pacific, and with no need for the Alien and Sedition Acts, the already-popular Federalists helped bring Adams back into office in 1800. The war was also having interesting consequences on the US economy. In 1798, inventor Eli Whitney demonstrated the utility of interchangeable parts to Congress. Now, with the war to increase demand, musket factories were springing up in the US. New England shipbuilding thrived with Congressional plans to expand the navy making up for the decrease in trade with France and Spain.