Christianity, Commerce and Civilization: A Scramble for Africa TL

Christianity, Commerce and Civilization: A Scramble for Africa TL
This is my first proper TL, so I hope you all enjoy it. The main POD for this is a different European approach to the colonization of Africa, but it also includes no Dreikaiserbund. This is the first installment:

Livingstone was dead and buried. But his call from beyond the grave for Europe to end the ‘new’ slave trade through Christianity, commerce and civilization was ringing throughout the royal halls of Europe. From London to Rome, from Lisbon to Vienna, foreign ministers and monarchs were drawing up plans to carve themselves their own little portion of the Dark Continent.

Vienna – 1873
Gyula Andrassy, foreign minister of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire was worried, Prussian unification of Germany without Austria two years ago and the Austrian defeat in 1866 had left Austria behind. The once great empire was stagnating and falling behind the other great powers. Perhaps a African colony could re-establish the Austro-Hungarian prestige…

Berlin – 1873
Bismarck’s attempts to form a Eastern cooperation bloc had failed. His Germany was now surrounded by possible enemies. His options were to try and exploit the family connection between Crown Prince Frederick and Queen Victoria to attempt to create an alliance with Britain or to try and convince Austro-Hungary to join an alternative alliance arrangement. In the meantime he had the business of that Doctor Livingstone’s call from beyond the grave to discuss with the Kaiser. Who, in his opinion, had shown to much interest in the Dark Continent since Livingstone’s funeral…
There will be more to come if people are interested.

Last edited:
You will have to wait and see. ;) (Through it will probably be a joint effort.)

That greatly complicates things. You'll need to have two governors of the colony, both agreeing on everything; the Austrian side will not elect to have a Hungarian do the job, the Hungarians would probably not be happy with a German doing the job.

Is there any precedence for this in OTL?

I like the idea of the TL so consider me subbed. :D:D

Also an Austro-Hungarian colony would probably be a place where large numbers of dissenting minorities would be sent.

As for the colonial administration perhaps some third route may be possible, such as a joint colonial office for the empire or appointing a governor that is neither German or Hungarian or one that is both.

Edit: As RyuDrago just pointed out about Bismark, does this mean that we won't see the Heligoland–Zanzibar Treaty, or will the strategic importance of Heligoland still be more important?

Last edited:
I am curious what the Austro-Hungarians will claim TTL in Africa. And Bismarck seems more thirsty for African lands...

I like the idea of the TL so consider me subbed. :D:D

Also an Austro-Hungarian colony would probably be a place where large numbers of dissenting minorities would be sent.

As for the colonial administration perhaps some third route may be possible, such as a joint colonial office for the empire or appointing a governor that is neither German or Hungarian or one that is both.

Edit: As RyuDrago just pointed out about Bismark, does this mean that we won't see the Heligoland–Zanzibar Treaty, or will the strategic importance of Heligoland still be more important?

Ooh, I think I will like this. Subscribed!
Thanks, guys. :D
Eh? The post states just the opposite. Bismarck thinks the Kaiser "...shows too much interest in the Dark Continent."
You've got it. The Kaiser wants colonies, Bismarck does but not so much. The next part will be up ASAP.

Last edited:
You gonna be posting any maps for this Ankh?

Also have fun with your first ever TL!!! :D
Yep, there will be maps.
Thanks, are you going to follow it.
In answer to the question on Heligoland, it will probably become German but not in exchange for Zanzibar.
The next part will be up at about 5:00pm GMT.

Part 2:
Family Ties:
Vienna – 1873 cont.
Andrassy entered the Emperor’s breakfast room, His Majesty Francis Joseph I was seated at the table and was clearly expecting him. His copy of the Times, lay by his plate un-read.
“Ah, Andrassy welcome,” he said, “ I understand that you wish to talk about the possibility of an Austro-Hungarian colony.”
Ja, mein Kaiser,” replied Andrassy, “ I believe that we should stake our claim to a large segment of the Dark Continent in order to restore our place among the great powers of Europe.”
“ But, surely we should create an alliance system within Europe to secure the safety of our homeland.” the Emperor said.
“ That is the second point on our agenda today your majesty. But I believe that we are un-capable of expanding in Europe without causing a major war with one of our enemies.” Andrassy retorted.
“ Then perhaps we should try and form an alliance with France, to encircle Germany and secure our future as a nation.”
“ That would only provoke war with Germany, you know what Bismarck’s like.” Following this sharp reply, Andrassy left the breakfast room, intent on attempting to lobby the emperor for a colony with his allies in the Imperial Council.

Berlin – 1873 cont.
Wilkommen, Otto,” said the Kaiser jovially as Bismarck entered the living room. “ I hope you have come round to my point of view.”
Nein, mein Kaiser, I don’t believe that African colonies is the way forward for our foreign policy.”
“ That is where you are wrong my good Bismarck, you are so rarely wrong yet you are wrong about Africa. It is the key to securing our place in the world.”
Mein Kaiser, I suggest that we first secure ourselves against a Austro-French joint attack. If we were to exploit our family ties with Britain we could create an alliance to be feared without the world.”
“ But, Bismarck, that is a brilliant idea. Go send the diplomatic message immediately. We will discuss Africa later.”
As Bismarck left the palace for the British Emissary he contemplated on his chances of convincing the mighty nation of Britain to become an ally of Germany. What would Lord Russel say…

Last edited:
I like the alliance system that is developing hear.I wonder what this will mean with the British attitude of Germany gaining colonies?

I am looking forward to the next update.

That greatly complicates things. You'll need to have two governors of the colony, both agreeing on everything; the Austrian side will not elect to have a Hungarian do the job, the Hungarians would probably not be happy with a German doing the job.

Is there any precedence for this in OTL?

Bosnia-Herzegovina.

I like the alliance system that is developing hear.I wonder what this will mean with the British attitude of Germany gaining colonies?

London can use Germany as a colonial buffer between their patches of dirt with flags planted on them and France's patches of dirt with flags planted on them XD

British Emissary, Berlin 1873
Bismarck rang the British Emissary door bell. It was answered by the butler.
Wilkommen Bismarck. What can I do for you today.”
“Have come to see Lord Russel.” Bismarck replied.
“ Ah, do come in. He will see you shortly”.
Lord Russel entered the lobby and lead Bismarck to the meeting room…
5 years later
Europe was now a bipolar continent, two power blocks were at a stalemate on the one side the British-German Alliance , sealed by the Gladstone-Bismarck Pact signed in 1874. On the other the Vienna-Paris Accord. On the British-German side was:
- The British Empire
- The German Empire
- The Kingdom of Italy
- Belgium
- Portugal
- The Russian Empire (don't particularly care about the petty treaties of Europe, unless they can bag themselves a large slice of the Balkans. In over words they're neutral, but prefer Germany and Britain to Austro-Hungary and France.)

In the Vienna-Paris Accord was;
- France
- The Austro-Hungarian Empire
- The Ottoman Empire
- Spain
- Denmark
- The Netherlands

In terms of military and industrial power the BGA was vastly superior, but the VPA was modernising swiftly in all fields. They also had the disadvantage of being separated by two hostile nations. Despite these obvious weaknesses no side wished for war, in the words of Bismarck in his address to the public in 1874;
“This alliance is for peace in Europe, we do not want war, only peace.”
This stalemate would lead to the greatest territory free-for-all the world had ever seen in the heart of the Dark Continent itself.

Last edited: