Expendable 1970's

There is a discussion of 1980's Expendable movie on this site
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=257277&page=2

corte#9 suggested a 1970's Expendable type movie. Here is his post
When I was a kid I always thought that Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Lee Marvin and James Caan should’ve done an action flick together with Christopher Lee, David Carradine and John Saxon as the villains. Didn’t give the script much thought, just thought it’d be kind of a Magnificent Seven-Dirty Dozen type thing. This would be a late 70s film.

Now of course I’m thinking it would make a great Expendables Movie. Throw in Gene Hackman, Burt Reynolds and maybe Roger Moor, George Kennedy and Richard Roundtree and you’ve got one hell of a film! Then in the 90s you do the remake with all the other actors already mentioned in this thread. Hell now that I think about it, you could throw in Stallone and shwarzenegger in the 70s flick as well.

Some other actor who would fit in include, Richard Widmark, Burt Lancaster, and Robert Mitchum,
Possible Directors, Robert Altman, who did the Dirty Dozen, John Struges, who did Magnificent Seven, and Don Siegel, who did the first Dirty Harry film.

The Story that would be the best for a group like this would be a modern adaption of Anabasis. The Greek classic of the Ten Thousand. A group of Soldiers are abandon behind enemy lines and have to fight their way out,

The Walter Hill film the Warriors was a film that updated Anabasis as was British Film The Wild Geese.
A group of soldier is ordered to jump behind the enemy Lines, 1970's Cold War ongoing, They complete their mission but their pickup does not happen. They then must fight to safety.

Yes I forgot McQueen also. The original idea was basically Eastwood & Bronson. Eastwood was of course famous for the ''Dirty Harry'' movies And Bronson was the bad ass vigilante from the ''Death wish'' movies, I thought these two should do a movie together which sadly they never did. I then added James Caan because he had just done ''Rollerball''. When I mentioned this idea to my friends they started adding actors as well such as David Carradine who we knew from the TV show ''Kung Fu'' and ''Death Race 200'' we added other actors as time went by and then it was forgotten. when I saw the commercial for ''The Expendables'' it brought it all back. Wish I had copyrighted the idea now. :mad:

This picture was originally done by the ''thekingsguard'' Any one who want's to do their own version is more than welcome to do so
attachment.php

Director: Sam Peckinpah

Possible Stars:
John Wayne in the Mickey Rourke Role
Clint Eastwood in the Stallone Role
Sean Connery/George Lazenby in the Jason Statham Role
Bruce Lee in the Jet Li role
Richard Roundtree/Jim Kelly/Muhammed Ali as the Terry Crews
Charleton Heston/Charles Bronson as the Randy Couture
Steve McQueen for the Dolph Lundgren

Possible Villains:
Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Al Pacino
Marlon Brando

Hows that so far?

Director: Sam Peckinpah

Possible Stars:
John Wayne in the Mickey Rourke Role
Clint Eastwood in the Stallone Role
Sean Connery/George Lazenby in the Jason Statham Role
Bruce Lee in the Jet Li role
Richard Roundtree/Jim Kelly/Muhammed Ali as the Terry Crews
Charleton Heston/Charles Bronson as the Randy Couture
Steve McQueen for the Dolph Lundgren

Possible Villains:
Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Al Pacino
Marlon Brando

Hows that so far?
I was going to say Peckinpah too, no really. I was going to mention Jim Kelly as well.

I have a confession to make I haven't seen ''The Expendables'' yet. :eek::eek: Been meaning too, just haven't got around to it. Is it good?

I have a confession to make I haven't seen ''The Expendables'' yet. :eek::eek: Been meaning too, just haven't got around to it. Is it good?

Repent and see it at once! If you are an action fan of any degree, both it and the sequel are a near religious expirience!

Going back to the Reed, Harris and Burton thing if nothing else they could drink the bad guys to death.:eek:
That would make for an interesting ending instead of a big shootout they have a big drink off! it be no contest. And it would send a positive message to the children, violence isn't the answer drinking is! :D

Ronald Reagan in the Arnold Schwarzenegger role.

"What's his fucking problem?"

"He wants to be president". :cool:

Well it definitely would havE been better, just abOut all the aforementioned actors were better than any of the stars in otl's version
I very much agree with this and the directors of that era were better as well. The only thing the present and the 90s would have over the 70s is special effects but they rely on that one aspect a little too much.