The Rise of Progressivism

The Rise of Progressivism:
The Election of 1912 and Onwards

Chapter One
Armageddon

Lamenting the loss of Roosevelt's support, Taft wept, murmuring "Roosevelt was my closest friend." He never understood, nor did many others, what freated such a chasm between the two men. They began attacking each other in speeches, Taft calling Progressives "neurotics". Later Roosevelt would respond with name-calling including "puzzle wit" and "fathead". None of their oratory was fitting the office they held (or had held). At the Republican convention in Chicago, it quickly became clear that Taft would previal. Angered by what he perceived as an outrage, Roosevelt launched into a speech for his supporters, invoking Lincoln and God and ending with the phrase "We stand at Armageddon, and we battle for the Lord!"
He determined that a new party would be born with him as its candidate and his agenda on its platform. The Progressive Party met in early August and did just that, although Democratic candidate Woodrow Wilson favored many of the same reforms.
On election night, after a near fatal assassination attempt that had helped Roosevelt and his supporters to coin the term "Bull Moose" and the outpouring of sympathy from that, Taft, who had worked so hard to control the Republican Party despite Roosevelt's campaign, found himself controlling a party that barely even existed.

genusmap.php
  1. Former President Theodore Roosevelt (P-NY)/Governor Hiram Johnson (P-CA); 276 electoral votes, 38.7% of the popular vote
  2. Governor Woodrow Wilson (D-NJ)/Governor Thomas R Marshall (D-IN); 251 electoral votes, 36.2% of the popular vote
  3. President William Howard Taft (R-OH)/Nicholas Murray Butler (R-NY); 4 electoral votes, 22.3% of the popular vote
  4. Eugene V Debbs (S-IN)/Emil Seidel (S-WI); 0 electoral votes, 2.2% of the popular vote
-The American President, by Kathryn Moore​

6080_02_02_11_6_32_46.jpg

A political cartoon depicting the fight between Taft and Roosevelt

The effect that the Presidency of Teddy Roosevelt had on my life, as well as on the lives of countless farmers and workers throughout this great nation, is immeasurable. Doubtlessly one of our greatest Presidents in recent history and of course the man who started this great party.

-Kansas Governor Alfred Landon (Progressive-Kansas), on the Presidency of Theodore Roosevelt​

To continue the great legacies of men like Theodore Roosevelt and Hiram Johnson, and to secure the economic future of America. Those are the reasons why I am running for President in 1932!

-Former Ambassador Herbert Hoover (Progressive-California) announcing his candidacy for President​

When my father lost that devastating loss, he thought that the family was done for good. He went into seclusion the next few months, weeping over not only the loos, but his fall out with Roosevelt, a man he had at one point greatly admired. He also thought that the family would be gone for good.

-Senator Robert Taft (Conservative-Ohio) on his father​

My heart was always with the Progressives. When I was first elected to Congress in 1940, my greatest heroes were the Roosevelts, who had done so much for this country and for this planet. If they were still here, they would weep at what the Progressive Party has become. I myself am mortified.

-Senator Henry M Jackson (Progressive, Independent-Washington) on leaving the Progressive Party​

Last edited:
This is basically just the start. I'm not sure how I"ll handle working on things like policy, foreign affairs and "curent" events, but this is what I've got so far.

Last edited:
Right now I'm trying to piece together TR's cabinet. suggestions are welcome as I'm at a loss as to who to appoint. Right now, I'm throwing around the names:
  • Leonard Woods for Secretary of War
  • Henry Cabot Lodge for Secretary of State
  • Charles Evan Hughes for Treasury, Attorney General, or something else
  • For Secretary of Agriculture, possibilities are Alf Landon (who at the time was an aid for a Kansas politician) or Henry C Wallace
If any of you have suggestions as to who should go where, I'd appreciate suggestions.

Last edited:
So it turns out Landon, who supported TR's bid in 1912, was pretty much a political nobody back then. So, I can't use him.

Well, I had this big post typed up for TR's cabinet, however it turned out that I wasn't logged in, so that's gone. :(

teddy-roosevelt.jpg

The Cabinet of President Theodore Roosevelt

Secretary of State
Elihu Root
Elihu-Root.png

United States Secretary of War 1989-1904
United States Secretary of State 1905-1909
United States Senator from New York 1909-1913
Root was an old hand from the days before 1912. It was primarily him and Wood who helped to shape Roosevelt's policy throughout his second term. Lincoln was barely involved.
-TR and World War I, John Eisenhower​

Secretary of the Treasury
Albert B Cummins
C000988.jpg

Governor of Iowa 1902-1908
United States Senator From Iowa 1908-1913
During that period, there was a large amount of rising up, and away from the Conservative Repulbican old guard. This was somewhat personified with the appointment of people like Albert B Cummins. He was instrumental in the transformation of the Iowa Republicans. Of course, the Republicans soon became near extinct, however, the transformation itself was necessary.
-Senator Nancy Landon on Progressivism, 1993​

Secretary of War
General Leonard Wood
wood.jpg

Military Governor of Santiago 1898
Military Governor of Cuba 1899-1902
Chief of Staff to the United States Army 1910-1913
TR had first come to know Wood when the former was serving as Assistant Secretary of the Navy. After Roosevelt's tenure there, he had resigned from office and entered the Spanish-American War along with Leonard Wood in the volunteer brigade the "Rough Riders" It was from there and onward that their friendship was forged, and Wood became Roosevelt's greatest adviser on foreign policy.

Attorney General
William E Borah
Williameborah.jpg

United States Senator from Idaho 1907-1913
When Teddy said that he was in every way a radical, he meant it, with the appointments of people such as William Borah of Idaho. He was a man of integrity, though we often disagreed.
-Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt on Theodore Roosevlet (1928)​

Postmaster General
Franklin D Roosevelt
6080_02_02_11_6_33_03.jpg

New York State Senator for Dutchess County 1911-1913
I personally was taken by surprise when asked to join Teddy's cabinet. I had come to admire him for his vicous support for helping the poor and the most defenseless in our country and was glad to serve in his cabinet. In a way, it's why I'm here today.​
-Governor Franklin D Roosevelt on Theodore Roosevelt (1928)​

Secretary of the Navy
Robert Todd Lincoln
240px-Robert_Todd_Lincoln_-_Harris_and_Ewing.jpg

United States Secretary of War 1881-1885
United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom 1889-1893
By 1912, Robert Todd Lincoln had advanced to the state of "Senior Statesman". He was no longer concerned very much with the state of things, concentrating more on speaking engagements, diplomatic visits, and his memoirs. While he played no major role in Theodore Roosevelt's foreign policy, he was qualified for the job and proved himself very good at delegating.

Secretary of the Interior
Jane Addams
jane-addams.jpg

Yet another example of Teddy's radicalism. Jane Adams had worked her entire life to help the poor, and TR knew it. In her capacity, she was involved mostly in housing in the larger cities, such as here in New York.
Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt on Theodore Roosevelt (1928)​

Secretary of Agriculture
Leslie M Shaw
250px-Leslie_Shaw,_Bain_photo_portrait.jpg

Governor of Iowa 1899-1902
United States Secretary of the Treasury 1902-1907
Another of these Western Progressives came from the same state and was in fact Cummin's predecessor in the office of Governor of Iowa. Leslie Shaw had also served as Secretary of the Treasury during TR's first Presidency.​
-Senator Nancy Landon on Progressivism, 1993​

Secretary of Commerce
Henry Ford
Henry%20Ford.jpg
I had never expected to be part of Teddy Roosevelt's cabinet. However, when he asked me to join, I was flattered and though I had a desire to stay at Ford Motor, I hoped that this could be the next step and help me in my future endeavors.
-What a Life, Henry Ford​

Secretary of Labor
Charles Evan Hughes
Hughes1.gif

Governor of New York 1907-1910
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court 1910-1913
Now, Charles Evan Hughes wasn't a man I knew too well. We were from the same state, of course, however he had left for the Supreme Court before I even began my political career. I only came to know him through Teddy while being in his cabinet.
-Governor Franklin D Roosevelt of Theodore Roosevelt, 1928​

Last edited:
I guess copying is the best form of flattery...

But I kid. This is a good start to a fellow Progressivism TL. Our TL's are about at the same area, so lets see how we take them in seperate ways, or maybe theyll be similar?Okay Im going to stop rambling now...Subscribed!

Interesting cabinet choices considering I'm not familiar with World War 1. Keep it going.

I'm not familiar with that time period either. On some choices, like with Leonard Wood, I feel pretty good about choosing. However, the rest are all in question and I have no idea how the state by state butterflies would go with certain people absent from the state politics (ie Idaho and New York). I'll probably run into trouble with this later.

Great start buddy! :D I wonder how the Republican Party will end up. Will they end up dissolving into the Progressive Party, I assume? Or could we see TR try to run for the Republican nomination in 1916? Also, what was the national popular vote?

Great start buddy! :D I wonder how the Republican Party will end up. Will they end up dissolving into the Progressive Party, I assume? Or could we see TR try to run for the Republican nomination in 1916? Also, what was the national popular vote?

Thanks! :) You'll see the (sad) fate of the Republican Party by the 30's/40's. Given that Robert Taft is listed as a "Conservative-Ohio", and Hoover is a "(Progressive-California)", the future will be interesting.

I'll try to put the popular vote into the election post.

I thank you for your thoughts and kind words! :) Given that I have another snow day tomorrow, I hope to get into TR's 3rd term soon.