The Rise of Progressivism

Was Elihu Root on good personal terms with Roosevelt? I seem to recall they had some sort of falling out over something during the Spanish-American War, though I'm probably wrong.

edit: or maybe it's the First World War I'm thinking about.

Was Elihu Root on good personal terms with Roosevelt? I seem to recall they had some sort of falling out over something during the Spanish-American War, though I'm probably wrong.

edit: or maybe it's the First World War I'm thinking about.

I'm not sure. If you could provide a source that's be great. Same goes for the situation in Mexico. I have a book containing a timeline of events in each Presidency so I'll probably use that as a guide.

IF there's any problem with Root being Secretary of State, I can easily make Henry Cabot Lodge Secreatry of State. While Lodge was reportedly a member of the Conservative faction, he was also a friend of Roosevelt and he was an "imperialist" on foreign policy.

The Third Term of

President Theodore Roosevelt

Part One

theodore_roosevelt.jpg

The first great act of President Roosevelt’s third term came before he was even inaugurate. On February 3rd, 1913, the sixteenth amendment was ratified allowing Congress to levy an income tax. This gave President Roosevelt much greater freedom in the way of his economic plans. It was also Roosevelt who garnered enough support from Congress to create the Federal Reserve, which was the concept of a federal bank issuing the currency and deciding interest rates.
Also before he assumed office for the second time, the Mexican general Victoriano Huerta, in an organized coup, became President of Mexico. President Roosevelt, before and upon taking office, denounced the actions of Huerta claiming that as a President, he should step aside so as to make way for federal elections. However, Huerta was unwilling to step away and, with Roosevelt friend Henry Cabot Lodge helping in Congress, President Roosevelt received his declaration of war against Mexico. “The time has now come for freedom” he proclaimed. While the President’s instincts were to have himself ride into battle, upon the advice of a number of his friends, he chose to stay home.
During what came to be known as the “Second Mexican-American War”, United States troops rode across the Mexican border, throwing Huerta from the reigns of power. Instead of following the constitution and having Foreign Minister Francisco S Carvajal become President, instead under Roosevelt’s direction, former interim President Francisco Leon de la Barra became President. This violation of the constitution would always remain a controversial issue among politicians when talking about Mexican-American relations. The Second Mexican-American War lasted a total of thirty one days.
With foreign affairs having been settled as of the moment, the President’s eyes one again turned toward domestic affairs.
A man highly interested in nature and in land preservation, President Roosevelt had been one of the people to work towards the creation of National Parks, though the process had started in the 1870’s. In early 1914, President Roosevelt signed into law the creation of the NPS, or the National Park Service, which was given stewardship over national parks. Also, around that time, President Roosevelt appointed businessman and conservationist Stephen Mather to be Secretary of the Interior, replacing Jane Addams.
Despite his attempt to return to domestic affairs and continue the reforms he felt were needed, his sights would not stay there for long as in Europe, a new conflict was brewing and TR, the Bull Moose, felt that the United States was needed.

-The American President, by Kathryn Moore​

Francisco+Leon+de+la+Barra.gif

Francisco Leon de la Barra, Mexican's 9th and 13th President

While a number of historians might say that the Second Mexican-American War and World War I, then dubbed the Great War, were isolated incidents policy wise, it was originally the Second Mexican-American War that arose President Roosevelt’s love for war and his belief in the greatness of it. That is what made him so eager to join in the European conflict that most likely would have stayed a European conflict had he not been in office. After all, it was he who said "No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumph of war".

-TR and World War I, John Eisenhower​

Germany has reduced savagery to a science, and this great war for the victorious peace of justice must go on until the German cancer is cut clean out of the world body.

-President Theodore Roosevelt on the eventual American entrance into the Great War (1914)​

I personally think President Teddy Roosevelt's efforts in nature preservation is one of his greatest and most leasting legacies, and I think one of the greatest legacies of the Progressive Party.
-Senator Nancy Landon (P-NE) on Progressivism, 1993​

The creation of the Federal Reserve was one of the worst ideas in history, and in part it caused the Great Depression, and we all know what horrible economic policies that brought up.
-Secretary of the Treasury Milton Friedman (C-CA), 1982​

This is just a bump given that I probably won't be able to update this until Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Chapter Two
The Supreme Triumph of War

September 17th, 1914
Teddy: Boy, Hiram! You’ve got to be willing to step up to the plate!
Hiram: Now, Ted, we knew these differences existed back when I agree to be your running mate. However, I am still going to voice my concern. It isn’t’ healthy for America to get caught up in these foreign entanglements, especially concerning Europe. I believe a majority of our party would agree with me on this.
Teddy: As President I promised to defend out allies and make the world safe for Democracy. I will continue that.
Hiram: The rest of the party isn’t going to like it, and I’m not sure if I’ll allow myself to be on your ticket come 1916.
Teddy: Bully! If you think that’s a threat, you should know it takes more than that to fall a Bull Moose!
Hiram: As you’ve said many times before…

hiram-sm.jpg

One of President Roosevelt’s biggest challenges with the entrance into World War I was convincing Congress to give him permission. They had granted it with the Second Mexican-American War, however there weren’t so sure about the prospect of shipping American boys overseas. Isolationists in both parties were unwilling to yield and get America “caught up in foreign entanglements”. One of Roosevelt’s biggest supporters however came from a Conservative Republican. Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, who many would say was “the first Senator Majority Leader, unofficially” was a personal friend of Roosevelt as well as an ally of his on foreign affairs. Despite having been called Imperialist by a number of his detractors including Attorney General William Borah, Lodge was popular in the Senate and the idea had been introduced the he himself might run for President in 1920.
It was only by 1915, after a new Congress had been assembled and after an entire election season of TR raising support for the war, the he was able to receive his declaration of war on Germany and Austria-Hungary.

-The American President, by Kathryn Moore

Teddy Roosevelt in my opinion was one of the most destructive Presidents in the recent history of our nation. Not only did he pursue statist economic goals, but he got America involved in World War I. It was the results of World War I that led to World War II, the loss of more American lives, and increasingly imperialistic foreign policy, and the rise of the Soviet Union.

Senator Robert Taft (C-OH), on Theodore Roosevelt, 1952

Senator Taft’s comments seem obviously biased, considering the result of the 1912 election. Where do you think he gets his hate for my father? It’s all family bias in my opinion.

Senator Theodore Roosevelt Jr. (R-NY), responding to comments made by Robert Taft, 1952

February 3rd, 1915
Teddy: You know, I’ve been thinking…
Henry: As always. About what?
Teddy: Well, Elihu’s not exactly on board with the entire thing. There’s been far too much tension in the room when discussing the war.
Henry: Sounds like it might be time for a replacement.
Teddy: Meanwhile, William Borah, my attorney general, he isn’t exactly on board either. I’ve been having a lot of tension with certain member of my cabinet, most of them being through and through Progressives.
Henry: Well, you can always come back to the Republicans…
Teddy: As much as a appreciate the offer, they’re too bitter after 1912 first off, and second off I’d be in an even worse position with them.
Henry: Well you’ve got to take some course of action.
Teddy: I’m appointing you Secretary of State.

Lodge.jpg

Back when TR appointed Franklin Roosevelt as Labor Secretary, I came into contact with him. After all, I was in business. Even back then he was a son of a bitch, always looking out for big labor as opposed to policies that might actually help the economy. And then when he was elected President! His policies were straight out of his cousin’s play book.

-Almost President-Conversations with Joseph Patrick Kennedy, 1964
Joseph_Patrick_Kenn_194884a.jpg

The Cabinet of President Theodore Roosevelt (ca. late 1915)
Secretary of State-Henry Cabot Lodge
Secretary of the Treasury-Neslon W Aldrich
Secretary of War-Leonard Wood
Attorney General-Charles Evan Hughes
Postmaster General-Harol L Ickes
Secretary of the Navy-Robert T Lincoln
Secretary of the Interior-Stephen Mather
Secretary of Agriculture-Albert B Cummins
Secretary of Commerce-Henry Ford
Secretary of Labor-Franklin D Roosevelt

Last edited:
Thanks! Are there any specific people you like?

NOTE: During the interview with Joe Kennedy, I accidently wrote "husband's" instead of "cousin's".

Well, I just like that you have so many of the forerunners of these political dynasties involved. Of course, TR is POTUS, and then you have Nelson Aldrich representing the Rockefellers, Henry Cabot Lodge at State, FDR at Labor, and Henry Ford at Commerce! It's just a really cool Cabinet IMO. In fact, it was this same sort of awesomeness that I went for when I was writing the Cabinet for Huey Long in my TL. Great minds think alike.:p

Well, I just like that you have so many of the forerunners of these political dynasties involved. Of course, TR is POTUS, and then you have Nelson Aldrich representing the Rockefellers, Henry Cabot Lodge at State, FDR at Labor, and Henry Ford at Commerce! It's just a really cool Cabinet IMO. In fact, it was this same sort of awesomeness that I went for when I was writing the Cabinet for Huey Long in my TL. Great minds think alike.:p

That was basically part of my goal with the cabinet and I'm glad you liked it. From what I'm planning, the Rockefellers should play a big role in this. Also, with Lodge away from Massachusetts, this opens the door for some different Massachusetts politicians. ;)

That was basically part of my goal with the cabinet and I'm glad you liked it. From what I'm planning, the Rockefellers should play a big role in this. Also, with Lodge away from Massachusetts, this opens the door for some different Massachusetts politicians. ;)

Rockefellers vs. Kennedys. I love it so.

Is FDR still a Democrat? I think it'd be kinda more interesting if he was, but I guess that party membership may be butterflied away. Also, a typo in your Kathryn Moore quote. (WWI not II)

Is FDR still a Democrat? I think it'd be kinda more interesting if he was, but I guess that party membership may be butterflied away. Also, a typo in your Kathryn Moore quote. (WWI not II)

Thanks for the correction. FDR is still a Democrat as of now. I once read a TR timeline where FDR remained a Democrat and became President as a Democrat. All the readers were confused by that and I see this as a chance to make it make sense in my own head. Also, this timeline had the Republicans survivng as a third party, but with them not winning anything since 1908 despite impressive 3rd Party performance. I didn't think that made sense either. My vision of what would happen, or at least a possibility, will be seen. However, this timeline will also have its own departure from reality.