Hitler resumes the Phoney War after the Fall of France.

I recently read a book by Peter Fleming about Operation Sealion. He suggests that one possible course of action for Hitler after the Fall of France, in dealing with Britain, would have been to resume the Phoney War. The point seems to be that the German air-offensive and preparations served only to galvanise British resistance, and created a heroic myth which strengthened the will to go on fighting in Britain, and created sympathy and admiration in America. If the Germans had adopted a defensive posture, then over the course of time, the British would have wearied of the endless privations and economic hardship while questioning the futility of it all. The inability of the British to carry the war to the Germans in any materially significant way would have been highlighted, and a strong peace-lobby may have developed.

I personally do not know if this view has any merit, but what do other people think?

I read somewhere that the British were so stubborn that the higher-ups were afraid German propaganda, instead of saying "we are better than you, give up" would say "It was a good fight, let's call it even." At that point the people would be satisfied that they didn't "lose" and would ask for peace.

So maybe you're on to something.

I have thought about that too. It is not even ASB either given Hitler's wacky racial theories and wet dream of having Anglo-Saxons join him in fighting the Red Beast.

Honestly, I think it would work. The Luftwaffe's supremacy was supreme with no BoB. If Italy gets involved in the North Africa, but Germany stays out, it quickly becomes a stalemate because of British supply lines being too stretched. The British would be repulsed in the air and if left alone at sea, would begin to question why they are throwing rocks at the German bee's nest. The final nail in the coffin would likely be Germany kicking the British out of Greece. With no Lend Lease and defeat after defeat, along with German overtures of desiring a peace after righting the wrongs of WW1, a lot of Brits may go along with it.

However, to work, it probably requires delaying Barbarossa by a year in order to disengage the British and not give them hope. This puts the Russians in a much stronger position, though I still think Germany is better off with a worse Barbarossa and no UK and USA nipping at the heel.

Ryan

Donor
I have thought about that too. It is not even ASB either given Hitler's wacky racial theories and wet dream of having Anglo-Saxons join him in fighting the Red Beast.

Honestly, I think it would work. The Luftwaffe's supremacy was supreme with no BoB. If Italy gets involved in the North Africa, but Germany stays out, it quickly becomes a stalemate because of British supply lines being too stretched. The British would be repulsed in the air and if left alone at sea, would begin to question why they are throwing rocks at the German bee's nest. The final nail in the coffin would likely be Germany kicking the British out of Greece. With no Lend Lease and defeat after defeat, along with German overtures of desiring a peace after righting the wrongs of WW1, a lot of Brits may go along with it.

However, to work, it probably requires delaying Barbarossa by a year in order to disengage the British and not give them hope. This puts the Russians in a much stronger position, though I still think Germany is better off with a worse Barbarossa and no UK and USA nipping at the heel.

if Italy is on it's own then how would it become a stalemate? weren't the British steamrolling the Italians until the Germans came along?

would Greece still have been invaded if the Italians have been finished off in Africa, and it's clear that Germany won't run to their aid every time they get stomped?

Gives Britain a huge morale boost from the fact it appears the Germans are either not able to attack the British islands (they can't hurt us!) or unwilling (they are afraid of us!). Further morale boosts will come with subsequent victories in North Africa over the Italians and the fall of Libya will imperil Italy and thus Germany's southern flank.

This puts the Russians in a much stronger position, though I still think Germany is better off with a worse Barbarossa and no UK and USA nipping at the heel.

Fantasy. A 1942 Barbarossa which stalls well west of the Dvina-Denieper line with no major encirclements is one in which the Soviets are guaranteed to crush the Germans with or without UK and US support. Pretty much it would be this.

Last edited:
if Italy is on it's own then how would it become a stalemate? weren't the British steamrolling the Italians until the Germans came along?
They were, but they would not be able to kick the Italian out of TUnisia, their supply lines would be far too stretched.

Would Greece still have been invaded if the Italians have been finished off in Africa, and it's clear that Germany won't run to their aid every time they get stomped?

It still happened in October 28th when the Italians were not doing so good in Africa. So, Mussolini still probably does something stupid and goes ahead with it.

I recently read a book by Peter Fleming about Operation Sealion. He suggests that one possible course of action for Hitler after the Fall of France, in dealing with Britain, would have been to resume the Phoney War....

I personally do not know if this view has any merit, but what do other people think?

What other strategy had more chance of success?

Gives Britain a huge morale boost from the fact it appears the Germans are either not able to attack the British islands (they can't hurt us!) or unwilling (they are afraid of us!). Further morale boosts will come with subsequent victories in North Africa over the Italians and the fall of Libya will imperil Italy and thus Germany's southern flank.
Okay, Brit wank aside, how will the British be able to fuel kicking the Italians out of Tunisia without another front? They would not be able to mass enough forces on one side. [eDIT: dISREGARD THIS REPLY AND SEE SUBSUQUENT REPLY.]

Fantasy. A 1942 Barbarossa which stalls well west of the Dvina-Denieper line with no major encirclements is one in which the Soviets are guaranteed to crush the Germans with or without UK and US support. Pretty much it would be this.

I have to disagree. I know you ascribe to the theory that the USSR has a fully in-tune 5 million man standing army in 1942 with 5 million well trained reserves. However, the front Russia had to cover is far too big to prevent German breakthroughs were firepower was sufficiently concentrated.

This is not Kursk in 1943, where the Germans actually succeeded in breaking through several defensive lines and simply could not continue going because they exhausted their manpower. The ATL 1942 border is much longer and based upon OTL German abilities to break through stubborn Russian defensive lines in 1942 and 1943, there is no reason they could not break through weak points on a 1500km border.

The Russians will actually have much more of their heavy equipment captured west of the Stalin Line. So, it means the Germans have a much harder go in the initial phase and an easier go in the second phase.

Further, without Britain in the war (which I speculate they drop out after the fall of Greece) the Germans likely have about 4 million better trained men in arms. Their Panzerwaffe will be upgraded due to experiences with French equipment, though this is offset by drastic expansion of Soviet modern tank production. German allies such as Romania, Hungary, and possibly Yugoslavia (which might have fallen into the German camp without British support) means the invading force will be close to 5 million. The initiative goes to the attacker with actually experience in conquering countries, not the USSR. It is not a matter of if, but when the Germans break through because they will have a local superiority in numbers.

It also does not hurt to have an extra year of fuel and food deliveries from the USSR.

Further, being that the invasion ends further west, it prevents the Moscow disaster and in 1943, when German industry hits its stride there is no bombing campaign against it. The war then becomes largely attritional, which for reasons we have debated ad nauseum, germany will win due to equivalent manpower potential in the Axis and better kill ratios.

Last edited:
Okay, Brit wank aside, how will the British be able to fuel kicking the Italians out of Tunisia without another front?

Because they don't need to? Tunisia in 1940 is not Italian. It's French. Kick Italy out of Libya and you have kicked them out of North Africa in total.

Also, the idea of Britain signing a peace deal with Hitler ignores that the British no longer trusted Hitler to keep any treaty he signed.

However, the front Russia had to cover is far too big to prevent German breakthroughs were firepower was sufficiently concentrated.
Assuming the Soviets don't use their superior intelligence to mass counter-concentrations. To being with, bad terrain means that certain sections of the lines are unsuitable for a German offensive and thus would be held by fewer forces on both sides. If the Germans can not achieve a overall breakthrough within the first day (which they won't, given how strong the Molotov-Voroshilov line was planned to be), then the whole thing will be reduced to a slugging match as Soviet reserves flood in. And a slugging match favors the Soviets.

This is not Kursk in 1943, where the Germans actually succeeded in breaking through several defensive lines
But failed to achieve even an overall breakthrough. They only made it halfway through the defensive belt in the south and didn't even make it past the second line in the north.

And yeah, it is not going to be exactly like Kursk but it probably going to resemble it and be the same in terms of overall results. At the absolute worst case for the Soviets, the Germans breakthrough but are too exhausted to successfully exploit it, meaning no major encirclements and allowing the Soviets to withdraw to the Stalin line in good order and with most of their equipment.

and simply could not continue going because they exhausted their manpower.
And because their flanks were collapsing from Soviet counterattacks.

The ATL 1942 border is much longer and based upon OTL German abilities to break through stubborn Russian defensive lines in 1942 and 1943,
The Soviet defensive lines of IOTL 1942 were much weaker then the ITTL Molotov line would be. Except at Sevastopol, where the Germans took an entire month to breakthrough. And in 1943... what German breakthroughs in 1943? The only attempt was Kursk, which was a failure.

The Russians will actually have much more of their heavy equipment captured west of the Stalin Line.
That requires the Germans to not just fight and breakthrough the Soviet First Strategic Echelon, but the Second as well. Not going to happen ITTL.

Further, without Britain in the war (which I speculate they drop out after the fall of Greece) the Germans likely have about 4 million better trained men in arms.
The Germans force devoted to Barbarossa was as large as it was going to get due to manpower, logistical, and raw material constraints.

German allies such as Romania, Hungary, and possibly Yugoslavia
Liabilities.

It is not a matter of if, but when the Germans break through because they will have a local superiority in numbers.
Because the untermenschen Soviets are incapable of putting up stiff resistance even when entrenched in multiple lines of interconnected fortifications with copious quantities of equipment and supplies and full knowledge of where and when the Germans are going to be coming. :rolleyes:

It also does not hurt to have an extra year of fuel and food deliveries from the USSR.
Except Stalin is going to cut the Germans off in the Fall/Winter of 1941-42 if the Germans don't pay up like they are supposed to.

The war then becomes largely attritional, which for reasons we have debated ad nauseum, germany will win due to equivalent manpower potential in the Axis and better kill ratios.
The Germans are not going to achieve such kill ratios and Axis manpower potential was never equivalent to the Soviets, as demonstrated by the fact that the Germans were reduced to the mass conscription 14 year old's in 1942 after suffering roughly 1/3rd the irrecoverable losses the Soviets did. The Soviets, for their part were never quite reduced to such measures. From 1942 on, they have 2 million men coming to age every year. The Germans only have 550,000. With an extra year to build-up their industry and without the damage done to the European USSR's industrial base, the Soviets will not need lend-lease to sustain much greater production rates then the Germans ever hope to achieve.

Sorry, screwing up my geography. Then, let me ask, is Tripoli a realistic British goal?
Given British naval and air superiority over the Italians, especially after Taranto, I would imagine they could capture it in a amphibious assault after they secure Eastern Libya.

Last edited:
The Greeks were quite happily beating the Italians before the Germans invaded and with no Afrika Korps the British would probably roll up the Italians in Libya and Abyssinia. It then depends if Hitler props up Mussolini or which Italian General takes over (or perhaps Victor Emmanuel steps in?).

Round 2

Well, that is a good thought. Of course Britain doesn't trust Hilter to keep a peace treaty. But... England has a strong navy/airforce. It is just their army that has material problems. Sign a "peace" treaty and start really preparing for round 2. Mayby when Germany is hip deep in russia and then go for the jugular.

Duckie

The Greeks were quite happily beating the Italians before the Germans invaded and with no Afrika Korps the British would probably roll up the Italians in Libya and Abyssinia.

Sure, but there will be an Africa Korps and the British won't be able to roll up the Italians in Libya.

Britain in N.Africa and supply lines- Britain has much more sea going resupply capacity than the axis did. The only way this could become an issue is if the retreating Italians make a special effort to ruin ports as they go.

I read somewhere that the British were so stubborn that the higher-ups were afraid German propaganda, instead of saying "we are better than you, give up" would say "It was a good fight, let's call it even." At that point the people would be satisfied that they didn't "lose" and would ask for peace.

So maybe you're on to something.

I'm not sure that's true. The Germans tried to get the Brits to agree to a white peace IOTL. As others said their racial theories worked very well with the Brits ruling its ocean-going empire whilst the Germans rule a mainland Eurasian empire.

Also, the idea of Britain signing a peace deal with Hitler ignores that the British no longer trusted Hitler to keep any treaty he signed.

That's not the point. If Hitler disengaged, if he was not getting involved in Colonial possessions there reaches a point where people stop caring. Now it could be 1 year. It could be 10 years. I'm not God so I don't have a guarenteed number for this. Even if Britain is still "at war" and continues the blockade, without a foothold in Europe it is not a big deal. Theya re not going to start terror bombing German cities without being provoked when for the time being, the Germans can do it 10 times worse.

Assuming the Soviets don't use their superior intelligence to mass counter-concentrations...

What is a good example of this? Kursk? Didn't British intelligence happen with that? This has been butterflied away. And, OTL, they did not trust it until they were co-belligerants.

To being with, bad terrain means that certain sections of the lines are unsuitable for a German offensive and thus would be held by fewer forces on both sides.

OTL, the Germans even successfully attacked right through the Carpathian Mountains. I don't buy this.

If the Germans can not achieve a overall breakthrough within the first day (which they won't, given how strong the Molotov-Voroshilov line was planned to be), then the whole thing will be reduced to a slugging match as Soviet reserves flood in. And a slugging match favors the Soviets.

No, it still favors the Germans man for man, actually. Further, being that the Germans actually broke through in the southern salient in Kursk in OTL but could not continue due to manpower exhaustion, there is no doubting the German capability in 1942 to break through. And, if they break through, they will encircle forward Russian elements.

And yeah, it is not going to be exactly like Kursk but it probably going to resemble it and be the same in terms of overall results.
It is impossible for it to be as bad at Kursk, even half as bad. The lines are many times larger.

At the absolute worst case for the Soviets, the Germans breakthrough but are too exhausted to successfully exploit it, meaning no major encirclements and allowing the Soviets to withdraw to the Stalin line in good order and with most of their equipment.

What we probably see is something similar to OTL Barbarossa, but with much worse German losses (something like the end of 1941 losses but at the end of the first phase of the offensive.) I know I am reversing myself on this point, but I will give you that much. However, the Germans will achieve killing 3 times as many Soviets in the process.

Being that OTL the Germans were willing to continue despite the losses and in ATL they will have a larger army, they will be able to begin the second phase of the offensive against the Stalin Line, which at this point will be much weaker. The Germans will be moving over open ground whatever reserves the RUssians throw in to hold onto Ukraine or Belarus will be lost. German logisitics would not be nearly as stretched, which was the main reason for German failure in 1941, not endless Russian tanks and soldiers.

Because of the Germans likely would be delayed about a month due to the much more difficult opening phase, this probably butterflies any disaster in the winter. This ultimately does not save the Germans men but it will save them their heavy equipment, which a substantial amount was lost OTL. This puts the Germans on similar borders in 1943 as they were in 1942, with more equipment for a stronger mobile reserve, and far better industry behind them ATL.

And because their flanks were collapsing from Soviet counterattacks.
The Russians outnumbered the Germans in Kursk more than 2 to 1. In the opening phase of ATL Barbarossa, it would 1 to 1, with local superiority for the attacker.

That requires the Germans to not just fight and breakthrough the Soviet First Strategic Echelon, but the Second as well. Not going to happen ITTL.
Yeah, it will.

The Germans force devoted to Barbarossa was as large as it was going to get due to manpower, logistical, and raw material constraints.

The Germans have an additional year of preparation. The force in France would be decreased, logisitical constraints would be greatly improved (especially with a friendlier Balkans), and even raw material constraints are eased by an additional year of a war economy with Russian goods to boot.

Liabilities.
Um, no, they still killed Russians at a better than a 1 to 1 ratio. Espeically the Romanians. Heck, bringing in Bulgaria and Yugoslavia simply to avoid a partisan war frees up 5 German divisions (that's OTL used for occupation of Yugoslavia) and prevents there being major partisan activity. All major German wins. It also does not hurt that the Germans get to use them to help with anti-partisan activity in Russia, devoting more German units to the actual fighting.

Because the untermenschen Soviets are incapable of putting up stiff resistance even when entrenched in multiple lines of interconnected fortifications with copious quantities of equipment and supplies and full knowledge of where and when the Germans are going to be coming. :rolleyes:
This is guilty by neo-nazi association, I don't find it very convincing. A 1500KM border is impossible to defend. Period. The Germans even eventually broke through the Maginot Line. An entrenched line over such a distance cannot hold forever, period. The Russians would have to commit reserves and beat the Germans in the open battlefield, where they will freak out even with their new T34s because they have no real combat experience.

Take the Battle of Brody for example. 750 German tanks faced 3,500 Russian tanks. That numbered more than every German tank in the operation. Many of the German tanks were Panzer Is and IIs, would have been phased out by 1942 and replaced with Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs.

Sorry to ruin the Sovietgasm, but 443 tanks in the battle were KVs and T34s. 455 of the 750 German tanks had a 37MM gun or larger. This means the Soviets not only had gun-for-gun an equal amount of "good tanks" if we consider a Pz38t an equal to a T34. Give me a break!

The result? The Germans won the battle, though outnumbered 5 to 1, with a 4 to 1 kill ratio.

This pretty much proves to me that the Germans can and would defeat the Russians in 1942 in the open field.

Except Stalin is going to cut the Germans off in the Fall/Winter of 1941-42 if the Germans don't pay up like they are supposed to.

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe the Germans pay a little bit as an intelligence maneuver, who knows.

The Germans are not going to achieve such kill ratios
Yes they were, the USSR got whipped due to inexperience and a lack of capable commanders. 12 months does not fix that, sorry.

Axis manpower potential was never equivalent to the Soviets, as demonstrated by the fact that the Germans were reduced to the mass conscription 14 year old's in 1942 after suffering roughly 1/3rd the irrecoverable losses the Soviets did.

This is an accuracy screw up as bad as my Tunisia one. The Germans were not mass conscripting 14 year olds in 1942. Provide a source for that. The Russians were conscripting women at that point, however.

Further, no offense, but it is an insult to my intelligence for you to repeat this yarn. I have conclusively shown you that Axis population was roughly equivalent to the SOviet and that OTL, they conscripted nearly identical amounts of soldiers. If refuse to acknowledge the reality of demographics and actual numbers of conscripts in WW2, I cannot help you when you continue to invoke made up or irrelevant anecdotal evidence against it.

The Soviets, for their part were never quite reduced to such measures. From 1942 on, they have 2 million men coming to age every year. The Germans only have 550,000.

There are other members of the Axis Powers you know.

With an extra year to build-up their industry and without the damage done to the European USSR's industrial base, the Soviets will not need lend-lease to sustain much greater production rates then the Germans ever hope to achieve.
Good, because they won't be getting it. And, if I am right that the Germans still break though and essentially achieve end of 1941 borders at the end of 1942, it become irrelevant.

Given British naval and air superiority over the Italians, especially after Taranto, I would imagine they could capture it in a amphibious assault after they secure Eastern Libya.

With what air cover? A couple German divisions of paratroopers would be sufficient to prevent a British-only invasion of the island. Qute frankly, without US support, I don't think they would have a stomach for it. OTL, the British only fully committed to operations they were guarenteed to win. Otherwise, they withdrew. It does not make them cowardly, it's why they were able to fight on. It makes them smart. They can only get so far without US support, they cannot knock Italy out of the war alone.

Ryan

Donor
With what air cover? A couple German divisions of paratroopers would be sufficient to prevent a British-only invasion of the island. Qute frankly, without US support, I don't think they would have a stomach for it. OTL, the British only fully committed to operations they were guarenteed to win. Otherwise, they withdrew. It does not make them cowardly, it's why they were able to fight on. It makes them smart. They can only get so far without US support, they cannot knock Italy out of the war alone.

I think you're getting confused. they're talking about Tripoli (i.e. the main port in Libya) not an island.

without German involvement (which even then only delays it), Italy says goodbye to Libya.

Theya re not going to start terror bombing German cities without being provoked when for the time being, the Germans can do it 10 times worse.

There is little basis for this. Bomber Command was constituted well before the Blitz with the specific intent of conducting strategic bombardment of German cities.

Now it could be 1 year. It could be 10 years.
If Germany can't force Britain into peace by 1942 at the latest, it will have to deal with Britain and the US.

What is a good example of this? Kursk? Didn't British intelligence happen with that?
Not really. The British did try to tell the Soviets that the Germans were going to do it but...

A: The Soviets already knew because of their own spies within Britain (like the Cambridge 6) had already told them what the British were going to tell them.
B: The Soviets already knew because of their spies within Germany (like Red Orchestra).
C: The Soviets had already deduced it.

Both A and B apply ITTL. Indeed, it applies as early as 1941. But those intelligence warnings were wasted as Stalin refused to believe that Hitler would risk a two-front war. At one point, a Soviet spy in the Luftwaffe provided basically the entire German air support plan for the first day and Stalin dismissed it as a British plant trying to provoke the USSR into fighting a war with Germany. His denialism was based on the fact that he desperately did not want to have to fight Germany for at least another year and his rationalization was that Britain was trying to provoke the Soviet Union into the whole thing.

By 1942 ITTL, neither of those apply.

The fact the Soviets knew a ton of the details about Citadel and largely via their own intelligence services long before it commenced is a major part of the story and the fact you don't know it is telling.

OTL, the Germans even successfully attacked right through the Carpathian Mountains.
No they did not. The main axis of advance in the south primarily were from northwest of L'vov and out of the Romanian plain to the South. Only minor holding forces were deployed in the Carpathians.

No, it still favors the Germans man for man, actually.
War is not purely about being better on a man-man basis. If it was, then the Germans would have won even despite being at war with the USSR, the UK, and the United States.

Further, being that the Germans actually broke through in the southern salient in Kursk in OTL
Incorrect. They managed to pummel their way through 3 of the defense lines. Unfortunately for them, the Soviet defensive belt was made up of 6 such lines and the German infantry was incapable of holding the ground gained against the repeated Soviet counterattacks.

If Kursk had just been a bunch of fortified towns and villages, it would have just been a matter of time for the Germans to reduce it. The key to Kursk was that the Soviets had strong counter attack forces at all levels. As the Germans penetrated they found themselves continually hit from all sides.

Kursk is a example of the superiority of an aggressive maneuver defense anchored by fortified lines over just a bunch of static fortresses. The Germans were actually defeated because their own infantry, lacking sufficient armour support, were unable to defend the ground they had captured against tanks.

And you know what? The kind of maneuver defense anchored by fortified lines I just described? It was the kind of defensive set-up the Soviets intended to have in place by 1942. How about that...

And, if they break through, they will encircle forward Russian elements.
This pretends that the Soviets are just going to sit there and do nothing in response. In reality they will not just fight defensively but use local and operational reserves to continuously counter-attack the spearheads which would already be worn down breaking through the Molotov-Voroshilov line, and pulling back in the exposed sections. Furthermore, the prolonged defensive battle will allow them to bring forces from their strategic reserve and entrench them in the path of the German spearhead, so the already-exhausted Germans get sucked right back into yet another grind before they can properly exploit their breakthrough.

It is impossible for it to be as bad at Kursk, even half as bad. The lines are many times larger.
And the Soviets forces are not only larger, but much more skilled and much better equipped, in heavy fortifications. Meanwhile, the Germans will be little different terms of skill or numbers and will not have the element of surprise.

What we probably see is something similar to OTL Barbarossa, but with much worse German losses (something like the end of 1941 losses but at the end of the first phase of the offensive.)
If the Germans suffer 1941-esque losses just breaking through the Molotov-Voroshilov line, then they will definitely be unable to appropriately exploit any breakthroughs before the Soviets can plug the gap.

Being that OTL the Germans were willing to continue despite the losses
Which is why their offensives would implode so spectacularly. Barbarossa at Moscow, Blue at Stalingrad, and Kursk.

they will be able to begin the second phase of the offensive against the Stalin Line, which at this point will be much weaker

The second phase of the offensive will never kick off. The Germans will be too tired to pull it off.

German logisitics would not be nearly as stretched, which was the main reason for German failure in 1941, not endless Russian tanks and soldiers.
This is just wrong... as the foremost Western expert on the Eastern Front put it...

When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Beat Hitler by David Glantz said:
The superb German fighting machine was defeated by more than distance. The German rapier, designed to end conflict cleanly and efficiently, was dulled by repeated and often clumsy blows from a simple, dull, but very large Soviet bludgeon. That bludgeon took the form of successive waves of newly mobilized armies, each taking its toll of the invaders before shattering and being replaced by the next wave. Its mobilization capability saved the Soviet Union from destruction in 1941. While the German command worried about keeping a handful of panzer divisions operational, the Stavka raised and fielded tens of reserve armies. These armies armies were neither well equipped nor well trained. Often the most one could say of them was that they were there, they fought, they bled, and they inflicted damage on their foes. These armies, numbering as many as 96, ultimately proved that quantity possesses a virtue of its own.

If the Red Army had not been the main component of why Barbarossa had failed, then the Germans would have taken Moscow by the end of July.

Now ITTL, these counter-attacks will be less clumsy, much more powerful, and be conducted against German forces who are still fighting their way through defensive positions instead of rolling across open country.

The Russians outnumbered the Germans in Kursk more than 2 to 1.
3:1 actually and that is in the entire area of operations. In the local sectors, the Germans started with superiority but lost it as the prolonged battle allowed the Soviets to bring in reinforcements.

In the opening phase of ATL Barbarossa, it would 1 to 1, with local superiority for the attacker.
3.2 million vs 5 million is closer to 2:1 actually. And the Germans will start with local superiority... only to lose it as the month long grind means the Soviets have all the time they need to reinforce those sectors with reinforcements from the strategic reserve. Hey that sounds familiar...

Yeah, it will.
Because the Germans are ubermenschen who are unaffected by such things as exhaustion or logistical constraints or rapidly losing numerical superiority to find themselves facing 3:1 odds on their attack sectors. :rolleyes:

The Germans have an additional year of preparation. The force in France would be decreased, logisitical constraints would be greatly improved (especially with a friendlier Balkans), and even raw material constraints are eased by an additional year of a war economy with Russian goods to boot.
All of this applies to IOTL 1941-1942. None of it helped.

Um, no, they still killed Russians at a better than a 1 to 1 ratio. Espeically the Romanians.
The Romanians, Hungarians, and Italians were quite incapable of holding any section of the front without major German assistance. The Germans can not afford to have large sections of their front collapse for Soviet forces to run through and wreck havoc in their rear areas.

A 1500KM border is impossible to defend.
Not when you know where and when the enemy is going to attack.

Take the Battle of Brody for example. 750 German tanks faced 3,500 Russian tanks.
The Soviets had 3,500 tanks only on paper. In reality, 60% of those tanks were out of action because of mechanical failure. I see you go on to completely ignore the severe lack of crew training among the Soviets at that battle, another factor that will not apply ITTL 1942.

Many of the German tanks were Panzer Is and IIs, would have been phased out by 1942 and replaced with Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs.
And the Soviets would be fielding not just large numbers of T-34 Model 1941s and KV-1s, but also T-34Ms (which have all of the strengths of the T-34 Model 1941 with none of the weaknesses).

This pretty much proves to me that the Germans can and would defeat the Russians in 1942 in the open field.
Too bad that to begin with their not facing the Red Army in the open field, but in heavily entrenched defensive positions.

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe the Germans pay a little bit as an intelligence maneuver, who knows.
Their going to have to pay a lot more then "a little bit" to satisfy Stalin.

Yes they were, the USSR got whipped due to inexperience and a lack of capable commanders. 12 months does not fix that, sorry.
Actually, it is. The whole point of the reform program that was underway was to give the Red Army the equipment, skill set, and commanders to conduct a modern war. The German invasion actually set this back a year because it killed a whole lot of half-trained Soviet soldiers and officers forcing the Soviets to start over from scratch..

This is an accuracy screw up as bad as my Tunisia one. The Germans were not mass conscripting 14 year olds in 1942.
I was not referring to the period between 1941-1942. I was referring to the war as a whole. The Germans suffered ~7,956,000 irrecoverable losses between 1939 and 1945. Of those, 80% (6,364,800) were lost in the Eastern Front between 1941-1945. Soviet irrecoverable losses were in the range of 11 million (source: When Titans Clashed). So closer to 2:1 actually.

Further, no offense, but it is an insult to my intelligence for you to repeat this yarn. I have conclusively shown you that Axis population was roughly equivalent to the SOviet and that OTL, they conscripted nearly identical amounts of soldiers. If refuse to acknowledge the reality of demographics and actual numbers of conscripts in WW2, I cannot help you when you continue to invoke made up or irrelevant anecdotal evidence against it.
Because your numbers are bullshit. It is functionally 85 million people against ~180 million. The Germans were never able to recruit anything but a very small fraction of the military age manpower from the occupied countries. Most of the Hiwis came from Soviet prisoners of war, which requires huge hauls of prisoners of war which probably will not occur ITTL.

And the Germans conscripted similar numbers to the Soviets? 30 million is similar to 16-18 million (can't find my source on German conscription numbers at the moment, which was my main delay in getting this post up, but I recall it being something like this)? What?

There are other members of the Axis Powers you know.
Their numbers are even more insignificant, the Soviets conscripted more people between 1941-1945 then the entire population of Romania, to say nothing of their quality. The only one who might add significant manpower numbers, Italy, has to devote the overwhelming bulk of it's forces first fighting and then guarding against the British. Especially since the Germans won't help them fight. In fact I could see Mussolini removing the entire Italian contingent from Barbarossa, saying that he needs them against the British.

With what air cover? A couple German divisions of paratroopers would be sufficient to prevent a British-only invasion of the island.
Yeah, I was referring to Tripoli there. For a moment I was wondering if you thought I was referring to Sicily.

That is likely the next British target after they secure North Africa, in any case. Air cover can be provided out of North Africa and Malta as it was IOTL. And without the loss of soldiers to the German Afrika Corps, they will be able to bring in a much larger force to make up for the Americans not being there.

Last edited: