Thandean Representation: The 2010 and 2015 UK Elections under a New Voting System

Thande

Donor
"Thandean Representation" is a voting system (or family of systems) I developed primarily for LTTW, so that a parliament formerly elected from multi-member bloc vote constituencies* could be converted over to a form of proportional or pseudo-proportional representation without actually changing any aspect of the voting process from the point of view of the voter. However, it has also been influenced by my own personal views on the problems of both FPTP** and pure proportional representation systems.
*Definition of bloc vote for those unaware of it: you have a constituency/district/etc with N seats in it, the voters generally have N votes each, and can cast them for whichever candidates they want regardless of party, with the highest N candidates being elected. Used, among others, for many council elections in England and Wales, some state legislature elections in the USA, and formerly more common than not in many nationwide elections in the UK, Canada and USA.

**First-past-the-post, AKA Single Member Plurality or 'Most Votes Wins'; single member constituencies/districts where the candidate with the most votes wins, regardless of whether that represents a percentage majority or not. Currently used for general elections in the UK, Canada, India, Nigeria, etc. and for most elections in the USA.

The issues with FPTP are well documented, though it is of course a matter of opinion whether these constitute problems or not. The most commonly cited problem of FPTP is that the nationwide popular vote percentages do not map at all to how many seats are won by a party. I personally do not find this to be particularly problematic, because FPTP voting systems are fundamentally based on the philosophy that an MP is representing the people of their own constituency, not the whole nation. A more reasonable critique in my view is the fact that one can win an individual constituency with a mere plurality of the vote, sometimes less than 29%, if the opposition is sufficiently divided. In this case it is fair to argue that the MP is not representing the constituency very well because a majority of his constituents voted against him. This gives rise to systems such as the French two-round runoff vote and Alternative Vote/Instant Runoff Voting (AV/IRV) as used in Australia and a few other places.

However, I decided to take a slightly different tack, inspired by the fact that I have always been a little bit uncomfortable with the way modern British parliamentary constituencies are divvied up. You have a lot of situations where a 'natural community' is divided into three constituencies, and then you might have (for instance) Labour winning each constituency on 35-40% of the vote and getting all three seats, while there was clearly sufficient opposition across the community, not merely an individual constituency, to make these seem inequitable. I wanted a system which would allow 'natural communities' to be represented as a unit--whether it worked or not is a bit debatable.

Now the problems with proportional representation systems. There are obviously a wide variety of these and some are better than others (I tend to rather dislike the restrictive second-guessing element of STV for instance but we will not discuss ranked voting systems here). My major beef with proportional representation, besides the fact that it typically lacks such a strong constituency/community link, is the fact that one can have a dramatic shift in voters in a region or indeed across the country but its impact on a national level is often dampened. If the three big parties in a country both lose loads of votes to minor insurgent ones that fall below the threshold, their standing in parliament is barely altered. You can go from let's say 45%/35% for the first and second party in a region to flipping the other way around, a hugely dramatic (some would say too dramatic) impact under FPTP, yet under many PR systems that only represents a few seats changing hands and barely alters the parliamentary arithmetic. This is sometimes described by pro-FPTP advocates as lacking a 'throw the bastards out' mechanism (especially if said bastards can always get first place on a PR list by party machinations). It's not necessarily that fair an argument considering throwing the bastards out under FPTP is often harder than it sounds due to tribal voting, but it is worthy of consideration. There is also the point that PR will allow representation to a party that gets 5% nationwide but never breaks 10% in any particular region, which is counter to my personal view that representatives should be tied to a community--a particular ideology that can't get more than 10% support in any particular community should not be considered an integral part of it worthy of representation.

So basically I wanted a system where a 'nudge' to vote numbers will have a noticeable impact which makes people feel their votes count for something, but not one as overwhelming as under FPTP where a large number of seats can flip on a small change. I also wanted a system where the individual votes earned by an individual candidate have an impact on that candidate's chances, unlike the case under pure party-list PR where it is all about the party. Bloc vote has the latter, but suffers the same FPTP issue that all candidates of a party can grab the seats on offer based on a plurality of the vote. (Bloc vote percentages are usually calculated by the 'top vote' method, where you act as though only the votes earned by the top candidate of a party 'count' for summing purposes).

Therefore I produced Thandean Representation, which normally works like this:

Get a constituency/district/ward that elects three members; it might be an existing OTL one that does this under bloc vote. Ideally all constituencies should elect three members, with VERY rare exceptions allowed for specific circumstances like isolated islands. Just as under bloc vote, every voter gets three votes which they can cast accordingly for any of the candidates regardless of party--usually every party should stand three candidates, and for reasons explained later minor or independent candidates should probably have a full slate of three even if the other two are paper candidates.

Once the votes are counted, calculate percentages under one of two methods--this is the main difference between the two variants of Thandean Representation which will be discussed here.

THANDEREP-ALLVOTE counts all of the votes cast for all candidates of a party to produce a total party vote and then sums all the party votes for a turnout figure, dividing the first by the second to calculate a percentage vote for that party.

THANDEREP-TOPVOTE only counts the votes cast for the leading candidate of each party, then sums these for a turnout figure and derives a percentage by the same way.

This is the only difference between the two methods. ALLVOTE clearly discriminates against parties/independents with only one candidate, whereas TOPVOTE allows a fairer hearing. ALLVOTE is generally better for parties that can command some level of support across a wider area, while TOPVOTE rewards those who can command particularly strong support in a small area.

Regardless of the method used, the three seats are then filled up accordingly:

The party with the highest percentage gets the first seat. Its percentage is then divided in two.

The party with the highest percentage now gets the second seat. This might be the second placed party from the start, or it might be the first party again if it has more than twice as many votes as the second. If it is the second, that party's percentage is now divided in two. if it is the first again, its STARTING percentage is divided in three.

The party with the highest percentage after these changes gets the final seat. It could be the third placed party from the start, or it could be the first party again.

Another way of looking at this in party-list PR (thanks to Owen for suggesting this) is that a vote for a party constitutes a full vote for the first candidate, 1/2 a vote for the second, 1/3 for the third. But this isn't party-list PR and the candidates aren't ranked from the start, so who decides which of the party's three candidates gets to take a seat first? The answer is the voters. Whichever candidate got the highest individual votes to start with is the top candidate, whichever got the second highest is the second candidate, etc. Therefore, the individual who tops the poll is always guaranteed a seat.

This method returns results that look 'more reasonable' to my gut feeling.

If a party gets 71% of the vote across a 3-member constituency it seems reasonable for it to have all three seats with that overwhelming vote.

If a party gets only 49% and another party gets 35%, then it seems reasonable for the first party to get the first and third seats (rewarded for coming top) but the second party to get the second so its sizeable support base is represented.

If a party gets only 49% but the opposition splits between loads of parties with only ~10% each, then it seems reasonable for the first party to get all three seats because although it did not win a majority, there is no coherent, united strand of opposition that deserves representation in its own right, and it would be arbitrary to pick the opposition party that gets 12% rather than the ones who got 11%, 10%, 9%, 9%.

If the top three parties get 35%, 33%, 29% then it seems reasonable for all three to take a seat, because only a small nudge of the votes would be necessary to change this order and the leading party did not get much of a stand-out mandate worthy of additional representation.

Now these are just my gut feelings and you may well disagree, but these are the assumptions I put into this voting system.

Now, I have run the results of the 2010 and 2015 UK general elections through it in order to produce something to discuss. This was easier said than done. Unlike bloc vote councils elections which are easily converted as they usually start out with mostly 3-member wards, the general elections are of course single member FPTP constituencies. So how do you convert that? I combined 3 constituencies at a time to make a new larger 3-member constituency and then used all the OTL votes cast. There are a number of problems with this approach:

• UK parliamentary constituencies are less equal in electorate than in many countries
  • Sometimes 3 constituencies make a natural community, e.g. off the top of my head Croydon, Doncaster, Ealing, Stoke, Hull, Newcastle. Others divide neatly into several 3-member constituencies, e.g. Cornwall, Gloucestershire. However, others do not fit together particularly well, and sometimes the nature of borders forced me to split up a natural community, which was rather aggravating.
  • Unlike a bloc vote election, not everyone in this imaginary 3-member constituency had a vote for every candidate standing in it - people in OTL Doncaster Central like me were not able to vote for Ed Miliband in OTL Doncaster North.
  • Under ALLVOTE this therefore discriminated against parties/independents who only stood in one of the three constituencies - but under TOPVOTE it is effectively throwing out loads of people's only vote, it's not like the proper system where everyone has more than one vote and they're just being pruned down.

So this is very much an approximation. Realistically the UK would be split anew by the Boundary Commission into more natural 3-member constituencies and people would vote differently. However, I think it is still interesting to look at, and may even give some insights into below-the-radar trends with significance for considering the OTL elections.

Therefore, periodically I'm going to post studies and maps for individual parts of the UK here and how their elections would have gone differently under Thandean Representation. (This was partly inspired by Ares96's FPTP Sweden scenario which you should all look at).

But where to begin...?

This seems interesting, but I still can't quite put my finger on how it differs from the Swiss system (other than all constituencies having three members, obviously - also this uses the D'Hondt formula rather than Hagenbach-Bischoff).

Also, thanks for the shout-out.

Hmm, well surely for your case it would be Doncaster I'd have thought.

The East Midlands is really an awkward place to split into trios. Derbyshire is 11 seats, Nottinghamshire 11, Lincolnshire 7, Leicestershire and Rutland 10 and Northamptonshire 7. You have to pick one seat from the region that gets grouped with somewhere else, and the bits of North Lincs in Humberside have 4 seats so that doesn't even help there.

Thande

Donor
Yes, where to begin?

Well, there's an upcoming crucial by-election in Oldham next week, so why not Greater Manchester? Greater Manchester also has the advantage of its 27 OTL constituencies neatly forming 9 3-member Thandean ones, and most of them make coherent natural communities too, which is nice.

I'm not going to post the raw data here due to time constraints, but I may post the spreadsheets at the end if people are interested.

THANDEAN 3-MEMBER CONSTITUENCY IN CAPITALS
OTL component constituency 1
OTL component constituency 2
OTL component constituency 3

BOLTON
Bolton North East
Bolton South East
Bolton West

2010 Members Elected

OTL
Bolton North East - David Crausby
Bolton South East - Yasmin Qureshi
Bolton West - Julie Hilling

ALLVOTE
BOLTON - 1. David Crausby 2. Susan Williams 3. Yasmin Qureshi

TOPVOTE
BOLTON - 1. David Crausby 2. Susan Williams 3. Yasmin Qureshi

2015 Members Elected

OTL
Bolton North East - David Crausby
Bolton South East - Yasmin Qureshi
Bolton West - Chris Green

ALLVOTE
BOLTON - 1. David Crausby 2. Chris Green 3. Julie Hilling

TOPVOTE
BOLTON - 1. David Crausby 2. Chris Green 3. Julie Hilling

We can see here that ThandeRep dampens the relatively small shift of votes between Julie Hilling and her Tory rival between 2010 and 2015, which resulted in her winning a tiny majority in 2010 and then being displaced in 2015 in OTL. It also rewards Hilling for building up a larger number of raw votes than Qureshi in 2015.

In Bolton, ALLVOTE and TOPVOTE produce the same results as each other for both 2010 and 2015. This will be the case in many constituencies, but far from all of them.

One down, 8 to go (for Greater Manchester - 216 to go for the whole UK ;) )

Thande

Donor
BURY & ROCHDALE WESTERN
Heywood and Middleton
Bury North
Bury South

2010 Members Elected

OTL
Heywood and Middleton - Jim Dobbin
Bury North - David Nuttall
Bury South - Ivan Lewis

ALLVOTE
BURY & ROCHDALE WESTERN -1. Ivan Lewis 2. David Nuttall 3. Jim Dobbin

TOPVOTE
BURY & ROCHDALE WESTERN -1. Ivan Lewis 2. David Nuttall 3. Wera Hobhouse

2015 Members Elected

OTL
Heywood and Middleton - Liz McInnes
Bury North - David Nuttall
Bury South - Ivan Lewis

ALLVOTE
BURY & ROCHDALE WESTERN -1. Ivan Lewis 2. David Nuttall 3. Liz McInnes

TOPVOTE
BURY & ROCHDALE WESTERN -1. Ivan Lewis 2. David Nuttall 3. John Bickley

For ALLVOTE 2010 the Lib Dems miss out on a seat by two votes! Indicating this system has some of the 'turning on a single vote' drama of FPTP but without quite the all-or-nothing consequences! They get this seat in TOPVOTE instead due to the different calculation.

Much the same distinction is true (albeit not quite as close) for UKIP in the Lib Dems' place, speaking for how unexpectedly (to me at least) impressive John Bickley's general election performance was in Heywood and Middleton, rather than collapsing after the by-election.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Interesting, that certainly feels a bit more natural for Bolton if you compare with the council results. Do you have a map done already or should somebody get started on one?

I will be working on some maps (which will use the percentage figures I'm not posting here because the code is a pig to make it fit into columns) but I'm more than willing for others to post them.

Ares - I remember Owen compared ThandeRep to some existing OTL electoral systems, Switzerland might have been one of them. There are no original ideas that haven't been thought of, etc.

Anyway got to go now but I will post some more later.

Tres interessante.
I will be working on some maps (which will use the percentage figures I'm not posting here because the code is a pig to make it fit into columns) but I'm more than willing for others to post them.

Ares - I remember Owen compared ThandeRep to some existing OTL electoral systems, Switzerland might have been one of them. There are no original ideas that haven't been thought of, etc.

Anyway got to go now but I will post some more later.

It was (IIRC Luxembourg was the other).
I would say the biggest difference is that Switzerland lets you give the same candidate two votes.
And isn't Bury North Conservative?

Dom

Great Stuff, Guys!

Helpfully (;)) the London Borough of Bexley is made up of 3 constituencies (2 Conservative, 1 Labour) when you get around to doing London.

Last edited:

Dom

Tres interessante.

It was (IIRC Luxembourg was the other).
I would say the biggest difference is that Switzerland lets you give the same candidate two votes.
And isn't Bury North Conservative?

Yes, David Nuttall has been miscoloured in the OTL bit (but not in ThandREP lists.)

Very interesting.

Combining the existing constituencies might prove tricky outside of the urban areas.

Berkshire, for example, currently has 8 constituencies. Reading East + Reading West + Wokingham makes obvious sense, as does Maidenhead + Windsor + Bracknell. In fact these follow pretty well from how I'd suggest the local government should be organised, so your suggestions seem to fit pretty well there. Of course then you have the two left over on the end - Newbury would probably end up reabsorbing the former North Berkshire areas that are currently in Oxfordshire (again no complaints from me!), but Slough would either have to go back to southern Buckinghamshire which they might not be huge fans of. Somewhere like Oxford would be a much bigger challenge since the city is split into two.

Really though you would need to start the whole thing again from the ward level, or less. It would be an interesting project. What sort of sizes were you considering? Obviously the current 650 has about 70,000 people per constituency (varying a lot between countries), and reducing it to 600 would have increased that to 75,000. Limiting it to around 200,000-250,000 per 3-member constituency could be sensible, obviously a reasonable amount of flexibility would be needed.

I remember there was a website where you could fill in wards to draw constituency boundaries, does anyone happen to have a link to it?

Thande

Donor
MANCHESTER
Manchester Central
Manchester, Gorton
Manchester, Withington

2010 Members Elected

OTL
Manchester Central - Tony Lloyd
Manchester, Gorton - Gerald Kaufman
Manchester, Withington - John Leech

ALLVOTE
MANCHESTER - 1. Tony Lloyd 2. John Leech 3. Sir Gerald Kaufman

TOPVOTE
MANCHESTER - 1. Tony Lloyd 2. John Leech 3. Sir Gerald Kaufman

2015 Members Elected

OTL
Manchester Central - Lucy Powell
Manchester, Gorton - Sir Gerald Kaufman
Manchester, Withington - Jeff Smith

ALLVOTE
MANCHESTER - 1. Sir Gerald Kaufman 2. Jeff Smith 3. Lucy Powell

TOPVOTE
MANCHESTER - 1. Sir Gerald Kaufman 2. Jeff Smith 3. John Leech

As we will see again, the TOPVOTE method tends to favour the Lib Dems in 2015 due to them pulling off a strong numerical performance (if not necessarily an FPTP win) in one seat but failing to get very far in the other two - whereas the ALLVOTE method requires a reasonable performance in all three component seats, so in 2015 Manchester returns three Labour MPs, just as under FPTP. Note the shifting personal vote, with Kaufman going from the most vulnerable Labour MP in 2010 under ALLVOTE to the safest in 2015 as Powell replaces Lloyd (due to a by-election in the interim).

By the way, although this 3-member constituency only takes in the 3 middle OTL constituencies out of the 5 equating to the Manchester council area, they're the only ones with "Manchester" in their name so I decided to just call this seat Manchester rather than Manchester Middle.

Dom

Lib Dem targeting tactics would really have to change in this system, by the looks of it.

Thande

Donor
Yes, David Nuttall has been miscoloured in the OTL bit (but not in ThandREP lists.)

Thanks, I have corrected that.

OLDHAM & ROCHDALE EASTERN
Oldham East and Saddleworth
Oldham West and Royton
Rochdale

2010 Members Elected

OTL
Oldham East and Saddleworth - Phil Woolas
Oldham West and Royton - Michael Meacher
Rochdale - Simon Danczuk

ALLVOTE
OLDHAM & ROCHDALE EASTERN - 1. Michael Meacher 2. Paul Rowen 3. Kashif Ali

TOPVOTE
OLDHAM & ROCHDALE EASTERN - 1. Michael Meacher 2. Paul Rowen 3. Kashif Ali

2015 Members Elected

OTL
Oldham East and Saddleworth - Debbie Abrahams
Oldham West and Royton - Michael Meacher
Rochdale - Simon Danczuk

ALLVOTE
OLDHAM & ROCHDALE EASTERN - 1. Michael Meacher 2. Simon Danczuk 3. Sajjad Hussein

TOPVOTE
OLDHAM & ROCHDALE EASTERN - 1. Michael Meacher 2. Simon Danczuk 3. Sajjad Hussein

Now we come to the area which saw the first by-election of the last parliament and which will now see the first by-election of this one due to Michael Meacher's recent death. Though the two Thandean methods return identical results, both are a stark change to OTL and show how plurality-based Labour's support is here. In 2010 there would have been one Labour, one Lib Dem and one Tory returned (forum Labourites look annoyed) which means Simon Danczuk wouldn't enter Parliament (forum Labourites look conflicted). He'd get in in 2015 though, with the third seat going to a Tory following the collapse of the Lib Dem vote.

Thande

Donor
SALFORD & MANCHESTER NORTHERN
Worsley and Eccles South
Salford and Eccles
Blackley and Broughton

2010 Members Elected

OTL
Worsley and Eccles South - Barbara Keeley
Salford and Eccles - Hazel Blears
Blackley and Broughton - Graham Stringer

ALLVOTE
SALFORD & MANCHESTER NORTHERN - 1. Graham Stringer 2. Iain Lindley 3. Barbara Keeley

TOPVOTE
SALFORD & MANCHESTER NORTHERN - 1. Graham Stringer 2. Iain Lindley 3. Norman Owen

2015 Members Elected

OTL
Worsley and Eccles South - Barbara Keeley
Salford and Eccles - Rebecca Long-Bailey
Blackley and Broughton - Graham Stringer

ALLVOTE
SALFORD & MANCHESTER NORTHERN - Graham Stringer 2. Rebecca Long-Bailey 3. Iain Lindley

TOPVOTE
SALFORD & MANCHESTER NORTHERN - 1. Graham Stringer 2. Iain Lindley 3. Rebecca Long-Bailey

Another example where Labour dominance under FPTP masks a more complex reality. One would not have instinctively expected Hazel Blears to be the OTL Labour MP who gets knocked out in 2010 under ThandeRep, and it's not just the nature of her constituency, because her replacement Rebecca Long-Bailey jumps to second place on the hypothetical 'Labour list' in 2015.

Also, "Norman Owen" has to be the most stereotypical name for a Lib Dem ever ;)

Thande

Donor
*STOCKPORT
Stockport
Hazel Grove
Cheadle

2010 Members Elected

OTL
Stockport - Ann Coffey
Hazel Grove - Andrew Stunell
Cheadle - Mark Hunter

ALLVOTE
*STOCKPORT - 1. Mark Hunter 2. Ben Jeffreys 3. Andrew Stunnell

TOPVOTE
*STOCKPORT - 1. Mark Hunter 2. Ben Jeffreys 3. Ann Coffey

2015 Members Elected

OTL
Stockport - Ann Coffey
Hazel Grove - William Wragg
Cheadle - Mary Robinson

ALLVOTE
*STOCKPORT - 1. Mary Robinson 2. Ann Coffey 3. Mark Hunter

TOPVOTE
*STOCKPORT - 1. Mary Robinson 2. Ann Coffey 3. Mark Hunter

The asterisk in the name is to avoid confusion as the Thandean seat has the same name as one of its component seats. I have tried to avoid this, but as Stockport is the name of the local authority that maps almost exactly to these three seats, it seemed odd to use any other name.

Labour very narrowly miss out on a seat in 2010 under ALLVOTE but get it under TOPVOTE. Turnout differential really benefits the Lib Dems in this area, which does not stop the vote shifts in 2015 from having an impact under ALLVOTE; TOPVOTE however just returns the same three parties as 2010 but in a different order.