A Simple Leak
  • Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, rumored to be near end of series [1]
    December 9th, 1991

News has comes out of the world of Manga from Japan in particular as Akira Toriyama, famed writer, illustrator, and creator of the famous Dragon Ball series (which is now currently being serialized as Dragon Ball Z) is close to ending the series, with rumors circulating that only a handful of sagas remain before he is finished with Dragon Ball for the time being. Dragon Ball, currently in what is being recognized right now as the Androids Saga, doesn't seem close to being done but with +330 chapters out already, rumors are circulating that Toriyama will end the series before it can get to a bloated amount that dilutes how great his work has been. Now, the rumors are unsubstantiated at the moment and Toriyama himself has not given any comment proving or disproving these rumors, but these rumors have certainly caused a buzz in Japan and to a lesser extent, in Latin America and even in Europe and the United States.

As the rumor continues to circulate and the famed mangaka has refused to give a proper answer, everyone is wondering "What will come after Dragon Ball?"

"When I first read that rumor in the Newspapers, I didn't care too much. Was in the world of comics for a time? Yes, but I didn't understand manga too much in comparison and I had never watched an episode of Dragon Ball before. At the same time, we [SEGA] were holding licensing discussions with Archie, with Fleetway, and with Sirene about a potential Sonic comic book series for all three and were also in discussion with DIC Productions and DIC Animation City to make two Sonic cartoons, so it didn't seem, at least at the time, like a good idea to really care about Toriyama and Dragon Ball when Sonic was the thing I wanted to put all my effort into. Hours later, Shinobu Toyoda walks into my office, newspaper in hand, says 'Have you read this?' with the biggest smile on his face. I nodded but, of course, I didn't want to discuss this further. Fortunately, he didn't go on to talking about it and instead asked me why I wasn't ecstatic. I replied with 'Shinobu, I don't know who Akira Toriyama is, I haven't never read a chapter or watched an episode of Dragon Ball, I am not into manga, so this isn't a big deal to me, but I can respect Toriyama for what he's done for his industry.' A moment of silence followed before Toyoda replied with 'If I get you all the episodes of Dragon Ball, will you watch them and give me your thoughts on it? I'll even give you the Manga of what comes after the current episodes so you can keep up with the story.' I shrugged and made a motion for him to go ahead, I doubted that my mind would be changed but I was open to it. A week later, he arrived at my door with Dragon Ball in tow and handed it off to me and told me he would wait for what my opinions were on everything. I told him I would give him a call and begin to watch just to sate my curiosity and also see what all the buzz was about. When I finished, it had already been a week and a half and I was a fan. I called Shinobu and told him 'Do you think Toriyama will be open to speaking with me?' And well, the story from there is pretty clear." - Tom Kalinske (1944-2027), President of Sega America (1990-1998), in a segment of his interview for the 2015 Documentary Film "Blue Justice : How Sonic changed the Manga Industry"

"It was in the Middle of July of 1992 that I met with Kalinske-san. I was still working on Dragon Ball at the time, but I was getting close to finishing it, I know that much, but I didn't know what I wanted to do after it. When that rumor leaked, I tried to ignore it as much as possible but it kept itching at me that I would have nothing to do after that. Yes, I made Dragon Ball and am currently working on Dragon Ball Super and will forever be proud of them both and glad with the impact it has left on Manga as a whole, but I guess I just didn't want to be forgotten about. Then, I hear about the President of Sega America wanting to meet with me and I decide to listen to what he has to say. After all, its not everyday that the president of a video game and console company wanted to speak to a mangaka. The meeting was private and kept quiet from the public, but I'll let you in on the details today. When we first met, I thought he was going to discuss the idea of making a Dragon Ball game for the Sega consoles and I told him that while I was interested in such an offer, I didn't want the games to bomb and stain Dragon Ball's reputation. He assured me he wasn't here for that purpose and instead brought out a console, the Sega Genesis, and a cartridge of Sonic the Hedgehog from a bag he had on him and asked if I would be interested in playing the game. I had...heard about Sonic-kun for over a year at this point but he wasn't as big a hit in Japan as Mario was, so I didn't know much about him. American and European kids liked him, but I didn't have any strong feelings about him. Regardless, I told him yes and decided to play the game on and off while working on the rest of Z. I didn't expect much, some lukewarm enjoyment at best, but I found myself liking the world and idea of Sonic, though I felt the story and premise could be more fleshed out. I told Kalinske-san I had liked it and he asked if I would be interested in playing the sequel. I agreed and I became hooked on Sonic after the sequel. I asked Kalinske-san what he wanted and he said he wanted me to potentially do a Sonic Manga. I told him to wait until Dragon Ball was finished and then I would consider it. Of course, just because I said that, Kalinske-san kept on speaking to me about it periodically and eventually, around early or mid-1993, I agreed to do one and began to come up with character designs and story ideas for it. It was a long process and it wouldn't release until 1996 at the latest and late 1995 at the earliest due to my main focus being Dragon Ball. I didn't expect how big Sonic would get when I did its manga." - Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), Manga Artist and character designer for Dr. Slump (1980-1984), Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z (1985-1995), Origins of Sonic the Hedgehog (1995-2000), Sonic X (2000-2009), Sonic Prime (2009-2015), & Dragon Ball Super (2015-2024), in a segment of his interview for the 2015 Documentary Film "Blue Justice : How Sonic changed the Manga Industry"

"I remember it, March 27th, 1993, clear as day. I was working in my office and thinking about how to help Kalinske-san with pitching the idea of the Sony partnership to the higher-ups in Japan and he comes walking to me and says 'He's on board!' The two of us cheered and whooped and hollered because we knew what this meant, we had just taken from Nintendo an excellent chance to market our product with one of Japan's greatest magakas. Of course, once we calmed down, I reminded him of the potential deal with Sony to work on the Saturn together and we both grew a little pale. It was then that Tom suddenly took on a small smiled and said..." - Shinobu Toyoda, Executive Vice President and COO of Sega of America (1989-2015) and Liaison between Sega of America and Sega of Japan (1990-2015), during his interview for the 2020 Documentary Film "Console Wars : How SEGA became King"

"...I told him I'd lie, sell to Nakayama and the rest of the board in Japan in a manner similar to how KFC was sold to Japan in the 70s. Toyoda called me crazy, said it wouldn't work, that it was two totally different circumstances, but decided to go along with it anyway. I wasn't a big fan of the Saturn, but Sega of Japan wanted it and they wanted Sonic to be popular in Japan. I could feel their jealousy and was a bit worried they might sabotage us because of that. The manga was going to be made by the same guy who made Dragon Ball, which meant that, at least initially, Sonic could be a big hit in Japan. When we arrived in Japan, both me and Toyoda were sweating bullets and our nervousness amped up in the board room as I pitched the idea of the partnership. Nakayama said he was doubtful of Sony's capabilities to make hardware and software, but he was considering on giving the partnership a chance. However, more minds needed to be changed, so then I said to them 'Toriyama said he'd do the Sonic Manga if the partnership happens. He thinks it would help Sonic's name here along with the manga and a possible anime that could be distributed by Sony.' The news about the proposed partnership was already out there, so they could assume Toriyama knew about it from that, but they had no idea that I had been meeting with Toriyama since 1991 and slowly pushing him to be on board with the idea and Toriyama had said he was interested with or without Sony, so that was a secret and a lie I had just told but to the board, that information meant everything. Toriyama could really fix Sega of Japan's problems and make Sonic a household name there like he did for Son Goku. It got quiet, then the group erupted into a discussion and Toyoda translated what he could hear before Nakayama stood up and said 'Kalinske-san, after careful consideration, I will hold a conversation with Ohga-san to discuss this potential partnership with him further. In the meantime, I want you to keep Toriyama on board and ask when Dragon Ball is finished.' I nodded and me and Shinobu left the room, letting out a huge sigh of relief when we did so. I don't know a lot about what was said at the meeting between Ohga and Nakayama, but it seemed they were on relatively good terms and that when Toriyama was brought up, Ohga wanted to be on board to distribute any possible anime that came out for the Sonic Manga that had his name attached. When I got the call by Nakayama giving me the green-light for the deal, I laughed to myself and said 'checkmate, Yamauchi.'" - Tom Kalinske, during his interview for the 2020 Documentary Film "Console Wars : How SEGA became King" [2]

SEGA and SONY announce partnership at CES; will work together on successor to the Genesis together
    June 7th, 1993

Back in March, rumors began to fly in the media of a potential partnership between SEGA and SONY to work on the successor to the SEGA Genesis together. Much like the rumors about Akira Toriyama almost two years ago, these rumors were largely ignored and placed off the table, though strangely SEGA did pull out of licensing talks with Archie Comics, Fleetway, and other comic companies like them while also pushing the animated shows for Sonic. However, just recently at the most recent Summer Consumer Electronics Show that ran from the third to the sixth, both SEGA and SONY were close to one another and would eventually make an announcement that shocked many in thee global market. The Presidents of the American branches of both companies, Tom Kalinske of Sega and Michael Schulhof of Sony, announced that SEGA and SONY would be working together on the next big system that will compete with the SNES while Nintendo only stated that their intentions is to continue with the SNES for the time being. This new console has been announced as a successor to the relatively successful SEGA Genesis that released in the late 80s and that they hope it improved on the Genesis in every possible way. While both men refused to say whether or not it was the Playstation that SONY has been working on ever since 1991's CES, many believe that the partnership will inevitably produce said system. That is to say, excitement following the announcement has been through the roof and both fans and the media have begun to discuss what will be the specifics of this new gaming system, its name, and the ideas for it while others have theorized what would become of the partnership and what means for gaming in general.

In other news, Dragon Ball creator was seen recently wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog hat and when asked why, he replied with "I think he's a fun character." While this statement is innocuous enough, fans will be fans and they have began to theorize that a Sonic the Hedgehog Manga made by the creator will be coming once Dragon Ball's run has come to an end...

[1] - This leak changes a lot of things and helps out Tom Kalinske quite a bit re:SONY partnership. A lot of Sega's problems otl were caused by SoJ being envious/jealous of the success of SoA & SoE. With Toriyama doing a Sonic Manga after Dragon Ball is finished, they believe Sonic will have a chance to do well as the Manga will boost interest in Sonic, which will lead to more people purchasing their consoles to see what Sonic is all about. This, while risky, prevents the jealousy they had OTL or at least prevents it for some time.

[2] - I don't know if this gamble would be successful or if Kalinske would be fired on the spot, but if successful, I imagine Tom would do well. Also, I don't know who was President of NoA at the time, Google didn't tell me. If anyone knows, feel free to tell me and I will change accordingly.

Of course, this will inevitably take some inspiration from @EternalMadness1997 's work,
    The Sega Generation (which I recommend you check out), but as the timeline diverges more and more, we get an entirely different pop culture and maybe even political scene, though I'm not sure if I want to touch on politics in this TL as well. So expect it to be tied close until the late 90s and go from there. So have fun reading this and all future updates everyone.

Last edited:
    Road to the Saturn; Disney President Katzenberg
  • "The relationship between SEGA and SONY was rather...rocky, at the start. Nakayama and Ohga didn't get along at all, didn't trust each other for a variety of reasons that are very complicated. As it turns out, both of them had major disagreements between one another outside of Toriyama's planned Manga. The first real thing that they actually agreed on really surprised me, when both men told their departments to cancel some of the games they were working on and instead create four titles that would go in tandem with Sonic, being : Xinyak, which was basically their attempt to make a game similar to Metroid what with a intergalactic bounty huntress, The Tale of Emilia, which was their answer to Legend of Zelda, Mesozoic Disaster, which was their own original idea for a horror game with Dinosaurs being the main antagonists to jump on that Jurassic Park craze, and then there was Rule of Law, which was a nation simulator where players could make their own rpg decisions to lead a fictional nation to a golden age. Outside of those four, the other SEGA and SONY games were scrapped as we put focus on those games and ports for the Saturn. Of course, we felt threatened by Atari's Jaguar and Trip's 3DO with their 32 and 64 bit announcements, but everyone decided it was best to ignore them and instead focus on our ideas instead, like the CD and Saturn in specific. There was a lot of room to improve but when SONY came on board, the work to make the successor to the Genesis became a whole lot easier and by the release of the Saturn, we came out with a small but clear lead over Nintendo and other companies like them." - Tom Kalinske, (1944-2027), President of Sega America (1990-1998) in a 2001 interview with Gaming Magazine.

"So, I was the one who suggested coming up with the ideas for both Xinyak and The Tale of Emilia during a meeting on new games we could make while SEGA sent off their old franchise off with a final hurrah on both the CD and the Saturn. So, I was put in the head of their creative teams, with Xinyak being given 75 people and Emilia being given 53. I hated how many hours I worked but I guess it was worth it because those two definitely stood the tests of time and survived while Mesozoic Disaster and Rule of Law completely failed by their third games with newer titles replacing them. So, I had to come up with the basic concepts, designs, and ideas for the characters. For Xinyak, I created its main character first, being Jessica, a brunette with green eyes and a similar body plan to Samus, though their similarities just about ended there, considering that in Xinyak, there is no intergalactic government, the galaxy is largely lawless with various races fighting one another for supremacy, and Jessica doing bounties to bring in cash for her poor family back on Earth. Meanwhile, for the Tale of Emilia, the main character, Emilia, was an orphaned girl who would grow up to be the great hero of her time. Honestly, both games were giant endeavors for me to take but I was proud of what came of them by the end. I was made Sole director of Xinyak for the next decade while I let my friend, Yukawa-san, in control of Emilia." - Kinji Chikae, Creator of the Xinyak and Tale of Emilia game franchises during an interview with SEGA Retro in 2017.

(How rocky was the relationship for SEGA-SONY starting out?)

TOM KALINSKE - Very rocky. SEGA of Japan didn't trust SONY to not muck it all up while SONY of Japan really hated the fact that SEGA was constantly breathing down their necks. Really, it was only the promise of a Sonic Manga by Toriyama that kept both sides interested in continuing the deal and thank god for that because without the manga, I don't think SONY would've stayed on for long.

(Was the Saturn basically a revamped Playstation?)

TOM KALINSKE - Pretty much. Basically everything that was put in for the Saturn was just the Playstation with a SEGA coat of paint. I do kind of feel bad, but everyone knew SEGA wasn't going to let another company steal their thunder,even if they were helping them.

(What caused the creation of Sonic & The Mysterious Stranger?)

TOM KALINSKE - Oh, that game, technically Sonic 4, eh? Well, We initially were stuck with a mainline Sonic game for the Saturn. The Knuckles game was already in development when the Saturn was being made but I had hunch that wouldn't be enough to hold over audiences for the next Sonic title. I did successfully convince the SEGA higher ups for a Tails spin-off game for the CD as well, to go with the release of the Saturn, but we really had a difficult time coming with any real ideas for a new mainline Sonic game. There was Sonic X-treme, but everything that could go wrong for that was. During a meeting, one of the people there, I forgot his name, said something about having recently watched Terminator 1 and 2 and made some off hand comment about how "my kid loves how cool Arnold is." or something like that. I remember bolting up and yelling "THAT'S IT!!!" after hearing that and wrote down my idea on a board : A cool, badass rival to Sonic that was basically Sonic's equal and superior in every way. So, Shadow the Hedgehog was born and the starting ideas for Sonic & The Mysterious Stranger was laid out.

(What was the initial reaction to Shadow by the higher ups?)

TOM KALINSKE -They didn't like it. I mean, Shadow was black and red and looked way too serious when he was first brought before the board of directors. I mean, a hedgehog that has direct inspiration from the Terminator because the idea behind him was from an offhand comment about it? And the fact that he would maybe leave Knuckles in the dust as Sonic's rival. Despite that, I did convince them with my story idea and they warmed up soon enough. Still, they kept a close eye on me and I had to promise this would be the only game Shadow would appear in. I do find it funny how they decided to go against that though when he proved extremely popular with Sonic Adventure 2 and everything. I did a feel a bit betrayed but hey, that's business for you.

(How much of Sonic X-Treme was in Sonic & The Mysterious Stranger?)

TOM KALINSKE - Very little, actually. We only took Tiara Boobowski and her father but then came up with entirely new ideas for the story, plot, enemies, and everything in between. I mean, we made Shadow have seven distinct boss battles along with the mercenaries he hired to do his dirty work for him as well and added on more lore to the Sonic franchise that wasn't initially expected. The plot was rather dark and, pardon the ironic word here, extreme, for a Sonic game, but it gave us the opening to transfer away from the goofy, silly attitude Sonic was always given and replace it with a more grounded, complex and better developed Sonic in the future and that, my friends, is what I consider a major victory."
    - Tom Kalinske during an interview with SEGA Retro in 2019

"Watch out! Sonic the Hedgehog enters a new adventure on his lonesome facing the mysterious dark hedgehog Shadow, who has the goal of destroying the world. Play as the iconic Blue Blur in a race against time to stop Shadow's vile plan before its too late! Get the help of researcher Tiara Boobowski and her father Gazebo in sixteen new zones with seven boss battles to go against Shadow and his mercenaries!" - Magazine Advert for Sonic & The Mysterious Stranger; August 1994

"Four new SEGA game franchises have been confirmed to be planned to come out with the SEGA Saturn following the announcement of the partnership with SONY earlier this year. Titled Projects Tadmor, Fantasal, Prehistoric, and Real-Time, as they have been leaked as, will be four new stories that will be going on as the main SEGA games going forward as the other SEGA franchises will see their final games be released on the SEGA CD and SEGA Saturn . Very little is known about these games at the moment, but what is known is that they are Dark Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Survival Horror, and Role Playing Games respectively. More will come out with the release of the SEGA Saturn." Magazine Excerpt from SEGA Zone; June 1993

"Recent reports have come in that SEGA will now announce the release of three new Sonic games to come with the SEGA Saturn, with one of them being a spin-off for Sonic's plucky sidekick Tails, another game focusing on Knuckles who will feature heavily in Sonic 3, and a third and final Sonic solo game that will focus on the blue hedgehog himself and see him face off against a new dark villain that has goes far worse than Dr. Robotnik's were." - Excerpt from Game Informer, October 1993.

FRANK WELLS, PRESIDENT AND COO OF THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY, DIES IN HELICOPTER CRASH
    April 3rd, 1994

Sad news coming out of Lamoille, Nevada has reached the Walt Disney Company as it has been reported that its President and COO for the last decade, Frank Wells, has died in a helicopter crash. Wells, aged 62 at the time of his death, was a major figure in the animation and movie titan that has held the market in a choke hold with movies such as The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991), and Aladdin (1992) with more films planned to come out, especially with the upcoming summer release of The Lion King and three new rumored movies based on the story of Pocahontas, Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the myth of Hercules that are likely to perform just as well as their predecessors.

In the meantime, Chairman Michael Eisner is reportedly planning to appoint the head of Walt Disney Studios, Jeffrey Katzenberg, to Wells' position. With this news comes a morale boost in the studios as to many in the company, it is Katzenberg who has been the leading figure for many of the animated successes of Disney in recent years.

"When I was promoted to President, I immediately got to work with the animated projects before me. I wasn't going to touch Lion King, I just had a feeling that would be a success, along with the other films that would come out. But I constantly said no to Tarzan and instead kept pushing for The Kingdom of the Sun which Alles wanted. I also worked hard to get Pixar to agree with us for several years. My time as President of Disney was hell, to put it one way, and eventually, by late 1997, I gave up on it all because of Eisner and his desire to control everything. When I quit Disney, I just didn't expect the weird but massively successful road my career would take me on from that moment forward. I mean, who would've ever expected me to make SEGA a massive success in the movie and animation market along with the gaming market?" - Jeffrey Katzenberg, President of Production at Paramount Studios (1978-1984), Chairman of the Walt Disney Studios (1984-1994), President of the Walt Disney Company (1994-1997), President of SEGA of America (1999-2023), Founder, President, & CEO of SEGAmation (1999-2023), Co-Founder, CEO, & President of SEGA Studios (2001-2023), and Founder of the SEGAcast Streaming Service (2011)

Second update finished, third one to come eventually. If anyone would be interested in being a co-author for this timeline, please let me know because I do need the help :)